• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: EA Sports planning subscription service

Soon they will announce "project 10 souls". In exchange for sacrificing 10 newborn children in the name of Kotick, you get an exclusive hat for Mass Effect 3.

Haunted

You pay them money to get a discount on DLC? wowowow

EA trying the "so bad it's good again" adage with evilness, it seems.

joebidenlaugh.gif

Later, EA!

2K kicks your ass anyway :D

UberTag

What's the over-under until this "optional" subscription service becomes "not so optional"?
Put my name down for "roughly 12 months" aka Summer 2012.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
it's pretty hilarious to think that people will be paying microsoft a subscription fee to access to online portion of their games, and then paying EA to play the game online

well, you know what they say about a fool and his money

Afrikan

Snuggler said:
it's pretty hilarious to think that people will be paying microsoft a subscription fee to access to online portion of their games, and then paying EA to play the game online

well, you know what they say about a fool and his money

well didn't Microsoft raise the price of Live? and people still didn't have a problem with it....so you can look at that additional $10 from the Live increase as also a mini subscription. If they didn't have a problem with that....then well, everyone else is going to try to cash in on them as well.

remember, EA took a while to release alternate uniforms in 07, because they wanted to charge for Alternate uniforms for Madden 07 on the 360, even though it would be free for launch PS3 version. They got away with it in 2006 for the 360 version, but it didn't work out for Madden 07.

Balb

What exactly justifies the annual $60 if they're going to charge you money for extra features? You'd think, because of how minimal the upgrades are to each iteration of these games, that the $60 would easily cover them. I suppose the lazy criticism of sports games being "yearly roster updates" won't be far from the truth, unless you pay for the subscription/DLC on top of the $60.

markatisu

squicken said:
By downloadable titles I think it just means demos. Maybe it will have stickiness with regards to your franchise mode once the game proper ships.

The survey I took said you could download the game for a week before it hits retail, then opt to buy it at a 10-30% discount and I guess make it work after the week if you did not feel like going out and buying a copy.

The download would not be a demo, it would be the full game but it would stop working once the game launches if you did not buy it

ajf009

if it's not optional, then my madden days are over

but if it is optional, then will things like roster updates be included in this?

Lothars said:
I don't have a problem with this because you don't have to subscribe to this plus we don't know anything about this if it's true or not.

to all you saying fuck you EA don't subscribe and just ignore it, it's not gonna affect you.
It's another step in the wrong direction. The problem is, there are people who will pay for this bullshit just like there were people willing to shell out money for horse armor. Activision and other publishers are going to jump on the bandwagon once this becomes even a moderate success. The slippery slope argument in this case is very real IMO.

KaYotiX

Banned
Yeah it sux but I love the ppl who say they will never buy an EA product when EA publishes half the games out now days :p

You know other companies are looking for a way to charge subscriptions, get ready because it will prolly be the norm in 2-3 yrs.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
To quote what I see about XBL and PSN+, "It pays for itself!" :p

Not going to lie though, I do like the idea of temp downloads and getting to pay it a week earlier. Pretty neat if you ask me. Still not worth paying for, but I like the idea.

exwallst

No need for rage, this is an almost guaranteed failure. The only question is whether the low hanging fruit will be enough to encourage EA to think this has a future.

I'm sad that every post in this thread so far wasn't a long string of lolololol, but the first post was the next best choice, so I guess it's okay.

Mama Robotnik said:
So pay for internet, then pay for XBL, then pay for the game, then pay for EA Online?

I don't like this, not one bit.
I don't PC game, but for online it's usually (always?) just paying for the internet and you're good to go, right?

Oh, you have the game as a step in your example. Well, paying for the internet and game, and you're good to go, right?

I was hoping when I came in it would be something substantial as a subscription model for sports games has potential but this is not it.

I like how they took the time to develop the infrastructure & tech to deliver games on-demand, and let you play it days before retail release. And then tweaked it so that you still have to pay $60 to keep playing after release.

I'm hoping this is NOT popular, and people don't pay for it. But I seem to have lost the DLC wars of principle & philosophy. This is based on how insanely popular developing content during the actual dev cycle & then charging $15 extra at ship or slightly after ship is. I guess I'm not mad that developers do this, but mad that publishers came up with this evil idea and they received enough positive financial feedback to continue this practice, and strong-arm their other development houses to follow suit.

And to think I laughed when Horse Armor DLC was first offered. Oh, how wrong I was. And this subscription services seems to be the next loss on the horizon. *leans on desk and assumes the position*

Koralsky

Ok, if this happen to be true, for next year versions I should return to PES series.

It's good SEGA and 2K have the best tennis and basketball games.

Sorry EA, you will not get my money that easily.

Wouldnt be that bad with FIFA fans, this year was the first year EA made EPL updates free on consoles as a celebration of record breaking sales.
Next year im sure will be back to 10bucks for all the leagues, extra 5 for extra features sounds nice.

mr stroke

Most of the stuff they are offering is trash. But the early release would tempt some people. I know some die hard sports gamers that would gladly pay $20 a year to play every sports game early

Triphos

Neo Member
Lots of overreactions here. If you care about EA sports games and play a bunch of them every year (I used to get Madden, NCAA, FIFA and NHL), then this'll be somewhat compelling for you.

If you don't care about that stuff, don't use it. It's simple.

You pay them money to get a discount on DLC? wowowow

EA trying the "so bad it's good again" adage with evilness, it seems.

Don't you pay for Xbox Live Gold and PSN+ to get a "discount" for games, DLC, etc?

Yes, you fucking do.

I don't PC game, but for online it's usually (always?) just paying for the internet and you're good to go, right?

For the most part, yes. Unless it's World of Warcraft or some other crappy subscription MMO.

saladine1

Fuck me, the future of gaming is fucking bleak!
Once this shit catches on, then be prepared for everyone else to follow.
I'm glad i'm not an online player. But you have to pity those who live by it....

Top Bottom