• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT2| The Den Of Xenophiles

Melchiah said:
After the Shadow Broker mission, you have an access to certain video files. I wonder woh that
Asari was, and why (s)he was staring at L'iara's photograph
?

Isn't that implied to be
Liara's father?

Fimbulvetr said:
Isn't that implied to be
Liara's father?

Pretty much. In ME1
She says that Benezia never revealed who her 'father' was but she does reveal that she was a pureblood - ie her father was another Asari and not from another race. Purebloods are viewed by the Asari as inferior, which is why Liara gets a lot of slurs off some "pureblood bitch" etc.

Anyway, that woman is in the bar in Illium behind the bar. She talks a little of her long lost daughter who she can't see for various reasons, I think. She's Liara's father.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
So at the bar on Illium I talked to the bartender and she set up the drinks for me. I took a drink and it pops up with the renegade logo but no specification of how much renegade value I got. Nevertheless, I thought it was funny so I drank my ass off. I thought it gave me a considerable boost but wasn't paying close enough attention. Later on I go back to test it and it doesn't have the renegade logo, but just a generic person silhouette logo. Later on after that, it shows a "coin down" logo, which is more what I'd expect from buying something. Anyone know what the changes are all about?

The first time I was on a mission that I was supposed to "hurry" to finish so maybe that's it, but it still seems odd.

Melchiah

Fimbulvetr said:
Isn't that implied to be
Liara's father?
APZonerunner said:
Pretty much. In ME1
She says that Benezia never revealed who her 'father' was but she does reveal that she was a pureblood - ie her father was another Asari and not from another race. Purebloods are viewed by the Asari as inferior, which is why Liara gets a lot of slurs off some "pureblood bitch" etc.

Anyway, that woman is in the bar in Illium behind the bar. She talks a little of her long lost daughter who she can't see for various reasons, I think. She's Liara's father.

Ah. Never got to finish ME1, when I had my friend's Xbox on loan, as there was water damage in my apartment, and I had to move out for six weeks. =(

Any other interesting "easter eggs" in those video files?

Dice

APZonerunner said:
I love her line after you shoot that idiot in the foot and he leaves "Poor little dumbass." Then the news report about him later, lol. I love being a renegade.

Melchiah said:

Kasumi wants to ride Jacob like a bronco.

Grunt likes searching for dinosaurs on the internet.

Miranda frequents dating sites, but rejects everyone.

Jack writes emo poetry and submits it to online contests, but it gets rejected for being too emo.

Fimbulvetr said:

Grunt likes searching for dinosaurs on the internet.

Miranda frequents dating sites, but rejects everyone.

Jack writes emo poetry and submits it to online contests, but it gets rejected for being too emo.

There was one guy she didnt reject and told him to meet her in some apartment. They did it. I know it.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Melchiah said:

- Udina likes strippers.
- Anderson has met with Cerberus reps.
- Khalisah al-Jilani gets punched by everyone, and is a lesbian or bi.
- Keeper #20 is boss.
- Miranda is infertile.
- Legion spends a lot of time griefing in online games.
- Tali installed 'Nerve-Stim Pro:Deluxe Edition' in her suit.
- Kasumi cloaks and pervs on Jacob.
- Grunt really likes dinosaurs.

sam27368

Banned
xKilltheMx said:
There was one guy she didnt reject and told him to meet her in some apartment. They did it. I know it.
If my Shepard dies in ME3 due to lack of protection on everyones part I'm gonna be pissed

Melchiah

Fimbulvetr said:

=(

EatChildren said:
- Udina likes strippers.
- Anderson has met with Cerberus reps.
- Khalisah al-Jilani gets punched by everyone, and is a lesbian or bi.
- Keeper #20 is boss.
- Miranda is infertile.
- Legion spends a lot of time griefing in online games.
- Tali installed 'Nerve-Stim Pro:Deluxe Edition' in her suit.
- Kasumi cloaks and pervs on Jacob.
- Grunt really likes dinosaurs.

Weren't those in the personal text files? I meant the video files you can look in
Feron's room in the Shadow Broker's ship

Gvaz

Banned
APZonerunner said:
Pretty much. In ME1

I have no idea how people find this shit out.

I would never have guessed any of this.

Dice

I can't believe I spent $24 on DLC.

Look at what you've done to me! I just love this game so much...

Mithos

Melchiah said:
My Cindy Shepard had her way with Kelly, but still managed to revive the romance with L'iara. Damn shame, neither of them gets me the Paramour trophy. Kinda funny actually. L'iara's photo is in my cabin, yet I can still invite Kelly there for some afternoon delight.

