• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 FW 4.45 coming - Trophy notification toggle [Warning: Update bricking PS3s?]

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Dat gaf info hookup. Was minutes away from updating. Luckily xcom finished dling. Now to see how bad this game is.

Persona7

Banned
I managed to get through after rebuilding the database but only about one third of the XMB icons are loading.

Edit : hard freeze

Edit : I rebooted a few times and it seems to be working fine now? weird, I am going to turn it off for now just in case.

I hope all you trophy notification haters feel good for all this pain and suffering you've caused.... lol im just kidding.

It is seriously irritating though.

Eusis

The trophy/cheevo haters can shut up now.
There's still the arguments of affecting game design, but that's nebulous and hard to measure, and at any rate I do imagine the novelty's worn off ENOUGH that now it's just sort of "oh right, we should do this." Then there's games where they show how far along you are all the time, unless they disable that I may as well turn on trophies/achievements just to see when I reach that goar.
I am seeing some reports on twitter as well.

DO NOT UPDATE YOUR PS3 RIGHT NOW
Actually we should probably gather our models and experiences.

Slim (late 2009) - updated - no problems.
*Whistles*

>.>;

;<.<
I guess the only reason you'd turn notifications off is you wanted to treat it like Christmas. Beat a game, and look at all those new trophies.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I should have read the last page first. Hopefully my PS3 doesn't die installing a trophy notification toggle.

PlayStation support forums have a thread with reports but no word from Sony. Symptoms appear to be similar amongst the affected:

• Boots to PS3 logo and then blank sparkly screen, no response afterwards
  • Dualshock won't connect, lights just flash even after plugging in via USB
  • Attempting to rebuild the file system via the recovery menu ends in failure and a prompt to format the system
Might be time to start collecting model numbers, since it looks like only a portion of PS3 owners are seeing this. I've got a 120GB PS3 slim with a 1TB hard drive, CECH-2001A.

Oh, one other thing: people in that forum thread report trying to reformat their drive and STILL getting the ribbon of death. So it's probably not worth formatting your drive just yet.

DigitalOp

Banned
You don't need to unplug it, the PS3 never auto updates itself. It only downloads the firmware.

Sweet, I was reading the thread and shaking my head at how my PS3 was probably a cooked turkey by now.

This is pretty sucky Sony. You can't just bork peoples PS3's like that. NO TROPHIES FOR YOU

androvsky

Swapped out the HDD for an older one and everything loads fine. Looks like it just corrupted the hard drive, in my case.

That's good news I guess, better than a brick. Actually, that sounds like what happened with the very first trophy update, some people's hard drives were corrupted and Sony had to put out a different one quickly afterwards.

Keeping my fingers crossed this helps as my system has taken a total shit since tlou came out. It lags & freezes constantly while not reading any of my blu ray movies. It's one of the older fat 80 gigs so I'm sure its the disc drive but this would be awesome...

My PS3 was just bricked. Watched a blu-ray movie, told I needed to update, after I did, all I got was the wavy screen. Tried restarting w/ no luck. Only option I was left with was restore system data losing everything. That fixed the PS3, but now I have to re-download everything. Oh well.

Busaiku

Dang, I thought this was gonna turn off games checking for trophies on startup...
EDIT - Oh snap, glad I didn't do anything yet.

Persona7

Banned
If you were hit by this, DO NOT FORMAT THE HARD DRIVE IF YOU CARE ABOUT YOUR DATA. Just turn the system off and wait for them to release a new update. You will have to install it from the recovery menu.

Returners

Anybody got problems updating the superslim 500GB?

I was just reading the thread on playstation. Sounded like a lot of them have 1TB drives.

CinosAges

If you were hit by this, DO NOT FORMAT THE HARD DRIVE. Just turn the system off and wait for them to release a new update. You will have to install it from the recovery menu.

After it failed to repair the system file, I can't even access the recovery menu anymore.

This hits me pretty hard because I've been downloading most of my PS3 games recently, so I'm not looking forward to re-downloading everything again.

DavieC726

Let's get some data. What hard drive size do people have. Noticing a lot of 1 TB fails. Has anyone with a non TB hard drive had an issue?

anddo0

If you were hit by this, DO NOT FORMAT THE HARD DRIVE IF YOU CARE ABOUT YOUR DATA. Just turn the system off and wait for them to release a new update. You will have to install it from the recovery menu.

I'm not going to take that step yet. But, Sony had better get a fix out by the time I wake up in the morning. It's too late in the gen to start over. If I lose all my data I'm not starting from scratch. I'm done with PS3.

LegoDad

The ones with a failed update what's your HDD size.

Looks like on PS Forums it's all 1 TB drives that are having issues.

Top Bottom