• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your opinion is reasonable, but I have to disagree with the bolded.

The operation scene adds to the story because it develops a bond/friendship/trust between Sam and Jorah.

And while the scene is disgusting, it's effective at showing just how horrible the disease/infection really is.

Not only that, but It shows the pain Jorah will go through for his queen.

It shows the commitment Sam has to the Night Watch, specifically respect for Commander Mormont and his duty to help a family member of his.

And I'm also thinking this will somehow tie into Sam's findings on how to defeat the White Walkers. But yeah, far from a wasted scene, even if it's just developing the relationship between Sam and Jorah.

Arkanius

I always wondered why the fuck couldn't Greyscale be cured or at least, delayed with that kind of surgery.
Clearly the showrunners thought the same lol.

Loved the scene, my girlfriend is a doctor and she also loved it.

Lynd7

It wasn't that disgusting to me, more the thinking of the pain Jorah was going through. Looks like really bad scabs lol.

I was eating then too, and during Sam's call of doody montage last episode. Didn't bother me too much, really.

I was eating mini-Burritos and dipping them in Ranch during the Jorah scene. For maybe a second I was like "ehhhhh" and then I got over it because I was hungry.

Gintamen

Having characters from all over Westerns suddenly appear in Deanery's throne room with no sense of explanation.
Did you follow the last season and last episode? Highgarden and Dorne are right by Storms End and connections have been made already.

I know that people love this show because it doesn't pull any stops when it comes to sex, violence and gore, but the operation scene was just plain disgusting and didn't add anything to the story, it was unnecessarily graphical for no reason whatsoever other than to add shock value and to justify being on HBO. Just my opinion, don't kill me please.

Eh, was pretty tame compared to some medical dramas or documentaries.

Finding Euron to be a really shit character. The facial hair, the leather, the pantomime villain levels of evil and the crazy faces, and he manages to best EVERYONE in combat? Really?

Yeah, I don't like him either. He needs more development, because at the minute he just seems like a vaudevillian pantomime character.

Has it plagued mankind, though? I never got the feeling that it's something it's common, and one of the only guys to really study it, ended up getting it and then dying from it. No one else seems to be interested in getting too involved with it.

This was my take as well. It's relatively rare and very contagious, so not too much effort has been put into curing the infected.

Having characters from all over Westerns suddenly appear in Deanery's throne room with no sense of explanation, the ship scene at the end - aside from the beginning and end scenes of the ship entering and leaving, which were great - didn't do anything for me and felt too long.

Yeah, everyone being in Dany's throne room all of a sudden was odd. Given how long Arya and The Hound spent travelling North and then to the Vale, or how long it took Brienne and Jaime to travel to King's Landing it seems like characters now have access to teleportation.

Watching some YT reactions, a lot of people think Theon is a coward for not helping Yara. I think they need to be reminded of what he's gone through that that he would have been killed if he tried to help her,

This doesn't make any sense. If it take months/years to kill an infected person, during which time they can spread the disease by touch alone, then the whole world should have caught it by now.

the place where tyrion/jorah ran into them was a secluded island like place? That's probably where they dump them. I assume greyscales don't swim or have the capacity to swim, and jorah/tyrion took that area as a shortcut iirc, thus how jorah got infected.

Khaz

I always wondered why the fuck couldn't Greyscale be cured or at least, delayed with that kind of surgery.
Clearly the showrunners thought the same lol.

Loved the scene, my girlfriend is a doctor and she also loved it.

I'm assuming such a procedure would be dangerous, with the patient getting in cardiac arrest due to their fragile condition, stress and extreme pain. Even early cases would be difficult to treat that way, potentially multiplying the sources of infection on the patient and allowing an even faster spreading. This along with the procedure being very likely for the practitioner to become infected. Exiling the patients was the best they could do. Sam is risking both their lives by doing it.

Modern medicine would deal with it with a hefty dose of antibiotics, the scales wouldn't be removed (or removed later, after the cause of the infection has been treated). Removing the skin would expose the underlying tissues to potential infections, would take a while to grow back, would be super painful while exposed, and give mostly scar tissue. But more importantly the disease would likely not be cured and the infection could spread again.

Only people with plot armour would risk it.

Morphis

So, Ellaria will be Euron's gift to Cersei? Will she give her to the Mountain-zombie as well? That would be some twist of fate for Oberyn's lover...

Khaz

This doesn't make any sense. If it take months/years to kill an infected person, during which time they can spread the disease by touch alone, then the whole world should have caught it by now.

It's the fantastic equivalent of leprosy.

Here's an article that delves more into it. While it does contain book resources, none are spoilery: the descriptions of the disease are just more thorough.
http://scienceblogs.com/aetiology/2016/06/23/the-epidemiology-of-greyscale/

Yeah, everyone being in Dany's throne room all of a sudden was odd. Given how long Arya and The Hound spent travelling North and then to the Vale, or how long it took Brienne and Jaime to travel to King's Landing it seems like characters now have access to teleportation.

Even better is to think that everyone managed to appear on Dany's throne room, but Bran can't get from the Wall to Winterfell before Jon leaves to meet Dany, and therefore not being able to tell him they're related (assuming he did figure that out by himself).

Moonkid

Sam's storyline continues to be filmed the most interestingly - it's just refreshing when characters are doing shit and not just standing in one spot and talking. The graphic match was great, classy cutaway before it became actually gruesome.

I also thought the battle, however unsatisfying, wasn't too shabby. Theon's abandon ship moment probably could have used more shots so as to avoid unintentional humour but the buildup to it was as clear as it gets.

Overall I regret watching the show episode by episode, should have waited out these first three with how things are moving at a tepid pace.

Sam's storyline continues to be filmed the most interestingly - it's just refreshing when characters are doing shit and not just standing in one spot and talking. The graphic match was great, classy cutaway before it became actually gruesome.

I also thought the battle, however unsatisfying, wasn't too shabby. Theon's abandon ship moment probably could have used more shots so as to avoid unintentional humour but the buildup to it was as clear as it gets.

Overall I regret watching the show episode by episode, should have waited out these first three with how things are moving at a tepid pace.

Loved the raining ember, reminded me a lot of the Witcher 3.

Moonkid

Loved the raining ember, reminded me a lot of the Witcher 3.
I really liked the ember too, I thought it was a perfect visual embellishment and combined with Allen's performance it was a really great shot. I'm mostly watching the show for the spectacle and visuals so this episode satisfied me in that regard. Even the sex scene had some really well-lit, as in technically well lit not bright, close ups when they're standing by the fire.

Watching some YT reactions, a lot of people think Theon is a coward for not helping Yara. I think they need to be reminded of what he's gone through that that he would have been killed if he tried to help her,

Only if you consider running away from certain death and insurmountable odds to be cowardly. Especially given that, no matter how tough and stable he tries to appear around his sister, he's been psychologically broken and tortured for an indeterminate amount of time. He's not cowardly, I just hope he's able to get revenge on his fucking uncle.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I just wonder why Euron hasn't killed Yara right on the spot. I mean, didn't he want to kill them both? Cersei doesn't give a shit about her, unlike Ellaria.

Vashetti

Banned
I just wonder why Euron hasn't killed Yara right on the spot. I mean, didn't he want to kill them both? Cersei doesn't give a shit about her, unlike Ellaria.

I would give a shit about the person who sought out Daenerys Targaryen and gave her means to crossover.

Speevy

Banned

murder.gif

UrbanRats

So, Ellaria will be Euron's gift to Cersei? Will she give her to the Mountain-zombie as well? That would be some twist of fate for Oberyn's lover...

Hadn't thought of that.
Damn that'd be extra vicious, right in Cersei's wheel house.
They also got one of their daughters (the popular one) alive, too, no?

Visceir

Would have been cool if Jorah had gotten actual stone-like armor on his arm/chest, but it looks like this stuff can be cut quite easily and offers little protection.

Vashetti

Banned
Yeah something seems a bit off this season so far. At points it does seem more like bullet point actions, indeed.

Ultimately that's what D&D have to work with.

They visited George (between what I believe was Seasons 3 and 4) and mapped out all the major plot points left beyond the books.

Speevy

Banned
Yeah something seems a bit off this season so far. At points it does seem more like bullet point actions, indeed.

You're catching on. That's why geography, motivation, political alliance, the feudal system, and time lines have completely gone by the wayside.

What you should expect going forward is

-Alliance forms.
-This army dies.
-This army dies in retaliation.
-This army gets surprise attacked.
-This character gets revenge killed.

Repeat until whitewalker apocalypse

Yeah, it doesn't make a lot of sense as Cersei won't give a shit about her. At first I thought it was to make her fleet surrender, but it looks like Euron won that battle pretty decisively anyway.

Hadn't thought of that.
Damn that'd be extra vicious, right in Cersei's wheel house.
They also got one of their daughters (the popular one) alive, too, no?
Kill her daughter in front of her and have Mountain basically rape the mom.. Ughhh..

Yara likely to be torched by her fave uncle as well....

He's just looking for attention. If he wanted to know what people thought of the two most recent episodes he could look here.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0944947/epdate
Brutal. That B2B 9.9/10 from the last two episodes of season 6 though, damn!

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I would give a shit about the person who sought out Daenerys Targaryen and gave her means to crossover.

Maybe, but what would she do that Euron couldn't have done on that boat? I mean, she doesn't have a particular hate/interest about the character, unlike Ellaria, Tyrion or even Jon & Daenerys.

Vashetti

Banned
Maybe, but what would she do that Euron couldn't have done on that boat? I mean, she doesn't have a particular hate/interest about the character, unlike Ellaria, Tyrion or even Jon & Daenerys.

Yara's just a bonus gift essentially.

He can't give her Balon, for rebelling, so gives her the next best thing.

Herne

I have a feeling that
Arya is going to run into Beric, Thoros and the Hound again. They're all in the Riverlands after all.

Symphonia

Banned
Can't wait to not see Sansa undermine every one of Jon's ideas.
She’s really beginning to piss me off with that. Yes, by name and by blood, she’s a Stark and has more rights to lead than Jon. But Jon was Lord Commander of the Nights Watch and he fought against the white walkers. She should just shut up and let him do his damn job.

Skux

I've never been excited to see another man's penis until last night's episode.

Is Grey Worm... fully equipped? They said the Unsullied are castrated but there was a line or two in earlier seasons which threw the idea into doubt. And now after last night I don't know what to believe.

I've never been excited to see another man's penis until last night's episode.

Is Grey Worm... fully equipped? They said the Unsullied are castrated but there was a line or two in earlier seasons which threw the idea into doubt. And now after last night I don't know what to believe.

no pillar and stones...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom