• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Waypoint Thread: Vice City Stories

xuchu

Haven't kept up with waypoint but does anyone know if Austin is going to play Nioh? Any tweets for instance. He loves dark souls (2) and has extensive knowledge on the sengoku era. It would probably be right up his alley but I fear that it may just pass him by as he's too busy these days.

Sou Da

Haven't kept up with waypoint but does anyone know if Austin is going to play Nioh? Any tweets for instance. He loves dark souls (2) and has extensive knowledge on the sengoku era. It would probably be right up his alley but I fear that it may just pass him by as he's too busy these days.

They did DD and Let it Die live, it's going to happen.

Patrick seems even more into Dark Souls kind of games, so he probably would be all over that. I don't know if Patrick or Austin are into Onimusha cause it's got a bit of that, too.

lawnchair

Banned
Annoying thought: this was the first time in a while I've listened to a gaming podcast conversation primarily driven by two ladies

It was good

That was good, internet

we agree on one point; it's cool and refreshing to hear two women on a gaming podcast.

we disagree from that point on. it was not good. i don't care if they're men or women or cyborgs, two people fantasizing about videogame characters fucking and discussing the 'art' based around it is shit i did when i was ten. i'm fine with them liking it and having a good time with it, but it's not for me as of about 22 years ago. i'll skip out on the next fanfic podcast. shoulda known better going in. oh well.

yNen4e9.gif

Velikost

Fuck man, that last podcast might've been one of the cringiest things I've ever witnessed. I'd like to think that had Austin been there he would've righted the ship and not let that go on for 20+ minutes, but I'm not so sure.

Gonna have to start reading impressions before I download their podcasts now smh

lawnchair

Banned
Fuck man, that last podcast might've been one of the cringiest things I've ever witnessed. I'd like to think that had Austin been there he would've righted the ship and not let that go on for 20+ minutes, but I'm not so sure.

nah, he wouldn't have. austin loves that shit.

Zojirushi

Gonna have to start reading impressions before I download their podcasts now smh

Have you seen their GOTY stuff?

disporak

Neo Member

Our aim at Waypoint is to cover games with criticality and humanity. It is to give as much attention to the people, passion, and politics of gaming as we have been giving to the products. It is to explore how and why we play, not only because trying to answer those questions will lead us to tell great stories, but because we fundamentally believe that this will offer insight into the wider "state of play," into the culture that games emerge from and that people play in.

It is also our goal to build a new lexicon inside of the gaming community. One that isn't about reaching wider audiences with new stories, but one that will help us address our own failures, systemic and personal. I want you to help us do that, and to hold us to it, too.

We want to learn (together) how to move with compassion and with interest. We want to find and share our own methods of inquiry, so that we can find ways to understand how others differ from us, why they think, act, and play differently—instead of only dismissing them as outsiders.

This will not only help us build common ground to form new, important coalitions, but will also teach us how to address the actual, meaningful differences that have lead us into dramatic and upsetting conflict.

Catvoca

Banned
It's really not that hard to avoid the parts of the site you don't like, and focus on all the other good stuff they put out.

Velikost

nah, he wouldn't have. austin loves that shit.

I feel like this came up before with the whole "ship" thing on an earlier podcast and it only went on for a couple minutes, but who knows.

Have you seen their GOTY stuff?

I don't think so? Is that high school podcast their GOTY stuff? Cause that might be what I was talking about, but I don't remember that well. I don't engage with any of their stuff outside of the podcast, though I did see they got Chief Keef in to play with VR, which I have to respect. Couldn't get any videos to load on whatever shit media player they have baked into their site though, and haven't gone back

Our aim at Waypoint is to cover games with criticality and humanity. It is to give as much attention to the people, passion, and politics of gaming as we have been giving to the products. It is to explore how and why we play, not only because trying to answer those questions will lead us to tell great stories, but because we fundamentally believe that this will offer insight into the wider "state of play," into the culture that games emerge from and that people play in.

It is also our goal to build a new lexicon inside of the gaming community. One that isn't about reaching wider audiences with new stories, but one that will help us address our own failures, systemic and personal. I want you to help us do that, and to hold us to it, too.

We want to learn (together) how to move with compassion and with interest. We want to find and share our own methods of inquiry, so that we can find ways to understand how others differ from us, why they think, act, and play differently—instead of only dismissing them as outsiders.

This will not only help us build common ground to form new, important coalitions, but will also teach us how to address the actual, meaningful differences that have lead us into dramatic and upsetting conflict.
If you mean to suggest that this doesn't line up with the 'daddy list' article, I don't know how it doesn't. Showing different ways people experience games is consistent with that aim of the site.

Adree

Feels weird to dismiss a pair of games in the last Waypoint Radio just because they don't have levity in them. Better to not have any humor than have it go poorly.

Sou Da

Feels weird to dismiss a pair of games in the last Waypoint Radio just because they don't have levity in them. Better to not have any humor than have it go poorly.

It's less that it isn't funny and more that being so self serious in a silly setting makes the game feel a lot drier than it should.

Milijango

It's less that it isn't funny and more that being so self serious in a silly setting makes the game feel a lot drier than it should.

If you grow up with robot dinosaurs you probably aren't going to be wowed by them.

I don't think the setting is even necessarily their concern; the truth is that there are few, if any, pieces of good fiction that don't engage with humour. Obviously we haven't seen much of Horizon's writing but so far it has failed to establish any real personality.

TentPole

I don't think the setting is even necessarily their concern; the truth is that there are few, if any, pieces of good fiction that don't engage with humour. Obviously we haven't seen much of Horizon's writing but so far it has failed to establish any real personality.

That's a crazy thing to say. Many of the best books ever written never engage with humor. For just one example look at just about the entire body of Cormac McCarthy's work.

Milijango

That's a crazy thing to say. Many of the best books ever written never engage with humor. For just one example look at just about the entire body of Cormac McCarthy's work.

Cases can and have been made for Cormac McCarthy's use of humour. Video games in particular really tend to struggle when they go down a self-serious route.

TentPole

Cases can and have been made for Cormac McCarthy's use of humour. Video games in particular really tend to struggle when they go down a self-serious route.

Sure you can argue it (and not necessarily be wrong to do so) but by then you have broadens the meaning of humor to the point of being literally useless in the way you are arguing. I stand by my statement that you are trying to paint with far to large a brush. Pure hyperbole.

Milijango

I don't think that saying "few stories work without any humour" is pure hyperbole. I definitely agree that fiction that never offers levity does exist (not all humour is levity - McCarthy being an example) and can be successful - but it's fair to be sceptical as to whether Horizon Zero Dawn is going to do that well.

I think the problem with what we (or rather Austin) have seen of Horizon is not that it doesn't have comic relief, and it was odd to hear Austin and Danielle beat that particular drum on the stream. After all, it doesn't seem like an especiallly dark game - it may not need that.

The problem is that it has yet to show much personality, and Austin already has concerns about the consistency of the dialogue. Comedy is only one way to achieve that - I think that if in the final game we see characters that are intensely motivated (a villain, an ally, Aloy herself if we're lucky) - that would more than satisfy me.

I just watched Patrick die against the same boss for 50 minutes. I'm so torn on whether I want to get as involved in a game like Nioh right now.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Man, this is chicago sounds fucking rough.

Also austin forgot that you can totally clear out enemies and they won't repopulate in his favourite souls game, Dark souls 2.

spiritfox

If Souls games are just about discovery and sharing with the community, then most MMOs, puzzle games like Fez and The Witness, and hell, a lot of JRPGs are Souls games. It's too simplistic a definition. Games are at the core about discovering stuff about it and learning how to make use of it to your advantage. Pretending that only Souls games can do that belittles many other games that have existed long before Demon's Souls.

The Brooklyn definition of souls-like discussion made me want to pick Lords of the Fallen back up. Not a great game but I enjoyed it. I wonder if The Surge will be good.

tchocky

Boat Party Livestream Trailer

Welcome to the Boat Party, Waypoint's new Twitch livestream starring Vice's Equipment Manager Dan Meyer and his roommate Jason (the Boat Boys). Boat Party is about Dan and Jason’s unique views on the gaming world and the technology that surrounds it. Major themes include building computers, playing cutting edge and vintage games, friendship, industry news, a variety of tech both old and new, and the culture of gaming at large. Welcome aboard!

Brakke

Banned
This podcast. These people are just too horny. I wanna be down for frank discussion of games and sexuality, but c'mon 'pointers. There's nothing worthwhile in just saying "big wet butts" a buncha times.

Milijango

This podcast. These people are just too horny. I wanna be down for frank discussion of games and sexuality, but c'mon 'pointers. There's nothing worthwhile in just saying "big wet butts" a buncha times.

This podcast fucking needs Austin. I'm hard pressed to come up with a single coherent thought that has emerged from either of the two episodes he's been absent from. Yes they're clearly self-aware in their badness, but that doesn't make them listenable.

That said, the two preceding episodes were very good so I'll live.

This podcast fucking needs Austin. I'm hard pressed to come up with a single coherent thought that has emerged from either of the two episodes he's been absent from. Yes they're clearly self-aware in their badness, but that doesn't make them listenable.

That said, the two preceding episodes were very good so I'll live.

I don't understand how this happens since both Danielle and Patrick have been great on their own podcasts.

Top Bottom