• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I think he means the directional input short cuts in SF4, like if you press down forward, down forward it will correct the input into a shoryuken input which can't be turned off. Not the 3 Kick, 3 punch button shortcuts.

Since I was not that big of a SF4 player I had no idea those short cuts even existed. For some reason just did not get all that into SF4, even though I really did like the character Abel when I first got hand on during the arcade show here in Japan when it was first showed off. Even have the 360 version of both editions. But for some reason just did not stick with the game at all for all that long.

Went back to playing more zero series and III with friends when the chance arose.

Skilletor

The Persona hype!

I'll be on XBL:

Skillzilla81

Dunno who any of these characters are, so I don't know who I'll be using yet. Probably the ninja looking guy and the super duper hot redhead.

Snakeyes

Mitsuru - 400 Yen
xzibit-2009-04-300x300.JPG

What happens if you're playing a Mitsuru mirror with Mitsuru as the announcer?

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
But it's not like the crutch in this game affects your playstyle even if you don't want to use it like say, SF4's input shortcuts. I don't get it.

It doesn't affect the playstyle- the auto combos don't keep going by themselves, so if you press light attack twice and stop, the combo does too. It doesn't feel "mashtastic," it just feels like it's really, really easy to do some decent damage just from pressing one button.

SerRodrik

if it's anything like BB, colors are going to be dlc exclusive only

Balls. Oh well, I was probably always going to use the default colors anyway. Recolors seem boring. Alternate outfits would be another matter, but I'm well aware of why that would never happen with a sprite based game.

Parakeetman

DLC List Color / Glasses pack updated here along with the main pricing post 1 page back.

Color / Glasses Pack 1 - Yu, Yukiko, Kuma
Color / Glasses Pack 2 - Chie, Naoto, Akihiko
Color / Glasses Pack 3 - Yosuke, Aigis, Labrys
Color / Glasses Pack 4 - Kanji, Mitsuru, Elizabeth, Shadow Labrys

You have to buy the glasses? :(

Unfortunately it seems so. :(

It doesn't affect the playstyle- the auto combos don't keep going by themselves, so if you press light attack twice and stop, the combo does too. It doesn't feel "mashtastic," it just feels like it's really, really easy to do some decent damage just from pressing one button.

As Ive beaten into the ground multiple times already its a personal thing. lol Btw you gonna be on PSN anytime soon?

OceanBlue

DLC List Color / Glasses pack updated. (glasses working on now)

Color Pack 1 - Yu, Yukiko, Kuma
Color Pack 2 - Chie, Naoto, Akihiko
Color Pack 3 - Yosuke, Aigis, Labrys
Color Pack 4 - Kanji, Mitsuru, Elizabeth, Shadow Labrys

All of the characters I'm really interested in trying are separated between color packs. Thanks Aksys. Hopefully I can narrow it down to one or two once the game comes out.

Shito

The whole taking away the sense of accomplishment once again is the feeling I get with the fact that the damned thing is turned on and on the chance I do part of it by accident, which has happened on occasion as am still learning the game and getting accustomed to characters it irritates me knowing that there is an "easy button" function active and that I had used it by mistake. This really boils down to a personal preference / pride thing and the fact that the devs being folks who know fighting games and competitions you would have thought they would have had at least enough sense to give players an option to turn the feature off if they wanted to do so.
You're putting way too much thoughts into this, really: the auto-combo thing is not some kind of "look at the noob!" thing you should be ashamed of. It is part of the game, it is sub-optimal, it is meant to be used by people like you who are discovering the game, so stop thinking that the only skill you have to have in a fighting game is "how to do a combo". Concentrate on the game around it itself, soon enough you'll know your character's "regular" combos so well it'll be just as if you're just mashing the auto-combo. Learn the game and I'm pretty sure than soon enough you won't be using this anymore.

Parakeetman

You're putting way too much thoughts into this, really: the auto-combo thing is not some kind of "look at the noob!" thing you should be ashamed of. It is part of the game, it is sub-optimal, it is meant to be used by people like you who are discovering the game, so stop thinking that the only skill you have to have in a fighting game is "how to do a combo". Concentrate on the game around it itself, soon enough you'll know your character's "regular" combos so well it'll be just as if you're just mashing the auto-combo. Learn the game and I'm pretty sure than soon enough you won't be using this at all.

Ok people last time, seriously LAST TIME, its a personal thing. Regardless of how good I get at the game, the fact that its there will irritate me personally just because I cant turn it off. Its like having a feature on a car you drive, but dont like. Same sort of irritation. Once again its not a call out to everyone else who does / doesnt play fighting games of any sort of level. Its a personal commentary on what my own feelings towards the game is and its design choices. Seriously regardless of whats said by anyone else, its not going to change the fact that this will irk me till I stop playing the game and forget it even exists lol

The irritation is along the same lines as with for those who live in Japan when you rent a vehicle the ETC system and its irritating voice / alert sound letting you know that a card isnt inserted upon getting closer to a toll gate. Though models I was familiar with anything short of ripping the cord out wouldnt shut it up. Its that sort of irritation.

