• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space Extraction coming to PSN/XBLA

Mafro

Interesting. I remember the hilarity in the reveal thread, I wonder how much of the trolls will be buying it now? I got this at launch for Wii and loved it, the characters and story were excellent. Probably won't be buying either of the new versions since I'm not planning on getting Move or Natal, and there's zero chance of me buying if it's normal controller-only.

luxarific said:
I'm glad to get to play this game on the systems it should have come out on
Just no.

Red

Speevy said:
The game is 480p. I think you need to see a texture which has been developed for HD televisions.
It is a 480p game being natively rendered at a higher resolution. Textures are still muddy, but my earlier statement was correct.

evangd007

Son of Godzilla said:
Makes one wonder why more Wii games aren't ported to XBLA/PSN.

It's difficult to correctly budget a project that is going to be sold in-store at $50 in one market and online at ~$20 in another market. Also the fact that consumers who paid $50 would feel ripped off compared to the ones who paid $20.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
elrechazao said:
I don't think you've played many xbl games lately ....

You think my number is too high or too low? There's been a few above there, certainly (Portal, Watchmen, Zeno Clash), but most of the larger games are around 500mb-750mb

A few random "large" games from 2010:
Zeno Clash; 2 gb
Chime; 815 mb
Toy Soldiers; 687 mb
Vandal Hearts; 594 mb
Matt Hazard; 573 mb
Snoopy; 556 mb

Mafro said:
Interesting. I remember the hilarity in the reveal thread, I wonder how much of the trolls will be buying it now? I got this at launch for Wii and loved it, the characters and story were excellent. Probably won't be buying either of the new versions since I'm not planning on getting Move or Natal, and there's zero chance of me buying if it's normal controller-only.

Ditto.

As for DS2 link:
where you get that location from?

And I actually grew to like Lexine. I kinda figured that was the whole point to begin with. :(

Son of Godzilla said:
Imagine the hilarity if book series were split between Kindle and Nook.

I still believe EA should have pushed on with Dead Space Wii, rather than DS:E, and then lined up DS2 for the system as well.

DS:E just seemed like a project that could have succeeded in year 1 or 2 of the Wii's lifespan, but by the time it arrived being a) yet another lightgun game, but without a recognisable license for a wider audience, and b) yet another spin-off of a series that saw "proper" installments on the HD consoles (see Soul Calibur, Resident Evil etc.) gave it a real kick in the nuts for both the "core" and "casual" audience.

Even setting aside those mis-steps, the game itself was a good, short one-shot experience, but built poorly for repeat playthroughs and I'm still surprised it reviewed so well.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
If the Wii version didn't, maybe the HD versions will pass the test.

I'm looking forward to playing this, though, I can't imagine it being much fun with a standard controller but with motion stuff or a lightgun it could kick ass. I haven't played a lightgun style game since Time Crisis at some shitty arcade a couple years ago.

Snuggler said:
If the Wii version didn't, maybe the HD versions will pass the test.

I'm looking forward to playing this, though, I can't imagine it being much fun with a standard controller but with motion stuff or a lightgun it could kick ass. I haven't played a lightgun style game since Time Crisis at some shitty arcade a couple years ago.

I mean, for 14.99 on digital distribution after bombing HARD on Wii, I can't see this game not passing a test. Right?

I'm glad the game is coming to DD though, it will be a good buy for that price.

scitek

I've played both games 3 times each. extraction craps all over the original with anything story related. The storytelling in the original was average and forgettable.

GeoramA

I was actually considering this for Wii. HotD Overkill has me excited for lightgun games again.

Glad it's coming in HD.

scitek said:
I've played both games 3 times each. extraction craps all over the original with anything story related. The storytelling in the original was average and forgettable.
Extraction is a case study in narrative getting in the way of gameplay. It's interesting the first time through if you've got a hard on for the Dead Space mythology, but the storytelling completely sucks the replay value out of the game. There's no fun sitting through the same excruciating slow dialogue sequences over and over again, especially since there's zero variation in what path to take or how it all unfolds from one play through to the next.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
InfiniteNine said:
20hx7pv.gif

Neato, I'll buy RE: Chronicles for my Wii instead, and just wait on the PSN version of this.
First thing I thought of. :lol

If the PSN version is Move-compatible, I'll get that one.

