• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 Design and Tech video on Bullet Time - OUT NAO

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Awwwwwww man WTFF it really sucks you cant carry two guns & a machinegun anymore!!! I mean in previous MP games you had a shitton of weapons always at your disposal..

This shit sucks :/
You can carry 2 single handed guns (a different one in each hand) and a long gun so it's not too bad.

Awwwwwww man WTFF it really sucks you cant carry two guns & a machinegun anymore!!! I mean in previous MP games you had a shitton of weapons always at your disposal..

Nah, this makes the game better.

Way more strategy involved, and besides, it looks cool throwing away guns and grabbing other guns.

See every John Woo film ever.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.

Dude, it's so much better now.

WeaponWheel.png

MMaRsu

Banned
Yeah well I like magic pockets, even though this system is badass for when you see a shotgun on the floor, roll over it, grab it and shoot straight away.

I just really like having like a couple of Uzi's AND a couple of Desert Eagle's at my disposal whenever I need them.

SamuraiX-

I definitely welcome the new weapon system. You can call Max Payne an arcade shooter all you want, but limited carrying capacity will just add to the immersion for me. :)

Yeah well I like magic pockets, even though this system is badass for when you see a shotgun on the floor, roll over it, grab it and shoot straight away.

I just really like having like a couple of Uzi's AND a couple of Desert Eagle's at my disposal whenever I need them.

Seriously, the animations alone warrant it.

Dany

Banned
As someone who has only seen the multiplayer videos? How does bullit time actualyl work. It appears that it slows down time for you and your target but what about anyone else?

As someone who has only seen the multiplayer videos? How does bullit time actualyl work. It appears that it slows down time for you and your target but what about anyone else?

If you're aiming at someone, that person or people in your field of view goes into bullet-time but the one of triggered it has the upper hand.

VVVVVVVV

If you activate bullet time, whoever you look at is in bullet time, and you have the advantage.

If anyone looks at either of you, that person is in bullet time.

If the 3rd person looks at anyone while in bullet time, or someone sees that 3rd person, that 4th person is also in bullet time.

On and on and on. If you can see bullet time, you're in bullet time, and anyone you look at or who sees you will be in bullet time.

Dany

Banned
Oh wow, so how often can it be activated? Speaking off the cuff, I'd imagine that the entire MP matches would be in bullet time, they appear fairly constrained and tight maps.

Simo

Oh wow, so how often can it be activated? Speaking off the cuff, I'd imagine that the entire MP matches would be in bullet time, they appear fairly constrained and tight maps.

Bullet-Time is a "Burst" that you need Adrenaline to use. You have an Adrenaline bar which is made up of 3 bars=3 levels and the bars can only be charged with kills, looting your enemies corpses etc. The more kills you get the faster the bar charges up.

Since Bullet-Time is only 1 of multiple bursts not everybody is going to use it and can be avoided if you're caught in Bullet-Time - all you need to do is find cover and break the line of sight and you're fine. The new multiplayer video even shows that just because you may activate Bullet-Time doesn't mean you'll be invincible because the enemy may pop off a headshot quick enough to kill you or perform a Shoot-Dodge of their own and counter it.

SamuraiX-

Regardless of how solid that system sounds, I'm willing to bet people will find ways to abuse/glitch the shit out of it within the first week the game is released.

So I just got a OT banner from Rockstar. If NotTheGuyYouKill doesn't use it then I'll post it....though maybe if we bug him enough he'll give us a peek at the OT!

Staggering to my worn computer, I was a Photo Manipulation Ninja. My Photoshop Kung Fu was strong. I wasn't kidding anyone. At best, I was Superman on Kryptonite, about to post something that made a 5 year old's MS Paint job look like a work of art.

I wasn't following this game at all (never played the first two) but after seeing videos of this one in action, I might have to get this.

woober

I posted this in the thread "Your favorite gimmic levels" and figured I might bring my post and thoughts here. My favorite Max Payne moment was definitely the first time I stumbled into Mona Sax's funhouse. My fear is how MP3 would be able to top something like this:

iQn5hW56SA8iR.jpg

There were many amazing schizophrenic and psychotic levels built to represent Max's state of mind, of which we haven't seen a hint of in MP3. Of course, Rockstar may just be withholding parts of the game that do... but man do I hope MP3 do the psychology aspect of Max Payne justice.

As always this is a great diagram of it works in multiplayer:
mp3_bullettime-3-1-1u5xfn.jpg

Seriously can't wait to perform my first shoot-dodge out of a window 30 feet in the air and taking down fools in glorious slow motion in multiplayer.

9 days guys...

... This makes no sense to me. I was of the understanding that only those players in the Activator's direct line of sight were slowed down, which appears to only be the left-most S. Can someone help a spaz out here?

woober

... This makes no sense to me. I was of the understanding that only those players in the Activator's direct line of sight were slowed down, which appears to only be the left-most S. Can someone help a spaz out here?

