• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Shuffle |OT| Every Day I'm Shuffling

Orgen

Next week Mega Beedrill comes back with a new fast match competition. Last time I was busy so I couldn't get the mega stone, but at this point it's not really all that more useful than other tappers.

Not having the classic survival mode makes level 30 Pokémon pretty much impossible for most players.

I'm... kind of bummed out by the state of the game. It's not surprising Pak Adi Yak is quitting it.

They need to add something *more* to the game to revitalize it. Multiplayer would be it, but it's probably too much work for the devs.

Mannnn, Pak Adi Yak quitting nooooo!!! But why is he so sad? If he is unhappy covering Pokemon shuffle then quit it and cover other games (I think he also covered Monster Hunter games?).

Anyway, huge update and another huge time sink... Man, I'm on the verge of quitting too :| I'll try to keep going little by little but when I'm stuck because I didn't RML some Pokemon is the day I quit.

Mannnn, Pak Adi Yak quitting nooooo!!! But why is he so sad? If he is unhappy covering Pokemon shuffle then quit it and cover other games (I think he also covered Monster Hunter games?).

Anyway, huge update and another huge time sink... Man, I'm on the verge of quitting too :| I'll try to keep going little by little but when I'm stuck because I didn't RML some Pokemon is the day I quit.

I think the problem is that the game is so unwelcoming now. When it was released it had the stamina and it had the coin-items but the game was balanced in such a way that you could "complete" it for free, if you wanted.

Now there's so much content and there's much of it that's effectively locked behind a paywall. Survival mode is basically impossible by all accounts, escalation battles are literally impossible beyond a certain point itemless and competitions are impossible to be competitive in unless you've been playing since the game started and spending real money for almost as long - and all the items you'd need to be competitive are locked behind those escalation battles and competitions. I can't remember the last stage I was able to S-rank itemless, even with MSUs and RMLs.

There's honestly no point starting the game now because it's just not going to be fun, and so I can see why there's no point streaming it because you're not going to see any new subscribers, just the gradual decline of the ones you have as they drift away from the game.

Obviously there's a need for the developer to make money, but the higher the paywall gets, the less fun it is, because the balance feels way off now.

Meh, with grindy games like this you need to pace yourself and make note of what is actually needed and what is just excess vanity. Otherwise you will burn out. In practice, SSs, MSUs, PSBs and coins are all leagues more important to being "competitive" (which, in this game, is already a hollow phrase due to simple mechanics, looping rewards and RNG) than RMLs.

What made something like Survival Mode farmable? Strong abilities and fast-evolving megas, not roided Mewtwos.

I noticed they gave Duosion SS love instead of Reuniclus, what a joke.

I'll probably SS Victini's to LDE and take it to SL4. Doubt we get a farmable stage to avoid using cookies on it. Maybe Ninetails Burn+ too.

Lugia got Cross Attack+ which is temping to switch from Eject+ if it weren't for Weekend Meowth. Hopefully that's a ways off at having to decide.

Next week Mega Beedrill comes back with a new fast match competition. Last time I was busy so I couldn't get the mega stone, but at this point it's not really all that more useful than other tappers.
MBee seems like my default Mega with all these low turn count high HP Main Stages. I still prefer using it in Safari's, sucks it lost a huge role in Survival Mode farming

MBee seems like my default Mega with all these low turn count high HP Main Stages. I still prefer using it in Safari's, sucks it lost a huge role in Survival Mode farming
I usually use either Shiny Gyarados or Heracross, but I will totally use the Bee too when I get its stone, but without it working at all for SM, it kinda lost a lot of value in my eyes.

I seriously hope they at least fix SM sometime soon.

Orgen

Meh, with grindy games like this you need to pace yourself and make note of what is actually needed and what is just excess vanity. Otherwise you will burn out. In practice, SSs, MSUs, PSBs and coins are all leagues more important to being "competitive" (which, in this game, is already a hollow phrase due to simple mechanics, looping rewards and RNG) than RMLs.

What made something like Survival Mode farmable? Strong abilities and fast-evolving megas, not roided Mewtwos.

That's the thing, you will need to spend wisely all the ítems on the right pokemon or you will find blocks in the normal stages (I'm talking not being able to beat the stages itemless). That's when the game becomes more of a burden than an enjoyment because if you don't spend the right ítems on the right Pokemon then you need to spend money on jewels or farming Meowth to get coins and it becomes old fast.

You should be able to beat itemless the stages with a level max effective pokemon team (and then buy some items if you want to get the S-Rank) but that's not case. For example I spent 5 hearts trying to beat the Stage 602 despite having 3 dragon at level max (Zygarde with block smash, latios with the mega and Dragonite) and the Kyurem one with Eject++ at level 7 and I didn't beat it (I was pretty close in one attempt). Things like that are what's souring me on the game.