I still don't understand this. You can get it for Wii right now for almost the same price as it will be when it comes out for DD at the end of the year. I could understand getting this if you have no interest in a Wii but like Dead Space (so basically three of you since most everyone on the damn planet owns a Wii by now), but getting this and then hoping it supports either Sony or Microsoft's Wii knockoff peripherals that are both unproven and will most likely never live up to the Wii because - let's be honest here - aftermarket add-ons like these almost never do well? Color me baffled.

scitek

GrotesqueBeauty said:
Extraction is a case study in narrative getting in the way of gameplay. It's interesting the first time through if you've got a hard on for the Dead Space mythology, but the storytelling completely sucks the replay value out of the game. There's no fun sitting through the same excruciating slow dialogue sequences over and over again, especially since there's zero variation in what path to take or how it all unfolds from one play through to the next.

You'll get no argument from me on that point, but the storytelling is much better in DSE when comparing first play-throughs. It does a tremendous job of selling its world. Dead Space had a lot of problems with the approach it took.

I AM JOHN! said:
I still don't understand this. You can get it for Wii right now for almost the same price as it will be when it comes out for DD at the end of the year. I could understand getting this if you have no interest in a Wii but like Dead Space (so basically three of you since most everyone on the damn planet owns a Wii by now), but getting this and then hoping it supports either Sony or Microsoft's Wii knockoff peripherals that are both unproven and will most likely never live up to the Wii because - let's be honest here - aftermarket add-ons like these almost never do well? Color me baffled.

This game does bring about an interesting scenario, and that's that we know how the Wii has been treated for having an unorthodox input method from day one--numerous ports of last-gen games thrown onto the platform just so publishers could have some sort of presence on the system. I wonder how many of Natal, and especially Move's first games will be upsampled ports of existing Wii games such as this one that publishers have deemed "failed tests" as it were.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
I AM JOHN! said:

I already have it for the Wii, but I'll be buying it on XBL because

1.) I'm not a huge fan of motion controls and I'm sure there's going to be a controller-only option.

2.) It's going to look a lot better than the Wii version did on my 50-inch.

3.) I still have some unlocks I missed on the Wii version that I didn't want to replay the game to get. Now I have another chance to get these logs and do so while looking at prettier eye candy.

Not so baffling.

codecow

FunkyPajamas said:
Paging codecow!

Improved graphics? Move/Natal support? Right price? online co-op?

Please answer all of the above (separately) with yes/no. :D

I'd love to, unfortunately my official answer to these questions is "no comment" and my unofficial behind the scenes answer is also "no comment". :D

Does anybody have any experience running this through Dolphin with some HD-upscaling? Might be interesting to post some screens of that to get a sense on the visuals. Just like with ICO and SOTC on the PS2 emulator (featured in an Eurogamer article)

Dascu

StevePharma said:
Does anybody have any experience running this through Dolphin with some HD-upscaling? Might be interesting to post some screens of that to get a sense on the visuals. Just like with ICO and SOTC on the PS2 emulator (featured in an Eurogamer article)
Check the previous page (or well, this page if you had set it to 100 posts per page, like real men do).

codecow said:
I'd love to, unfortunately my official answer to these questions is "no comment" and my unofficial behind the scenes answer is also "no comment". :D
OMG The smiley icon confirms it! :lol Hey, it was worth a shot. :D
Dascu said:
Check the previous page (or well, this page if you had set it to 100 posts per page, like real men do).
:lol

Question about the dolphin emulator before I make the jump: how do I connect the sensor bar to the pc? Is there a usb adapter or some other dongle that I would have to buy? Or how does it work?
[EDIT] Nevermind, I googled it. I have to install homebrew to dump the wii games and also get a third party usb sensor bar, I'll skip for now, thanks.

Kunan

This game is awesome, so if they bring it with good controls then everyone who doesn't have it on wii should pick it up.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
FunkyPajamas said:
how do I connect the sensor bar to the pc? Is there a usb adapter or some other dongle that I would have to buy? Or how does it work?
[EDIT] Nevermind, I googled it. I have to install homebrew to dump the wii games and also get a third party usb sensor bar, I'll skip for now, thanks.

Yes, you need a third party sensor bar. Or you can use candles. Any IR lights will do. The actual sensor bar itself is stupid. It's just a bar containing some lights. There's no circuitry or processor.

Top Bottom