• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza of the North Star (Hokuto ga Gotoku) - character and story details

dreamfall

Gameplay looked phenomenal! Nagoshi leading the charge, Yokoyama being a boss like always. Those encounters looked phenomenal and the world design looks like a lot of fun. HYPE!

Thorgal

How many buckets of manly tears will be shed during the game?

It's kinda sad some of the old VA didn't reprise their role but also understandable given the age of some and dead of others (rip Rei and Raoh va)

How many buckets of manly tears will be shed during the game?

It's kinda sad some of the old VA didn't reprise their role but also understandable given the age of some and dead of others (rip Rei and Raoh va)

By the looks of things they are going all in on the Yakuza VA's anyway, so not sure if they would have used them even if they could. I kinda like the angle they are going for, I love the Yakuza series and this being a Yakuza game with a FOTNS setting and skin is an interesting move. Makes me wonder what other series could work in this format?

And yay for the retro games. Even if they haven't aged well I absolutely love anything like this in games. This is getting imported so fast next year!

lupinko

Does this mean 60fps and 1080p on a base PS4 then with the old PS3 engine?

RGG6 is nice but it's only 900p with some drops from 30fps on PS4 Amateur.

Rymuth

By the looks of things they are going all in on the Yakuza VA's anyway, so not sure if they would have used them even if they could. I kinda like the angle they are going for, I love the Yakuza series and this being a Yakuza game with a FOTNS setting and skin is an interesting move. Makes me wonder what other series could work in this format?

And yay for the retro games. Even if they haven't aged well I absolutely love anything like this in games. This is getting imported so fast next year!

Ruroni Kenshin in the vein of Kenzan/Isshin would be hype. I know people have been begging for Gintama but I think Kenshin would be much more suited to the Yakuza team's sensibilities.

Gematsu has the deets: http://gematsu.com/2017/09/hokuto-ga-gotoku-details-story-four-new-characters-play-spots

Hyahhaa Rally

You can explore the wasteland outside of Eden by riding a buggy. By collecting various materials, you can customize and upgrade your buggy. By upgrading your buggy, its exploration range will also expand. However, be aware of the dangerous outlaws that have formed factions and may attack. Also, by participating in rally races held in the wasteland, you can get various rewards.

Bartender Ken

A mini-game where Kenshiro becomes a bartender and serves customers. Skillfully serve up alcohol in response to the situation and problems of the various customers that show up at the bar.

Death Batting

A mini-game you can play at an old baseball field in the wasteland. Using an iron pole, hit a home run using the bike-riding scoundrels that come your way as balls. This is the Fist of the North Star version of the batting cages. (JESUS FUCKING CHRIST)

Kenshiro Clinic

Kenshiro wears a white robe and cures people by way of “pressure point treatment.” This is a rhythm action-style mini-game. Press the buttons with good timing to skillfully treat the patient. However, some of the patients that come to the clinic are scoundrels. In order to keep the peace in Eden, their “treatment” is necessary.

Black Suit Kenshiro

The “Nightclub” is a symbol of Eden’s nightlife and one of its greatest amusement facilities. At this nightclub, Kenshiro will don the black suit. Protect the nightclub’s proceeds and public order until the very end. Deal with customers who get drunk and act violently in a way that only Kenshiro can.

Sega Mark III (Sega Master System) Version of Hokuto no Ken

When exploring the wasteland, you can excavate a “Game Machine and Game Cabinet,” relics of the civilization of the old world. By taking the excavated game back to Eden, you can play it. In Hokuto ga Gotoku, you can play the Sega Mark III version of the 1986-released side-scrolling action game Hokuto no Ken.

hearing the docter minigame is rhythm based kinda gets me worried that karaoke might not be around this time, i still hope it is especially since you can get Ai Wo Torimodose as a fight song i was hoping for it to be in karaoke as well

also Yakuza VA's

Souther

latest

Jagi

latest

Uighur

Nadai VA has done a couple of characters in the series as well

Rymuth

Hoestess Minigame

"Sorry sir, we have a strict NO TOUCH policy in this establishment."
"Fuck off, I'm here to enjoy myself."
"Atatatatatataata!! You're already impotent..."
"Wha---nooooooo~"

Sounds way too ridiculous imo, this is not what HnK is about...

As for the combat I better hear some hidebu when I am killing some scrubs.

It should fine in the end because yakuza has a lot of goofy moments in side quests and mini games but the main story is usually serious and violent so should work out.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Damn they're cramming every big name character from the Fist of the North Star into this game even though it doesn't make sense chronologically. I'll take it!

danmaku

At first it sounded like a meh idea, but now I'm getting interested. HnK characters + yakuza's brand of craziness is an hilarious match.

cripterion

Its basically Yakuza with a FotNS skin. And thats amazing.

It should fine in the end because yakuza has a lot of goofy moments in side quests and mini games but the main story is usually serious and violent so should work out.

Yeah I know, It doesn't bother me in Yakuza since it's a license they created but from the details posted here it sounds really stupid. I grew up with watching HnK in France and they threw an almost made up the translation making everything sound comical, downright ridiculous at times. Watched it in japanese several times later and yeah while it does have funny elements I've never seen Kenshiro bartend...

C'mon, it's like if they took the Berserk license and made Guts breakdance.

My point is they can take the license and do something great with it with no Yakuza elements. Binary Domain is awesome without following the Yakuza gameplay formula.

It seems like it uses a variation of Y6's combat. In my experience with the demo I hated how it felt compared to the rest of the series, so I'm not super thrilled about it.

It seems like it uses a variation of Y6's combat. In my experience with the demo I hated how it felt compared to the rest of the series, so I'm not super thrilled about it.
Did you mean to post this in the Kiwami 2 thread by any chance?

Cause this really looks like it's own thing in terms of combat. Way more arcadey than any of the Yakuza games have looked.

Did you mean to post this in the Kiwami 2 thread by any chance?

Cause this really looks like it's own thing in terms of combat. Way more arcadey than any of the Yakuza games have looked.

No, I expected Kiwami 2 to use the same combat since it's the same engine, but this caught me by surprise since it's supposed to be using Y5's engine.

Ken looks to be more vertical than Kiryu's ever been, yeah,but the combat seems to have the heavily physics focused feel - couldn't come out with a better description - Y6 had,and it even has that R2 heat transformation thing.

I must say that my experience with Y6's combat was just a one hour demo so I might be very wrong about it. It just that it didn't leave a good first impression and this looks too close to comfort.

TreIII

Yeah I know, It doesn't bother me in Yakuza since it's a license they created but from the details posted here it sounds really stupid. I grew up with watching HnK in France and they threw an almost made up the translation making everything sound comical, downright ridiculous at times. Watched it in japanese several times later and yeah while it does have funny elements I've never seen Kenshiro bartend...

C'mon, it's like if they took the Berserk license and made Guts breakdance.

Admittedly, I'm in the same boat, even though I'm still interested in this game. There's just a few things that I raise my eyebrows at, like how Kenshiro can run a cabaret.

Everything basically sounds like they should have made a Souten no Ken game, instead. Kasumi Kenshiro, being the ladies' man he is, would be much better suited running a cabaret in Shanghai, in between helping his Triad pals.

Rymuth

Nobody knows Souten though. This has way more of an impact than that crappy series has.

Say what you will about the anime, but the manga is easily Hara at his best.
Artwork is great.
Kasumi Kenshiro is a great protagonist.

What it lacked was giving him any worthy/memorable enemies. HnK lives and dies on characters like Souther, Raoh and even Shin.

Souten has no equivalent. They're all jobbers.

No, I expected Kiwami 2 to use the same combat since it's the same engine, but this caught me by surprise since it's supposed to be using Y5's engine.

Ken looks to be more vertical than Kiryu's ever been, yeah,but the combat seems to have the heavily physics focused feel - couldn't come out with a better description - Y6 had,and it even has that R2 heat transformation thing.

I must say that my experience with Y6's combat was just a one hour demo so I might be very wrong about it. It just that it didn't leave a good first impression and this looks too close to comfort.

Nah, I've watched the gameplay and put 100+ hours into Yakuza 6 and I'm not seeing the comparison. This game is far more crazy and arcadey in terms of the moves list shown off, while 6 is somewhat more grounded - especially the special moves. Looks like you can do more crazy combo's and juggle combo's in this if the short gameplay segment was anything to go by.

And 6's combat feels darn good once you get the hang of it. Its different to the last few games but is still very satisfying in its own way. It still very much feels like a Yakuza title, and I personally liked that they finally got round to putting in a proper physics engine. Looks fantastic in motion and makes the larger battles (and they really chuck tons of enemies at you in several story fights) all the more satisfying. Really the main issues with 6's combat is that it doesn't have enough moves (heat especially) compared to previous games. And that's something that Kiwami 2 will remedy (to what extent I don't know, but it looks promising so far).

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
So this is additional to Fist of the North Star? So I get TWO Fist of the North Star games from Yakuza team?

sublimit

Banned
So this is additional to Fist of the North Star? So I get TWO Fist of the North Star games from Yakuza team?

I don't understand what you mean.They are only developing one FOTNS game (this one) as far as i know.It's just that the title is a word play between FOTNS and Yakuza.

Shifty

Top Bottom