• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS|OT|October 2017- The only thing scarier than Messi's avatar are Marvels sales

Just as a heads up regarding American Vampire: in the last 4 and a half years there's been 3 trades and one was made up of an anthology and an annual lol. The series has ground to a halt in the most brutal manner, I don't think I could recommend it to anyone without mentioning that. What a waste of a pretty good series when it debuted. The whole first cycle was awesome.

Also Snyder reneged on the idea he had an end in mind recently and said he saw the book continuing indefinitely lol so who knows. I think Albuquequere on his part is taking a break in comkcs before working on a Gaiman project. Worth considering before buying in.

If we consider American Vampire as recent, Locke & Key is a good option.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
OK Snyder N52 Batman Vol 2 was better than I remember.

1 PM nfl games started, but I will get around to the two Joker volumes (3&7) this week. although part of me wants to just read through 3, 4, 5, 6 7.

worth it?

Messi

1 PM nfl games started, but I will get around to the two Joker volumes (3&7) this week. although part of me wants to just read through 3, 4, 5, 6 7.

worth it?

It's all good. Zero Year was my favourite arc

Vic_Viper

Just as a heads up regarding American Vampire

If we consider American Vampire as recent, Locke & Key is a good option.

Does the First cycle have a decent ending at least? Where was the series at when Snyder started his New 52 Batman run?

worth it?

I think it is if you like what youve read so far. I mean, Year Zero is awesome but its an entire years worth of story so its up to you really.

Does the First cycle have a decent ending at least?

Yea, it does. If you can live with that, vol. 1-5 is a really good set of trades, much easier to recommend that way. I know it would bother some folks knowing there's a bit more out there and a crawling open ended plan lol

I think it was maybe 3 volumes in at that point? I managed to finish the first cycle up without much hassle, it had the great mini and everything. It's just ever since, it's super clear that Snyder's passion and priority is his DC work. Nothing wrong with that, but AmVamp has just kind of died in the mean time. Wytches, while never as good as AmVamp, just kind of curled up and died too after it's first arc. It is what it is with Snyder lol, just worth having an idea about.

Mmm, slipped my mind, but Harrow County is a good horror vibed folklorey book, there's pretty modern.

Weiss

Banned
Is Ms. Marvel worth reading anymore? The last two arcs have been awful and I'm debating getting rid of my trades.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Here I was, wondering why nobody was talking about comics as it turns out to be October!

Read Darth Maul today, which was very great. Even when i still feel like its out of character to see Maul talking.

Is Ms. Marvel worth reading anymore? The last two arcs have been awful and I'm debating getting rid of my trades.

I'm still hanging on. Though the last arc was a snoozefest and I don't even have any memory of what the one before that was. But I still plan on continuing to buy the hardcovers as they come out. It's a fun series and the art is usually quite good. I may duck out for a while if the next arc isn't really good, though.

Read Darth Maul today, which was very great. Even when i still feel like its out of character to see Maul talking.

I still have to read the latest Dr. Aphra and a few other books leftover from the past couple weeks of September.

Weiss

Banned
I'm still hanging on. Though the last arc was a snoozefest and I don't even have any memory of what the one before that was. But I still plan on continuing to buy the hardcovers as they come out. It's a fun series and the art is usually quite good. I may duck out for a while if the next arc isn't really good, though.

I still have to read the latest Dr. Aphra and a few other books leftover from the past couple weeks of September.

Yeah CWII was atrocious and the arc after that with the AI was kinda fun but ran way too long. I'm just completely losing interest, and Ms. Marvel got me back into comics in a big way.

jon bones

still looking for great, self contained completed modern DC runs - i am taking a break from Valiant and have 0 interest in anything from Marvel (outside Kamala)

probably gonna do Azzarello WW and then the latest Rukla run

Grayson also on the list

Planetary -> Midnighter -> Midnighter & Apollo is also there

I think it is if you like what youve read so far. I mean, Year Zero is awesome but its an entire years worth of story so its up to you really.

thanks, i’m actually not super into “early Batman” right now so i’m gonna pass

any harm in going Death of the Family -> Endgame - All-Star?

i don’t want to start King’s run until he’s done but i do want to read Metal in Feb

Yeah CWII was atrocious and the arc after that with the AI was kinda fun but ran way too long. I'm just completely losing interest, and Ms. Marvel got me back into comics in a big way.

All books have an ebb and flow to them. Some arcs are amazing, some not so much. Very few books have been consistently great for the entire run, and the likelihood of that happening decreases the longer a book continues.

Weiss

Banned
All books have an ebb and flow to them. Some arcs are amazing, some not so much. Very few books have been consistently great for the entire run, and the likelihood of that happening decreases the longer a book continues.

