• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raptor

I have no doubt in my mind that the Del Toro Version would have been better than what we will get.

A lot of people disagree though.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
I have no doubt in my mind that the Del Toro Version would have been better than what we will get.

It would have been nice to see a different take on Middle-earth from someone who certainly came across as having a good understanding of the source material.

Salvadora

I would have loved to have seen Del Toro's Hobbit. In fact, I'd rather have him than Jackson. Hope we get to see designs in the future.

Nobody should touch LOTR or The Hobbit but Jackson, IMO, it's his baby, and he knows how to pull it off, curious to see what Del Toro would have done though.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Yeah, but I'd rather see one man's coherent vision than the disjointed visions of four different men (the Harry Potter films).
This. So much this. I would love to see what GDT had in mind, but I'd rather have an universe that flows well. PJ showed he's the man for the job already.

Helmholtz

Del Toro would have been my second choice to direct it after Jackson. His visual style is just spot on for fantasy settings and characters. But honestly Jackson nailed it 10 years ago, can't wait to see what he can do now.

I'm not going to mention if it would have been better or worse, but it would have been too different.

It wouldn't have come off as a cohesive world any more. It would have been a mess when viewed as 6 movies of a series.

Yeah, but I'd rather see one man's coherent vision than the disjointed visions of four different men (the Harry Potter films).

Agreed, I thoroughly enjoyed most of Jacksons vision of Middle Earth, and the last thing I would wish for is a difference in tone, pacing, style and design between the LOTR and Hobbit trilogies.

That isn't to say GDT's vision wouldn't have been interesting to behold.

Salvadora

Edmond Dantès;41381675 said:
Pan's Labyrinth is evidence enough of that.

But I still think Guillermo's influence will be felt throughout The Hobbit. Creature designs in particular.

Yeah it was pretty great to hear that it hadn't been simply thrown aside.

Raptor

I'm not going to mention if it would have been better or worse, but it would have been too different.

It wouldn't have come off as a cohesive world any more. It would have been a mess when viewed as 6 movies of a series.

StarWars IV, V and VI feels like a part of a Trilogy and they were made by different directors.

Its not like Jackson is the only competent director who can make great stuff out of something.

StarWars IV, V and VI feels like a part of a Trilogy and they were made by different directors.

Its not like Jackson is the only competent director who can make great stuff out of something.

Those 3 separate directors did not have the distinct visual style that GDT has. His style is so distinct that one could almost easily see Pan's Labyrinth taking place in the same universe as the Hellboy movies.

As some one else mentioned, look at the Harry Potter movies and how much things change with the directors, while they yes exist in the same universe, some movies feel so different from others. Not just for their stories.

I don't think GDT's distinct visual style would have meshed well with the one Peter Jackson nurtured in the first 3.

Loxley

Edmond Dantès;41402376 said:
The Wargs are quite a departure too and that may be down to Guillermo's influence.

At least they don't like hyenas anymore.

Yeah, definitely an improvement.

I was at an antique shop with my girlfriend this afternoon and we both made a B-line for their old books section, I came across a copy of the 50th Anniversary Edition of The Hobbit from 1987:

544160677tp.jpg

That's not the one I saw, just a Google image. But the thing looked practically brand new. It looks identical to the 75th Anniversary edition, except instead it's gold instead of green. To bad I didn't have $100 to spare :(

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Yeah, definitely an improvement.

I was at an antique shop with my girlfriend this afternoon and we both made a B-line for their old books section, I came across a copy of the 50th Anniversary Edition of The Hobbit from 1987:

544160677tp.jpg

That's not the one I saw, just a Google image. But the thing looked practically brand new. It looks identical to the 75th Anniversary edition, except instead it's gold instead of green. To bad I didn't have $100 to spare :(
I feel your pain. :(

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
On the topic of swords; I wonder if the history of Glamdring will be explored in The Hobbit.

The likes of the great King Turgon,
(who Glamdring originally belonged to)
his adopted son Tuor, the only man to ever be counted as one of the Elves and to remain in Valinor or the even mightier Ecthelion who defeated the Lord of the Valaraukar; Gothmog, the Voice of Morgoth in a tremendous duel which saw them both fighting while they sank to the bottom of the fountain of Gondolin ending in both their deaths.

And even a mention of a certain Glorfindel who Peter seems to dislike.

544160677tp.jpg

That's the version I have, and was a present from my father many, many years ago. Its one of the few physical books I still own.

And gotta love shopping around old stores. I got a first edition Silmarillion from a corner used book store in New Orleans for $8.

agrajag

Banned
Edmond Dantès;41437221 said:
On the topic of swords; I wonder if the history of Glamdring will be explored in The Hobbit.

The likes of the great King Turgon,
(who Glamdring originally belonged to)
his adopted son Tuor, the only man to ever be counted as one of the Elves and to remain in Valinor or the even mightier Ecthelion who defeated the Lord of the Valaraukar; Gothmog, the Voice of Morgoth in a tremendous duel which saw them both fighting while they sank to the bottom of the fountain of Gondolin ending in both their deaths.

And even a mention of a certain Glorfindel who Peter seems to dislike.

Is it the same Glorfindel though? There doesn't seem to be a consensus on that one.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Is it the same Glorfindel though? There doesn't seem to be a consensus on that one.
Christopher Tolkien has this to say in Return of the Shadow (History of Middle-earth volume 6).
"Also very notable is 'Glorfindel tells of his ancestry in Goldolin.' Years later, long after the publication of The Lord of the Rings,my father gave a great deal of thought to the matter of Glorfindel, and at that time he wrote:'[The use of Glorfindel] in The Lord of the Rings is one of the cases of the somewhat random use of the names found in the older legends, now referred to as The Silmarillion, which escaped reconsideration in the final publication of The Lord of the Rings.' He came to the conclusion that Glorfindel of Gondolin, who fell to his death in combat with a Balrog after the sack of the city, and Glorfindel of Rivendell were one and the same: he was released from mandos and returned to Middle-earth in the second age."
Also, the following plot notes were scribbled down by Tolkien, something he did very often when writing his legandarium. Some of these jottings are lost forever, but Christopher has salvaged much, hence The Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales, Book of Lost Tales, early drafts of The Hobbit, LOTR are in existence today.

The notes predating the letter mentioned above by Christopher:
Consultation. Over M[isty] M[ountains]. Down Great River to Mordor. Dark Tower. Beyond(?) which is the Fiery Hill.
Story of Gil-galad told by Elrond? Who is Trotter? Glorfindel tells of his ancestry in Gondolin.

Seems evident that Tolkien always had it mind that Glorfindel from LOTR was the very same Glorfindel who thought bravely in the Fall of Gondolin. But with the stresses of publication, his work etc he just forgot about the earlier concept of Glorfindel when writing that letter, but later realized his error and set the record straight.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Glorfindel's battle with a balrog on the mountains encircling Gondolin is certainly one of the greatest acts of valour exhibited in the Arda mythos.

iusGPXLODZGjF.jpg

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
My favourite bad ass moment of the Tolkien universe is the Fingolfin vs Morgoth fight.

howe_fingolfin_m.jpg

Actually nothing comes close in the Hobbit and LotR to the epicness of what happens in the Silmarillion. Kinda a bummer that the Tolkien estate are such whiney bitches. I would love to see some of those things on screen.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
My favourite bad ass moment of the Tolkien universe is the Fingolfin vs Morgoth fight.

howe_fingolfin_m.jpg

Actually nothing comes close in the Hobbit and LotR to the epicness of what happens in the Silmarillion. Kinda a bummer that the Tolkien estate are such whiney bitches. I would love to see some of those things on screen.
Nothing to do with being whiny as has been stated many times before. The Silmarillion, the history of the elves, Beren and Luthien meant more to Tolkien than any of his other works so Christopher has every right to be protective of his father's work and it is highly disrespectful to refer to him in such a manner after all he has done.

