• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta has a mode which caters to the true Ninja Dogs

ColdSoup

Neo Member
Completely ridiculous. :lol

Not even DMC 1 easy automatic went so far as to practically play itself. Can this even be called "gameplay".

Why would they even add this mode? The time they used to add this feature could have gone to making an even better game.

Its not like throwing a super easy game plays itself mode is going to help this niche game sell enough copies to warrant the time to implement this feature.

Its a waste of time and resources.

Considering it can be toggled on and off, it's likely so people don't get to an extremely frustrating part and call it quits and/or write the game off.

How many people called bullshit at the (in my opinion pretty fair) Boss Rush from Viewtiful Joe? How many people quit right then and there?

For better or worse, Kamiya doesn't want people to throw down the game and never see the rest. Yeah, yeah, you have to "earn" it, but it's not really any different from giving up and watching an LP on Youtube.

AniHawk

Sounds good to me. I'll be playing on normal because half the fun is finding the different combos for yourself, but it'll be good for newbies if things get too frustrating.

Corto

This mode existing in the game doesn't affects me, and my ability to fully enjoy the game, but as always The Simpsons have a commentary to make:

20090825-mtf4mabk1jqn8ty5rb8q7embjw.gif

or

20090825-nng4cmdrtc6yk5gqt36y24h5uq.gif

ColdSoup

Neo Member
ShockingAlberto said:
Considering it can be toggled on and off, it's likely so people don't get to an extremely frustrating part and call it quits and/or write the game off.

How many people called bullshit at the (in my opinion pretty fair) Boss Rush from Viewtiful Joe? How many people quit right then and there?

For better or worse, Kamiya doesn't want people to throw down the game and never see the rest. Yeah, yeah, you have to "earn" it, but it's not really any different from giving up and watching an LP on Youtube.

Throwing this mode into the game is really not going to help this niche game sell enough copies to warrant the time to implement this feature.

The addition of this mode is stupid. And its a waste of time and resources that could have gone to making an even better game.

ColdSoup said:
Throwing this mode into the game is really not going to help this niche game sell enough copies to warrant the time to implement this feature.

The addition of this mode is stupid. And its a waste of time and resources that could have gone to making an even better game.
When did I say sales?

And if you could go ahead and tell me what time and resources went in to it, I'd be appreciative. Everyone is so insistent that they have numbers for this and I feel like that has to be the case to get so worked up about it.

NoitoraJirugajr

Neo Member
I like the option in case the next up difficulty mode gets too frustrating. Its like how I love MGS games always include a VERY EASY mode so I can go around killing everyone instead of having to use stealth.

Rorschach

I hadn't really kept track of this game because it looked sorta... generic to me, but after watching that video, I'm interested. Not because of the controls, but all the shit she was doing looked pretty cool. Some of the longer combos look like they'd be fun as hell to chain in normal mode.

Dizzle24

Everyone's complaining about a mode which you DON'T have to use.

It's not taking anything away from the game. Quit yer bitchin'! :D

I'm not feeling it, why not just lower the difficulty to a stupidly easy extent (less mobs, weaker mobs, more health, more damage etc...) this idea just seems stupid because I can't see anybody wanting to pay a QTE game based around normal action game combat.

Sigmond

quinntendopower said:
i'm pretty sure this was made so IGN could make a complete review of the game

That was probably meant as a joke (or was it?), but I can see this being a real reason to implement such a feature, if not in this game, then others, particularly long and / or hard ones. It's a common complaint that review sites often only play a couple of hours before scoring a game, which is of course a bad thing. Turning on autoplay would at least give them the option to see the rest of the story and maybe resume control when they encounter a new gameplay mechanic or something like that.

I mean, of course they should be finishing games, but a reviewer that at least sees the entire game, if half of it via auto-play, can give a more accurate review than someone who quits five hours in, and developers would probably prefer the former.

ColdSoup

Neo Member
ShockingAlberto said:
When did I say sales?

And if you could go ahead and tell me what time and resources went in to it, I'd be appreciative. Everyone is so insistent that they have numbers for this and I feel like that has to be the case to get so worked up about it.

You didn't say sales. I mentioned sales becasue I was talking about how illogical it is to implement this feature into a niche game.

I'm not sure about the exact amount of time and resources that went into creating this mode. However by common sense, there had to be time and resources spent in creating this mode.

Do you seriously think adding this mode is going to help this game sell much better?

I love Platinum games. But adding this mode is most likely a waste of time.

Kuraudo

Banned
ColdSoup said:
You didn't say sales. I mentioned sales becasue I was talking about how illogical it is to implement this feature into a niche game.

I'm not sure about the exact amount of time and resources that went into creating this mode. However by common sense, there had to be time and resources spent in creating this mode.

Do you seriously think adding this mode is going to help this game sell much better?

The assumption you are making is that, if this mode did not exist, something would have been created in its place. In reality, a bunch of devs would probably have just been working slightly less hard with their workload spread out among more people.

Zanmato

Banned
Just one button seems stupid. If I didn't play games it sounds like it would get boring quick. Does more than one button work to at least give the illusion that you are actually accomplishing something?

ColdSoup

Neo Member
Kuraudo said:
The assumption you are making is that, if this mode did not exist, something would have been created in its place. In reality, a bunch of devs would probably have just been working slightly less hard with their workload spread out among more people.

Yes, it is an assumption that if the devs did not add this mode that they would do something else instead.

But we don't know what they would have done.

Even if they didn't implement this mode they probably would have saved money and made their workload easier.

Perdew

ColdSoup said:

You don't think 'PLAY BAYONETTE WITH ONE HAND' headlines aren't going to help the game sell to its target audience?

Zanmato

Banned
Perdew said:
You don't think 'PLAY BAYONETTE WITH ONE HAND' headlines aren't going to help the game sell to its target audience?
No, it's target is the core. They are buying it anyway. Or is this a joke? I'm too tired right now.

Korey

I think God of War proved that accessibility is really important in this genre. Personally I look forward to using this option for those times where I just want to chill and focus on all of the awesomeness on the screen without having to think much.

ColdSoup

Neo Member
Perdew said:

I'd be suprised if a niche game like Bayonetta sold as much or more than Ninja Gaiden 1.
Which completely lacked an easy mode.

ColdSoup said:

Well, again

The game was meant to be done within the next month.

Now it's meant to be done in December.

They have a number of extra months that were added solely to due to marketing reasons.

If I understand you correctly, you want the game that would have come out without this mode rather than the one that would have come with it even if they were completely identical.

ColdSoup

Neo Member
ShockingAlberto said:
Well, again

The game was meant to be done within the next month.

Now it's meant to be done in December.

They have a number of extra months that were added solely to due to marketing reasons.

If I understand you correctly, you want the game that would have come out without this mode rather than the one that would have come with it even if they were completely identical.

No, it wouldn't matter to me.

As long as the inclusion of the mode doesn't take any time away from the polishing and balancing of the overall product.

I honestly don't understand why the would include this mode into the game. When it probably won't help it sell much.

Ramenman

LOL ONLY ONE BUTTON LOL

http://platinumgames.com/2009/08/25/very-easy-automatic/

Kamiya said:
To complement these, even when you are in Automatic mode, you can still move and dodge under your own control as normal, if you so choose. This means you don’t have to play one handed like in the movie. You can weave in your own movement, kicks, and dodges, enjoying a battle packed with originality. You can consider Automatic mode to be a helping hand from an incredibly skilled expert in the game.

By the way, you can turn Automatic mode on and off anywhere in the game, so you can try a few different play styles I think… If you want to turn it off and get some hands on practice, you can. If you are feeling like, “This is impossible!”Then just turn on Automatic, go back, and try again.

Yes, this post is a reduced version of the blog post I posted last page. But people don't read threads nor long posts so that's probably my best shot at it.

Going back to the gameplay, anybody else notice that to even use torture attacks you have to fill up a line of orbs by killing a bunch of enemies first?

At least they thought of some way to limit QTEs.

Ramenman

Night_Trekker said:
I've been stuck in difficult situations countless times in games which I had to get out of by trying over and over and getting better. It was very satisfying to beat the game instead of having the game step aside for me.

You're clearly not the only one, and this is why when I'm up against a particularly hard boss (that's an example) I don't switch to "easy mode" if the game has this option. I love to have some challenge, because it's satisfying in the end.

But for some people it won't be. I'm sure you have seen reports on GAF of people who have let go of game because of a part they found too hard (I mean, some people even give up on collectathons, but whatever).
Just because you and I find enjoyment and satisfaction in challenge, for some people it isn't the case.

As a game designer, it's only normal to wish that players get to see the end of your game and don't stop playing halfway into it. And it's also not surprising that they try to have the most people enjoy their game.
Now if you think people playing on those too-easy-auto modes won't enjoy the game as much as someone who had to kind of master the controls and die and try again, you may have a point. But even then what's the big deal ? You'll enjoy the game more than them, that's all. And they get to enjoy it too, in their own way, as opposed to not enjoying anything past the first hour because they can't beat the second boss.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
how can people possibly be against this? smh

they shouldn't have made this mode so they can balance the game more? Really? Do you have any idea about what you're talking about.

honestly, depending on how fast it makes the game flow, it COULD be a cool way to show off the games awesome moments to friends. dragons lair comes to mind. not much in terms of gameplay, but its a blast to watch!

not to mention you might pick up on some of the strictly timed power combos which i hope are implemented somehow.

i am completely going apeshit over this game. a lifes work from the MASTER done right. i have a feeling this will finally dethrone ninja gaiden black as greatest 3d action game with balls ever.

i also look forward to whoring tons of video footage from the import and getting youtube hits :D

Kobe

Banned
Its sad whats happening to the gaming industry. Its like Pee-wee baseball that even the losing team gets trophies.

eggandI

Banned
What's the big deal? You don't have to play this way if you don't want. The game still looks ok. Main Character still looks like shit. Nothing much has changed. :D

jrricky

Banned
O...K...I will just ignore that feature (lulz, feature).

Also, I seriously hope that the music playing was just added for the video, its terribly annoying.

f3niks

Sure, they call it Very Easy mode for casual gamers, but to teenage boys and lonely older men it will be dubbed "Masturbation Mode".

Kobe

Banned
eggandI said:
What's the big deal? You don't have to play this way if you don't want. The game still looks ok. Main Character still looks like shit. Nothing much has changed. :D

What ever happened to practicing and becoming good at something? Earning a reward from the sweat of your brow?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Kobe said:
Its sad whats happening to the gaming industry. Its like Pee-wee baseball that even the losing team gets trophies.
it's a piece of software made for the purpose of entertaining people. If I were a game designer, I'd want as many different options in there to help as many different people as possible enjoy my game.

Video games aren't some elite sport that only a select few should get to play and enjoy, guys.

Kobe

Banned
Rez said:
it's a piece of software made for the purpose of entertaining people. If I were a game designer, I'd want as many different options in there to help as many different people as possible enjoy my game.

Video games aren't some elite sport that only a select few should get to play and enjoy, guys.

YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Fun?

... as that dude said you don't have to play this mode if you don't want to. You're retarded.

No shit, Im still talking about the feature itself.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Kobe said:
YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Fun?
For you? No, of course not. There are a range of other modes specifically tuned for your enjoyment, though. I believe they're called Normal and Hard. I suggest choosing one of those when you start the game.

It'll be like this mode isn't even there!

Kobe

Banned
Rez said:
For you? No, of course not. There are a range of other modes specifically tuned for your enjoyment, though. I believe they're called Normal and Hard. I suggest choosing one of those when you start the game.

It'll be like this mode isn't even there!

Same here, the game is looking amazing.

Kobe said:
No shit, Im still talking about the feature itself.

I, too, hate the fact that this game has options for gamers who are different than myself. They should have made it tailored specifically to me and gamers like me!

ColdSoup

Neo Member
Rez said:
Do you have any idea about what you're talking about.

Do you? By not including this mode they could have spent more time elsewhere, right?

Couldn't that time be used to polish and balance the game more? Sounds pretty plausible to me.

Kobe said:
What ever happened to practicing and becoming good at something? Earning a reward from the sweat of your brow?

I don't think the people at what this mode it's aimed, want practice and become good at action games....

Kobe said:

You get rewarded for playing non-competitive videogames? Really? What world are you from, I wanna go there NOW.

It's a freaking non-competitive(see single player) part of an interactive medium, not a sport.

If it were a fighting game with online capabilities where the players who weren't good enough got the AI to do it for them, then you argument would make some sense.

Chances are you won't have to interact with these people in any way, shape, or form. How would this somehow affect you?

It's not like these fuckers get trophies for being bad at a game while you get stuck with nothing for you hard work. Because neither of you get any god damned trophies and in the end society's(see gaming community) ability to give a fuck about your whining is non-existent.

It doesn't affect your playthrough of the game, so buy the game and enjoy it.

Or better yet don't buy it, it'll save space on the XBL/PSN leader boards for people who aren't needy.

Maybe they should make an automatic-easy mode for forming arguments.

Tain

Fimbulvetr said:
You get rewarded for playing non-competitive videogames?

Yes. Just like against a decent opponent in a directly competitive game: with a big old "YOU WIN" and the knowledge that you did something challenging.

Capcom should make Marvel Vs Capcom 3, and then the same day it comes out they can release a list that details every combo, strategy, infinite, glitch, and also mention which characters are the best.

As a bonus they'll tie all of these moves to different directions on the right stick. So that way if you're getting beat pretty badly you can mash the stick until you bust out a dozen triangle assist reverse glitch combos and win the match.

And you know somebody is going to be all "Holy crap this is the future of gaming right here!" and be 100% serious about it.

remz

Do you? By not including this mode they could have spent more time elsewhere, right?

Couldn't that time be used to polish and balance the game more? Sounds pretty plausible to me.
"polish" and "balance" are generally not an issue with this team.

Capcom should make Marvel Vs Capcom 3, and then the same day it comes out they can release a list that details every combo, strategy, infinite, glitch, and also mention which characters are the best.

As a bonus they'll tie all of these moves to different directions on the right stick. So that way if you're getting beat pretty badly you can mash the stick until you bust out a dozen triangle assist reverse glitch combos and win the match.
You realise they already do that with fighting games, right?

Top Bottom