It would be awkward for everone not in the activator's line of sight to move and shoot full speed despite watching the slowmo action. That would not benefit the person activating slomo cause an enemy popping up behind the activator would completely rape the one who uses slomo. Instead everyone who is in the line of site and sees the slomo enter slomo.

Ahhhhh, rightrightrightrightright.

Thanks, guys. Yeah, my way would suck absolute balls.

Hmm. On face-value, it seems like it could get annoying, so let's hope that's not the case.

dreamfall

WE ARE SO CLOSE. Been trying to build a rig for this game, so I haven't posted here as much as I'd like to. Regardless, I'm so freaking excited! I trust Rockstar, I do. The Houser brothers are amazing. With Sam Lake's blessing, this can't be more awesome!

Sethos

Banned
"This game will unlock in approximately 3 weeks, 5 days and 10 hours"

I'm strong, I can do this. Remember Sethos, you're getting the best version ... Keep telling yourself that, it'll ease the wait.

Gonna go do a Cartman freezedown.

Besides the MLG multiplayer event that was yesterday, is there going to be any other videos released in the next week? I was thinking that there would potentially be another Design and Technology video and maybe a release trailer, but I don't know. Anyone heard anything?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

Yes, it does suck, because modern designers are too stupid to work out how to balance a whole arsenal of weapons across an entire game, and the limitations of a control pad (of which there are really none).

Strict weapon limits suck balls.

Fjordson

Besides the MLG multiplayer event that was yesterday, is there going to be any other videos released in the next week? I was thinking that there would potentially be another Design and Technology video and maybe a release trailer, but I don't know. Anyone heard anything?
There'll definitely be a new release trailer, R* always does one of those. And if they're sticking to the original plan of five Design & Tech videos, there should be another one of those as well. I think they mentioned on their news wire something about some behind the scenes stuff, so maybe it'll be that? Not sure.

There'll definitely be a new release trailer, R* always does one of those. And if they're sticking to the original plan of five Design & Tech videos, there should be another one of those as well. I think they mentioned on their news wire something about some behind the scenes stuff, so maybe it'll be that? Not sure.
Yeah, those two things sound like they could and should happen, so they should help with the wait somewhat. I'm also curious to see if there'll be any reviews showing up early or if they'll be embargoed.

MMaRsu

Banned
Yes, it does suck, because modern designers are too stupid to work out how to balance a whole arsenal of weapons across an entire game, and the limitations of a control pad (of which there are really none).

Thankfully someone agrees.

Fjordson

Yeah, those two things sound like they could and should happen, so they should help with the wait somewhat. I'm also curious to see if there'll be any reviews showing up early or if they'll be embargoed.
I'd bet big on 12 AM on release at the earliest for reviews.

One thing that always helps me pass the time right before a big game: livestreams from people with early copies. I don't know why, but I'm always addicted to seeking these out when a game is about to come out (sounds weird, but spoilers don't really bother me too much).

Of course, streams for Rockstar games are hard as shit to catch since they go down so quickly, but I remember watching some the weekend before Red Dead came out. Got me so excited for the game.

Nibel

Mhmm.. I don't know what to think of having just a few weapons.

On the one hand, I think that you can play more effective with just a few selected weapons. On the other hand, it was just fun to shoot until you have no ammo left and just switch to the next weapon and so on.

Blutonium

"This game will unlock in approximately 3 weeks, 5 days and 10 hours"

I'm strong, I can do this. Remember Sethos, you're getting the best version ... Keep telling yourself that, it'll ease the wait.

Gonna go do a Cartman freezedown.

Snap out of it man, KEEP YOURSELF TOGETHER. We'll be playing with glorious anti-aliasing soon. I need you to stay strong!

I actually like it. GTA and Red Dead still have the magic backpack.

They went for a realistic style in MP3. Magic pockets would break the immersion. Why else would Max hold a shotgun in one hand while firing with his handgun? I love little touches like that and imo it has nothing to do with controller layouts.

UrbanRats

Magic pockets can be a good thing, depending on the game, especially in a more chaotic one like Saint's Row (or Just Cause, too bad they restrict you, in it).
In this one though they wanted you to constantly picking up weapons from the ground (enemies'). That could add a strategic elements, always keeping track of your surroundings, so you can always have a weapon ready. (they say this in the GTTV interview)

Blutonium

After finishing Max Payne 1 and 2 again for the first time in years, I think I'm gonna watch some heroic bloodshed and film-noir flicks the comings weeks, just to get me more pumped!

hardboileddock57bph.gif

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Yo PC guys, thanks god we have Diablo 3 in the meantime. That will keep us alive.

@Blutonium, i love your avatar.

After finishing Max Payne 1 and 2 again for the first time in years, I think I'm gonna watch some heroic bloodshed and film-noir flicks the comings weeks, just to get me more pumped!

hardboileddock57bph.gif

It has been 20 years and still the best action movie ever. Have you watched Just Heroes by John Woo?

Geezer

Broken water pistol loaded with piss

http://www.abload.de/img/hardboileddock57bph.gif[/][/QUOTE]

Which film is this from?

Top Bottom