• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 10 |OT| Something Happened? Something Happened.

Dragoshi1

So I made the jump, fixed an issue I had where my taskbar wasn't clickable and the home button wasn't clickable(had to go to Task manager and restart Windows Explorer), but now I have a new issue.

When I try to go to change my account to my microsoft account through account settings, it opens a black window for like half a second, and then it vanishes just as quick, and nothing happens.

What's goin' on?

Does anyone know of any sort of app or program that lets me edit the tiles in the start menu? If you look at my start menu, all my programs are the "same". I would like to put custom images like I did with Steam Pin for the Steam Games.

Don't think there's anything yet. The guy that made Oblytile doesn't have things working on W10, and I'm not familiar with alternatives, although I guess others can chime in if they know what's up.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Upgraded my wife's Asus laptop last night and the trackpad is really wonky..sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

dLMN8R

Ah, more bullshit from good ol' Gordon Kelly.

1) Solitaire is still free in the exact same way it always has been. All of the game modes are free, no ads of any kind.

There are new additional features like tournaments, daily challenges, and other items. They are all free to play, or you can watch an ad beforehand.

hu1s50V.png

2) DVD Playback is still free for whomever had it originally. People with Media Center get the DVD Playback app for free when upgrading.

It is indeed $15 for anyone who didn't previously use media center. But if you weren't previously using Media Center, this isn't a feature being "taken away", it's one you never used in the first place.

Also, any computers that ship with DVD players these days come with DVD playback software anyway.

Why the hell should Microsoft pay a license for enabling DVD playback for every single Windows computer when the vast majority don't even have DVD players anymore?

3) Random straw-man fluff bullshit that he added just to get a second page and set of ad views out of his article.

blackflag

How do you diagnose IRQL issues? I haven't seen one of those since like Millenium and on my Windows 7 laptop it never crashed until I upgraded. It's crashed several times now.

1) Solitaire is still free in the exact same way it always has been. All of the game modes are free, no ads of any kind.

There are new additional features like tournaments, daily challenges, and other items. They are all free to play, or you can watch an ad beforehand.

2) DVD Playback is still free for whomever had it originally. People with Media Center get the DVD Playback app for free when upgrading.

It is indeed $15 for anyone who didn't previously use media center. But if you weren't previously using Media Center, this isn't a feature being "taken away", it's one you never used in the first place.

Also, any computers that ship with DVD players these days come with DVD playback software anyway.

Why the hell should Microsoft pay a license for enabling DVD playback for every single Windows computer when the vast majority don't even have DVD players anymore?

3) Random straw-man fluff bullshit that he added just to get a second page and set of ad views out of his article.

Thanks for the clarification.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Having problems with W10 and am planning on going back to 7. If I do can I do the free upgrade again in the future when hopefully my problems are sorted out?

How do you diagnose IRQL issues? I haven't seen one of those since like Millenium and on my Windows 7 laptop it never crashed until I upgraded. It's crashed several times now.

I had problems with this also, try this. It helped me a lot to find the cause, in my case it was a old driver for my network adapter.

Lazaro

Why am I not surprised it comes from Forbes. I'm starting to find Western media becoming way to critical against Microsoft.

Its funny, on Windows 10 release day while watching TV the only tech related news the news programmes talked about was how revolutionary Apple Music will become and how revolutionary iOS9 will be when it comes out. It's weird because they didn't go into detail about Apple Music or iOS9. It was like a public service announcement for iOS users.

I don't use Apple products but I find it weird when I see their PR in use like this. Apple PR justs gives me bad vibes.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Upgraded and did a clean install after that. Edge seems to work pretty fine.

Anything knows how to change the path for your browser downloads? Don't want it to go on my SSD.

I like how today's update fixed the Action Center icon lighting up for no reason. They still have to fix those 2 pixels of shadow at the top though.

Sai

Just got the notification to install it earlier this evening. Haven't toyed with it much, but I did try out the Xbox One streaming, and was surprised by how good it was. Just a bit blurry, but I could hardly notice any delays.

Using a Surface Pro 2, by the way.

My work machine just got it earlier. Installed, looks and feels nice so far, no compatibility issues etc.. See how it goes before I roll over the other machines here.

Just building the USB installer now.

So I've resetted my PC and took the no any personal files option to thoroughly clean it. I've only resetted it on the main windows partition but now my laptop works like a charm. The downside is I can't go back to Windows 8.1 easily though but since the manufacturer's hidden partition is spared, I just have to use the supplied recovery software. Installing tons of apps is a pain though, especially since I have a bandwidth capped internet connection.