Did you do the Shadow Broker mission before or after going through the Omega 4 relay?

I'm playing through a second time to get Kellys affection, and still wanna keep Liara as a LI for ME3 ^^

Dice

Mithos said:
I'm playing through a second time to get Kellys affection, and still wanna keep Liara as a LI for ME3 ^^
From what I've read, Kelly doesn't count. It just makes you a horrible person.

gdt

Not too big a thing, and it was probably mentioned already, but in the Dragon Age II box (or maybe just Sig Edition?), there's a Mass Effect leaflet promoting "The Arrival".

It's a picture of Earth (I think) with parts of the land on fire/blown up, with the line "The Arrival has begun".

Awesome!

Melchiah

Mithos said:
Did you do the Shadow Broker mission before or after going through the Omega 4 relay?

After. Although I visited L'iara on Illium, and started the mission by choosing the conversation path, before I went intimate with Kelly.

I just hope Bioware doesn't do something devious in ME3, and punish those who romanced with them both.

gdt5016 said:
Not too big a thing, and it was probably mentioned already, but in the Dragon Age II box (or maybe just Sig Edition?), there's a Mass Effect leaflet promoting "The Arrival".

It's a picture of Earth (I think) with parts of the land on fire/blown up, with the line "The Arrival has begun".

Awesome!

Yeah, three trophies for it have shown since ME2 was patched.

Dice

Melchiah said:
After. Although I visited L'iara on Illium, and started the mission by choosing the conversation path, before I went intimate with Kelly.

I just hope Bioware doesn't do something devious in ME3, and punish those who romanced with them both.
Even if they do, you don't do anything with Kelly till the end, so it shouldn't be too much of a pain going back. I really don't think they will since
Kelly is offed if you decide to wait a bit before jumping the relay to save the crew.

Eliciel

Wiggum2007 said:
Okay forget the Faunts, THIS needs to be the ME3 credits song. Complete with 80s movie credits cast montage.

I seriously think that's freaking fantastic it's phenomenal music. I just can't stop listening to this. It's the new Mass Effect anthem. It's just awesome :D

Never be better than Commander Shepard YEEAHH! Sooo much....win, It's biwin! (like Charlie Sheen said in his 20/20 ABC interview XD)

Dice

So I do have some issues, small ones.

First, I wish you could distribute points for team members at some point other than when you're taking them down to a planet.

Second, I hate how the storyline forces you to progress at different unknown points.

Random thoughts:

Not sure if I want to fix my scars. They're just becoming really badass and I look like the terminator with the red glowing eyes. This is too awesome when I'm intimidating someone, but then really off when I'm trying to be nice to a crew member.

Is palladium used for upgrading anything? I have over 350k of it.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
So I'm about to finish a fresh runthrough with no ME1 transfer. Its fun but still really disappointing. Also doesnt help that the default is every lame choice you could possibly make from 1. Plus the story areas are still horrible compared to 1 (nothing nearly as awesome as Noveria's progression) and I giggle every time I see obvious chest high walls.

Dunno if I'll get the DLC. Still waiting for a PC GotY edition.

Melchiah

Dice said:
So I do have some issues, small ones.

First, I wish you could distribute points for team members at some point other than when you're taking them down to a planet.

Second, I hate how the storyline forces you to progress at different unknown points.

Random thoughts:

Not sure if I want to fix my scars. They're just becoming really badass and I look like the terminator with the red glowing eyes. This is too awesome when I'm intimidating someone, but then really off when I'm trying to be nice to a crew member.

I totally agree, on both counts. I liked ME1 more in that aspect, that you had more choices in developing the characters. But I hated the awkward inventory system.

One thing I don't understand, especially now that there are now conversations in the elevators, why there are such lengthy loading times when moving between different parts of Normandy. It's a pain in the ass, when the crew and gear are scattered all over the ship.

BTW, I did fix my fem-Shep's scars, and she looks a lot better now. Works for romance and intimidation; nothing's better than a beautiful woman giving commands. =P

Dice

I had a choice for new weapons training between the assault rifle and shotgun and I picked shotgun. I was thinking I'd cloak and flank them up close, but it was pretty shitty against the collectors. I wasn't paying much attention so maybe I never got around to upgrading it very much.

Melchiah

Dice said:
I had a choice for new weapons training between the assault rifle and shotgun and I picked shotgun. I was thinking I'd cloak and flank them up close, but it was pretty shitty against the collectors. I wasn't paying much attention so maybe I never got around to upgrading it very much.

Do you have the Geth shotgun? I don't remember whether it came with some DLC, but it's pretty good and effective even in long distance.

Mindlog

Can you access character stats through the email terminal? There is a terminal you can use in LotSB.

Dice said:
The Infiltrator really really really benefits from the sniper rifle there. Unless this is a specialized playthrough I'd go back to and replay that mission immediately to get the sniper rifle.

A soldier can get away with using the Viper. A first run Infiltrator needs the Widow.

Dice

Mindlog said:
Can you access character stats through the email terminal?
Only Shepard's.

The Infiltrator really really really benefits from the sniper rifle there. Unless this is a specialized playthrough I'd go back to and replay that mission immediately to get the sniper rifle.

A soldier can get away with using the Viper. A first run Infiltrator needs the Widow.
Too late, already did other stuff. Anyway I read the stats and I think I'll be alright with the Viper. The multiple shots work great when taking out several of the little guys as they flood in. It was really annoying needing to reload every shot and often nearly running out of ammo just because the level layout often works best for sniping the little shits. It is nice to have a canon to blow away powerful enemies but I'll learn to deal. My shotgun only had one upgrade but now it has 4 more so it's pretty bitchin. I went for the last-longer cloak so I can move in reeeaaally far, and back out if I'm not lasting very long in the thick of it.

I also think I'll heal his face. I don't like it now that the scars are coming in on both sides.

Dice

I played the Kasumi DLC. Soooo cool. I put cloak, incinerate, and AI hacking to good use. Speaking of that last one, Level 4 AI hacking is so amazing when you're fighting a ton of mechs/geth. It recharges faster than it wears out so you don't even have to fire a bullet. If your partners have Overload it's total dominance.

I told her to keep the graybox because it might fuck up the Alliance later. Am I evil? Strangely enough, it was the "good" decision and the middleground just agreed with the "bad" decision.

Something weird happened when I had Grunt on my team. I used his team incineration ammo but then I cloaked and ran around behind to melee a bunch of guys and they all set on fire. Maybe it was a coincidence with my partner shooting at the people I was hitting, but it seemed to correlate exactly. Maybe Shepard's guns are real guns.

WTF is this shit?

Playing Lair of the Shadow Broker and when it gets to the
car chase
segment I just get a screen of flickering shades of gray. Everything is still happening, Liara is talking, I can tell I'm moving around and even the little menu pop-ups still show.

I tried running in every resolution and turning off every effect but still nothing. What gives?

Dice

I'll do Shadow Broker next and see how it is for me. For a shot in the dark, some games have massive graphical screwups if you use MLAA or Adaptive MSAA.

I just learned important things about the forced story progression toward the end of the game and the relation to getting everything:

Reaper IFF mission triggers the end. That is where you get Legion and you can immediately do his loyalty mission. If you talk to him to trigger it before you access the galaxy map, you should be able to do it before the IFF is installed and the crew gets captured.

So if you want to do other missions AND have Kelly live (which requires leaving to save the crew immediately) you have to make sure the Reaper IFF is the last thing available you do. There are 19 N7 missions hidden on random planets, so if you want to do those, go look for them.

Also, if you are romancing Liara but want the Paramour, her picture goes down after the last "Can we talk?" before the Reaper IFF and you get freaky before jumping the Omega-4 Relay. So the Reaper IFF mission is the one you'll have to do over, as you'll be ditching that save file and don't even have to do the Legion stuff. The benefit to saving it for last is only to be more powerful and get through the Reaper IFF mission (twice) more easily.

This is where having important choices that impact the future experience become a huge pain in the ass. The only content you should miss from making a decision is whatever that decision changes in the story, not (potentially) a few dozen sidequests and an achievement.

Melchiah

Dice said:
So if you want to do other missions AND have Kelly live (which requires leaving to save the crew immediately) you have to make sure the Reaper IFF is the last thing available you do. There are 19 N7 missions hidden on random planets, so if you want to do those, go look for them.

Are those missions unavailable after the end? Hopefully not, as I don't have pre-IFF save file anymore. =/

Dice

Oh wait, maybe they are. I actually forgot you can keep going after the story, but any loyalty stuff and ship upgrades really needs to get done before the IFF. Interesting choice not keeping old saves. I have about 60 right now. Not just to change directions if I need to but also to replay specific events if I ever feel like it.

I did Mordin's loyalty quest... that was some pretty heavy stuff.
I let him kill the guy but said hold on to the cure data. Maybe I should have just tried to cure it as soon as possible, I don't know.
Crazy how much stuff seems like it will have a major impact on how you face the Reapers in ME3. My approach to the game is that I tend to save innocents but if someone has been killing or working for killers, I don't show them any mercy. I also collect as much to our cause as I can unless it seems like it can be a conduit for Reaper influence. Legion will be an exception.

Melchiah

Dice said:
Oh wait, maybe they are. I actually forgot you can keep going after the story, but any loyalty stuff and ship upgrades really needs to get done before the IFF. Interesting choice not keeping old saves. I have about 60 right now. Not just to change directions if I need to but also to replay specific events if I ever feel like it.

I did Mordin's loyalty quest... that was some pretty heavy stuff.
I let him kill the guy but said hold on to the cure data. Maybe I should have just tried to cure it as soon as possible, I don't know.
Crazy how much stuff seems like it will have a major impact on how you face the Reapers in ME3. My approach to the game is that I tend to save innocents but if someone has been killing or working for killers, I don't show them any mercy. I also collect as much to our cause as I can unless it seems like it can be a conduit for Reaper influence. Legion will be an exception.

Just checked, I still seem to have a pre-IFF save. =) Although, I wouldn't want to revert back to it to be able to complete some side missions. So hopefully they all are available after the main story.
At least Firewalker, and the rendevue at Omega with the Salarian regarding certain information, still show on my quest list. But I don't remember whether it still had the mission to rescue the crashing ship with Geth onboard.

I've followed the Paragon route, and often the choices are completely different I'd want to choose. Perhaps at some point I'll try the opposite, and go Renegade all the way, but it's such a chore to replay a +30-hour game.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Just bought this (PS3) instead of Dragon Age 2... hopefully this was a good choice.

Fucking loved the demo of this.

JoeBoy101

Dice said:
I also collect as much to our cause as I can unless it seems like it can be a conduit for Reaper influence. Legion will be an exception.

If you haven't dealt with or gotten Legion yet,
there is a LOT more to the Geth than first glance (i.e., being Reaper puppets). There will be alot of background for the Geth during his loyalty mission, along with what will probably be a major choice for ME3.

bengraven

Yoshichan said:
Just bought this (PS3) instead of Dragon Age 2... hopefully this was a good choice.

Fucking loved the demo of this.

ME2 is a much, much better game than DA2. At least so far, but 10 hours into DA2 you'd think I would start to enjoy it by now.

ME2 I was in love the second I walked through that gravity-less room in the intro.

Dice

Just finished Shadow Broker, no technical issues. That was undoubtedly the best DLC ever made. Wow.

LIARA 4 EVARRRR! <3

...tho you can immediately go cheat on her afterwards, lol. Makes you feel so dirty.

Melchiah

Dice said:
Just finished Shadow Broker, no technical issues. That was undoubtedly the best DLC ever made. Wow.

LIARA 4 EVARRRR! <3

...tho you can immediately go cheat on her afterwards, lol. Makes you feel so dirty.

Yeah, loved the
view from a top of the Shadow Broker's ship. And I was tempted to invite Kelly to my cabin straight after L'iara's visit, but I just didn't have the heart for it.

I just played Shadow Broker on PS3. Full of glitches on the PS3 version. I beat the game on 360 first btw.

I really wish Liara could have joined my team. I want to keep her as my main love interest for good so badly. She's so hot.. and adorable... and god damnit why was there no romance scene? :( Fuck you Bioware. She was the best in ME1 and the best in ME2.

Dice

Melchiah said:
Yeah, loved the
view from a top of the Shadow Broker's ship. And I was tempted to invite Kelly to my cabin straight after L'iara's visit, but I just didn't have the heart for it.
I went to talk to Miranda afterward. I just shut it down because it was too awful. I was like "Shepard! You filthy bastard!" It should take away your paragon points and give you a "horrible person" achievement.

Dice said:

LIARA 4 EVARRRR! <3

Son of a...

I don't want to download it for a 3rd time, grrr. I had to DL it twice yesterday because during the first, Windows randomly decided it needed to restart to install auto updates. The DL finished after restarting but wouldn't install so I had to re-DL it. It installed fine and everything, it's just that section giving me problems.

Overlord and Kasumi worked fine and they were interrupted by the restart as well.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
JoeBoy101 said:
If you haven't dealt or gotten Legion yet, there is a LOT more to the Geth than first glance (i.e., being Reaper puppets). There will be alot of background for the Geth during his loyalty mission, along with what will probably be a major choice for ME3.

Man Legion was one of the redeeming things about this game. Kinda wish you didnt get him so late and there was interparty conversations.

sam27368

Banned
HK-47 said:
Man Legion was one of the redeeming things about this game. Kinda wish you didnt get him so late and there was interparty conversations.
Legion was literally a story changer. It makes you want to side with the Geth

Top Bottom