I think the problem is that the game is so unwelcoming now. When it was released it had the stamina and it had the coin-items but the game was balanced in such a way that you could "complete" it for free, if you wanted.

Now there's so much content and there's much of it that's effectively locked behind a paywall. Survival mode is basically impossible by all accounts, escalation battles are literally impossible beyond a certain point itemless and competitions are impossible to be competitive in unless you've been playing since the game started and spending real money for almost as long - and all the items you'd need to be competitive are locked behind those escalation battles and competitions. I can't remember the last stage I was able to S-rank itemless, even with MSUs and RMLs.

There's honestly no point starting the game now because it's just not going to be fun, and so I can see why there's no point streaming it because you're not going to see any new subscribers, just the gradual decline of the ones you have as they drift away from the game.

Obviously there's a need for the developer to make money, but the higher the paywall gets, the less fun it is, because the balance feels way off now.

Yep, thanks for explaining the issue better than I could :) I understand the "No new subscribers" issue if he keeps streaming it but as he said his Shuffle videos were the most viewed in his channel... so now he's going to lose views and subscribers. Sad situation all around but if he's unhappy doing them then he should find other things that make him happy.

So, GS is making another game, and they only have 9 programmers, so I doubt my dream of a VS mode is ever going to happen.

With that said, how do you think the game could be saved?

One way I guess would be to fix SM, make it more accesible.

Another would be to change RML into "Rare Candy" and have it level up your Pokémon automatically. Grinding Mewtwo from level 20 to 30 for 15 AP for 30 days in Ampharos is not exactly the definition of "fun".

Adding the ability to Skill Swap back to an old ability without spending a Skill Swap would help, also.

Adding a new mode would also help, something simple like a league or something. They could take notes from what other Freemium games, like Clash Royale are doing.

Next update is supposed to be an anniversary update, so I hope they fix something.

Best change would be to make all the items available to buy for coins. Dunno what you'd charge, but it'd mean that new players would have a more realistic way of obtaining the quantities of items that old players have earned.

Also have more ways to earn coins. Not necessarily ways to earn more coins, but another Meowth-style main stage with coins just to add a bit of variety would be welcome.

Also have some stages with more variety in item restrictions rather than just different HP/disruptions. Every contest now has Mega Start available, and every stage has it too, so ultimately what's the point of MSUs? 2,000 coins is almost nothing. Having some stages this late in the game with MS unavailable would make team selection more interesting and could make some pointless Megas worthwhile.

Also no stage should be allowed to be uploaded to the game unless one of the developers can beat it itemless. An S-rank may require 'em, but at the moment there are stages that just aren't winnable at all. Nice for money-making, sure, but bad for playability.

The best source of those items is competitions and escalation battles, but it seems that a new player (or even experienced players who don't play 24/7) would find it impossible to earn them in the kind of quantity needed to make a difference, is all.

If you haven't been playing a lot since the very start, you're at a massive disadvantage across almost every mode in the game.

Cosmozone

After I've seen on Reddit that the current Safari has it's new Pokemon at >10% appearance rate, I've decided to grind Happy Pikachu instead. I couldn't even get it to SL3, argh. Even with the good drop rate. What a grindfest.

Thought about quitting, but then I found Charizard Pikachu in my third heart and caught it in one Poke Ball.

It's like going to break up with your girlfriend only to find her in bed wearing lingerie.

You should be able to beat itemless the stages with a level max effective pokemon team (and then buy some items if you want to get the S-Rank) but that's not case. For example I spent 5 hearts trying to beat the Stage 602 despite having 3 dragon at level max (Zygarde with block smash, latios with the mega and Dragonite) and the Kyurem one with Eject++ at level 7 and I didn't beat it (I was pretty close in one attempt). Things like that are what's souring me on the game.
I think Bagon is an example of bringing an old team to a new fight. 8 turns high HP you need a fast Mega and some heavy hitters for that stage. Mega Ray was too slow for me, I think I took MBee but a Unity Power Goodra made that stage beatable itemless with ease.

The stage I had trouble with was I believe 604 Kricketune the stage with 3 or four columns of blocks in the skyfall on the left side. Mega Shiny Ray was too slow without a MB+ user which is ridiculous. I ended up using a +5 on that stage. Now I'm on Snover and I just went back to coin farming on stage 37.