For now, I'm setting up the back-up software and creating a system image since this looks like a clean reformat of my main partition.

When I try to go to change my account to my microsoft account through account settings, it opens a black window for like half a second, and then it vanishes just as quick, and nothing happens.

What's goin' on?

I have this exact same issue with any Microsoft Account dialog. No idea what the problem is and is an impossible problem to google. Only
real issue with it is I can't use the store. Oh well.

Installed today's update and thought I'd give a reset another try after it failed multiple times before. Despite getting all the way through the resetting percentage, I got "inaccessible boot device" after that and it went back and undid changes.

So, still living with sleep mode not working and can't save anything to C: :/

Also, how is the "Runtime Broker" process often idling at 20-25% CPU usage?
Runtime Broker is a Windows process in Task Manager that helps manage permissions on your PC for apps from Windows Store.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Okay, so I know it's just an OS refresh, but now that I have it I want to play. Is there anything cool/neat/interesting that Win 10 has added over 8.1?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Is it worth it to upgrade from Win 7? Will it format my hard disk if I do so?

I definitely think it's worth it. It feels much like W7 but faster, better looking, etc, with some nice new features. Basically what W8 (which I skipped) should have been.

It asks whether or not you want to keep your stuff. If you choose to wipe everything you can choose to wipe just the system partition or all partitions. The route I went was to keep everything through the upgrade just to be safe, and then I did a reset (there's a built-in option for that now) and wiped the system partition (all my important files are on another partition) to get a clean install. Everything went very smoothly.

As someone who's currently on a Mac but is considering giving Windows 10 a shot next time I buy a PC, is it normal for PCs to not come with DVD drives now? That seems kinda strange to me.

On topic, I like the look of Windows 10. I've not really used Windows other than using Windows 7 on my Mac under Parallels but given the performance of Windows 7 on my 5 year old iMac I'd probably be better off getting a PC next time!

Upgraded my wife's Asus laptop last night and the trackpad is really wonky..sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
I got an Asus N56J and Smart Gestures really messed up my trackpad, maybe it conflicts with the W10 gestures.

Delete those drivers and check if you got the Elan touchpad drivers installed. I got 15.8.4.3_x64_WHQL and it works great now.

Anyone else having Edge constantly refresh when switching tabs? Acting real strange all of a sudden...

It does that when the memory usage is high I guess, though might be some bug because sometimes edge is the one using too much memory and tab reloading still occurs.

Tubie

My Windows 7 PC just got the option to download it and instal and I'm gonna go ahead and do it.

Few questions I didn't see or missed in this thread:

Is it easy to revert back to Windows 7 if for some crazy reason I don't like 10?

My sister never reserved 10 on her laptop, will it be possible for me to get her a free upgrade to Windows 10 eventually?

Thanks!

Edit: her laptop is actually 8.1 nvm on that.

M3d10n

As someone who's currently on a Mac but is considering giving Windows 10 a shot next time I buy a PC, is it normal for PCs to not come with DVD drives now? That seems kinda strange to me.

Most PCs sold nowadays are laptops and ultrabooks.

Also, Microsoft does perform telemetry on old versions of Windows such as Windows 7 so they have a pretty reliable number of how many people have optical drives and maybe even how often they are used.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
I bet you most of the problems people have with Windows 10 (drivers, not working etc..) is because they were not patient and forced the update instead of waiting for microsoft to say, its ready. People that know what they are doing, it is fine. But if you have friends and family, just tell them to wait for the pop that says windows 10 is ready to install.
PSY・S;174073464 said:
I barely touched it but I flicked through all the settings/features and it seemed bareboned as hell. I didn't let it add any of my music to its library though and just opened a few files into it because I didn't want it to screw anything up..
groove music - settings - music on this pc - choose where we look for music?

Paganmoon

My Windows 7 PC just got the option to download it and instal and I'm gonna go ahead and do it.

Few questions I didn't see or missed in this thread:

Is it easy to revert back to Windows 7 if for some crazy reason I don't like 10?

My sister never reserved 10 on her laptop, will it be possible for me to get her a free upgrade to Windows 10 eventually?

Thanks!

Edit: her laptop is actually 8.1 nvm on that.

You have 1 month of Windows 10, to revert back to previous OS (at least if you had 8.1 before), not sure how easy it is, downgrade or reinstall.

I believe the upgrade is free for 1 year, so you have time to still upgrade even if you didn't reserve prior to launch.

Tubie

You have 1 month of Windows 10, to revert back to previous OS (at least if you had 8.1 before), not sure how easy it is, downgrade or reinstall.

I believe the upgrade is free for 1 year, so you have time to still upgrade even if you didn't reserve prior to launch.

Thanks!

Just finished the upgrade, everything seems to be working perfectly so far.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
I bet you most of the problems people have with Windows 10 (drivers, not working etc..) is because they were not patient and forced the update instead of waiting for microsoft to say, its ready. People that know what they are doing, it is fine. But if you have friends and family, just tell them to wait for the pop that says windows 10 is ready to install.

groove music - settings - music on this pc - choose where we look for music?

I waited for the pop up and I'm still having problems.

mokeyjoe

Ke0

Hopefully someone can answer this, no review ever seems to touch on this.

Does Windows 10 finally introduce inactive window scrolling?

Example being, in OSX I currently have two apps side by side (Chrome and RubyMine) and I can interact with rubymine without ever having to make it the active window. I can scroll up and down by simply having the cursor over the window but Chrome is still the active window (so I can type this post while scrolling in rubymine).

I know it doesn't seem like it's a big deal, but it really is. Once you're use to it, it's hard to go back to constantly clicking through windows just to scroll little by little and other small interactions.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Example being, in OSX I currently have two apps side by side (Chrome and RubyMine) and I can interact with rubymine without ever having to make it the active window. I can scroll up and down by simply having the cursor over the window but Chrome is still the active window (so I can type this post while scrolling in rubymine).

I know it doesn't seem like it's a big deal, but it really is. Once you're use to it, it's hard to go back to constantly clicking through windows just to scroll little by little and other small interactions.

Yes.

basefree

Unless you're being sarcastic, I don't see how this makes any difference. It's not as if the auto-installer is intelligent in figuring out which drivers work best with which systems and tailors your download as such.

Tubie

I just tried this and it does work. I tried having firefox and a bunch of other apps open and I could just and scroll and interact on all without having to make them the active window.

This is very nice now that I know about it, small thing but very nice indeed. In windows 7 you had to make a windows your active window to interact with it.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Unless you're being sarcastic, I don't see how this makes any difference. It's not as if the auto-installer is intelligent in figuring out which drivers work best with which systems and tailors your download as such.

Yes, it is...? I mean, in the best case scenario that's exactly what it's supposed to do, and for me it did. All drivers I needed were automatically installed without a single issue. Graphics (integrated Intel + dedicated Nvidia), sound, touchpad, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi + LAN, etc. Everything just worked right away. I was shocked.

Ke0

Yes it does, whatever window the mouse cursor is over whether it is inactive or not will scroll.

I just tried this and it does work. I tried having firefox and a bunch of other apps open and I could just and scroll and interact on all without having to make them the active window.

This is very nice now that I know about it, small thing but very nice indeed. In windows 7 you had to make a windows your active window to interact with it.

Nice! That was always my pet peeve with older versions of Windows, I had to install third party apps and they never really since they all simply made whatever window was under your cursor active. Really hated using Windows because of it.

Sounds super awesome. I'll have to upgrade when I get home.

Cheers fellas!

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I got an Asus N56J and Smart Gestures really messed up my trackpad, maybe it conflicts with the W10 gestures.

Delete those drivers and check if you got the Elan touchpad drivers installed. I got 15.8.4.3_x64_WHQL and it works great now.

I had to go here to download the W10 drivers: http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=smart+gesture

You have to uninstall the existing drivers first - repairing the install doesn't fix the issue.

Although Windows Update seems to have now installed Elan drivers :/ They work OK so I may as well stick with them

Thanks guys. Got the new gesture drivers and that did the trick!

So i used the Reset feature in Windows to format and now I got the Blue Screen every time I start the pc. Doesn't even get to desktop. Anyone got a fix for this?

Top feedback for Sweden in the built-in feedback app:
EPOiC4c.png

Who's surprised?

Idiotic decision by Microsoft.

The issue, I believe, is not about Cortana understanding the language, but is more about making Cortana culturally aware/relevant for each respective country.

Apparently my computer restarted for an update overnight. No sure what fixes it made for me, but I came across this once I checked for software updates on the Windows Store.
The last thing updated, but it's completely blank. I have no idea what it is supposed to be for.

Top Bottom