• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shortage of Neon Switch Imminent?

jax

Banned
f3cCUs6.jpg

Target Employee said:
We got 17 today. 3 cases of 5 greys, 2 loose neons

2 Neons for 15 Grey?

For someone without a preorder, this is looking like a bad situation. We are 10 days out, so I guess they might get more shipments? (I hope?)

ugh. Make me buy a pair of each color joy-con for $180 if old.

Dystify

Have heard from different places that there are a lot more gray Switch. Good thing you can buy separate Joy-Con, if you really want those colors.

georly

ugh. Make me buy a pair of each color joy-con for $180 if old.

They sell a pair with one of each if i'm not mistaken. So 80.

The gray one is better anyway and likely to be more popular. If you're "stuck" with a gray one, just get a pair of neons if/when you can.

At least you have the option to 'fix' the problem down the line instead of waiting or buying another system altogether.

Does it really matter in the grand scheme? It's not the color of the console, like a 3DS. It's the controller. Easily changeable in the future.

Fireblend

Banned
Yeah, I don't feel like Nintendo has much confidence in colorful sets in the west in general.

Glad I got my preorder in.

I was up at 10 AM on the day preorders released to try to get a Neon set. But the only ones available were gray. So I'd say for sure there will be a shortage of those. I guess the two color set is a good substitute even if its opposite.

AtticuSMT

Banned
I imagine it'll be like the Wii for about 4/5 monthsn then be avalaible... most gamers core and hardcore are not interested at all in the switch. So we will see what happens I suppose... imo a lack of a good launch line up of games (that aren't Zelda) makes alotmofmpeople want to wait, and pushed me from interested to "I'll get it in 2/3 years"

Seil

Sure but then if you buy that mixed pair you can't complete the sets with the currently available options.

The way things are set up right now, the neon SKU comes with left blue and right red.

The mixed joycon pack comes with left red and right blue, which would complete both sets if you bought a neon SKU.

You cannot buy individual red and blue joy-cons at the moment, only the mixed set and full sets. So if you buy the mixed set and decide you want to actually complete the blue and red sets, you're boned.

Have heard from different places that there are a lot more gray Switch. Good thing you can buy separate Joy-Con, if you really want those colors.

This is my sentiments exactly. I am glad you can do a combination of all three colors if depending on what colored Joy-Con you get. So I wouldn't worry too much about Neo Switch availability unless I was someone who gamed alone and didn't need extra controllers.

jrcbandit

The gray one is better anyway and likely to be more popular. If you're "stuck" with a gray one, just get a pair of neons if/when you can.

It depends on if he cares if it matches with the Neon Switch. The neon joycons sold separately are the opposite color that you get in the Switch box. That way people who buy a Neon switch can then buy the neon joycons and end up with 2 blue and 2 red controllers.

Fireblend

Banned
More like: "fork over $80 if you want colored joycons". Nintendo knows what they're doing.

You think? If I was Nintendo I'd expect more people to want the more "mature" non-Fisher Price looking set in the west than the Neon one. I've heard those descriptors used in several threads here, and I 100% believe more people think like that than not.

And I'm getting a Neon.

georly

Even for the neons?!

Sure but then if you buy that mixed pair you can't complete the sets with the currently available options.

The way things are set up right now, the neon SKU comes with left blue and right red.

The mixed joycon pack comes with left red and right blue, which would complete both sets if you bought a neon SKU.

You cannot buy individual red and blue joy-cons at the moment, only the mixed set and full sets. So if you buy the mixed set and decide you want to actually complete the blue and red sets, you're boned.

It depends on if he cares if it matches with the Neon Switch. The neon joycons sold separately are the opposite color that you get in the Switch box. That way people who buy a Neon switch can then buy the neon joycons and end up with 2 blue and 2 red controllers.

Had not realized they were 'reversed' but also does it really matter they're reversed?

brink22

Neo Member
Having worked at Target HQ (business analyst-ordering product), you can't take the situation at one store and apply it broadly. The methods for distributing product by store is not as scientific as you might think, and you can't really extrapolate anything from your sample size of one.

NotLiquid

Pretty sure Neon is less in demand than Gray. I switched my pre-order to Neon under the retailer's recommendation when they contacted and told me that way too much demand for the Gray version is likely to make it much harder to honor some pre-orders for it.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Didnt Nintendo say from the get that the Neon would be limited? Should always assume that shit with them regardless.

jax

Banned
You think? If I was Nintendo I'd expect more people to want the more "mature" non-Fisher Price looking set in the west than the Neon one. I've heard those descriptors used in several threads here, and I 100% believe more people think like that than not.

And I'm getting a Neon.

I want a black dev pair, but no one at Nintendo appeased that need :(

As much as I love Neon (and regret not getting it when able), a lot more people will just go for the standard gray because it looks sleeker.

I have been going back and forth on the neon versus the non neon switch. Glad I got the grey but I will pick up a set of neon joycons for sure.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
They sell the neon joycons standalone. Just get those if you can't find the right version.

jax

Banned
Having worked at Target HQ (business analyst-ordering product), you can't take the situation at one store and apply it broadly. The methods for distributing product by store is not as scientific as you might think, and you can't really extrapolate anything from your sample size of one.

Ah, that makes sense. I hope you're right!

Neon is definitely the "rare" sku. We've known this since preorders first opened but I guess they could have balanced it out more.

Good luck to everybody who didn't get a preorder.

Shhh... Gaf is the land of anecdotal evidence. The Switch is also going to fail miserably because 2 out of the 4 people I talk to on a regular basis don't want one.

That being said, we've seen other evidence that suggests Neon will be hard to find. It was the first option to "sell out" for just about every store that did pre-orders.

I would expect a plain flat colour to be a lot more popular which is why the neon is shipped less, doesn't mean there will be a shortage exactly.

Milennia

neon is certainly in less demand than grey in my area, that much is certain.
could just be ordering based on preorders.

i mean its fairly obvious a majority would go for the less toyish look on a portable they expect to play out in the open, and im saying this as a dude who has wild colors on everything pretty much.

also as mentioned, you can just buy neon joy cons easily.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
This seems like the biggest nonissue ever. The only thing that's different are the attached controllers, which you can easily buy separately.

Vexed

lol this, I worked logistics for Target and a store could end up not receiving replenishments for a particular product for weeks on end based on something as stupid as a team member punching in the wrong quantity when they back stocked the initial shipment.

I'm so fucking torn. The more I see it, the more I want to cancel my Grey Switch pre-order and bite. But I fear it's too late now. We're just over a week away from launch.

Top Bottom