• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.
Edmond Dantès;41125484 said:
None of the above would have speaking roles apart from maybe Celeborn and Gimli's cameo. But mentioning them during the narrative at certain points (White Council meeting, flashbacks etc) would be an effective way to flesh out Middle-earth and Arda as a whole.

Well sure. I'm still a little worried the dwarves don't get much of a personality. Then again i'm not even sure if that is for the best in the movie. I haven't read the hobbit for a good while and I don't remember like half of the dwarves doing anything. I do like the dwarf designs tho. Makes them stand out.

Wasn't there actually a rumour at some point that there wouldn't be 13 dwarves. I could have seen that working better if there was only 1 movie.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Speaking of Celeborn, his expanded role in the extended cut of Lothlorien is quite nice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVoqO1gIb3o&feature=fvwrel

Glad the gift giving scene was included as it deals with a very important matter; the reconciliation between the dwarves and elves via the actions of Galadriel and Gimli. Galadriel giving three strands of her hair to Gimli after he humbly asks for one which is in stark contrast to what happened when Feanor asked her for strands of her hair; she rejected him. He who was mightiest of all the elves who could have slayed her there and then. She sensed the evil of Feanor and the doom surrounding him and his future sons, just as she sensed the evil of Annatar.

Smiling Galadriel is best Galadriel.

galadriellaughingpleased-2.jpg

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Well sure. I'm still a little worried the dwarves don't get much of a personality. Then again i'm not even sure if that is for the best in the movie. I haven't read the hobbit for a good while and I don't remember like half of the dwarves doing anything. I do like the dwarf designs tho. Makes them stand out.

Wasn't there actually a rumour at some point that there wouldn't be 13 dwarves. I could have seen that working better if there was only 1 movie.
Very early rumour circa 2008 which was quashed very quickly.

Loxley

So I'm right in the middle of an impromptu Fellowship re-read to kill time before my final semester of college starts. I haven't read Fellowship in a few years, and I forgot just how much I enjoyed Fog on the Barrow-downs. I think if there was one full "scene" from Fellowship that I'm sad was cut from the film out-right, it's probably that chapter.

I think I like it because - as is often the case - I really enjoy it when characters stumble across places in Middle-Earth that have a storied history, but are a far cry from what they once were (similar to Moria). Also, I'm just infinitely curious as to what Howard Shore would have come up with for an eerie place like the Barrow-downs. Perhaps something similar to The Passage of the Marshes, although I envision a slightly more somber tone for some reason.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
So I'm right in the middle of an impromptu Fellowship re-read to kill time before my final semester of college starts. I haven't read Fellowship in a few years, and I forgot just how much I enjoyed Fog on the Barrow-downs. I think if there was one full "scene" from Fellowship that I'm sad was cut from the film out-right, it's probably that chapter.

I think I like it because - as is often the case - I really enjoy it when characters stumble across places in Middle-Earth that have a storied history, but are a far cry from what they once were (similar to Moria). Also, I'm just infinitely curious as to what Howard Shore would have come up with for an eerie place like the Barrow-downs. Perhaps something similar to The Passage of the Marshes, although I envision a slightly more somber tone for some reason.
Might get a opportunity to hear that kind of theme in The Hobbit considering the Wights are apparently in and deepest darkest parts of Mirkwood and Dol Guldur are not too dissimilar in their eeriness when compared to the Barrow-downs.

bengraven

Edmond Dantès;41126166 said:
Easy choice though; Merry and Pippin.

That was the plan. Tbh, if you remove the ents they're not completely necessary.

But still, Pete said no and the movies are the better for it. While the characters are not "necessary" as I said, each does add to the story and represent another part of it.

Except Merry.

That was the plan. Tbh, if you remove the ents they're not completely necessary.

But still, Pete said no and the movies are the better for it. While the characters are not "necessary" as I said, each does add to the story and represent another part of it.

Except Merry.

Right. Remove that little shit from stabbing me (see avatar) and it's a different movie.

Jacob

Yeah, the studio also wanted to kill off one or two of the Hobbits during LOTR's production. ha

That was Miramax/the Weinsteins. They also wanted to make the whole project a single film. To do so they suggested cutting Helm's Deep and Saruman and combining Gondor and Rohan with Eowyn as Boromir's sister. Fortunately PJ managed to take the project to New Line who were pretty cool throughout the production.

Damn. That seems almost unthinkable now seeing how much money is being thrown at the hobbit films.

From what I remember, fantasy was a pretty dead genre until the arrival of Lord of the Rings, certainly nothing on that scale (Harry Potter beat them to it by a few months, but the green light and production of LOTR began much earlier), so I can see why studios didn't want to invest too much into it when it was still a quiet genre.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Damn. That seems almost unthinkable now seeing how much money is being thrown at the hobbit films.

From what I remember, fantasy was a pretty dead genre until the arrival of Lord of the Rings, certainly nothing on that scale (Harry Potter beat them to it by a few months, but the green light and production of LOTR began much earlier), so I can see why studios didn't want to invest too much into it when it was still a quiet genre.
The excessive budget of the hobbit project is mostly down to the Red Epic cameras and certain returning stars wanting a lot more $$$ this time round.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
The-Music-of-The-Hobbit-Films.jpg

Today the musical world of Middle-earth begins expanding once again. Today, you can no longer say that you know every note of Shore's music for Tolkien's world. In fact, you only know about half of it. (This is a ballpark figure; I have no idea how long the three Hobbit films will be!) Today the subject of The Music of the Hobbit Films exists not just in concept, but in reality. Today a new journey begins ...
http://www.musicoflotr.com/2012/08/commencement.html#disqus_thread

Record sessions start today.

Looking forward to some bombastic, adrenaline inducing themes reminiscent of Glamdring and Khazad-dum as well as The Caverns of Isengard, The Lighting of the Beacons and The Mouth of Sauron.

Urus ni buzra!
Arras talbabi filluma!
Ugrud tashniki kurduma!
Lu! Lu! Lu!
Urkhas tanakhi!

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
heres hoping some of it makes it into the trailer, wonder when in sep it will hit

Howard Shore's score for LOTR is just as important to the films as John Williams' is for Star Wars so I'm super super excited to hear what he comes up with!

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Cumberbatch on Smaug The Chiefest and Greatest of Calamities' screen time.
I think my eye might open at the end of the first film and then you’ll get the rest of me in the second.
http://cumberbatchweb.tumblr.com/post/29780696578/quote-re-smaug-in-the-hobbit

First Hobbit tie-in book to be released in the UK on 31 August.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0007487347/

The real reason why The Hobbit is a trilogy

http://www.businessinsider.com/heres-the-real-reason-mgm-needs-the-hobbit-split-into-3-movies-2012-8

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Edmond Dantès;41217884 said:
Cumberbatch on Smaug The Chiefest and Greatest of Calamities' screen time.

http://cumberbatchweb.tumblr.com/post/29780696578/quote-re-smaug-in-the-hobbit

First Hobbit tie-in book to be released in the UK on 31 August.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0007487347/

The real reason why The Hobbit is a trilogy

http://www.businessinsider.com/heres-the-real-reason-mgm-needs-the-hobbit-split-into-3-movies-2012-8

I honestly dont think the hobbit series is going to pull lotr gross, i may be wrong but i honestly cant see it.

Cheebo

Banned
I honestly dont think the hobbit series is going to pull lotr gross, i may be wrong but i honestly cant see it.

The overseas market has literally exploded since the LOTR trilogy. Especially the last 5 years. The hobbit trilogys worldwide gross will be easily larger than LOTR's. Basically by default.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
The overseas market has literally exploded since the LOTR trilogy. Especially the last 5 years. The hobbit trilogys worldwide gross will be easily larger than LOTR's. Basically by default.
Yeah, Hobbit will easily surpass LOTR in terms of gross.

It may even surpass LOTR in terms of quality as well. Wouldn't be surprised if LOTR is forgotten and The Hobbit trilogy becomes the definitive Middle-earth depiction.

ascii42

Edmond Dantès;41221352 said:
It may even surpass LOTR in terms of quality as well. Wouldn't be surprised if LOTR is forgotten and The Hobbit trilogy becomes the definitive Middle-earth depiction.

Might be getting ahead of ourselves there.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
On the subject of LOTR, I've always loved the link between Boromir and Isildur's deaths in the Fellowship.

Isildur takes three arrows to the back while fleeing battle in a cowardly manner. Boromir takes three arrows to the front while bravely facing battle and therefore redeeming the race of men somewhat before Aragorn's rise to kingship.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Might be getting ahead of ourselves there.
The narrative will be superior that's for sure as The Hobbit ==> The Lord of the Rings.

For completeness:

The Quenta Silmarillion ==> The Hobbit ==> The Lord of the Rings ==> Akallabêth ==> Misc Arda stories from Unfinished Tales.

Children of Hurin is always counted as part of the Quenta for me.

