• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

Ah ok, what would you recommend for the best damage? I saw the Type 3 0 or something mentioned. Didn't get it when I had the chance though.

Actually, level 4 for most weapons is gated off by availability of meteorite, which is very restricted in supply until the endgame.

The weapons you can fully upgrade any time are basically the Virtuous weapons and the Cruel weapons (you have to kill some boars and moose to get beast hide), the Machine weapons, YoRHa-issue Blade, Fang of the Twins, Spear of the Usurper, and the cameo weapons from other games.

Your best options are the Virtuous weapons (at level 4, more damage while at full HP), YoRHa-issue Blade (discount from stores and decreased pod charge time), and Spear of the Usurper (increased crit rate and chance of turning enemies to your side).

If you get any meteorite from sidequests, aim for upgrading Ancient Overlord. The effects and attack speed are a very poweful combo.

AGHHHHH I think I've lost 6 hours since a quest is glitching on me.

So rather late in the game, when Pascal asks you to get a rigid tree bark, the enemy that's supposed to trigger just isn't. I beat it before but couldn't get the item for whatever reason, and now the bastard ain't spawning at all.

I'm on PC so I was really hoping someone would have sorted out how to just generate a key item but apparently not. Guess I'll suck it up.and get back to where I was but effort, plus not having much free time since it's exam season.

Finished route A. Man, the end of that
__Eve__
fight was not fucking around, just brutal.

Nice touch to have a new "attract screen" if you idle on the main menu after finishing route A. I'm a few hours in now, really liking the new perspective.

I have a number of guesses about the nature of various factions (as well as the structure of the game itself), and I'm pretty excited to see how crazy it gets. My one concern: batshit plot craziness can be really fun, but I wouldn't say I care very much about the characters yet.

1upsuper

Do you guys customize or use auto for chips, seems like auto doesn't do a great job but not sure.

Auto is crap. I feel like a lot of people don't realize how much variety there is in the chips and you can tailor some fairly unique builds depending on your play style.

Kaelan

Just beat the game/first playthrough, and man holy shit. What a beautiful ending... had me in tears. Took my time with the first playthrough, got about 24 hours on it and did the majority of side quests. Gonna start the 2nd playthrough tomorrow.

emiliano

Sorry to ask again, but I really need to know. Is there something to do to be able to receive prayers from the other players? I've gone through all the game and beyond and really didn't received a single one. I'm kinda bummed by that :(

Greedings

So I finished
ABCD and had to fight some credits...I couldn't make it through so I gave up...did I fuck up? Will I have to do it again?
If so...is it even possible? It's so difficult!

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
So I finished
ABCD and had to fight some credits...I couldn't make it through so I gave up...did I fuck up? Will I have to do it again?

[I know it's hard,][but even so][never give up!]

Just keep playing and saying no. :p

Hektor

Sorry to ask again, but I really need to know. Is there something to do to be able to receive prayers from the other players? I've gone through all the game and beyond and really didn't received a single one. I'm kinda bummed by that :(

You don't have to do anything for it. Since the game is over two months old now, there just aren't a lot of people left playing it i suppose.

So I finished

You did fuck up. The messages telling you not to give up were there for a reason lol

Greedings

[I know it's hard,][but even so][never give up!]

Just keep playing and saying no. :p

You did fuck up. The messages telling you not to give up were there for a reason lol

So unfortunately for me it didn't quite work like that the first time...
All the messages I received were in chinese or japanese. So I never saw anything telling me to continue, only the game constantly asking me to stop.

Great ending to the game though. Couldn't have asked for anything more. I will play it through again...some day.

Antiwhippy

Huh.

That's really weird.

I would think that the phrase selection system is to make it universal for all languages.

emiliano

You don't have to do anything for it. Since the game is over two months old now, there just aren't a lot of people left playing it i suppose.
I see.
I find this ironically tied with the themes of the story ahahah
Anyway, the strange thing is that in the game there's still abundance of corpses, everywhere.

Greedings

Huh.

That's really weird.

I would think that the phrase selection system is to make it universal for all languages.

Yeah, I guess it was just one of those things. Didn't really ruin the game for me, I just redid that part :)

Debating the DLC, but it's quite pricey. How far into the game do you have to be to get the most out of it?

I'm really enjoying the "interludes" in route B. I'm glad I finished up the majority of quests available the first time through, because other than the repeat main quests (which so far you can pretty much breeze through), it's been mostly new stuff this time around.

Also encountering more and more (B)
moments of "wait, didn't I already fight this guy?"
🤔

1upsuper

I would highly recommend against skipping the DLC. There's a very easy way and quick way to grind to 99 and the DLC offers a cool new story segment and actual challenge in the arenas.

Also encountering more and more (B)
moments of "wait, didn't I already fight this guy?"
🤔

That sounds more intriguing than it's actually supposed to be.
9S is saying that those are some generic enemies you fought before, but they're back with a fresh coat of paint.

Golnei

That sounds more intriguing than it's actually supposed to be.
9S is saying that those are some generic enemies you fought before, but they're back with a fresh coat of paint.

