• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWF/WCW Attitude Era (1995-2001): Time to nostalgia over out favorite moments!

Status
Not open for further replies.

izakq

Being Canadian, the Canada vs USA angle is what made me got into a wrestling in the first place. The storylines became so personal that it was pretty hard not to get hooked.

This was a very unique angle that was played up well. I remember that the RAW shows at the time, were alternating between US and Canadian cities. So at a US show, the Hart Foundation would get booed to hell. But then next week at a Canadian city, they were cheered hugely as heroes. Truly amazing.

Guzim

MOOOARRRRR I NEED MOOARRRRRRRRRRRRR

I remember Ninja Scooter or somebody kept talking about some shoot interview that was really long and in like 9 parts on youtube but it got taken down before i could see it.

I think you would enjoy WWE Legends of Wrestling. It's a round table with various legends that discuss topics in wrestling.

Heat Seekers
Canada

NJPW and AJPW are still the best to watch today - AJPW took a turn for the worse after Misawa left and took half the roster to form NOAH, but while NOAH is not in good health today, AJPW has really improved a ton this past year or two, with guys like Suwama, Shuji Kondo, Takao Omori, Jun Akiyama, Kenny Omega, Hiroshi Yamato, etc, putting on some great matches. NJPW is doing well also and still the biggest company in Japan, although puroresu as a whole is down in popularity. Guys like Shinsuke Nakamura, Hiroshi Tanahashi, Tetsuya Naito, MVP, Minoru Suzuki, Prince Devitt are some of the best to keep an eye out for in NJPW.

If you're looking to watch some online, I've got a bunch of shows up on DailyMotion; http://www.dailymotion.com/playlists/user/SenorLARIATO - I'd definitely recommend the 03/20 AJPW show, which was one of the best puro shows in years from top to bottom.

Yeah, and just had an awesome match against Mutoh. I'm loving his title run and the role he's playing as the returning AJPW veteran, now representing rival promotion NOAH.

Don't forget DDT. I love me some DDT.

courtesy of somedevil, this is something you won't get in that era

1k8cx.gif

Aries is amazing.

This was a very unique angle that was played up well. I remember that the RAW shows at the time, were alternating between US and Canadian cities. So at a US show, the Hart Foundation would get booed to hell. But then next week at a Canadian city, they were cheered hugely as heroes. Truly amazing.

Very polarizing angle. The funny thing was some American Bret fans were going to shows decked out in pro-Canada gear. Remember one show at MSG I went to shortly before the Montreal Screwjob, there must have been over 100 of them.

I started watching wrestling in the spring of 1998 when I was 8.Watched it religiously until about 04 and watch it sometimes since.I think I liked WCW more at the time and then moved on to WWF in 99.WCW went to shit in 2000.

Panzon

Wrestling at it's peak. Anything Austin/Rock related was just pure gold. The other little side stories were cool too. DX and the Alliance were great also

This and the finger poke of doom are what killed WCW for me.
God damn the Finger Poke of Doom. I was a 100% WCW fan until that happened. I remember, even at that young age, knowing how stupid that was. It was at that point I actually stopped watching wrestling for a couple months, until Jericho debuted on Raw, and I became a WWF guy. Been a fan ever since, although my fandom has all but died in the last two years.

dabig2

Man, you know a really awesome guy during those times? Kane. Masked Kane. Dude was a force of nature.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Cl0nsbVflzE#t=503s

I mean, he performs 3 of the best chokeslams ever seen in succession. His 1-handed slams were truly the "chokeslams to hell". Look at the pause in the air to the one he gives to HHH.

Trust me - my 12 year old self was marking the fuck out at this segment.

Now, I haven't really paid much attention to wrestling in a decade, but I did catch an ambulance match with him and John Cena like a month or so ago. And.....yeah. Does he get any respect from the higher ups at the company?

Now, I haven't really paid much attention to wrestling in a decade, but I did catch an ambulance match with him and John Cena like a month or so ago. And.....yeah. Does he get any respect from the higher ups at the company?

He's very well respected I'd imagine. He's been a top star for almost fifteen years now. He's a bit like Big Show in that they don't always have the best feuds for him and he's not constantly involved in world title matches but he's well paid (I imagine) and highly thought of. They did give him the world title for 5 months on Smackdown a couple years ago.

The reason Cena beat him so emphatically in that match you saw is because it was the last PPV before WrestleMania and Cena had to be freed up to focus on his upcoming WrestleMania match with The Rock.

Plus Kane's a heel currently and WWE heels are rarely booked all that strongly anymore.

Mxrz

Always thought the Sting-Crow thing was laaaame. But WCW got weird during that time. Never seen people throw so much trash on the stage. You knew they weren't doing so well to allow that every week.

I was a Undertaker fan ever since he started feuding with Hogan back in early 90s WWF. So I ate all that Undertaker and Kane stuff up during the attitude era. The back and forth of those two kept me watching despite how silly a lot of it started seeming. Never really got on the Rock-Stone cold train.

alstein

Man, you know a really awesome guy during those times? Kane. Masked Kane. Dude was a force of nature.

I mean, he performs 3 of the best chokeslams ever seen in succession. His 1-handed slams were truly the "chokeslams to hell". Look at the pause in the air to the one he gives to HHH.

