• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have you ever skipped or dropped a game due to the VA used in it?

etrain911

So, me and my friend were talking about the upcoming Horizon Zero Dawn. I am super hyped for it, but my friend is going to skip it. The reason? He doesn't like Aloy's VA having experienced her work as Chloe in Life is Strange and Rise in Persona 4 Dancing All Night. Since the game appears to have such a heavy story focus, and he has a large backlog (our entire house consists of gamers, you should see our poor electric bill), he would maybe consider buying it on sale later or borrowing my copy. So GAF, have you ever skipped or dropped a game due to the voice acting in it?

I myself am totally guilty as the VA in HyperDimension Neptunia's Dynasty Warriors-style spin-off was way too annoying.

Eolz

Not really, but it led me to some disappointments (or opposite effect, made me more excited for some games).

Cornbread78

no, I get why people can get annoyed by a certain voice, but this mentality kills my soul, lol. I get it, I really do, but no...

PhantomDoor

Neo Member
I get not liking Burch as Rise but Chloe? You can have your issues with the character but the performance is pretty great there.

Nope. Even really bad voice acting has it's charm to me.

See the first Bates Kaitos or the infamous example of Arc Rise Fantasia.

Tales of the Abyss, i think?
The game was pretty obnoxious is every facet but they kept saying some stupid made up word so I dropped it

_Aaron_

Nope, I don't pay all that much attention to who is voicing characters in games.

I wouldn't buy or skip a game solely due to voice actor.

Olimar

Neo Member
I will more than likely be crucified for the following:

Vanille in Final Fantasy XIII had atrocious VO.

Anything from the Disgaea series, specifically 4. Cannot stand whiny high pitched manboys that they hire for these localized VOs.

Khalme

Neo Member
I know Vesperia is revered like the second coming of Tales of Phantasia, but I dropped it as soon as I met Karol.

I know this is a really good "Tales of", but I hate this annoying piece of...

I prefer playing Hyperdimension in Japanese, but I still haven't dropped a game.

I read on some GameFAQs and I think even GAF threads that people dropped their preorders for P4DAN Disco Edition because of the change in Rise's voice actor, which worked out great for me as I bought the LE 3 years later at a discounted price!

i have skipped every single mario game past 2000 because Charles Martinet once blanked me

what does this mean?

No way, that is not a dealbreaker for me while playing a game. If it gets annoying, I will turn the voices off lickety split. Sorry, FFXV gang.

kunonabi

I can't think of a VA I'd want to avoid aside from Alyson Court. I am pretty soured on McGlynn after her dreadful behavior during the Silent Hill HD debacle though. I'll make exceptions her old stuff but i'm not interested in her newer work at all.

I've skipped movies based on VAs fairly often though.

I haven't personally but my brother dropped Disgaea 3 because of it. Honestly the VO in that series from what I've heard is a kind of OTT that's a bit too much for me, but there's other reasons I've never played them for myself.

I will say that Persona 5's dub doesn't really seem like anything special from what I've heard of it, and the announcement of dual audio actually did make me more interested.

There's a lot of other games that have flatout bad VO which put me off, but it's almost always stuff I wasn't that interested in anyway so I guess it doesn't really count. EDIT: Danganronpa was one specific example of that, but I've lately been more morbidly curious about that series.

eXistor

Normally I'd say no, but then I played Rise of the Tomb Raider. I don't think I've felt this much hatred towards voice acting as I have for this (shitty) game. Lara doesn't shut the fuck up (a big reason why I don't think much of Horizon btw) and her breathy voice is just beyond annoying. But I'll give the game major props for allowing to switch the voices off, which makes for an interesting experience at least. What a miserable game that was.

/edit: but no, I've never outright skipped a game because of it and I don't think I will.

snacknuts

we all knew her
The last one I remember quitting because the voices were annoying was Dust: An Elysian Tail. I don't think I finished the first stage before I noped out of that one.

Maebe

I haven't dropped one due to it, but I understand being annoyed. Sometimes dubs can be really bad, or with japanese games the high pitched voices can be obnoxious.

I actually found the voice acting in Infamous so grating that if I didn't stop playing it after an hour because it was open world (it was a blind purchase and I hate open world), the voice acting would have assuredly made me stop anyway. It was just the worst.

Coulis

Neo Member
Probably wasn't the only reason for dropping the game but not having Michael Ironside in Splinter Cell: Blacklist sure didn't help.

SheHateMe

Star Ocean 4.

SWEET BABY JESUS, 'KAY.

Code:
[IMG]https://i.ytimg.com/vi/hiNebbZROTY/maxresdefault.jpg[/IMG]

I quit it once she joined the party and have not looked at the entire series again.

zenspider

Brave Fencer Musashi PS1.

Every Star Ocean and Tales game without a language option.

Drakengard 3. (I ain't paying for that!)

Xenoblade 1 was touch and go throughout.

Anung

Un Rama
I usually avoid things with Travis Willingham. I just can't stand that guy's voice. I can get passed it usually but it really takes me out of the game.

I'm not a fan Mary Elizabeth McGlynn anymore due to the way she carried herself during the negotiations for the Silent Hill HD Collection.

Edit: Lymle from Star Ocean is such a good shout.

Fuck no. I'm not going to miss out on a potentially great game because of one voice actor. That's petty as hell.

Also, I like Ashly Burch. I like her work.

I don't think so, i've felt some voices could be better but that's about it. The closest was probably Mass Effect as i wasn't really feeling ManShep's VA so a couple of hours in i restarted as FemShep and the difference was night & day, flew through the 3 games with her.

Drop a game just for the voice acting? Whaa...

66fa86947c7d129348e63dbbf99ebfb6.jpg

People saying Xenoblade: The game has a dual audio option. That game is legendary, man. You gotta see it all the way through.
I also actually really like its dub and think it's extremely refreshing compared to most RPG dubs. I hope Xenoblade 2 gets a UK dub too.

Though if you're playing on 3DS you're SOL there.

Tagyhag

Nope, though I think I would have dropped Advance Wars Dual Strike if Jake's lines were voice acted and were unskippable.

Maxinas

I Skip anything with Nolan North. It ruins the experience for me similar to seeing Samuel Jackson in every movie. Oh, and Bryce Papenbrook in every anime series.
Apperently he is a VA in HZD too, for what purpose.

zenspider

So, me and my friend were talking about the upcoming Horizon Zero Dawn. I am super hyped for it, but my friend is going to skip it. The reason? He doesn't like Aloy's VA having experienced her work as Chloe in Life is Strange and Rise in Persona 4 Dancing All Night...

Does H:ZD not have language options? I thought the VA in AssCreed 2 was pretty bad, but I switched it to Italian and it rocked.

Wow that's funny, reminds me of when you watch dubbed anime and you recognize a voice actor from another 3 shows, doesn't really bother me though.

jonjonaug

I tried playing the remake of the first Hyperdimension Neptunia game and dropped it less than an hour in because both the English and Japanese voices annoyed the crap out of me. I didn't even get to any real gameplay I think.

Top Bottom