Though it could also serve as another sign of him
accessing memory traces from past resets; if that's when he encountered the originals.

kc44135

Wow, I just finished the game (by this I mean getting ending E). Holy shit, y'all. I personally think this game is a masterpiece. Route C was a whirlwind of emotions and epic setpiece moments, and more than made up for the (IMO) slightly lackluster Route B. Even with stuff like Horizon, Nioh, RE7, and Zelda having come out this year, Automata is making a seriously strong case for being my GOTY. If I were going to score it, it would honestly be a 10/10 for me.

Two questions. Should I play the original Nier given how much I enjoyed this? I'm strongly considering it, even if it is a tad pricey at most places. Also, what's the fast way to level people keep talking about? I wanna hit lvl 99 and take on
Emil

LotusHD

Banned
Wow, I just finished the game (by this I mean getting ending E). Holy shit, y'all. I personally think this game is a masterpiece. Route C was a whirlwind of emotions and epic setpiece moments, and more than made up for the (IMO) slightly lackluster Route B. Even with stuff like Horizon, Nioh, RE7, and Zelda having come out this year, Automata is making a seriously strong case for being my GOTY. If I were going to score it, it would honestly be a 10/10 for me.

Two questions. Should I play the original Nier given how much I enjoyed this? I'm strongly considering it, even if it is a tad pricey at most places. Also, what's the fast way to level people keep talking about? I wanna hit lvl 99 and take on
Emil

If you want to play the original, then by all means go for it if you have the resources to do so.

As for leveling up,
the golden rabbit statue in the Amusement Park is a machine. Attack it enough times and you can fight it; it gives a lot of EXP. Rinse and repeat till you're max level. Best to do it with 9S since hacking is OP.

Hektor

Emil

Personally i prefered the first Nier to Nier Automata since the story and themes are a bit more personal than Automata's.

The first Nier also features more and more varied genre mashing overall, that said, the combat while not anywhere near as bad as some people pretend it is, is nothing to write home about.

Wether you should get it or not depends on what it is that you liked so much about automata, if you want more amazing stories, memorable characters and unique ideas definitely go for it, if you just want more slashy slashy not so much.

1upsuper

Play NieR 1. Do it. IMO the main cast is really good in Automata but it's much better in NieR 1. It's one of the best casts in the medium.

Midway through B. Stopped by [week-later edit: I'm referring to this in a later post, so consider this a route C spoiler]
Emil's lunar tear room
just to chill for a few minutes. Possibly my favorite song in the game so far.

I was initially disappointed to see that there are so few variants of the hacking sequence, but now that I'm a good ways in, I'm starting to appreciate it. It loads, you immediately recognize which configuration it is, you go through the usual maneuvers, you pop back out to the real world, and in the slow-mo moment after it ends you start jumping into the next guy. (It'd be cool to see what a battle looks like replayed in real time as you do your Neo thing.) It's a great balance of engaging with something 'mechanically' while being kind of mindless.

Edit: (Route B)
Just saw the first Forest King flashback. I love that it just abruptly interrupted gameplay. Hope there's more stuff like that.

Greedings

Concerning weapon upgrades:

How do you upgrade past level 3? I was looking at trophies I didn't get, and that is clearly one of them.

How do you upgrade past level 3? I was looking at trophies I didn't get, and that is clearly one of them.

Transport to the Forest Zone throne room, go right, drop down to the broken bridge under you, pull the block out, and enter the door behind it.

Hektor

Forest castle, right before the throne room, where the bridge with a hole is, drop down to the left ledge

kc44135

If you want to play the original, then by all means go for it if you have the resources to do so.

As for leveling up,
the golden rabbit statue in the Amusement Park is a machine. Attack it enough times and you can fight it; it gives a lot of EXP. Rinse and repeat till you're max level. Best to do it with 9S since hacking is OP.
The rabbit statue in the big courtyard with all the machines shooting balloons into the sky, right? Didn't even realize that was an enemy, lol. Time to grind!
Personally i prefered the first Nier to Nier Automata since the story and themes are a bit more personal than Automata's.

The first Nier also features more and more varied genre mashing overall, that said, the combat while not anywhere near as bad as some people pretend it is, is nothing to write home about.

Wether you should get it or not depends on what it is that you liked so much about automata, if you want more amazing stories, memorable characters and unique ideas definitely go for it, if you just want more slashy slashy not so much.
This is definitely what I'm looking for, yes. The story, characters, and genre mashing are what made me fall in love with Automata. The combat was just a side-dish, albeit an enjoyable one.
Play NieR 1. Do it. IMO the main cast is really good in Automata but it's much better in NieR 1. It's one of the best casts in the medium.

Yeah, I'm probably going to go for it, especially after playing Automata.

1upsuper

DLC progress report:
Still chipping away at the special rank in the coliseum. The other two special ranks were brutal but this is masochism. I've made it about halfway through it and then got bodied by Beauvoir. I've got a pretty optimal chip set up so I expected to dissolve her like I've seen in YT videos but I think the videos I've seen have gotten lucky with their crits because even with all my chips, taunts, and berserking she still has a lot of health. I can only do a few attempts at a time because this just kills my wrist. I'll get it eventually.