Cheebo

Banned
The Hobbit the novel is imo better than Lord of the Rings but it is far from assured that this trilogy as a film trilogy will be better than LOTR.

This. 3D guarantees it. My guess is that the entire trilogy grosses close to $2 billion easily.

Thats it? That would be pretty bad. Each film will easily do 1 bil a piece.

ascii42

Edmond Dantès;41221629 said:
The narrative will be superior that's for sure as The Hobbit ==> The Lord of the Rings.

For completeness:

The Quenta Silmarillion ==> The Hobbit ==> The Lord of the Rings ==> Akallabêth ==> Misc Arda stories from Unfinished Tales.

Children of Hurin is always counted as part of the Quenta for me.

Yeah, perhaps. It still remains to be seen how well the narrative is adapted (probably quite well). However, even if it is surpassed, the LotR trilogy won't be forgotten.

Ixion

Edmond Dantès;41221629 said:

I don't necessarily agree with that. The Hobbit may be faster paced and more jam packed with events, characters, and varied locations, but at the end of the day it's just a very whimsical story arc.

I read The Hobbit first and definitely loved it, but as soon as I began Fellowship, it grabbed me on another level. The plot just has more meaning, scope, and importance.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
I don't necessarily agree with that. The Hobbit may be faster paced and more jam packed with events, characters, and varied locations, but at the end of the day it's just a very whimsical story arc.

I read The Hobbit first and definitely loved it, but as soon as I began Fellowship, it grabbed me on another level. The plot just has more meaning, scope, and importance.
But the meaning, scope and the importance can be drowned out by Tolkien's rather lovely descriptions of Middle-earth, thus the narrative comes to a complete standstill quite often.

Edmond Dantès;41224159 said:
But the meaning, scope and the importance can be drowned out by Tolkien's rather lovely descriptions of Middle-earth, thus the narrative comes to a complete standstill quite often.

That's not a problem the films have.

Ixion

Edmond Dantès;41224159 said:

As faceless said, movie adaptations don't have to worry about that.

As for me personally though, I feel Tolkien's descriptions of Middle-Earth in the LOTR makes the narrative even more effective, as it pulls the reader further into a more immersive and interesting world. It was the LOTR books that really made me appreciate Middle-Earth.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
As faceless said, movie adaptations don't have to worry about that.

As for me personally though, I feel Tolkien's descriptions of Middle-Earth in the LOTR makes the narrative even more effective, as it pulls the reader further into a more immersive and interesting world. It was the LOTR books that really made me appreciate Middle-Earth.
Indeed. Tolkien's greatest achievements were the creation of a fleshed out, believable world with a rich and diverse history as well as the languages he created.

But, as has been said before; developing characters and giving them depth was a weakness in Tolkien's writing with a few notable exceptions; Gollum for example.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Back to Hobbit discussion.

The parallels between Faramir and Dain are something I'm looking forward.

Kinsmen of men and dwarves who
fall from grace and lose all sense of themselves
due to the influences of the One Ring and the
dragon sickness
which is a recurring theme in Tolkien's work; Turin falling foul of it and Farmer Giles avoiding it etc. Obviously inspired by Fafnir of Volsunga Saga fame

The two aforementioned characters become what their
fallen
kinsmen should have been and resist the allure of the two great evils mentioned.

Although, Thorin and Boromir do
redeem themselves somewhat before their deaths.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Edmond Dantès;41221352 said:
Yeah, Hobbit will easily surpass LOTR in terms of gross.

What a horrible thought.

Branduil

Edmond Dantès;41185953 said:
Might get a opportunity to hear that kind of theme in The Hobbit considering the Wights are apparently in and deepest darkest parts of Mirkwood and Dol Guldur are not too dissimilar in their eeriness when compared to the Barrow-downs.

The Barrow-wights are in the Hobbit?

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
As I've stated before, the patronizing narrator has been eradicated. Bilbo seems more of a fool and less important.

Thorin comes across as worse and signs of early corruption are visible.

And with the inclusion of Bree, Rangers and the Bridge, Bilbo is certainly part of Frodo's world now.

I would have liked to see Tolkien finish New Hobbit, and think it could have co-existed just fine with old Hobbit.

Branduil

Edmond Dantès;41271614 said:
Not in the novel, but they will be included in the film as servants of The Necromancer it seems.

That's... a bit weird. Though it fits with the films making everything evil the servant of Sauron, whereas in the books there are plenty of evil spirits in Middle Earth with their own independent agenda(see Caradhras).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom