• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park raised a generation of trolls (The AV Club)

Siegcram

I'd like to think that's the case, but it's hard to support.

In any online discussion on social issues (especially on GAF), there is a very vocal faction of the Left (minority or not) that tend to righteously shout down and snark rather than engage in actual criticism. I'd probably label that group 'authoritarian', if I were feeling particularly unkind.
Given that group has not actual power outside (or inside) an internet forum, that would be a colossal mislabeling of "authoritarian".

Which is sorta ironic.

Mutant

South Park was a product of the times. You could say NWO/DX raised trolls. Tom Green raised trolls. Jackass raised trolls. Punk'd raised trolls. The Lion King 2: Return of Jafar raised trolls. Grunge raised trolls. Or maybe these things were symptoms rather than root causes--emergent anecdocts borne out of some greater societal zeitgeist.

Society's collective conscious was headed towards a vapidly nihilistic state which put pressure on people to simply not care what others think or feel. One of the most popular phrases of the last few decades is "don't give a fuck". Not giving a fuck is seen as an ideal state. You care so little that when expressing how little you care you'll mindlessly throw in an societally taboo word that makes no real sense in that phrase, just in case it pisses somebody off. When you build a society and culture where sociopathic people prosper so effortlessly, the rest of the populace picks up on this fact, even if unconsciously.

Southpark didn't cause this. The internet just gave powerless peons more agency. The ability to, in aggregate, become the idyllic avatar of a sociopathic cultural. This is a christian-hypocritical, capitalist, consumerist, patriarchal society eating itself alive after growing large enough for its mouth to find its tail.
This is a S+ Great post.

They had an episode in season 19 lambasting Trump (Canada being a desolate wasteland after being governed by Trump expy) and then spent the entire season 20 showing how bloody awful Trump is. Opinions like the one in the post above had been repeated by dozens of people ever since Matt and Trey's statement and I cannot see how they can be made by anyone who watched the last two seaons.

You know the reason.

29c.jpg

Not

Banned
the article is trying to propose that an entire generation of people growing up watching south park became less empathetic to their surroundings...

on the other end though, what i observed is also an entire generation of people only allowing 'positiveness' to be shown and any forms of 'self-parody' will considered 'insensitive'.

I am a big fan of George Carlin and i knew alot of Gaffers am as well. And I am sure George mocked fat people that same way South Park did too. So what's your stance of George Carlin, gaf?

George Carlin had more self-awareness in the carbon cells of one of his pubes than the entirety of the alt-right combined.

I guarantee "Jew" being used as a general insult and anti-Semitic humor in general would not be as prevalent and generally accepted without South Park. Kids love Cartman and kids take away all the wrong lessons from these adult comedy cartoons.

DarkKyo

I guarantee "Jew" being used as a general insult and anti-Semitic humor in general would not be as prevalent and generally accepted without South Park. Kids love Cartman and kids take away all the wrong lessons from these adult comedy cartoons.

Eh, it's one of those things. You're either raised correctly or incorrectly and your habits based on what you're exposed to can vary greatly based on what kind of childhood you had. Not to keep using myself as an example but I've been watching SP since I was about 10 and I have not once in my life used "Jew" as an insult. Did your parents teach you to consider the feelings of others? Did they help you to understand context? The same can be said about most of adult media that kids are watching/experiencing.

and yet south park clearly said to the viewer of the show to vote for hillary in the last season, mocking trump in every fucking episodes, and mocking internet trolls too... Watch the show or research more about what you're talking about

but no, south park must be alt-right because some stupid young people can't saw nuance and quote the show.... creators should not be responsible for dumb people liking their show! Maybe it helped, sure, but it could have been anything, they'll always quote something if that's fit their agenda, even if they don't understand it

It must be alt-right because they dared to make fun of left extremists too (which kind of legitimates some of the jokes about them, ironically). But please ignore that whatever alt-right is has basically been the show's villain for 20 years. Also, notice how despite them shitting on "hippies" they never had any mean jokes about Obama? While Bush was portrayed as a complete idiot whose government was literally supported by Satan and Trump has now been constantly shit on for being a incompetent, inhuman, stupid fuck begging Clinton to win. Oh wait, I mean - they never made fun of Trump!?! (where does that narrative come from anyway, lol)

Mechazawa

and yet south park clearly said to the viewer of the show to vote for hillary in the last season, mocking trump in every fucking episodes, and mocking internet trolls too... Watch the show or research more about what you're talking about

but no, south park must be alt-right because some stupid young people can't saw nuance and quote the show.... creators should not be responsible for dumb people liking their show! Maybe it helped, sure, but it could have been anything, they'll always quote something if that's fit their agenda, even if they don't understand it

Maybe take your own fucking advice and actually read the article.

Audioboxer

South Park really gets some hyperbole these days. I've almost watched every season, starting from being young and catching it on late night TV. Every season has arse blasted multiple things, from religion, to politics, to social beliefs, to music, to games, to culture, to good old toilet humour that has no reason to exist other than shock.

It's funny each time watching complete silence from some camps when they're not in the spotlight whilst it's the religious camp saying South Park is the 2nd coming of Satan, then they're quiet and it's someone politically getting wound up, then they're quiet and it's someone who's a music/sports/games fan who's in the spotlight getting wound up. That is South Park. It's often a litmus test for can the subject of the jokes handle it and move on accepting it's a cartoon TV show, not a University course. This doesn't mean you cannot critique TV shows/humour, but try and do so in a grounded way, not reaching for the sun.

Ultimately, if you do not like seeing yourself or your beliefs as the source of a joke, you stop watching South Park and have nothing to do with it. Writing articles that are border-lining on insane hyperbole whilst thinking this is a neat and easy way to blame all the ills of the world on a TV show is, in my opinion, a carelessly researched stance. It is, however, okay to laugh at times, even around serious things. No one sits down to watch South Park to honestly expect an education, just as you do not attend a stand-up show to get an education. It'll never be easy to prove this, but I think it's a safe bet countless people who act online like they're above all forms of humour and only deal in sanitised states of purity, often, at home, behind closed doors and in private kick back and laugh at some jokes. I refuse to believe anyone can truly go through life without ever laughing or finding it funny to hear some of the on the line jokes. What happens with many online is they feel pressure and an ever increasing need, never, absolutely never, to show that they're human and can both be progressive and have a laugh/bit of fun around serious topics. If you do not act super serious and morally on point 24/7 you're instantly denigrated to someone who is problematic. Such a stressful and ever increasingly unrealistic way to live your life. This has nothing to do with anyone being truly repugnant online before anyone jumps on that statement, but as I said earlier a normal everyday person being able to understand true humour from serious dialogue and being able to laugh every now and then. Even if it's at their own expense.

PC Principal and the Donald Trump election things being what the AVClub almost seem to be solely focussing on. With the usual throwing in of "alt-right" to try and get it to stick around South Park/Matt and Trey. About 50% of the article I'd say. This was 2 seasons. People weren't raised on 2 seasons. There are 18 seasons before these 2. If we ever reach season 30 people will still be hung up on these 2 seasons... And trying desperately to link the_donald if it hasn't been deleted to South Park. Let's not put some onus on the parents, extended family, friends and any failings of education systems for some of the behaviour of youth turning into adults, but as usual, video games, TV Shows, rap artists and so on.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Eh, it's one of those things. You're either raised correctly or incorrectly and your habits based on what you're exposed to can vary greatly based on what kind of childhood you had. Not to keep using myself as an example but I've been watching SP since I was about 10 and I have not once in my life used "Jew" as an insult.
#notallsouthparkfans

Eh, it's one of those things. You're either raised correctly or incorrectly and your habits based on what you're exposed to can vary greatly based on what kind of childhood you had. Not to keep using myself as an example but I've been watching SP since I was about 10 and I have not once in my life used "Jew" as an insult. Did your parents teach you to consider the feelings of others? Did they help you to understand context? The same can be said about most of adult media that kids are watching/experiencing.

Yes. Anyone who can't get the basic gist that Cartman is bad can't be helped regardless of what shows they watch. I watched South Park early and knew that Stan/Kyle were mostly what their stance was (i.e. Cartman might be funny, but fuck anything he says really).

DarkKyo

Wait what? Hold on, is this true?

It's not true. A lot of people think it's true, but it's not. At least there's no evidence to suggest it. People who use the Manbearpig episode as evidence for this didn't get the (albeit dumb)joke in that episode. Others might use "Two Days Before the Day After Tomorrow" as evidence but that doesn't point to this conclusion about Stone and Parker either.

Maybe take your own fucking advice and actually read the article.

i read the article, i was more talking about people in this thread criticizing the show without even watching it! I wasn't clear enough about that and that's on me, should have quoted someone instead

I also grew up loving South Park. And I turned out fine. But I'm not gonna use myself as a barometer for the rest of the world and all the kids that shout Jew as an insult on Xbox live. Nor is South Park the sole reason and inventor of alt right trolls. But you're deluding yourself if you're saying South Park did not normalize anti-Semitic rhetoric. Why do you think no one batted an eye when PewDiePie built his empire off of Jewish jokes? Why people rushed to his defense saying he was just joking about the "Kill all Jews" sign? It's because South Park taught them that Jews are okay to insult. It's okay to make jokes at their expense!

I'm sorry but I do not believe there are that many anti-Semitic parents out there who teach their kids to use Jew as an insult when they are saying it in Cartmans voice.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I said most and you respond by saying a minority doesn't...

Fair point.

Also to associate snark and whatnot to authoriarianism is more than just unkind

Is that inaccurate? Snark (and whatnot) is a very effective tool for shutting down discussion, isn't it? Trolls/Alt-Right employ it all the time. Unless I've misunderstood the term, shutting down discussion is quite an important characteristic of authoritarianism.

Given that group has not actual power outside (or inside) an internet forum, that would be a colossal mislabeling of "authoritarian".

Well, as I said, I'm using the term a little liberally (pun intended), but I'd argue that there are power relationships everywhere, including within a humble internet discussion.

Did the writer ever even consider that SP is really heavily liberal and that you'd need to be completely blind to not see it?

If some people watching it managed to take it as reason to go alt right they're a lost cause anyway.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
It must be alt-right because they dared to make fun of left extremists too (which kind of legitimates some of the jokes about them, ironically).
SP: The left are such insufferable idiots because they care about things.

Left: That's a stupid opinion.

SP: Ha, see. Look at them legitimize those jokes by caring about things.

I wonder why people are connecting trolling with south park...

Anyhow, they always were and will always be "both sides" no matter what either side does. It's just that the stuff you care about most will always hit the hardest. Trump fans don't care that much about most of the criticisms toward trump because they've already marginalized those things in their heads, while they see the Hillary critiques as super hard hitting, and the same visa-versa.

EGM1966

South Park was a product of the times. You could say NWO/DX raised trolls. Tom Green raised trolls. Jackass raised trolls. Punk'd raised trolls. The Lion King 2: Return of Jafar raised trolls. Grunge raised trolls. Or maybe these things were symptoms rather than root causes--emergent anecdocts borne out of some greater societal zeitgeist.

Society's collective conscious was headed towards a vapidly nihilistic state which put pressure on people to simply not care what others think or feel. One of the most popular phrases of the last few decades is "don't give a fuck". Not giving a fuck is seen as an ideal state. You care so little that when expressing how little you care you'll mindlessly throw in an societally taboo word that makes no real sense in that phrase, just in case it pisses somebody off. When you build a society and culture where sociopathic people prosper so effortlessly, the rest of the populace picks up on this fact, even if unconsciously.

Southpark didn't cause this. The internet just gave powerless peons more agency. The ability to, in aggregate, become the idyllic avatar of a sociopathic cultural. This is a christian-hypocritical, capitalist, consumerist, patriarchal society eating itself alive after growing large enough for its mouth to find its tail.
That's how I see it. For me current trends and Trump are the clear result of these social trends.

Not everyone's like this of course but a sizeable and worrying percentage of that demographic are.

Nanashrew

Banned
I also grew up loving South Park. And I turned out fine. But I'm not gonna use myself as a barometer for the rest of the world and all the kids that shout Jew as an insult on Xbox live. Nor is South Park the sole reason and inventor of alt right trolls. But you're deluding yourself if you're saying South Park did not normalize anti-Semitic rhetoric. Why do you think no one batted an eye when PewDiePie built his empire off of Jewish jokes? Why people rushed to his defense saying he was just joking about the "Kill all Jews" sign? It's because South Park taught them that Jews are okay to insult. It's okay to make jokes at their expense!

I'm sorry but I do not believe there are that many anti-Semitic parents out there who teach their kids to use Jew as an insult when they are saying it in Cartmans voice.

Yeah. And that GAF thread on that Pewdiepie subject also had some defending the "joke", saying things like how it's no different from South Park or other shock comedians. That thread was just long and tiring with that stuff.

Cpt Lmao

Did the writer ever even consider that SP is really heavily liberal and that you'd need to be completely blind to not see it?

If some people watching it managed to take it as reason to go alt right they're a lost cause anyway.

Maybe in America? In Europe there's more to being liberal than wanting weed legalised.

SKINNER!