Squirrel Girl tho! That's been running almost as long and has still been great. Ms. Marvel's gone downhill since the relaunch.

Ms. Marvel's problem is that it's mostly dealing with just her life with supervillains showing up and messing with it. That's fine, but every once in awhile you need to put the superhero stuff as the A and her life as the B.

still looking for great, self contained completed modern DC runs - i am taking a break from Valiant and have 0 interest in anything from Marvel (outside Kamala)

probably gonna do Azzarello WW and then the latest Rukla run

Grayson also on the list

Planetary -> Midnighter -> Midnighter & Apollo is also there
I liked Starfire quite a bit, it was fairly recent. If you like it, and haven't read it already, then Power Girl Power Trip is a great run. Not as new though.

While it's not really DCU, Flintstones is very good, self contained, and finished.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Also Snyder reneged on the idea he had an end in mind recently and said he saw the book continuing indefinitely lol so who knows.
Ugh, why? It clearly needs to end in some fashion. Or at least evolve into something more like, say, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, where they can return for a new story every once in a while but those things are relatively standalone. As an ongoing, American Vampire is clearly dead.

Wytches, while never as good as AmVamp, just kind of curled up and died too after it's first arc. It is what it is with Snyder lol, just worth having an idea about.
It baffles me that Snyder and Jock didn't keep striking while the iron was hot. I'm not sure who, or what, was the holdup. And now it's returning with some mini prequel to the second arc layered in Image+ issues? Kay...

I wonder what it is with Daredevil that almost every run of it wins a Eisner Award
Yet he never gets a more robust rogues gallery. Kingpin, Bullseye, Typhoid Mary, The Owl, and The Hand.

Like we could add a couple more. Jester, Gladiator, Stilt Man, and Leap Frog don't really do much. Purple Man and Mister Hyde show up, but they aren't really DD villains.

Sandfox

Yet he never gets a more robust rogues gallery. Kingpin, Bullseye, Typhoid Mary, The Owl, and The Hand.

Like we could add a couple more. Jester and Leap Frog don't really do much.
Soule created a new villian that seems to be well received. Becoming a recurring villain depends on other writers though.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Old Man Hawkeye, 12 issue series by Ethan Sacks and Marc Checchetto

http://www.nydailynews.com/amp/ente...quel-series-old-man-hawkeye-article-1.3532831

Best thing that I didnt knew that I wanted. I love to see them explore the world of where the Villains won more, it was always the most interesting part of the original book for me. It just suffered when they pushed in all the new heroes stuff that wasnt there in the original when Bendis wrote the Battleworld book.

The first list of October! And a statue release already. At least I'm not buying as much as Messi.

Batman The Dawnbreaker #1
Batman White Knight #1
Elephantmen #78
Extremity #7
I Hate Fairyland Special Edition
Paper Girls #16
Walking Dead #172
Jessica Jones #13
Captain Phasma #3
Giant Days #31
Hillbilly #8
Motor Girl #9

DC Cover Girls Death statue by Stanley Lau

Thanks for another awesome OP y'all!

Been rewatching Lost lately, cant believe I never noticed Paul Dini and Brian K Vaughn were involved with the show. On Season 6 now, then I start Buffy!

The first season is a little slow. But stick with it. It's important to establish the characters, especially Buffy herself. And then you get season 2, which is amazing!

Hey, can anyone tell me when the Life is Strange prequel will be released in Canada? I tried googling and I'm all out of ideas.

oni_saru

Made my first instocktrades purchase! Slowly but surely building my comics collection :3

Got Birds of Prey vol 1-3, Lucifer book one, Midnighter and Apollo

Prepping for NYCC.

are sketchbooks still a thing or do you have to set aside a commissions spot to have someone draw in one

I have a few and I mostly take commission spots for pieces in them. but mine are usually 9x12 size, maybe in a small one artists will just sketch right then and there

Thanks for another awesome OP y'all!

The first season is a little slow. But stick with it. It's important to establish the characters, especially Buffy herself. And then you get season 2, which is amazing!

Hey, can anyone tell me when the Life is Strange prequel will be released in Canada? I tried googling and I'm all out of ideas.
Hot take: S2 is in the bottom half of seasons for BtVS

Can someone tell me about Jessica Cruz? I'm not able to buy any books at the moment, but I still want to learn about the first female Green Lantern.

geomon

Can someone tell me about Jessica Cruz? I'm not able to buy any books at the moment, but I still want to learn about the first female Green Lantern.

She actually started off as a villain but overcame it and was granted a Green Lantern ring. I highly, highly recommend picking up the Green Lanterns trades when you're able to. I thought she was just ok before (along with Simon Baz) but now I love those characters.

Ugh, why? It clearly needs to end in some fashion. Or at least evolve into something more like, say, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, where they can return for a new story every once in a while but those things are relatively standalone. As an ongoing, American Vampire is clearly dead.

It baffles me that Snyder and Jock didn't keep striking while the iron was hot. I'm not sure who, or what, was the holdup. And now it's returning with some mini prequel to the second arc layered in Image+ issues? Kay...

First of all, I do think he's the source of the holdups on those books, because the evidence goes beyond them. The Severed sequel never materialised either, there are other creator owned works he's discussed that never saw the light of day. Second, I think Snyder has/had very good intentions and plenty of ideas pertaining to his creator owned work, and getting back to them seriously. However, unlike what we see a lot these days with a Brubaker, Rucka, Hickman, Fraction, someone who's willing to do big two work and might come back and even do a run as one of their top folks now and then but is really ideally working towards doing their own stuff and/or trying to do TV work etc permanently, Snyder LIVES for his DC work. It is his number one priority & passion. Frustrating if you're sitting wishing he was doing his own stuff, but Snyder is exactly where he wants to be, not as a means to an end imo.

I reckon if this phase of his career ever passes he'll get back to that stuff but for as long as he's where he's at, nope. I could even see him going the Johns route and becoming a full time part of the engine within the company on a business level so who knows if this phase will pass as such. I always assumed during his initial Bat run he'd jump to Marvel eventually but he's so ingrained at DC now. Interesting career path for a guy who seemingly wanted to go the novel route and in the path of Stephen King originally but hey, if he's happy. You just gotta take it in stride any time he mentions any of these books. He was claiming Wytches was coming back with two full arcs planned, and then an oversized one shot and an arc until they announced the Image+ thing and an arc lol.

Some Nobody

She actually started off as a villain but overcame it and was granted a Green Lantern ring. I highly, highly recommend picking up the Green Lanterns trades when you're able to. I thought she was just ok before (along with Simon Baz) but now I love those characters.

She was never a villain. She got the evil Power Ring from Earth 3 that took over her consciousness because it ran off fear and she was terrified of everything. Eventually, she willed herself to take control and in doing so made herself worthy of having a Green Lantern ring. Which is awesome. Jessica's easily one of the best characters to come out of that era.

Edit: How many people had a version of the Super Soldier Serum before Marvel started whittling them down? Nick and Natasha for sure, who else?

caliph95

She was never a villain. She got the evil Power Ring from Earth 3 that took over her consciousness because it ran off fear and she was terrified of everything. Eventually, she willed herself to take control and in doing so made herself worthy of having a Green Lantern ring. Which is awesome. Jessica's easily one of the best characters to come out of that era.

Edit: How many people had a version of the Super Soldier Serum before Marvel started whittling them down? Nick and Natasha for sure, who else?
America had a bunch Captain America rip offs that failed

Technically Cage was suppose to be iirc

Red Skull at one point

In the ultimate universe it was responsible for everything

GAMEPROFF

Banned
The grandfather of Patriot was also the "first" user of the serum, they tested it on him before giving it to white people.

tim1138

Latina from the Pacific Northwest
Severe anxiety issues
Became a shut in after she and her friends witnessed a a murder while hiking, her friends were also killed but Jessica got away
Was possessed by the evil power ring from Earth 3 due to her fear
Taken in by the Justice League to try and help control the ring since it couldn't be removed
The consciousness in the ring took over her body, trapping her in the ring
She regained control, seemingly sacrificed herself to the Black Racer to save the Flash
The evil ring was destroyed, Jessica survived, and was chosen to be a Green Lantern
Now partnered with Simon Baz as the Lanterns of Section 2814

Jessica is a great character, one of the standout new creations for DC.

For her story to date read Forever Evil, New 52 Justice League vol 6-8, Rebirth Green Lanterns.

jon bones

reading Snyder Batman.. his Joker is real fucking creepy. perfect reading for these Fall mornings.

Jessica is a great character, one of the standout new creations for DC.

For her story to date read Forever Evil, New 52 Justice League vol 6-8, Rebirth Green Lanterns.

you guys are selling me on this GL - will check her out at some point. thank you for organizng which books i need!

i always wanted to read that big Johns GL epic run but it was so unweildy. im glad i can pick up a smaller scale GL run and get a cool minority character in the process.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Didn’t Black Panther once get some SSS?

I heard something that the hearshaped fruit has the natural effect that Erskine wanted to emulate with his formula, but I can be wrong since I am not so deep into Black Panther lore.

We should ask Slayven.

Slayven Slayven Slayven!

Top Bottom