• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies Anywhere - New Digital Movie Locker

I'm an idiot and don't understand what the problem is. ELI5? Why can't we buy 4k on iTunes?

If you have it in your iTunes library you can't buy it again. There's no concept of paying for a 4K upgrade. iTunes shows it as having 4K if available but at the moment it only streams in 1080p.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
So I've been able to link Google, Apple and Vudu just fine, but Amazon is refusing to connect, with the MA site showing the error: "Consumer linking failed. Unable to retrieve Amazon MA user information" (the Amazon account was previously successfully linked to DMA)

I haven't found anything about it, so I guess I'll just have to wait and try again later.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
If you have it in your iTunes library you can't buy it again. There's no concept of paying for a 4K upgrade. iTunes shows it as having 4K if available but at the moment it only streams in 1080p.

ok, I stand corrected. It's hanky, but it works..

If you already have the entitlement, you CAN buy it again.

So I had Sherlock Holmes. It was upgraded to HD as a result of MA (and thus "4K" showed up). It was originally an SD digital copy. I played it and like everyone is saying, it was 1080p Dolby Vision. I went into iTunes Store on my Mac and chose "send as gift" and bought it, filled in the email address and it generated a code. I redeemed that code and it now plays in 4K Dolby on my Apple TV.

So I can live with this. Basically studios aren't going to give you free 4K versions on iTunes from this. It is obviously not awesome, but I get it...

tl;dr it looks like you won't get iTunes 4K copies out of this. You WILL get HD HDR copies.. but actual 4K copies you will have to buy on iTunes. The only unknown is if a 4K purchase on Vudu will transfer to iTunes. a 4K purchase on iTunes WILL NOT transfer to Vudu as 4K, only HDX (personally verified)

tl;dr 2 if you get "screwed out of" a 4K iTunes copy from this, you have to "send a gift" of the HD/4K copy to yourself. Then redeem that code and you will have the 4K version.

reKon

Banned
OK so I go to my Google Play Movies app and now ALL my movies from both Amazon and VUDU are showing up there...

I mean this is good, but I'm just confused now haha.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
This is the best thing I've seen in a while - I have an Nvidia Shield TV that I watch everything on, and although the other movie apps are OK (Amazon, Vudu) it's always been a bit of a pain to think "OK which platform did I buy that on so I can watch this...?"

Now I can redeem UV copies in VUDU and watch them in the native Google Play app, I'm happy.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Because he would wreck it

:dead:

Also linked Google and Amazon, got my five movies!

Stupid question: does this prevent you from watching the movies you got from their source (i.e. can I pull up a movie I bought on Amazon Video using the Prime Video app or is everything now funneled to Movies Anywhere?)

reKon

Banned
T Mobile free tuedays give you $5.50 in VUDU credit on the week that they offer that goodie. I usually apply those towards movies on sale now. Picked up digital copy of Fight Club for $2 using this deal. Also around Black Friday time you'll see a ton of deals on $4 and $5 Blu Ray + UV combos for great movies.

rjinaz

:dead:

Also linked Google and Amazon, got my five movies!

Stupid question: does this prevent you from watching the movies you got from their source (i.e. can I pull up a movie I bought on Amazon Video using the Prime Video app or is everything now funneled to Movies Anywhere?)

Absolutely you can.

If you already have the entitlement, you CAN buy it again ONLY from iTunes on PC/Mac.

So I had Sherlock Holmes. It was upgraded to HD as a result of MA (and thus "4K" showed up). It was originally an SD digital copy. I played it and like everyone is saying, it was 1080p Dolby Vision. I went into iTunes Store on my Mac and chose "send as gift" and bought it, filled in the email address and it generated a code. I redeemed that code and it now plays in 4K Dolby on my Apple TV.

So I can live with this. Basically studios aren't going to give you free 4K versions on iTunes from this. It is obviously not awesome, but I get it...

tl;dr it looks like you won't get iTunes 4K copies out of this. You WILL get HD HDR copies.. but actual 4K copies you will have to buy on iTunes. The only unknown is if a 4K purchase on Vudu will transfer to iTunes. a 4K purchase on iTunes WILL NOT transfer to Vudu as 4K, only HDX (personally verified)

tl;dr 2 if you get "screwed out of" a 4K iTunes copy from this, you have to load up iTunes on a PC or Mac, and choose "send gift" of the HD/4K copy to yourself. Then redeem that code and you will have the 4K version.