Takuan

Just saw one of Mitsuru's win animations, where she tosses her jacket off and flips her hair. That's a bad respectable lady.

Akihiko/Mitsuru all day.

Shito

Its like having a feature on a car you drive, but dont like. Same sort of irritation.
I think that, what we don't get, is that the feature in question is not something you have to use to drive your car, like the steering wheel, or even the speed counter, but some hidden bolt on the bottom on the back seat: sure enough from time to time you can stumble upon it and see it, but 99% of the time you can just use your car without even noticing this bolt.
I think we're just finding you way too anal about this, and a bit unfair trying to depict this a flaw, that is all. :)

(also, I'm jealous you have the game and I have to wait for my import shop to stock it)

Shaffield

Looking forward to getting my ass beat using Yosuke.
I'm alright at SFIV, but terrible at BlazBlue, so ill probably need months to get decent.

Edit:

Shaffield - PS3 - Jodash64 - Yosuke/maybe Yukiko

Parakeetman

I think that, what we don't get, is that the feature in question is not something you have to use to drive your car, like the steering wheel, or even the speed counter, but some hidden bolt on the bottom on the back seat: sure enough from time to time you can stumble upon it and see it, but 99% of the time you can just use your car without even noticing this bolt.
I think we're just finding you way too anal about this, and a bit unfair trying to depict this a flaw, that is all. :)

(also, I'm jealous you have the game and I have to wait for my import shop to stock it)

As you will know everyone is wired differently. These sort of issues is one of the things that crosses mine. lol

---

I wonder if they will ever make shadow versions of everyone. A Shadow version of Kanji would be hilarious.

.la1n

Just noticed our list in the OP:

GAF ID - System - Gamertag/PSN ID - Main/Sub

.la1n - PS3 - ryuoshin - Chie / Mitsuru

Skilletor

Ok people last time, seriously LAST TIME, its a personal thing. Regardless of how good I get at the game, the fact that its there will irritate me personally just because I cant turn it off. Its like having a feature on a car you drive, but dont like. Same sort of irritation. Once again its not a call out to everyone else who does / doesnt play fighting games of any sort of level. Its a personal commentary on what my own feelings towards the game is and its design choices. Seriously regardless of whats said by anyone else, its not going to change the fact that this will irk me till I stop playing the game and forget it even exists lol

The irritation is along the same lines as with for those who live in Japan when you rent a vehicle the ETC system and its irritating voice / alert sound letting you know that a card isnt inserted upon getting closer to a toll gate. Though models I was familiar with anything short of ripping the cord out wouldnt shut it up. Its that sort of irritation.

I'm with you, man. I don't like the option for any automation in my fighters. :)

Cowie

Switched preorder to PS3 after the lag reports on 360 (And, admittedly I was on the fence to begin with.)

I've got a sanwa modded fightstick SE for my ps3, but maybe it's time to pick up something.. fresher.

Skilletor

Switched preorder to PS3 after the lag reports on 360 (And, admittedly I was on the fence to begin with.)

I've got a sanwa modded fightstick SE for my ps3, but maybe it's time to pick up something.. fresher.

Has there been any sources other than the one guy?

I'm preordered on 360 because of the local scene, but I'd switch to ps3 in a heartbeat if this was true.

Cowie

Has there been any sources other than the one guy?

I'm preordered on 360 because of the local scene, but I'd switch to ps3 in a heartbeat if this was true.

Nope, just one dude. But since I was definitely on the fence to begin with, so i'm okay with jumping on a whim.

RS4-

I don't mind the auto combos. I haven't seen big damage resulting from mashing A 5-6 times.

The game does feel different compared to SF/GG/BB.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Lyte Edge - PS3 - lyteedge - Teddie (for now)

Will probably just stick with this on PS3 and not double-dip. I like the game but it will likely be shelved once Tekken Tag 2 is out in September.

As Ive beaten into the ground multiple times already its a personal thing. lol

That was not in response to you!

Btw you gonna be on PSN anytime soon?

I was on for hours last night and will likely be on again around 6PM-10PM EST.

Curufinwe

I haven't bought a fighting game since Soul Calibur II and haven't played one properly since Tekken 3 and I don't own an arcade stick, but I feel like I need to buy this game for the story mode.

Is it playable using the left analog stick on the Dual Shock 3?

LProtag

I haven't bought a fighting game since Soul Calibur II and haven't played one properly since Tekken 3 and I don't own an arcade stick, but I feel like I need to buy this game for the story mode.

Is it playable using the left analog stick on the Dual Shock 3?

Use the D-Pad.

sephi22

Wait.. Wait.. Hold up.
Persona 3 FES is on PSN?

Why didnt anyone fucking tell me? Now i can play it on my ps3 slim without having to hunt for a retail copy.

Without spoilers, is P3FES superior to P3?

Top Bottom