About 2/3 through route B. I'm a little torn.
I'm still enjoying the additional context you get from flashbacks and such, but there isn't really anything you as the player can do with that context. Like, it was clear at first that the machines in the forest were just protecting their land, and on this playthrough they make it explicit, but you still can't do anything differently; that baby is getting axed no matter what. You can choose to not kill anyone along the way, and that's a valuable decision you as the player can make to change "your" story, but I'm surprised that there aren't any actual gameplay changes based on it.
(Edit: It could have been cool if hacking gave you the option to power machines down instead of killing them or something.)

Still, enjoying it. Being overleveled means I'm never getting frustrated in combat and I still love just the feel of running around so route B hasn't been a drag as it has been for some others.I think I'm at the end of route B mirroring route A, so I'm excited to see what the other side of things looks like.

HardRojo

Been playing for some hours now (probably about 7).
The OST is sublime. I hope I can fully finish the game by the time Crash Trilogy arrives.
How hard is the Platinum? I might shoot for that.

Antiwhippy

About 2/3 through route B. I'm a little torn.
I'm still enjoying the additional context you get from flashbacks and such, but there isn't really anything you as the player can do with that context. Like, it was clear at first that the machines in the forest were just protecting their land, and on this playthrough they make it explicit, but you still can't do anything differently; that baby is getting axed no matter what. You can choose to not kill anyone along the way, and that's a valuable decision you as the player can make to change "your" story, but I'm surprised that there aren't any actual gameplay changes based on it.
(Edit: It could have been cool if hacking gave you the option to power machines down instead of killing them or something.)

Still, enjoying it. Being overleveled means I'm never getting frustrated in combat and I still love just the feel of running around so route B hasn't been a drag as it has been for some others.I think I'm at the end of route B mirroring route A, so I'm excited to see what the other side of things looks like.

Things aren't meant to change really. As you'll see as you play. It's all about learning more context, and how that can shed different light on prior and events.

Been playing for some hours now (probably about 7).
The OST is sublime. I hope I can fully finish the game by the time Crash Trilogy arrives.
How hard is the Platinum? I might shoot for that.

As easy or as hard as you want. I'll leave it to you to find out though.

HardRojo

As easy or as hard as you want. I'll leave it to you to find out though.

Lol ok, that sounds interesting.

Also, I figure it's better to fuse chips with the lowest cost so that you end up maximizing your slot capacity. Is there a way to know what the lowest cost of every chip is? I guess Google is my friend here? I want to improve damage but I believe I can find chips that use less than 11 slots, unlike the ones that are sold in shops. I want to fuse only the ones with the lowest cost and go nuts.

Lol ok, that sounds interesting.

Also, I figure it's better to fuse chips with the lowest cost so that you end up maximizing your slot capacity. Is there a way to know what the lowest cost of every chip is? I guess Google is my friend here? I want to improve damage but I believe I can find chips that use less than 11 slots, unlike the ones that are sold in shops. I want to fuse only the ones with the lowest cost and go nuts.

The diamonds represent minimum cost chips.

Route B.
The handful of text interludes in the hacking space after 9S fires the missile are right the hell up my alley.

This game has a specific and extremely hard to explain kind of weirdness to it that scratches an itch which isn't often scratched for me in this medium.

LotusHD

Banned
Route B.
The handful of text interludes in the hacking space after 9S fires the missile are right the hell up my alley.

This game has a specific and extremely hard to explain kind of weirdness to it that scratches an itch which isn't often scratched for me in this medium.

That's Yoko Taro for ya.

Oh, so that's what that means. I can see myself spending countless hours going for a minimum cost build lol.

It takes ages, since most of the time you need two diamond chips of the same level to fuse the next highest level diamond chip.

But you can take a shortcut when fusing from 0 to 1, 1 to 2, or 3 to 4 because on those levels you only need one diamond chip and one non-diamond chip with 1 higher cost.

HardRojo

It takes ages, since most of the time you need two diamond chips of the same level to fuse the next highest level diamond chip.

But you can take a shortcut when fusing from 0 to 1, 1 to 2, or 3 to 4 because on those levels you only need one diamond chip and one non-diamond chip with 1 higher cost.
Ok so as long as I have 1 diamond chip (let's say 5) and the other one is 1 cost above diamond (6 in this case) the fused chip will still be diamond? If so, then I got a couple I can fuse right now.
Oh ok, that only works when going from 0 to +1, +2, +3 and +4, right?

Ok so as long as I have 1 diamond chip (let's say 5) and the other one is 1 cost above diamond (6 in this case) the fused chip will still be diamond? If so, then I got a couple I can fuse right now.
Oh ok, that only works when going from 0 to +1, +2, +3 and +4, right?

Yeah, that's how it works.

It works for going to +1, +2 and +4, but not for going to +3.

Top Bottom