• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

Just finished Super Metroid again last week so started another playthrough of Metroid Zero Mission . While it's not quite the classic Super Metroid is it's probably the next best thing.

Wish Nintendo would revisit some of these series that shined on the GBA. Metroid, Advance Wars, Golden Sun, Castlevania (fund it or whatever), Mega Man (again fund it or whatever).

Have you tried AMR2 btw? It's like Zero Mission of Metroid 2 (fan-made tho). Anyways, highly recommended!

Wish Nintendo would revisit some of these series that shined on the GBA. Metroid, Advance Wars, Golden Sun, Castlevania (fund it or whatever), Mega Man (again fund it or whatever).

I'm right there with you but the reality of it makes me sad.

Metroid is on ice.
Intelligent systems is a fire emblem waifu house now
Camelot makes tennis games now
Castlevania is Konami (lol)
Mega Man is capcom (lol)

Kawika

Have you tried AMR2 btw? It's like Zero Mission of Metroid 2 (fan-made tho). Anyways, highly recommended!

Completely agree. I've played through it a couple of times now. "Get gud" at shine sparking. I honestly didn't use shine sparking all that much. AM2R kind of forces you to learn how to use it well. Now when I play other 2D metroids I am shine sparking all over the place.

Its designed to be used with a XBOX controller but I can confirm you can use an 8bitdo controller with it if you want that SNES feel.

Completely agree. I've played through it a couple of times now. "Get gud" at shine sparking. I honestly didn't use shine sparking all that much. AM2R kind of forces you to learn how to use it well. Now when I play other 2D metroids I am shine sparking all over the place.

Its designed to be used with a XBOX controller but I can confirm you can use an 8bitdo controller with it if you want that SNES feel.

yup I used the SNES30 pad the whole way through!

piggychan

I'm getting this itch to own a gameboy advance SP but I can't seem to find any info whether UK/EU received the model AGS-101 screens..

A lot of gameboy advance SP's seem to be listed incorrectly on ebay and some possibly are fakes..

I'm getting this itch to own a gameboy advance SP but I can't seem to find any info whether UK/EU received the model AGS-101 screens..

A lot of gameboy advance SP's seem to be listed incorrectly on ebay and some possibly are fakes..

UK did not get the AGS-101, but mainland Europe did.

Someone is working on a consolized gba (gba > fpga > hdmi).

http://hackaday.com/2017/05/30/hdmi-out-on-the-gameboy-advance// <--- Updated the link. I guess I copied the wrong link over.

Looks like he has some scan lines built in. I hope he can figure out a kit to make it easier for others to do this mod.

Neat but I think I'll stick to my Gameboy Player.

I really want some sort of consolized DS and since I've heard the video output on GBA and DS are similar maybe this research could lead to that.

Kawika

Neat but I think I'll stick to my Gameboy Player.

I really want some sort of consolized DS and since I've heard the video output on GBA and DS are similar maybe this research could lead to that.

I use my gameboy player too but I am pro getting everything possible "HDMI'zed". In a perfect world, I would use a GBA player for my mod instead of a gba. Making your mod line up with the gbp/gamecube interface so you don't have to destroy anything to make your mod possible.

Someone is working on a consolized gba (gba > fpga > hdmi).

http://hackaday.com/2017/05/30/hdmi-out-on-the-gameboy-advance// <--- Updated the link. I guess I copied the wrong link over.

Looks like he has some scan lines built in. I hope he can figure out a kit to make it easier for others to do this mod.
Not huge on this particular mod for somewhat obvious reasons, but the tech is exciting. Sooner we get proper video out the better.

alf717

That GBA mod looks cool. Would love to see a project with that that looks like a mini GBA console custom shell and all.

Kawika

That GBA mod looks cool. Would love to see a project with that that looks like a mini GBA console custom shell and all.

I would probably take the mod and do what the Behar brothers did with the Consolized Game Gear . Plexiglass is pretty easy to work with. The person designing this mod needs to either make it so the mod has a port so you don't lose the functionality of the portable OR take the guts out and put it in a similar box as this consolized game gear.

Wondering if I broke the rules posting about game gear in the gb/gbc/gba thread.

Today was a good day.jpeg

I was walking out of a Value Village today ( thrift store) and just before I made it to the exit a worker walked past me and I caught a glimpse of the KONAMI logo on a cardboard game box!

I followed her to where she was headed and prompty snatched the 2 games she was carrying.

Decent shape and complete!

ZBzf25n.jpg

Castlevania looks pretty banged up but its actually just the box art.

Today was a good day.jpeg

I was walking out of a Value Village today ( thrift store) and just before I made it to the exit a worker walked past me and I caught a glimpse of the KONAMI logo on a cardboard game box!

I followed her to where she was headed and prompty snatched the 2 games she was carrying.

Decent shape and complete!

Castlevania looks pretty banged up but its actually just the box art.
Nice Haul

Back when Konami and Capcom were having better days

IDK I'm still pretty happy with Capcom's output. Maybe it's because I don't give two fucks about Street Fighter and mostly play their 3DS games?

BTails

IDK I'm still pretty happy with Capcom's output. Maybe it's because I don't give two fucks about Street Fighter and mostly play their 3DS games?

Resident Evil 7 is my GOTY so far
Sorry Horizon!

Those are some nice looking boxes! Gotta love being in the right place at the right time.

I think yoiu guys are right. Being a fighting game fan, and a big capcom one at that, I'm just so overwhelming dissapointed with SF V, ultra sf2 and now the marvel roster leak.

Monster Hunter is all capcom needs to release and I'll be happy, so that's my bias. Konami's GB output was impeccable though. Tragic how that's made a turn.

D.Lo

Monster Hunter is all capcom needs to release and I'll be happy, so that's my bias. Konami's GB output was impeccable though. Tragic how that's made a turn.
Not quite impeccable.

They were superb at the start. Bad n Rad, Turtles 1 and 2, Belmont's Revenge, Contra, Nemesis 1 and 2, - even the first Castlevania Adventure, while it had control and balance issues, had the best graphics on the platform at release, and a fantastic soundtrack.

After the Pokemon GB renaissance there were a few lower quality KCE Nagoya releases. Castlevania Legends, for example, is a far lower quality game than Belmont's Revenge, in graphics, music, everything. The Contra Spirits port by Factor 5 is western jank. Their GBC work was spotty too, though Crazy Bikers (Motocross Maniacs 2) was an amazing little gem.

GBA was a mix too. Even just looking at Castlevania, Circle of the Moon is solid, Harmony of Dissonance is a garish mess, and Aria is great. The Contra game is a total mess, smashing the low colour bleugh of Hard Corps levels into Contra Spirits.

Fair enough. And you've played more of these games than I. Though I think just the fact that essentially every game you mentioned is on someone's "must have Gameboy games" list -- or at least are all well known titles -- speaks to the quality of Konami's output. I'm not sure there's another 3rd party that manage to position itself as being so core to the library. I certainly don't think capcom did, square and enix each put up good titles but in relatively limited genres (when was that merger? were the GB dragon quest games just Enix?), there are probably a couple I'm forgetting but I think the point is made regardless.

D.Lo

Fair enough. And you've played more of these games than I. Though I think just the fact that essentially every game you mentioned is on someone's "must have Gameboy games" list -- or at least are all well known titles -- speaks to the quality of Konami's output. I'm not sure there's another 3rd party that manage to position itself as being so core to the library. I certainly don't think capcom did, square and enix each put up good titles but in relatively limited genres (when was that merger? were the GB dragon quest games just Enix?), there are probably a couple I'm forgetting but I think the point is made regardless.
I do think their output was the best on the platform for original GB. Just like Famicom/NES, they just produced such a huge volume of great games, far more than Nintendo or Capcom.

Quite a few duds in there, but so much greatness it doesn't matter.

I'd like to add that Gradius Galaxies on GBA is another fantastic Konami game.

And Konami Arcade Advanced is pretty amazing too (love the remixed versions of the games on that one), it's just a shame it didn't save high scores.

I think yoiu guys are right. Being a fighting game fan, and a big capcom one at that, I'm just so overwhelming dissapointed with SF V, ultra sf2 and now the marvel roster leak.

Same here. I even enjoy moment-to-moment aspects of playing SFV, but it's a huge disappointment in terms of net play issues, character balancing and input lag.

Same here. I even enjoy moment-to-moment aspects of playing SFV, but it's a huge disappointment in terms of net play issues, character balancing and input lag.

Off topic to this thread but I couldn't agree more with you. I really do like the roster of SFv and I want to love it but the gameplay just kills me.

The entire game is 50/50s.

Ex moves get stuffed forcing you to take the 50/50s.

Crush counters allow you to lose at footsies but win anyway.

Netcode is terrible. If anyone walks back and forth a few times(aka footsies) the de syncs become unbearable.

Everytime I play SFv it just makes me want to play 3s

Or st

Or cvs2

Or alpha 2/3

Those are all far better street fighter games in every way.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
i want metroid fusion and metroid zero mission.
but ebay is a fucking minefield.
all fakes..

i might just give up. ugh

Finally got my replacement shell for the beat-up GBA SP (AGS-001) I bought more than a year ago on the cheap. Mostly I got this so I'd have a 4th GBA on hand for 4-player games and for GBA-GC connected games like Four Swords Adventures.

It's been a while since I've used an original SP:
  1. The screen is fine, just as I remembered. In sunlight it works about as well as a AGB-001, no ghosting is a huge plus, and in darkness/inside with the light on there's a good angle where things look right. I'd probably leave the light off most of the time TBH
  2. The buttons suck, especially the d-pad
  3. I really don't like how far GB/GBC games stick out the bottom

Anyway, I probably won't use this too much but nice to finally have a good condition 4th GBA.

-KRS-

all fakes..

Yeah this is the reason I never really got into collecting GBA games. It's been like that for ages, always a gamble getting the must haves on auction sites. :/

Yeah this is the reason I never really got into collecting GBA games. It's been like that for ages, always a gamble getting the must haves on auction sites. :/

I only buy gameboy stuff boxed, complete and local for that reason.

My Backlit GBC from bennvenn came in a few days ago and it's gorgeous. I've been putting it through its paces and finally tried donkey kong 94 for the first time. It's incredible! It's genius! Everything about it is making me smile!

Vespa

I bought some 3rd party button sets from Aliexpress and they're pretty bad, the d-pad and shoulder buttons are mushy and looking at them closely they seem slightly off in various measurements. Can anybody recommend a place to get a good button set from?

35013953076_f6dd96373d_o.jpg

The yellow A/B buttons and side panels are still usable although the buttons feel a little light.

all fakes..

It's obviously more expensive but I've had much better luck buying Complete in Box games from reputable sellers. Still not foolproof but it's definitely much better than all the fake cart only copies.

I'm really enjoying my backlit GBC. It's a real GBC running BennVenns converison board with a 101 screen.

I'm having trouble taking some good pictures of it but it's a 101 screen so we all know how it looks.

Photos were taken with my S7 in regular lighting.

PdJqVMl.jpg

5RFWudY.jpg

Eventually I'm going to have to get one of these modded GBCs. I always liked the form factor of them and I hate how far GB/GBC carts stick out of GBA.

Top Bottom