Banned

The sad part is that television is used by some parents to raise their kids. What is required for parents is to advice and tell their children of the negative implications of behaving like the terrible/bad kids in South Park. It was mentioned earlier but I - too - noticed there were 2 crowds of people enjoying South Park when I was watching the show growing up. One crowd was the one who recognised it as satire while the other crowd took it literally for what it was. South Park is not the issue here. If your child is watching the show without being told/warned that it isn't an appropriate representation of what real-life society is then you - as a parent/carer - aren't doing your job. It's all about the accompanying context. You can watch and enjoy South Park knowing full well that what Eric Cartman says and does is terrible because he is an asshole kid and he does get his come-uppins as a result. If you take the show for what it is it is really good satire. And let's be honest, we all knew a real Eric Cartman in our lives and they were a joke! a person that nobody liked who only said terrible things to get a reaction. Who wanted to be that kinda person? However, I too knew people who watched South Park and almost saw Cartman as a role model. They'd copy his catch phrases and controversial stances on issues. Say inappropriate things and just act like a spoiled kid. As a result, they'd get in trouble and instead of the parents warning their kids about copying/misinterpreting Cartman on South Park, they go and blame the show for its content...even though it was never intended for kids in the first time.

You see, I learned something today. One can argue that we have a generation raised on a politically incorrect show like South Park which is unfortunate and - as a result - we got unapologetic adults who go out and offend people. But the thing is, there's also numerous other people who are watching the exact same show and are incredibly kind, decent people. Look at how many people watch the show and see its relevance for what it is. It evolved into more than a show about fart jokes. It brought forward discussion about subjects that no other show would dare approach.

Not to draw comparisons but this is not just exclusive to South Park. It's goes with other shows, video games, books. Look, if a child is watching Tom and Jerry without being warned by a parent about the dangerous implications of jumping of a high-raised house or lighting someone on fire then you're just a fucking terrible parent.

Famassu

True, and some people listen to both because they are those things, some people listen in spite of it and some teenagers/trolls listen to it to annoy their parents.

Authoritarians both right and left will try to police that which they find offensive. Which just makes it more inticing to the teenager/trolls out there.
Critique = policing. There's a difference in even the somewhat moderate right's hysteria towards books given to somewhat young school kids that handle sexuality (no matter if it's hetero or homo) & wanting to burn/ban them and left's critique of objectifying women.

DarkKyo

But in general South Park respects the Jewish faith and its members. They satirize the stereotypes to make the stereotypes completely absurd. I can't speak to PewDiePie because I've never seen his show but is the context of his jokes similar in that way?

If you're suggesting the attitude required for true antisemitism sentiment was popularized by South Park I'd say you're dead wrong. A villainous character like Cartman using Jew as an insult in itself is not going to do anything besides make it known that there are people out there who feel the way Cartman does.

Maybe in America? In Europe there's more to being liberal than wanting weed legalised.

Watch the last 3 seasons and tell me they aren't liberal. The entire premise is to use satire to point out fucked up shit in the world, like most comedic avenues. I'm not American either.

Most kids who watch South Park don't get any of the satire or subtext of South Park. They watch it to hear Cartman scream obscenities, alien anal probe orgies, and singing dancing poos. They might think they feel smart because there's a political bend to it. But they don't fucking know who Al Gore really is.

SP: The left are such insufferable idiots because they care about things.

Left: That's a stupid opinion.

SP: Ha, see. Look at them legitimize those jokes by caring about things.

I wonder why people are connecting trolling with south park...

Anyhow, they always were and will always be "both sides" no matter what either side does. It's just that the stuff you care about most will always hit the hardest. Trump fans don't care that much about most of the criticisms toward trump because they've already marginalized those things in their heads, while they see the Hillary critiques as super hard hitting, and the same visa-versa.

For "unexpected" anti-trump content from certain creators online I've seen a lot of comments in the vein of "that's why I stopped watching South Park, why is everyone calling me stupid".

But in general South Park respects the Jewish faith and its members. They satirize the stereotypes to make the stereotypes completely absurd. I can't speak to PewDiePie because I've never seen his show but is the context of his jokes similar in that way?

If you're suggesting the attitude required for true antisemitism sentiment was popularized by South Park I'd say you're dead wrong. A villainous character like Cartman using Jew as an insult in itself is not going to do anything besides make it known that there are people out there who feel the way Cartman does.

I think you're out of touch if you think people actually hate Cartman. Kids fucking love Cartman. They think he's hilarious.

Most kids who watch South Park don't get any of the satire or subtext of South Park. They watch it to hear Cartman scream obscenities, alien anal probe orgies, and singing dancing poos. They might think they feel smart because there's a political bend to it. But they don't fucking know who Al Gore really is.

And I watched it as a kid. I knew not to say shit I heard on there because it's purpose is to offend. As the show grew up so do did I.

I knew lots of kids who grew up watching it too. Blame the parents for not raising their kids right rather than the creators of a show is my view.

Not

Banned
Critique = policing.

OK. I don't like what you're saying.