Kane probably has a ton of respect for his longevity, but he's not a main eventer anymore. He'll have a job for life , just like folks like Sgt.Slaughter, the Briscoes, and Dean Malenko

Kayo-kun

I just found out about this thread =)

I am a fan of 90s pro-wrestling, mainly because this era was my childhood and because it was the time when modern wrestling was at it's best. I remember that I started watching pro-wrestling in the early 90s when I got my hand on some WWF tapes that my friend had. Then I moved later on to WCW since it was the one being broadcasted on Cartoon Network/TNT over here (not to mention it was far more popular than WWF here) and started following it every week around 1997/1998 untill the early 2000s. I was a huge fan of the NWO (which kid wasn't?), the cruiserweights, the stables, and I really enjoyed the major feuds of that time. I recently got access to all of the WCW Nitro events and PPVs so I started rewatching them since december last year. I started at year 1995 and have been watching every Nitro and PPV from that year on untill september 1997 which I am at during this moment. It's been a very enjoyable experience filled with nostalgic moments, even if it sometimes feels like a big waste of time. I don't have too much things to do in my free-time so I probably shouldn't complain.

SoulPlaya

more money than God

You've convinced me man. Kane is awesome.

Dan Yo

Banned
I'm seeing a lot of Rock and Stone Cold here, understandably, but the one that truly defined that era and deserves the most credit was Shawn Michaels.

He was hands down the reason to watch Raw during that era, and I can still remember the day I quit watching wrestling religiously because it was the day he retired after the match with Stone Cold.

I continued to watch casually after that as I enjoyed the beginnings of the Rock. He was an entertaining heel, and watching him gain popularity was fun to watch, but he got old after a while as a good guy with his broken record catch phrases and same old shtick.

Watched a bit more again to see what was going to happen with the WWF purchase of WCW, only to see them drop the ball more than I thought possible with an event like that. Hogan and the Rock feud was the last I enjoyed of wrestling. Being a fan of Hogan's "Hollywood" character throughout his time in WCW, and becoming sick to my stomach with the Rock's fan pandering character, their Wrestlemania match was one of my favorites of all time. Listening to the crowd turn on the Rock and cheer Hogan was just absolutely awesome. Some of the most invested I've felt in a match.

After that, wrestling was done. Yes, I know "HBK" returned. No, that was not the Shawn Michaels that I watched and loved. I truly feel Attitude era Shawn Michaels was the best a wrestler has ever had to offer the business.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I'm seeing a lot of Rock and Stone Cold here, understandably, but the one that truly defined that era and deserves the most credit was Shawn Michaels.

He was hands down the reason to watch Raw during that era, and I can still remember the day I quit watching wrestling religiously because it was the day he retired after the match with Stone Cold.

I continued to watch casually after that as I enjoyed the beginnings of the Rock. He was an entertaining heel, and watching him gain popularity was fun to watch, but he got old after a while as a good guy with his broken record catch phrases and same old shtick.

Watched a bit more again to see what was going to happen with the WWF purchase of WCW, only to see them drop the ball more than I thought possible with an event like that. Hogan and the Rock feud was the last I enjoyed of wrestling. Being a fan of Hogan's "Hollywood" character throughout his time in WCW, and becoming sick to my stomach with the Rock's fan pandering character, their Wrestlemania match was one of my favorites of all time. Listening to the crowd turn on the Rock and cheer Hogan was just absolutely awesome. Some of the most invested I've felt in a match.

After that, wrestling was done. Yes, I know "HBK" returned. No, that was not the Shawn Michaels that I watched and loved. I truly feel Attitude era Shawn Michaels was the best a wrestler has ever had to offer the business.
To be fair, a lot of people won't mention HBK, because the attitude era was really 97-01, and he wasn't an active wrestler for most of it.

Dan Yo

Banned
To be fair, a lot of people won't mention HBK, because the attitude era was really 97-01, and he wasn't an active wrestler for most of it.
I've always felt that golden era began about the time the NWO was introduced, and the "attitude" part of it came in with the Michaels/Hart feud and the start of Degeneration X.

For me, he pretty much was the man during the best few years of that period, with Hollywood Hogan and Stone Cold up there holding their respective areas as well. WCW went to shit around the time Michaels was finishing up. WWF didn't have any competition at that point. Stone Cold and the Rock carried the torch until it was over, and then things just got boring.

Dan Yo

Banned
If you want to learn even more about the Bret/HBK feud, I would recommend watching this documentary:

51NqQMeqJ-L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Jim Ross conducts a sit-down interview with Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels, and they talk about the events leading up to the Montreal Screwjob and the aftermath, among other things. This was just released a few months ago.

You can rent the documentary on iTunes, XBL, PSN, etc, and I think it's definitely worth watching, especially for those who enjoyed watching HBK and Bret in '96-'97.
I don't know how to properly thank you for recommending this DVD. Holy crap, everyone needs to see this.

My respect for Bret Hart shot up tremendously after seeing this. All around classy, genuine guy. No-brainer as one of my top two at this point.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
do you remember how pumped you were when the days of 2 hour RAW with "beautiful people" over the opening began? embarrassment of riches.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
"Beautiful People" was on SmackDown not Raw.

Also SmackDown was better live, pre-Fist/new logo.

no, i promise, because i stopped watching before the RAW / SMACKDOWN split. the show was called RAW IS WAR and was at least two hours long, and frequently ran over time.

Aesius

Seeing Goldberg beat Raven for the U.S. Title was one of the greatest moments of my 11 year old life. I was insanely happy, and I remember staying up all night (on a school night, no less!) watching the VHS tape I had recorded of the match over and over again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom