• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 |OT| Dragons & Dungeon Mastering

Jisgsaw

Is there any use for

Fane Mask of Shapeshifter?

Seems cool but also doesn't give armor bonus

Well, if you aren't an elf, you can use it to eat the body parts that give skills;
and if you are a rogue Fane, elf in combat can be pretty powerfull, having felmsh sacrifice 9 adrelanine + time warp...

ValfarHL

I chose PetPal with my main Fane. Can anyone tell me why both Lohse and Red Prince also has it??

Afaik they don't start with it. Is it becuase Fane has it?

Also the black cat seem to have died several hours ago. :(

Edit: Also, seeing as Fane can pick locks, I should obviously level thievery with him?
Didn't know this, so he's my petpal and persuasion character. Argh!

kionedrik

∇NKNOWN SHΔPE;249523086 said:
Regarding killing a vendor in Fort Joy:

So I killed Stingtail in the beginning, because I play as the Red Prince. He came up to me and started a fight, which he clearly lost. I did not know until later that he sells Fire-Spells and I think Skills for the warrior-classes. I am doing well on Tactician with my basic spells wit the magician and the knight, but I wonder if there is another vendor in Fort Joy for that stuff? I am inside the forest, after killing all the magisters in town.

He's not the warfare vendor.
The warfare skill vendor is the lizard inside the cave, next to the entrance.
Regarding the pyro skills, your best bet is to buy them from the next hub.

I chose PetPal with my main Fane. Can anyone tell me why both Lohse and Red Prince also has it??

Afaik they don't start with it. Is it becuase Fane has it?

Also the black cat seem to have died several hours ago. :(

Hmm weird that Red Prince has it, he didn't on my game. However Lohse and Ifan had it. I think it's so people can do it without being forced to take it, but yeah it's not worth taking as a result. Can respec out of it in act2(I removed it from one of them, free talent point).

bati

Hmm weird that Red Prince has it, he didn't on my game. However Lohse and Ifan had it. I think it's so people can do it without being forced to take it, but yeah it's not worth taking as a result. Can respec out of it in act2(I removed it from one of them, free talent point).

Pet Pal is default if you pick Conjurer (summoner) preset for one of your companions. You can change it when you finish act 1.

Edit: Also, seeing as Fane can pick locks, I should obviously level thievery with him?
Didn't know this, so he's my petpal and persuasion character. Argh!

There are a lot of lockpicks in the game. Once you get inside the fenced area in Fort Joy you'll find about 30-40 nails. Hammer + nails = lockpicks.

ValfarHL

Pet Pal is default if you pick Conjurer (summoner) preset for one of your companions. You can change it when you finish act 1.

There are a lot of lockpicks in the game. Once you get inside the fenced area in Fort Joy you'll find about 30-40 nails. Hammer + nails = lockpicks.

Thanks and thanks!

Lanrutcon

Respecced my main character from Wits + Dual Wield + Daggers to Finesse + Bow.

I've given daggers all the chance in the world to impress, but they don't. Meanwhile, some high ground and a ranged weapon results in impressive results from day 1.

Xeteh

I've given daggers all the chance in the world to impress, but they don't. Meanwhile, some high ground and a ranged weapon results in impressive results from day 1.

That makes me sad, I love Rogues in games like these but I felt the same and gave up on the stabby dream.

ValfarHL

I have the same feeling.

Considering changing my Sebille Shadowblade with Ifan Wayfarer or Ranger. What do you recommend of the two?

Yeah, Sebille finess hunter is my main damage dealer. She can kill a main target on her first turn or so.

Combined with elementals and utility arrows, she's the mvp in most, if not all fights in my game.

MrCinos

Anyone tried ranged character with glass cannon talent on Tactician? Can you consistently avoid being CC'ed throughout most of the fights?

Lanrutcon

I have the same feeling.

Considering changing my Sebille Shadowblade with Ifan Wayfarer or Ranger. What do you recommend of the two?

You can, at the end of chapter one, completely customise your companions as well. So Wayfarer until you get there, then spec out of Geomancy. Go Crossbows + 2 points in Poly + 2 points in Aero (much later). Pump Finesse, forget every other attribute. Get her to an elevated position, and then rain hell on everything.

Xeteh

Anyone tried ranged character with glass cannon talent on Tactician? Can you consistently avoid being CC'ed throughout most of the fights?

Can't speak of Tactician but even on Classic I had Glass Cannon on my Ranger and enemies would b-line for it to CC. I'm sure you'd have to get Stench if you wanted to keep people away from it.

Rhoc

I have a question for Fane
In Act 1 you get a elven face from the elve in the cave but i ate it to see the memory. But now i saw that i need a elven face to craft the shapeshift mask for Fane. Question is can i get more elven faces later or did I fuck up.

Lanrutcon

What is the difference between bow and xbow?

Crossbows are heavier hitting. Only reason I have a bow on my dwarf is because I need to retain mobility.

In Act 1 you get a elven face from the elve in the cave but i ate it to see the memory. But now i saw that i need a elven face to craft the shapeshift mask for Fane. Question is can i get more elven faces later or did I fuck up.

Nah, you can get many many more later.

Sarcasm

Did you try killing some elves?

kionedrik

Dual wielding rogues are a long term investment, just like in the first game. The damage is underwhelming at first but after the mid-game hump my shadowblade can solo almost anyone, or at the very least bring them to near death where my executioner crossbowman can snipe him easily.
It's also a case of the rng gods being merciful and granting you crits but that's always the case when it comes to dex-based dps.

Lanrutcon

Tactical retreat and phoenix dive are usually more than enough for my ranger mobility.

I might give her the scroundel jump skill as well later if needed.

He's got both those, but not phoenix dive. He's my scout & my grenadier though, so I prefer the bow. That being said, if I don't get any bow upgrades then I'll equip an xbow.

Which reminds me of a pet peeve I have with the sequel: grenades weigh a ton, but are severely nerfed due to armor. Why make em weigh that much? Same with lockpicks and disarming tools. Pain in the ass to keep stashing em.

Dual wielding rogues are a long term investment, just like in the first game. The damage is underwhelming at first but after the mid-game hump my shadowblade can solo almost anyone, or at the very least bring them to near death where my executioner crossbowman can snipe him easily.
It's also a case of the rng gods being merciful and granting you crits but that's always the case when it comes to dex-based dps.

Is level 14 long term enough? I'm not saying Dual Wielding isn't viable, I'm saying Dual Wielding isn't as good as Ranged. Straight up. No reason not to pack 2 ranged in a party, especially given how tanky you can make mages now. If Dual Wield had +5% backstab damage instead of the +dodge and complete removal of the off-hand damage penalty at 10 points, then we'd be talking.

Bonezz

Neo Member
Yeah, you had to choose your favorite ones before that battle.

There must be an autosave before that if you really want to fix things up.
Eh I figured that was going to be the case. We ended up starting the new and got lucky with a few pieces of gear and was able to get it going again because my friends stacking lucky charm so we didn't end up reloading . Thanks for the response though.

I think I'm just breezing through Act 3 yet the game keeps alluding to
a future adventure/scene in Arx due to notes I picked up on Deathfog being shipped there
, since I'm doing this so quick with relative ease, I hope there's an Act 4.

Regardless I am enjoying Act 3 alot, especially with so much opportunity for high ground advantage, however I felt like it cheapened the
Sallow Man fight and fights within the Temple of Ralic
, either that or I'm outgearing the area haha. However, after killing
Alexander and eating his head my journal immediately updated with knowing what signs matched with which Gods. And I found the Sallow Man entirely by accident due to noticing a hostile troll in front of a cave.

But yeah I have half the area of Act 3 discovered I think, and again breezing through it. Hoping there's still more content to be had!

So I am pretty exhausted right now, does this mean I should get warfare on my ranger?

That seems to be the case.

My warfare ranger is doing 200-400 damage while the others are still doing 100-ish damage (physical & magic). And both of her ranged and warfare haven't hit level 10 yet.

Sarcasm

That seems to be the case.

My warfare ranger is doing 200-400 damage while the others are still doing 100-ish damage (physical & magic). And both of her ranged and warfare haven't hit level 10 yet.

So I mean you don't use WF skills, but somehow it pumps up the damage of your bow/xbow?

So I mean you don't use WF skills, but somehow it pumps up the damage of your bow/xbow?

Warfare skill (passives) adds your physical weapon damage %, and bow/xbow are physical weapons.

So, on top of your weapon skill passive, warfare passive adds another huge % of damage increase.

erragal

Ranged is just significantly overtuned like it was in the first game. A minmaxed ranged dps character is basically a half difficulty level easier.

Lanrutcon

I'm really fucking bad at this game

Help

Explore and avoid combat as much you can to gear up and gain xp before you start killing shit.
You have a flee button, use it.
Get Thievery on at least one character, and pickpocket people for loot.
Equip your magic characters with shields
Don't fuck with things above your level

No I don't mean with a specific pet pal preset, I picked Enchanter and Wizard for them and had pet pal on both, on top of their own talents(far out man for both iirc). You just get it for free on companions for some reason, but not all of them since I didn't have it on Red Prince so it's weird. In fact if you pick a pet pal preset on them(conjurer/wayfarer) you just lose that free talent point.

That is very very interesting. It seems Warfare needs a little tweak. Will go play around with it after work.

It isn't really a tweak, but the way the % damage are calculated. All the weapon based damage % are additive with main stat bonus it seems. Because you get like 200% from your main stat, adding 5% is a small overall increase. Meanwhile all the skill bonuses like warfare and scoundrel seem to be multiplicative, so they scale a lot better.

On the rogue versus archer thing, I can see if you want to min max why you'd take archer but it's not always better. Archers with maxed huntsman do about the same damage as rogues in backstab position, on non crits. You do get crits added so their damage is superior, and from range.

Also a bunch of their skills actually increase their damage output by a fair amount, like piercing if you line up target, ricochet, ballistic in most situations, barrage if you target all 3 on the same target and assassinate is a huge burst if you start the fight sneaking. The only concern is if for some reason you don't have the elevation bonus, they're A LOT worse.

So their higher damage output is a bit conditional, although a lot of the time it isn't really hard to use a movement skill to get high ground on everything but other mages/archers unless you move them all down(which you can with teleport/netherswap, although range is sometimes an issue).

Rogues on the other hand have an easier to deal with conditional(assuming you have the pawn) due to their very high movement speed from scoundrel bonus, so getting back attack is easy, although sometimes you simply can't when enemies have their backs to a wall. They also can jump on high ground and kill targets there, instead of having to drag everything down with teleports.

Their skills however are sadly pretty low damage, they don't have skills that simply increase their damage a bunch, with the exception of Sawtooth which does a fairly weak bleed effect(and can only be used when the target has no armor for bleeding) and Rupture Tendons which works very well with Chicken but quite often feels wasted when you can just attack the target once more and kill them rather than have them run around. Everything else is mostly debuffs and utility.

I'd say that's the main issue with rogues, their skills are just too focused on status effects and don't do nearly enough damage for a class that's mostly an assassin. Mind you, they do enough in terms of killing stuff, I kill every normal mobs in 2 or 3 attacks each(so 1 turn with adrenaline or not, depending on how tough the mob is, casters/archers is 2 attacks) but compared to a high ground archer, they do less damage and the utility isn't really worth it. A lot of time I use my skills because they do more damage than normal attacks, but I get 0 return out of the effects because the target simply dies before anything can trigger. Only bosses and stuff get affected but a lot are immune to most stuff or have walk it off so it's pretty meh anyway and it's still not hard CC either.

The Pet Pal "bonus talent" on certain companions must be a bug. There's no reason why they should start with three talents while everyone else has two.

On that note, I don't think the Lohse I recruited after Fort Joy has Pet Pal. Unfortunately, I rebuilt her skills shortly after recruiting her, so it's possible I just removed it (since my Fane has Pet Pal already).
Also achievements are now fixed on Steam and can be viewed.

Plenty of hidden achievements.

Good choice, Larian.

Holy shit, Driftwood is amazing. So many great sidequests! Spent hours there last night and barely got through 3 buildings.

When does vendor item actually refresh?

Is it on level up (quite sure it's not)? Or quest/story progression? Or maybe after certain interval?

According to the loading screen tooltip it's on level up or one real time hour.

Any advice for someone not that familiar with party pased tactical RPG's like this, because right now I just feel that the game is being mean to me.

I have gotten out of Fort Joy
by boat, through following the Withermore Soul Jars quest. But after barely surviving the fight against the lizard like void creatures on the beach, I feel like the only way forward is through the deeper forest, where I'm attacked by several unded creatures, and something called a Void Woken Deep Dweller. And it feels like my party is nowhere near ready for that fight.

Can I go somewhere else after escaping by boat like I did, to get more experience and equipment, or am I just expected to git gud?

That entire fight can be avoided. You can either sneak past it or take an alternative route to that portion of the map.

Lanrutcon

No I don't mean with a specific pet pal preset, I picked Enchanter and Wizard for them and had pet pal on both, on top of their own talents(far out man for both iirc). You just get it for free on companions for some reason, but not all of them since I didn't have it on Red Prince so it's weird. In fact if you pick a pet pal preset on them(conjurer/wayfarer) you just lose that free talent point.

It isn't really a tweak, but the way the % damage are calculated. All the weapon based damage % are additive with main stat bonus it seems. Because you get like 200% from your main stat, adding 5% is a small overall increase. Meanwhile all the skill bonuses like warfare and scoundrel seem to be multiplicative, so they scale a lot better.

On the rogue versus archer thing, I can see if you want to min max why you'd take archer but it's not always better. Archers with maxed huntsman do about the same damage as rogues in backstab position, on non crits. You do get crits added so their damage is superior, and from range.

Also a bunch of their skills actually increase their damage output by a fair amount, like piercing if you line up target, ricochet, ballistic in most situations, barrage if you target all 3 on the same target and assassinate is a huge burst if you start the fight sneaking. The only concern is if for some reason you don't have the elevation bonus, they're A LOT worse.

So their higher damage output is a bit conditional, although a lot of the time it isn't really hard to use a movement skill to get high ground on everything but other mages/archers unless you move them all down(which you can with teleport/netherswap, although range is sometimes an issue).

Rogues on the other hand have an easier to deal with conditional(assuming you have the pawn) due to their very high movement speed from scoundrel bonus, so getting back attack is easy, although sometimes you simply can't when enemies have their backs to a wall. They also can jump on high ground and kill targets there, instead of having to drag everything down with teleports.

Their skills however are sadly pretty low damage, they don't have skills that simply increase their damage a bunch, with the exception of Sawtooth which does a fairly weak bleed effect(and can only be used when the target has no armor for bleeding) and Rupture Tendons which works very well with Chicken but quite often feels wasted when you can just attack the target once more and kill them rather than have them run around. Everything else is mostly debuffs and utility.

I'd say that's the main issue with rogues, their skills are just too focused on status effects and don't do nearly enough damage for a class that's mostly an assassin. Mind you, they do enough in terms of killing stuff, I kill every normal mobs in 2 or 3 attacks each(so 1 turn with adrenaline or not, depending on how tough the mob is, casters/archers is 2 attacks) but compared to a high ground archer, they do less damage and the utility isn't really worth it. A lot of time I use my skills because they do more damage than normal attacks, but I get 0 return out of the effects because the target simply dies before anything can trigger. Only bosses and stuff get affected but a lot are immune to most stuff or have walk it off so it's pretty meh anyway and it's still not hard CC either.

The other issue with Rogues is survivability. They literally have to put themselves in danger to get the job done. Sure, you can have someone teleport a target to a remote location to make it safe for the Rogue to go in...but now you wasted someone else's AP. Meanwhile, Mages with shields can go toe to toe with nasties and Rangers can do their work from miles away. The dodge that Rogues get just isn't reliable enough, plus they can't dodge most spells and abilities at all. Since Runes are % based, your shield and plate users can rune themselves up and become really hard to kill. Rogues can't wear shields and you have to dilute their stats by getting strength if you want them in proper armor. They need casters backing them up with buffs to stay alive, but then you might as well have had the casters do the work in the first place (shield throw doesn't even need strength to do good damage).

I'm like, halfway through chapter 2 and the amount of times I've had to fight stuff without elevated sniper nests nearby can be counted on one hand. Plus, there's been a bunch of exploitable locations where you can place a sniper in such a way that they are virtually untargetable by the AI because they're that high up/far away. Combine that with the "does more damage the further your away" and there is no way a Rogue gets even close in damage output. I had Ifan pop a dude for 700 damage at level 13. Non crit.

Top Bottom