(loud crack)

(seismic wave)

(camera tracking shot through the window and towards you; you fill the frame as wind blows your hair and clothes backward)

You are now forced to stop saying it anywhere else.

This is awesome.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

You might say they are libertarian, or radical centrists, but they are certainly not liberal.

Name me one episode that fits the word liberal but not libertarian.

DarkKyo

I think you're out of touch if you think people actually hate Cartman. Kids fucking love Cartman. They think he's hilarious.

I think Cartman is hilarious too! But I never used Jew as an insult because it's always been the wrong thing to do. What is the difference between me and those kids?

Cartman is a ridiculous character who is meant to take bad, lazy, and stupid views to the extreme. It's his whole shtick.

Triteon

OK. I don't like what you're saying.

(loud crack)

(seismic wave)

(camera tracking shot through the window and towards you; you fill the frame as wind blows your hair and clothes backward)

You are now forced to stop saying it anywhere else.

This is awesome.

I think that was a typo.
I think he was saying they are not equivalent and missed a \.

And I watched it as a kid. I knew not to say shit I heard on there because it's purpose is to offend. As the show grew up so do did I.

I knew lots of kids who grew up watching it too. Blame the parents for not raising their kids right rather than the creators of a show is my view.

Yup. I was 14 when the show started, and while like many young men, I went through a phase of being a provocative douchebag, it never had anything to do with South Park. And my oldest daughter, now 13, fucking loves South Park, but is pretty damn outspoken about her notions of justice in the world, and it sure as shit doesn't reflect the cynicism of the show.

Nanashrew

Banned
As far as I remember from back in the day, Kenny and Cartman were always the most popular. Before memes became memes, there was Kenny and that famous "Oh my God! They killed Kenny!" line I heard everywhere as a kid and teen. Cartman being the a-hole that he is, also was fairly popular for being an a-hole and plenty found him to be funny because of the things he could get away with saying and the things that would happen to him.

Cartman has a strong personality in the show and things happen to him a lot so of course people are going to gravitate to him.

You might say they are libertarian, or radical centrists, but they are certainly not liberal.

Name me one episode that fits the word liberal but not libertarian.

The whole last season was about how trolling is no joke. Liberal, Centrist or libertarian the message is always there in the episode particularly in modern ones. It may be satire but it's still there.

Mr. Sam

The episode of South Park that first stood out to me is Bloody Mary, from 2005, in which Randy develops a drinking problem. The episode posits that not only is alcoholism not a disease but that alcoholics who abstain from drinking are still having their lives controlled by alcohol and should continue to drink in moderation. This wasn't in a "Oh, isn't Randy being silly?" way, it was in a "Here's Stan on his soap box dropping some truth in a serious monologue" way. It was the most appalling bullshit.

South Park may be "liberal" but that doesn't mean it hasn't encouraged dangerous attitudes.

DarkKyo

Yup. I was 14 when the show started, and while like many young men, I went through a phase of being a provocative douchebag, it never had anything to do with South Park. And my oldest daughter, now 13, fucking loves South Park, but is pretty damn outspoken about her notions of justice in the world, and it sure as shit doesn't reflect the cynicism of the show.

That's awesome.

Clearly these attitudes are instilled into kids by their parents. Parents who don't contextualize these things to their kids or, god forbid, are actually horrible people themselves, are going to raise rotten kids who lash out against diversity and the ideals of brotherly love regardless of the media they watch.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
I think giving South Park responsibility for our current culture is giving them far more credit than they deserve.

What's more interesting to me is that I heard an interview with Trey Parker about a month ago, saying that they know it's only a matter of time before the liberal/PC brigade puts their sights on them. He was saying he can't believe they've flown under the radar for so long and he knows their time will be up soon and him and Matt will just go back to Colorado and leave Hollywood behind.

This thread seems to be evidence that he may not be off base.

Sacha Baron Cohen? :)
They might ape certain lines they took from South Park, but a single show certainly couldn't have turned or raised them into dumb punks. Without South Park, they would still act like goons and quote other material, they clearly have other problems for behaving like that. This reminds me of back in the day, when Counter Strike or something was blamed for massacres around here. As if a single piece of media could shape a person in such extremes.

#notallsouthparkfans

I had a bunch of friends who threw around Jew as an insult and considered it to be a harmless non-racist jab. Some of them went through a lot of bullying in school growing up due to their race/ethnicity and it kind of blew my mind. It wasn't 100% the fault of Southpark, but it normalised the behaviour. They took away that anything can be a joke whilst divorcing the fact if somebody said a similar thing to them it would hurt them.

Top Bottom