That seems to be a way roundabout way to get true 4K. You can also gift from iOS iTunes apps in addition to the PC or Mac.

So this is only for certain movie studios, right? i liked Vudu and Google Play and my Disney stuff, but im missing a ton of my Vudu stuff.

At the very least i got Big Hero 6 out of this, i really like that movie.
So I've been able to link Google, Apple and Vudu just fine, but Amazon is refusing to connect, with the MA site showing the error: "Consumer linking failed. Unable to retrieve Amazon MA user information" (the Amazon account was previously successfully linked to DMA)

I haven't found anything about it, so I guess I'll just have to wait and try again later.

Yeah im having the same problem at the moment, but im not sure i even have any Amazon movies i own, haha.

Beefsquid

Neo Member
So this is only for certain movie studios, right? i liked Vudu and Google Play and my Disney stuff, but im missing a ton of my Vudu stuff.

Yeah im having the same problem at the moment, but im not sure i even have any Amazon movies i own, haha.

Vudu took a while to load in all my movies. Seems to do it in batches if you have a lot.

Fox Mulder

So, after seeing nothing come across to or from iTunes and waiting a while I figured I would try to disconnect that one and re-connect it as someone on an earlier page said that was one of the troubleshooting steps. I logged into MA, clicked the Disconnect button for iTunes. It says I have to do this in iTunes itself so the client loads, and takes me to the Account Information page. Now what? I don't see anything that pertains to this on that page.

EDIT - This is what the Help says:

My iTunes account page has no "Movies Anywhere" section at all. Which would explain why I haven't seen anything sync across. Looks like I'm screwed. I'll have to contact Apple.

It's located at the bottom of the Apple ID Summary section, after the options for country/region and computer authorizations.

Should be easy to see if it's there.

It's located at the bottom of the Apple ID Summary section, after the options for country/region and computer authorizations.

Should be there easy to see if it's there.

Mine isn't there. What should I do? I tried contacting support and they had no idea what I was talking about

I'm thinking the apple servers are getting hammered right now. Hopefully they start showing up soon.

I don't buy movies on iTunes anyway. Would be nice for when there are sales there and not on the other services

Fox Mulder

Mine isn't there. What should I do? I tried contacting support and they had no idea what I was talking about

I'd just wait a bit to see if it gets resolved.

I have it linked on both ends but itunes still hasnt sent any of my stuff out to MA, while it has pulled everything to itself. I just bought Lego Batman on Amazon for $2 and it populated everywhere in a few minutes except to itunes.

Yeah I don't see it either. itunes on PC here.

Same issue here. I escalated my issue to the engineers earlier today, so it could be a few days before they get back to me, but they have screen captures of the iTunes account page showing it missing and the Movies Anywhere page showing it linked.

Huh, I redeemed Baby Driver to vudu, but it hasn't updated to moviesanywhere. I wonder how it takes to update.

iTunes hasn't pulled anything into my library for a while.

I'm guessing it's day 1 woes.

Xis

This motivated me to try Vudu’s disc-to-digital service. Tried a stack of about 10 blu-rays, but only three were compatible (wouldn’t work with any Disney films). Still happy to have 3 more digital films for $6. Later will convert some DVDs, looks the Matrix and Lord of the Rings films will work.

Vudu took a while to load in all my movies. Seems to do it in batches if you have a lot.

Can confirm the same. I refresh every few minutes and I see more movies added to My Movies.

This is pretty sweet aside from the no Paramount bit (and from what I have it's pretty much just Star Trek).

My mom will especially be happy, I gave her my old Apple TV which was linked to my DMA account which let her watch some of the Disney movies I would redeem. But as I'm sure people here know, there's no way to stream Ultraviolet movies with an ATV (which I have quite a few of now), now she should be able to load up all those other movies now.

This motivated me to try Vudu's disc-to-digital service. Tried a stack of about 10 blu-rays, but only three were compatible (wouldn't work with any Disney films). Still happy to have 3 more digital films for $6. Later will convert some DVDs, looks the Matrix and Lord of the Rings films will work.