The Silmarillion bears witness to the truths of Tolkien's heart and mind that he never abandoned. The Silmarillion mythos was scribbled down in his youth, when for him Elvish magic lingered yet mightily in the woods and hills of Luthany; in his old age all was gone West-over-sea, and an end was indeed come for the Eldar of story and of song.

agrajag

Banned
Edmond Dantès;41447704 said:
Glorfindel's battle with a balrog on the mountains encircling Gondolin is certainly one of the greatest acts of valour exhibited in the Arda mythos.

iusGPXLODZGjF.jpg

Man, I love John Howe's art, but he was always bad at drawing humans. Glorfindel just looks terrible, his sword, the way he holds it, his wrist unnaturally bent and the crappy hilt... it feels like he spent an hour drawing the balrog and ten seconds drawing Glorfindel :(

Same with the Fingolfin/Morgoth painting. Morgoth looks badass though. Maybe he just liked villains more?

Loxley

Man, I love John Howe's art, but he was always bad at drawing humans. Glorfindel just looks terrible, his sword, the way he holds it, his wrist unnaturally bent and the crappy hilt... it feels like he spent an hour drawing the balrog and ten seconds drawing Glorfindel :(

Same with the Fingolfin/Morgoth painting. Morgoth looks badass though. Maybe he just liked villains more?

His biggest strength, in my opinion, has always been in composition. He really knows how to frame an epic looking scene. He also knows how to make scenes just look really exciting, there's a good sense of motion to his style. People are definitely not his strength, but I find them to be rendered well-enough that it doesn't detract from his art for me.

I've always been of the mind that - overall - Alan Lee is the more technically competent artist between the two of them if we're going to get down to critiquing there works. I literally cannot find fault with most of Lee's catalog. Then again it could just be that Lee's style is simply more to my tastes, but either way they're both pretty much masters of translating Tolkien's words into images. Ted Nasmith as well.

Big fan of Guillermo movies. Even though I'm still going to see the Hobbit movies. I would be much more excited if he was directing them instead of Peter Jackson. Hopefully, I enjoy the Hobbit movies. ^^

544160677tp.jpg

That's the version my dad owns, which is the only version of The Hobbit I've read. Feels like a book bound for a king :D

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Two Hobbit tie-ins.

iJJgJSW7gXQum.jpg

August 30, 2012.

ibzYGIA6xK4YHY.jpg

Special collector’s film tie-in hardback of the best-selling classic, featuring the complete story with a sumptuous cover design inspired by The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey and brand new reproductions of all the drawings and maps by J.R.R. Tolkien.
8 Nov, 2012

apana

What will happen when the Hobbit and LOTR become public domain? Does that mean anyone can use it how they like? I for one am ready for "Avengers vs. Middle Earth". I assume that also means LOTR will be rebooted once or twice before 2050.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
What will happen when the Hobbit and LOTR become public domain? Does that mean anyone can use it how they like? I for one am ready for "Avengers vs. Middle Earth". I assume that also means LOTR will be rebooted once or twice before 2050.
Think of it like Shakespeare for example. Many different adaptations all with their own unique style.

As for a reboot, expect one sooner. A clause states that WB must release a LOTR/Hobbit film(s) every ten years or else they relinquish the licence.

The Lord of the Rings readapted by 2022.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Elijah Wood on Filming 'The Hobbit
"It felt like home," he said. "I think after so much time had passed, it was also quite surreal. But I think the most surreal thing about it is that it felt oddly normal. I think I expected it to feel like eight years had passed and in a way it felt like no time had passed. In that way, it really surprised me. It was like a family reunion. It was like stepping back in time. It was a gift. It was really wonderful to revisit old friends and be in that space again. And not having the responsibility of three movies. It was nice to pop in and pop out and have a lovely visit."
http://www.parade.com/celebrity/celebrity-parade/2012/08/28-elijah-wood-the-hobbit.html

I like Elijah and his depiction of Frodo, but I hope we don't see too much of him.

I'd have liked to see Del Toro's designs in the film but still he makes awful english-language films.

I think he's only an ideas man to be honest. Hellboy movies sucked ass. And Blade 2 was cool but it had nothing on the first film.

GCX

Edmond Dantès;41521221 said:
I like Elijah and his depiction of Frodo, but I hope we don't see too much of him.
Well he said it was "a lovely visit" which kinda indicates he won't have that much screen time.

I think it's a pretty natural and logical way of connecting The Hobbit with LOTR by having old Bilbo telling the story to Frodo. I'd guess those scenes won't be that long (maybe excluding the first scene of the first movie and the last scene of the third movie).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom