• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo giving Devs free Wii U kits?

Cipherr

This makes things look worse.

:-/

I dont think it makes things look any worse than they are. It just illuminates how extraordinarily dire things actually are.

The WiiU isn't on the ropes, its damn near dead. This is a sign that they realize it. And while its a good thing that they finally understand, its still to late. This thing is over.

Wow. not good. They're getting closer to being a software only company.

I wouldnt go nearly that far. But I do think that its decided already that they will be #3 this gen in the home console market. That ship has sailed IMO.

Pineconn

I wouldnt go nearly that far. But I do think that its decided already that they will be #3 this gen in the home console market. That ship has sailed IMO.

Behind the Durango? Really? Only if they don't implement the always-on DRM.

Unless you placed Durango at #4 and Ouya at #1 or #2.

I dont think it makes things look any worse than they are. It just illuminates how extraordinarily dire things actually are.

The WiiU isn't on the ropes, its damn near dead. This is a sign that they realize it. And while its a good thing that they finally understand, its still to late. This thing is over.
The system is five months old and has a comparable LTD of other systems from in a historical context. Is the Wii U doing well? No. Is it dead? No. If things are this bad going into the holiday season, then yeah, I'd say the Wii U has no chance of being hugely successful.

Then again, people were crowing on about how the 3DS was dead before and immediately after its price drop. The Wii U could easily reverse its shoddy performance by a price drop with a contemporaneously launched big game to drive home the appeal.

The more troubling aspect here is that Nintendo wound up in the same situation twice in a row. The Wii U is very much salvageable, but it shouldn't have to be salvaged, especially not after the 3DS launch. The fact that they couldn't build off the gangbusters success of the Wii is also disconcerting. But these are longer-term managerial things that need addressing after the Wii U has been turned around.

Opiate

Behind the Durango? Really? Only if they don't implement the always-on DRM.

Unless you placed Durango at #4 and Ouya at #1 or #2.

Yes. The Durango will get strong support from the big four publishers. Wii U will not and has not. Lots of mistakes (such as always online DRM) can be reduced in severity when you have lots of support to cover them up.

The way I see it, you can argue this 8 ways to sunday. It'snot that big of a deal, how much does it really matter, but, at the end of the day, always on is a flaw.
And if I have the choice, and I do, I choose not to have this flaw in my home console.

Yep, getting more indie support and offering eShop incentives makes thinks look worse ......erm what ?

You need to get into the console warrior mindset. It's all about scoring points on video game forums.

This is good news if true. Do whatever you have to do within reason to get games on your console and help the little guys who may some day be the big (and hopefully loyal) guys.

Fair point ;)

I just meant we'll see in a year whether more software can bring the sales up to respectable numbers. If Retro is working on an Space Marine chest high wall FPS, hold on to your underwear.

I own a Wii U and would like to see it succeed. That said, I don't think that the cost of a dev kit is what is stopping developers from embracing the platform, nor do I think a handful of e shop games will change the public perception of the system.

Yes. The Durango will get strong support from the big four publishers. Wii U will not and has not. Lots of mistakes (such as always online DRM) can be reduced in severity when you have lots of support to cover them up.

I don't think anyone is seriously deluded enough to recommend Nintendo in this day and age to a one console gamer. But, I submit Nintendo is probably the best choice for the second console in your life.

Wow, Nintendo fans are going crazy here. You guys take video games way too seriously. To get that worked up over what someone else thinks. lol It's just my opinion of what I think might or might not happen. You act like it would be a bad thing if Nintendo only made games. Nintendo makes good games.

I wouldn't go nearly that far. But I do think that its decided already that they will be #3 this gen in the home console market. That ship has sailed IMO.

I see what you mean.

Wow, Nintendo fans are going crazy here. You guys take video games way too seriously. To get that worked up over what someone else thinks. lol It's just my opinion of what I think might or might not happen. You act like it would be a bad thing if Nintendo only made games. Nintendo makes good games.

I see what you mean.

Nintendo's stated in the past it will just exit the game market rather than develop third party software.

Meelow

Banned

Expect it would be a bad thing if Nintendo stopped making hardware, Sega for example.

And how much times do we have to talk about this? I don't remember, was Sony this doomed by some people when the PS3 released?

Chaplain

Nintendo's stated in the past it will just exit the game market rather than develop third party software.

This doesn't make any sense to me. So, they choose not to make any more consoles, and have to let go of the majority of their employees because they do not want to become a third party? Huh?

Darryl

Banned

I see what you mean.

No, you just don't understand how their total business strategy would have to change if they did that. Even their game output would change. Do you believe 2D Marios are rehashed out now? Nintendo moving third-party means that the "platformer" market would move to competitors consoles. Now, Nintendo will have to churn out yearly 2D big budget Mario games to fully saturate the market to risk competitors overtaking them. Everyone will be churning out those games. It'll erode their iconic franchises and destroy them as a software developer. Not to mention their big money making games like Wii Fit, which help pay for the less-profitable games like Mario Galaxy and Skyward Sword would no longer exist. Their ability for software experimentation would severely decline.

stuminus3

I don't remember, was Sony this doomed by some people when the PS3 released?
Yes, absolutely. It's silly and a little tiresome. So far nobody on GAF has ever proven themselves to be some kind of time travelling Jesus, except for that one amazing guy who told us about Mortal Kombat vs DC years before it happened.

This doesn't make any sense to me. So, they choose not to make any more consoles, and have to let go of the majority of their employees because they do not want to become a third party? Huh?
It's a catch 22. The point is they're saying they'll never let it actually happen.

Yea and the always on drm is probably something those devs asked for anyway.

Madness

It's simple, not many consumers want the Wii U at this price point with this small of a games selection.

I think this is a good step in the right direction.

Schnozberry

I own a Wii U and would like to see it succeed. That said, I don't think that the cost of a dev kit is what is stopping developers from embracing the platform, nor do I think a handful of e shop games will change the public perception of the system.

I don't have any real disagreements with you, but a large library of relatively affordable and fun to play indie games is not a bad thing for the Wii U or any platform. Nintendo has to bring the thunder with their first party games and third party partnerships if the platform is to really succeed.

Tobor

Everyone always says this as if it's it's written in some unbreakable contract. When push comes to shove, they'll do whatever they need to do to survive, just like any other company.

I imagine all the trolls hitting F5 on the main gaf page waiting for something to say Wii U xxxxx.

How could this possibly be a bad move? If at the end more games, indie or not, are made for the system. Although it is clear this is a move more for the indie crowd.

There are some indie games that are a joy to play, the more are released on Wii U the better, and with the Unity deal, it is a no brainer for them.

Yep. They are fucked.

At least Vita has full indie support. Here in WiiU they ask Nintendo to put their character in Smash Bros.

Months old ports and PS3 tag alongs count as support? This is like saying the Wii U has 3rd party support

VariantX

If that's what they have to do to get the games made to fill out the gaps in their line up, so be it. There's no reason for me to knock them for doing things like this to turn their fortunes around for the better.

The_Lump

Banned
Been happening for a while now with indie devs. In fact Nintendo have been very Indie friendly so far with WiiU.

So it was doomed from the start? Cos they been doing this from the start.

Too little too late. The console's mindshare is lower than any console since the Gamecube, and there's little reason for third parties to support it right now.

JWong

Banned
So it's like Sony with Vita? I could only see this benefiting to very small indies. I just hope this isn't because Nintendo can't find people to sell them to.

Vita devkit is like very cheap to begin with.

TV Console devkits are usually ten times more expensive.

Tobor

It pretty much is, though. Well, games and marketing.

No, it really isn't. The hardware is also too expensive, and the tablet isn't compelling to consumers. Add in the lack of software and it's a total failure, from stem to stern.

v1oz

☑ Learn to code
☑ Get the help of a graphical designer
☑ Come up with a game
☑ Make the game (in progress)
☑ Get a secure space for the devkit
☑ Get a devkit (hopefully get it for free!)
☐ Have previous professional game dev experience

:(
That approach just leads to more shovel ware like on app stores (iOS/Android/OUYA).

The key is getting all the talented up & coming devs. Especially small countries like Poland and Sweden with untapped gaming dev scenes.

Schnozberry

No, it really isn't. The hardware is also too expensive, and the tablet isn't compelling to consumers. Add in the lack of software and it's a total failure, from stem to stern.

Can you give me some stock advice for 2015, since you've seen how all this plays out already?

v1oz

Yea, I applied and I'm hoping for the best but it still had a semi-requirement on it for past completed projects. I'm hoping they don't just ignore those who had nothing to put in. If they really open this console up, I'd be so thrilled. The GamePad has so many easily accessible, incredibly cool concepts to work on.
It makes sense to me. You don't wanna give dev kits out to hobbyists.

Why don't you just put out a quick PC or iOS game first? Just to get your name out there and your foot in the industry.

Kouriozan

Yup, Nintendo want more games on eShop, that can only mean a bad news, right?
Panic mode Nintendo would have been rushed games + price drop + ambassador program V 2.0

Strong, appealing software would trump all of that. We're not exactly talking about $599 here.

wsippel

Banned
Yeah, no. The system isn't priced out of reach, and the tablet doesn't have to be compelling in itself.

Top Bottom