I was wondering about this. Even before this Disney movies didn't work. I assumed it was because of DMA and that now other movies are a part of it now, they wouldn't work. Nice to know they do!

Wag

If you already have the entitlement, you CAN buy it again.

tl;dr 2 if you get "screwed out of" a 4K iTunes copy from this, you have to "send a gift" of the HD/4K copy to yourself. Then redeem that code and you will have the 4K version.

I don't want to buy another $200 box just to get 4k movies. Blah. Even 1080p movies in HDR would be an improvement.

I like my Shield- it's too bad it doesn't support Dolby Vision (Atmos is probably coming).

I'm hoping the other providers (Google, Vudu and Amazon) start upgrading everyone to 4k movies for free and charge a flat rate like Apple to even things out. That way 4k will be available cross-platform on Movies Anywhere.

shanafan

Just heard about this today. I now have my iTunes library in Vudu. Love it.

How do you get the free 4K upgrades for your iTunes movies?

Wag

Just heard about this today. I now have my iTunes library in Vudu. Love it.

No Disney/Marvel movies in Vudu (yet). I'm hoping that will come, especially now it looks like Paramount/Lionsgate will fold (they're not doing well).

Syriel

But as I'm sure people here know, there's no way to stream Ultraviolet movies with an ATV (which I have quite a few of now), now she should be able to load up all those other movies now.

Is VUDU iOS only? Had thought an ATV version dropped recently.

No Disney/Marvel movies in Vudu (yet).

Import your DMA account.
Why didn't you already have that setup?

shanafan

No Disney/Marvel movies in Vudu (yet). I'm hoping that will come, especially now it looks like Paramount/Lionsgate will fold (they're not doing well).

I have Civil War, Doctor Strange, Captain America 1 all in Vudu. Had them for awhile actually.

shanafan

iTunes question.. my Wonder Woman, Spider-Man Homecoming and Baby Driver are UHD in Vudu, but only show up as HD in iTunes. Is there news about when they would be 4K in iTunes?

kennah

iTunes question.. my Wonder Woman, Spider-Man Homecoming and Baby Driver are UHD in Vudu, but only show up as HD in iTunes. Is there news about when they would be 4K in iTunes?

Read up in the thread. Looks like iTunes isn't giving 4k copies.

do we have apps or a timetable yet? didnt see anything on the first page, and I know theres phone apps, talking about roku/fire/xbox

edit: found it on my TCL roku app, haven't seen it show up on xbox yet

For the longest time the only Apple solution was getting it on iPhone or iPad and Air Streaming it to the ATV and IIRC, the quality was reduced to 480p. I don't know if they ever released an App for the new Apple TV, but even then you'd be out of luck if you had an older ATV (which is the case for me)

Are you on PC? I'm on PC and I'm wondering if we need an itunes update to come out or something.

Yes. It greatly annoys me that this isn’t all handled in the web browser to begin with. Apple insists you load up their shitty client in order to do this and even after it loaded I had to put my apple password in three times for some reason to do the link. I think that is where it bugged out.

Wag

Import your DMA account.
Why didn't you already have that setup?

It won't let me, it says I can't integrate that account.

I had no movies on DMA (at least as far as I can remember- I logged in and it showed no movies) and some of the freebies I got (Big Hero 6, etc) aren't showing up on Vudu.

Some movies like Big Hero 6 and Max Max Black & Chrome (Standard edition is on Vudu) don't show up on Vudu, but they do on Amazon.

do we have apps or a timetable yet? didnt see anything on the first page, and I know theres phone apps, talking about roku/fire/xbox

edit: found it on my TCL roku app, haven't seen it show up on xbox yet

You can use YouTube, iTunes, and Amazon for most of your library now. That's why this is so nuts.

Why do you need an app? Just use Vudu, Google/YouTube, or Amazon’s apps on those devices to watch your movies. The library is shared.

OH I totally misunderstood this lol.

I knew before I could put my disney movies into the other apps, but thought that movies anywhere was a program to unify these platforms, not that it was an initiative to unify them across all platforms.

this is way cooler, ha

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Who has the best streaming quality? Always used VUDU because I heard it was the best, but will switch to any non-iTunes app instead of better.

I think almost all of my movies have synced from various services... Except for Rango on Amazon, that is. I wonder who I need to email about that?

Top Bottom