Orgen

I think Bagon is an example of bringing an old team to a new fight. 8 turns high HP you need a fast Mega and some heavy hitters for that stage. Mega Ray was too slow for me, I think I took MBee but a Unity Power Goodra made that stage beatable itemless with ease.

The stage I had trouble with was I believe 604 Kricketune the stage with 3 or four columns of blocks in the skyfall on the left side. Mega Shiny Ray was too slow without a MB+ user which is ridiculous. I ended up using a +5 on that stage. Now I'm on Snover and I just went back to coin farming on stage 37.

That's the thing, I didn't even know about the new skill for Goodra and MBee needs 12 MSU to evolve fast. When I saw that I wasted 10 RML on Groudon and Kyogre I promised not to look who do I need to give these items, who do I need to RML... etc. at Reddit anymore. It seems it's unavoidable if I want to have several compensated teams.

Which team did you use on 603? (the ice one). That's another one that I'm not even close to beat itemless (despite having several effective Pokemon at Level Max.)

I have a Sped up Mega Dancie, there's so many barriers on that stage I would probably just spend the coins to Mega start Houndoom and get the S rank, that stage is a pain. A sped up Aggron/Jirachi combo might be able to pull off a win with some sort of disruption delayer like Entei's Mind Zap

I think I was saved by a couple of LDE by my SL4 Heatran

EDIT: Reddit's RML/SS guide is pretty good source to get an idea who's worth investing now. The game just doesn't provide you with enough info to make decisions about who and what to spend on.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Content update:

- New safari (Pipipek, Trumbeak, Deerling (Summer Form), Sawsbuck (Summer Form), & Drampa)
- Ultra Challenge of Tapu Lele
- Mega Beedril competitive stage

Machine

Fuck Tapu Lele. I did a full item run, got a decent catch rate, and it ended up shaking four great balls and running away. That's a ton of coins down the drain.

I stopped playing this game a week ago. Didn't try catching the last Tapu, which marks the first special event Pokemon I've missed since launch.

Sure it was fun at times but it was becoming a chore for me and when that happens, there's little reason to continue.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Looks like today's check in gets you 2 jewels, 30 hearts, & Shiny Mewtwo.

Shiny Mewtwo has Mega Boost, with Shiny Mewtwo X erasing all SMMX in the area (so a Psychic Mega Gengar) & Shiny Mewtwo Y will erase all Pokemon in a Y shape.

New content includes Shiny Diancie Escalation Battle & Toucannon Great Challenge.

Edit: LOL WHAT, I CAUGHT SHINY DIANCIE AT 1%. Anyways, its ability is Block Shot & erases 10 rocks & blocks while doing damage in Mega form.

This new Mewtwo is ridiculous. It evolves quicker than Gengar does and on top of that can mega-boost itself. Definitely the new go-to Pokémon for the mega slot in safaris now.

Orgen

Any advice for Tapu Lele? Team and ítems mostly, I don't want to spend 20.000 coins and not getting it... :|

Also, what's the best way to spend the jewels? Still the 3 more tries on Meowth?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Absolutely, save your jewels for Meowth since you'll usually earn more than spending them on coins from the shop.

Any advice for Tapu Lele? Team and ítems mostly, I don't want to spend 20.000 coins and not getting it... :|

Also, what's the best way to spend the jewels? Still the 3 more tries on Meowth?

I tried to cheap out on that stage figured I'd be tossing multiple great balls regardless of how bad I beat it so I skipped the the C-1. That was a waste of coins, lost by a sliver. Go all in with a Mega like Absol who can destroy all the rocks, blocks and 5th supports but still decent at combos or if you're good with tappers you could use one of them if you think you can make up the power difference. Whatever your strongest invested SE trio you can field Hoopla-U, Zoroark, Dusknoir, ect. There isn't a SE ability that's more valuable here once you spend the coins.

Honestly, be prepared to do everything right toss 3 Great Balls and still not catch it. The typing and ability may not be worth it for the steep price.

Ondore

New stuff:

- Mega Mewtwo X comp, Noivern and Mew disrupted, items M+5 / DD / MS / AP+
- PSB grinding: Noivern (coins), Shaymin (Sky), Mewtwo
- Special Dailies (winking Hoenn starters/Castform, Sleepychu on Monday)
- Great Dailies; Electivire and Golem are the bread on a capped Pikachu sandwich
- Start of Month challenge Friday
- Nihilego arrives Thursday. 20,000 (!!!!) coin entry fee, no items allowed, three plays and then it's gone. Stage is 15 moves, just under 10,000 HP, Espeon as 5th support, barriers and Nihilego disruptions. If you can beat it, the base catch rate is 70% (+2% per move).

They might as well have made it a jewel entry fee after the gift they handed out, would have been cheaper for some.

With a 70% catch rate it's just a little more than the equivalent a full item run and a great ball on 3DS. Hopefully it will stay in a pokeball.

But if it doesn't stack with Poison it will be practically worthless even invested. Do we have the Activation numbers at each stage for Possession?

Nihilego wasn't too difficult. I took M-Camerupt SL2/ Groudon Barrier Shot SL2/ Victini LDE SL4/ Lando-T SL5

3 moves left, didn't even use my Mega it evolved on the last turn. Lots of barriers Barrier Shot was MVP didn't use LDE but a needed safety net. Pretty much just Barrier Shot after Risk Taker very few combos. Espeon is forced 5th support so don't bring it.

Also gives you a Level Up as a reward.

EDIT: And Possession doesn't activate under Poison so it makes it practically worthless. Funny the description is like Chill or Whirlpool but it's just Mindzap.

Orgen

2 tries on nihilego and 40000 coins into the drain... I had shit luck with my physic team twice and I don't have more coins to do the last try. Mannnnnnn what a sh**fu** Pokemon. Probably will also miss the last try if I collect the 20000 coins.... :_(

Had a hard time with it as well. Used a jewel to beat a stage for the first time ever because quitting and spending another 20k would have been a pain - even then I only had one turn left. I guess the key is a guy who can smash barriers and a couple who can halt disruptions, or vice-versa.

You only have to beat the stage for a guaranteed catch though, as long as you have 2500 coins extra, so even doing it with +5 turns was fine.

Don't ever want to see this shit again though, unless the Pokémon is actually good.

2 tries on nihilego and 40000 coins into the drain... I had shit luck with my physic team twice and I don't have more coins to do the last try. Mannnnnnn what a sh**fu** Pokemon. Probably will also miss the last try if I collect the 20000 coins.... :_(

Did you take M-Mewtwo Y? I was worried I'd get its icon stuck in a barrier on the top row and block a column for several turns.

Cosmozone

Shiny Diancie EB was (relatively) good to me. Could beat stage 200 without C-1. Finally a decent amount of RMLs in an event. Only dumb thing was having to spend a lot of +5 moves to reach 200.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Only 2 new Pokemon:

- Type: Null great challenge
- Tapu Bulu ultra challenge

otherwise, a bunch of repeat stuff like the safari with Blossom & Alakazam, Decidueye escalation battle, Machamp, etc.

They actually made a universal combo ability, I'm surprised. It's no Glitchlax Brute Force obviously but should see some use at least on Types like Electric that didn't get a specific combo ability or maybe multiple type line ups with M Ray or M Bee.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Check in today to get a free Shiny Ho-Oh, which has Cross Attack+.

A new safari with 4 damn Unown (which spell out NICE), and that's really it for new content.

There's also some Shape (+,L,T) Glitch to take advantage of if you want to finish the Celebi EB itemless. Took a while to get the hang of but I finally beat 150 also caught some Expert Stage mon pretty easy with this glitch as well.

EDIT: Done! 150, 175, 200 finished itemless

Cosmozone

There's also some Shape (+,L,T) Glitch to take advantage of if you want to finish the Celebi EB itemless. Took a while to get the hang of but I finally beat 150 also caught some Expert Stage mon pretty easy with this glitch as well.

EDIT: Done! 150, 175, 200 finished itemless
... Too hard for me. :( I'm at 125 now, and can shave off about 10% itemless trying the exploit. It's either not enough icons to form a shape or a series of 2-4 every other move.

... Too hard for me. :( I'm at 125 now, and can shave off about 10% itemless trying the exploit. It's either not enough icons to form a shape or a series of 2-4 every other move.
I spent a day trying to trigger LDE with the glitch and found using Unity Power was a lot easier. I don't remember what 125 is like but 150 was harder than 175 or 200. You only have the top left corner to work with the disruptions dividing the board at an angle.

But yeah was patched on 3DS earlier today so don't update til you're done exploiting it.

Cosmozone

I spent a day trying to trigger LDE with the glitch and found using Unity Power was a lot easier. I don't remember what 125 is like but 150 was harder than 175 or 200.
Main problem with 125 is its only 30s. There's a barrier row in the middle and 4 columns of Celebis in the lower part. You can clear the stuff on startup if you're fast enough. I'm not, but I can clear at least half of them, which is enough to get started. My record is now at 50%, but that's very rare. Of course the one time when I tried ATK+, things went not so well. Will try again this evening after collecting some coins for time extension.

I read about the patch on Reddit just in time, so I'm safe for now. Thanks for the heads up anyway.

Top Bottom