• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 07•21-23•17 - Slam Dunk' for Nolan, Apes escape, not rough Girl's Trip, Luc

If TLJ cant hit a billion worldwide I will have a meltdown to end all meltdowns. I mean i'm worried about it dropping but more like to 1.5 billion lmao!! TFA did $2 billion after all.

Domestic wise I think the first $billion dollar film will either be Episode X (yes ep 10), Lion King, Jurassic Universe or Avatar 2 (never underestimate cameron)

suaveric

I can see how Dunkirk could have been made for 100m. It doesn't really have that many sets. A few ship interiors, a couple boats and everything else is the beach or the air, which no one had to build. I don't think it had a lot of CG either.

I can see how Dunkirk could have been made for 100m. It doesn't really have that many sets. A few ship interiors, a couple boats and everything else is the beach or the air, which no one had to build. I don't think it had a lot of CG either.

It helped that there were no box office stars that had to be paid 15 to 20 million dollars.

kswiston

Aladdin had an extremely popular TV show unlike Beauty and the Beast. I am sure it is more popular worldwide compared to Beast but not sure on its domestic success.

That show was over 20 years ago.

The Lion King and Beauty and the Beast both received IMAX and 3D re-releases in the 2000s. Aladdin got squat.

Belle is always a central character in Disney's princess line while Jasmine is on the periphery (though there might be some casual racism involved with that).

Aladdin had an extremely popular TV show unlike Beauty and the Beast. I am sure it is more popular worldwide compared to Beast but not sure on its domestic success.

I think people consistently under-estimate the breadth of Beauty and the Beast's appeal. Its a story that has been popular for nearly 80 years now. A new version is something that everyone from grandparents on down was interested in.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I think people consistently under-estimate the breadth of Beauty and the Beast's appeal. Its a story that has been popular for nearly 80 years now. A new version is something that everyone from grandparents on down was interested in.

Seriously, there's no way you can convince me Lion King is going to double up BatB at the box office. I think it's more popular but not even close to that much more popular.

Bronx-Man

Banned
The only superhero films hitting $1B worldwide in the near future are Infinity War and maybe Justice League if the stars align in WB's favor.

That show was over 20 years ago.

The Lion King and Beauty and the Beast both received IMAX and 3D re-releases in the 2000s. Aladdin got squat.

Belle is always a central character in Disney's princess line while Jasmine is on the periphery (though there might be some casual racism involved with that).
I'd say the blame lies more on Disney. They could have tried to release it but 3D ended up fading faster than most could realize and then old movies slowly started to stop getting 3D re-releases.

Disney hasn't even bothered to release Aladdin TV show on DVD or Blu-ray.

It is not like Aladdin is any less popular. It is from a popular classic tale as well. Not to mention Genie is a cultural icon at this point.

A question for those with experience in these matters: What are the chances of Spider-Man passing Wonder Woman worldwide?
As Kswiss said, at this point, all depends on how the movie fares in China and Japan. Depending on its success or failure in China, it can either end up above it, or below it.

DMczaf

Did he forget who Dunkirk had?

The teen idol of a generation

d0ff0bf7873d7aef2e2968c12f502635--christopher-nolan-film-director.jpg

For me the interesting battle is gonna be Alladin Vs Mulan

Wonder which film will do better. I feel like Mulan is gonna be a big surprise. A female lead, huge gross in China, a story that has aged better potentially

Wonder which film will do better. I feel like Mulan is gonna be a big surprise. A female lead, huge gross in China, a story that has aged better potentially

I think Aladdin beats out Mulan. Aladdin had the better soundtrack and is currently a hit musical on Broadway and has Will Smith in the film. Mulan won't have that luxury and there's a good chance it won't be a musical at all.

Anth0ny

The only superhero films hitting $1B worldwide in the near future are Infinity War and maybe Justice League if the stars align in WB's favor.

Justice League hits $1b if it has word of mouth like Wonder Woman, which I pray for every night but can't picture it actually happening.

Infinity War is guaranteed. Surpassing Avengers 1 is the more interesting story there, and since the Guardians are showing up, I can see it happening.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that

Im betting on Aladdin. More memorable songs, characters, and you can play up the romance angle to make it an attractive date movie.

Plus, there is the Sony Mulan which is specifically aiming for that Chinese/International audience. If that comes out at the same time, I think it wins with that audience.

Lion King beats them both. Book it.

hearing the audio from the potato-cam Infinity War tease last night - the pops for seeing any of the Avengers next to the Guardians was ridiculous.

kswiston

hearing the audio from the potato-cam Infinity War tease last night - the pops for seeing any of the Avengers next to the Guardians was ridiculous.

I am expecting Infinity War to end up well above Civil War worldwide. We'll see how things look stateside over the next 6 months.

Guardians + Avengers is going to be fresher than the last two tentpole MCU entries though.

BobLoblaw

Banned
Valerian cost $209 million? Damn. They picked the wrong fucking weekend to release this movie. You'd think they'd know better.

Im betting on Aladdin. More memorable songs, characters, and you can play up the romance angle to make it an attractive date movie.

Plus, there is the Sony Mulan which is specifically aiming for that Chinese/International audience. If that comes out at the same time, I think it wins with that audience.

Lion King beats them both. Book it.

Agreed, although it's hard for me to speculate about Disney's Mulan without any casting yet and seeing the tone they plan on going with it.

It's rather sad that people have to wonder if JL going to hit a billion even with the poorer exchange rates .
Shows how bad WB fuck up but i hope they turn things around .

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Justice League hits $1b if it has word of mouth like Wonder Woman, which I pray for every night but can't picture it actually happening.

Infinity War is guaranteed. Surpassing Avengers 1 is the more interesting story there, and since the Guardians are showing up, I can see it happening.

IW surpassing Avengers is about as likely as Lion King hitting $1B domestic.

Arex

Valerian :(
I liked it, although it kinda falls towards the end lol. Hopefully there will still be more scifi films coming.

Dunkirk was pretty good.

Apes :(
Loved it, I hope it makes enough money.

Top Bottom