• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switching from Android to iOS

OEM

I am thinking of buying iPhone mostly because of the following reasons
1). Apple Pay - finance apps (The bank I deal with is only supported with iOS and its been a year, tired of waiting)
2). Overall app quality in general tend to be better than Android versions
3). Latest iOS update all the time

Now I can buy a pure Android phone to get new updates but I am stuck with Android pay, and its useless right now, where I live. And if I buy latest Samsung phone, I get Samsung pay, which is equally good as Apple Pay but then I am stuck with no OS updates.

So my question is, will I miss all the customization when I switch to iOS? I don't use widgets but I do use Google Now exclusively and Google Assistance. Also custom launcher time to time to make my phone look different.

gamma

1). Apple Pay - finance apps (The bank I deal with is only supported with iOS and its been a year, tired of waiting)

Now I can buy a pure Android phone to get new updates but I am stuck with Android pay, and its useless right now, where I live. And if I buy latest Samsung phone, I get Samsung pay, which is equally good as Apple Pay but then I am stuck with no OS updates.

So my question is, will I miss all the customization when I switch to iOS? I don't use widgets but I do use Google Now exclusively and Google Assistance. Also custom launcher time to time to make my phone look different.

Pretty sure you're the only one who will be able to answer that...

Hoewever I wouldn't get an iPhone right now since new ones are coming in September.

I really wouldn't get an iphone now of all times....big update coming.

Anyway, just switch and see if you like it. If you don't, iphone resale value is insane. Just sell what you get and go back to android. I used to go back and forth a million times but I'm likely sticking with iphone for the reasons you mentioned and plenty more.

But if it's not your bag it won't be a problem going back at all. Never know till you try. I vote get iphone 8. If you don't like it, sell it or return it and get a pixel 2 by then.

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon

You'll still be able to get most if not all of the Google services you like. It won't be as seamless or integrated an experience though.

Shiggy

You'll be back. Siri will not play games with you like the Google Assistant.

Screenshot_20161201-201228.jpg

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
I am happy with my iPhone 7 but yeah, iOS notifications really are dreadful.

Wait what? Are Android's notifications somehow magically better? I've never even thought about the iOS notifications being bad.

Gotta disagree with 2 of your points there.

My Galaxy S6 had almost monthly updates (which were mostly security updates I believe) and now it's on the latest version of Android. iOS gets monthly updates which are also mostly security ones, so I wouldn't expect much difference than what you have now.

As for the quality of the apps, owning both an ipad / Nexus and Galaxy S6, the quality is the same. Actually, some on Android have better features, like Pebble. Not sure what you mean there.

You might miss the customization and Google Now isn't as integrated into the OS as it is on Android. It's more of an app.

Notifications on iOS are garbage.

mlclmtckr

Banned
I also just did this and I'm slowly getting used to it.

Also ignore the people saying wait until September. It's a phone, not a gaming pc.

Costa Kid

iOS notifications will make you come back to Android.
What is so much better about them?

I didn't think there was much more to a notification besides being notified and being allowed the functionality to respond to it?

Edit: definitely wait for September if you're buying an iPhone. There's literally no point in buying a phone a few months before the new one releases packed with new features for the exact same price... unless you don't care.

Kthulhu

Gotta disagree with 2 of your points there.

My Galaxy S6 had almost monthly updates (which were mostly security updates I believe) and now it's on the latest version of Android. iOS gets monthly updates which are also mostly security ones, so I wouldn't expect much difference than what you have now.

As for the quality of the apps, owning both an ipad / Nexus and Galaxy S6, the quality is the same. Actually, some on Android have better features, like Pebble. Not sure what you mean there.

You might miss the customization and Google Now isn't as integrated into the OS as it is on Android. It's more of an app.

Notifications on iOS are garbage.

Pebble is dead fam.

Not sure where you live where Android Pay isn't cutting it for you. I'm in Canada, we've technically had it available here for a while but no banks support it, because they're assholes who have their own contactless payment apps. That's supposed to change now with Android Pay coming packaged with O and most major banks and cards set to support it here.

I guess where I'm going with that is that your bank may have an option to support your need for payment apps even if Android Pay doesn't yet in your area. I get that's not ideal.

EmiPrime

Wait what? Are Android's notifications somehow magically better? I've never even thought about the iOS notifications being bad.

They're not grouped, they take too many steps to dismiss, the animation to bring down the shade is too slow, I don't know if an app has notifications unless I bring down the shade... I could go on.

giphy.gif

Android is better than ever these days.

Android is better but Apple's hardware ecosystem (iPad, watch, computers) is better and you get 4+ years of updates.

Swings and roundabouts.

gamz

I ping pong all over the place and their really is no killer OS (except WP) and it's just what you prefer. Try them all and see what you like. I appreciate the more openness of Android, but IOS and the store is really great.

Does iOS handle default apps the way that Android does? For example, when I click on a twitter link in Chrome on android, it opens up the tweet in my default twitter app. Or if I click a nytimes link, it opens the nytimes app instead of displaying it in the browser. Does iOS do this?

OEM

Not sure where you live where Android Pay isn't cutting it for you. I'm in Canada, we've technically had it available here for a while but no banks support it, because they're assholes who have their own contactless payment apps. That's supposed to change now with Android Pay coming packaged with O and most major banks and cards set to support it here.

I guess where I'm going with that is that your bank may have an option to support your need for payment apps even if Android Pay doesn't yet in your area. I get that's not ideal.

yes I am in Canada, and no bank support Android Pay. And I am with President's Choice. They don't even support it in their app. Only for iOS.

Matty8787

I went from my S7 Edge to the iPhone 7 Plus and I am happy, won't be going back to android for the foreseeable.

Everything with iOS is just simpler, and how everything connects to the wallet makes life a breeze for me...

I have all my store cards, cinema tickets etc connected in one spot and it works without a hitch.

Does iOS handle default apps the way that Android does? For example, when I click on a twitter link in Chrome on android, it opens up the tweet in my default twitter app. Or if I click a nytimes link, it opens the nytimes app instead of displaying it in the browser. Does iOS do this?

Yes, it does.

OEM

I went from my S7 Edge to the iPhone 7 Plus and I am happy, won't be going back to android for the foreseeable.

Everything with iOS is just simpler, and how everything connects to the wallet makes life a breeze for me...

I have all my store cards, cinema tickets etc connected in one spot and it works without a hitch

yaa see. This is pretty big for me.

TheExodu5

Banned
I far prefer iOS notifications to Android. On Android, you can't even customize notificstions to allow sound or not at an OS level. The app has to support it directly. It's ridiculous.

I should mention that I'm on an S7 Edge and would go back to iOS in a heartbeat. I moved away from Apple because I don't like their business practices, but I liked my 6 Plus a lot more than I do my S7.

I disagree. that was the case a couple of years ago but now i find that the andriod apps work better than ios apps

Futureman

I've had both iOS and Android and every time whenever the "big new version" drops it's always like... so what's different? Wait is that a different font on the clock... can't really tell.

Like Google Assistant is huge and it just showed up on my S7 one day, no update.

I'm not outright doubting the "iOS apps are better" but can you provide examples?

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
OP, any plans on buying a new car? You'll be missing out on Android Auto. I just rented a car with Android Auto in it and now I'm not going to buy a car without it.

I have an iPhone and it's honestly night and day, I don't even bother with notifications on the iPhone because of how shitty the experience is. The fact that you can interact with notifications straight from the notification shade is just bliss(ie. Replying to a whatsapp text without having to open the app).

Just little things like a notification on your lock screen not disappearing until you explicitly clear it makes Android feel so much better.

tmespe

Thinking of doing the opposite. Really don't like iOS. Very little customization, and I miss the integration with Google services. A lot of apps don't work properly with Chromecast for instance. Siri is useless compared to google assistant. The UI and notifications are quite bad compared to Android.

The hardware is pretty solid though.

If you own any other apple hardware it might be better, but I only have the iPhone.

They're not grouped, they take too many steps to dismiss, the animation to bring down the shade is too slow, I don't know if an app has notifications unless I bring down the shade... I could go on.

Android is better but Apple's hardware ecosystem (iPad, watch, computers) is better and you get 4+ years of updates.

Swings and roundabouts.

iOS could use grouped notifications but everything else you said is simply false. Pulling down the shades isn't slow and there is an "X" in the top right corner to mass delete notifications. You also can see notifications from your lock screen, as well as being notified from the home screen in various ways.

digdug2k

I really wouldn't let Android is updates bother you that much. You still get security ones. You're just missing "features" most of which have been few and far between in the last few versions anyway. Unless you're and Android developer, but I doubt an Android developer is in the market for an iPhone.

Don't do it op. This piece of trash (iPhone 6) lured me for the last time.
The liberty in the android ecosystem is priceless. With iOS you feel insulted by how restrictive it is.

numble

I've had both iOS and Android and every time whenever the "big new version" drops it's always like... so what's different? Wait is that a different font on the clock... can't really tell.

Like Google Assistant is huge and it just showed up on my S7 one day, no update.

I'm not outright doubting the "iOS apps are better" but can you provide examples?

His bank has an iOS app and no Android app.

superbeau

Neo Member
I've gone back and forth, really iOS and Android are mostly the same in daily function. You spend most of your time in apps not the OS.

Main iOS/iphone strengths for me:
two years of updates with no fail.
No need to compare/contrast a dozen different phones with varying equipment. iPhones are iPhones, what size screen you want?
Dead simple
Its really hard to leave iMessage for me, but if everyone you know is on FB messenger it won't matter.
Accessories and apps are everywhere. Almost everyone supports iPhone most (like your bank)
the 3d touch keyboard cursor movement. its a small thing and works so well.

Android strengths for me:
Finding that perfect phone. Dozens of models to see how they fit. 5" screens are my perfect size and there's no iPhone at 5"
Finding that perfect launcher that works for you.
Just generally being able to play around with it and seeing what you can do.
The google keyboard for android (not gboard) is my favorite keyboard.

I think both OS' have crap notifications so that doesn't matter to me. If your like most people and just go between the browser, twitter, Facebook, and some games. it really doesn't matter what OS you use

Whatever works best for you is the best phone for you

TheExodu5

Banned
One redeeming feature of Android for me is emulation. John SNES + 8bitdo is just a flawless portable SNES experience. If you do any emulation, you might miss Android.

DavidDesu

The Google Keep widget is the only thing I use on my S7 that I can't get on an iPhone. I used to be annoyed that iOS couldn;t control Spotify on my PS4 from the lock screen.... but it does now which is pretty damn nice (I have an iPad mini). There's few reasons to really go with Android, Google's apps work pretty well on iOS, Google Photos still syncs stuff from my iPad etc. The two platforms are so similar.

I do hate the quick menu on my iPad and hate that they separate music controls from other controls, and you need to swipe between the two, when you have THE WHOLE SCREEN NOT BEING USED!!! That's just annoying and user un-friendly.

Otherwise iPhones are probably more solid hardware all round and less glitchy all round. Get the occasional app crash on my phone that just shouldn't happen.

yes I am in Canada, and no bank support Android Pay. And I am with President's Choice. They don't even support it in their app. Only for iOS.
You might want to just wait and see how the next month fares. This, apparently, is supposed to change with Android O's release (though no bank has come out with a major announcement or anything).

http://mobilesyrup.com/2017/05/24/android-pay-canada-may-31-mobile-payments/

Hah:

Update 05/25/17 1:30pm: PC Financial, which works with CIBC, has confirmed the launch of Android Pay in Canada. On Twitter, PC Financial stated that ”Android Pay will be available for the PC MasterCard."

tmespe

Not always in my experience. Sometimes YouTube will open in the browser for instance. Unlike Android there is no way to control this.

Not always in my experience. Sometimes YouTube will open in the browser for instance. Unlike Android there is no way to control this.

Yeah I have an older iPad and it seems to open youtube videos in safari 90% of the time, which I hate. I can't figure out how I can make it use the youtube app every time. I thought maybe the iPhones were better about it or something.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
isn't Car Play widely supported too?

Carplay is honestly junk compared to Auto. Just watch comparison videos on YouTube to see the difference.

Also, Auto has Google Maps compared to Apple Maps on Carplay and Google Maps is just on another level.

EmiPrime

iOS could use grouped notifications but everything else you said is simply false. Pulling down the shades isn't slow and there is an "X" in the top right corner to mass delete notifications. You also can see notifications from your lock screen, as well as being notified from the home screen in various ways.

It's slower than pulling down the notification shade on Android and having to press on the screen twice to mass dismiss by day or swiping and then pressing is slower than being able to swipe away notifications grouped by app. I don't see what's so false about wanting little app icons in the top bar so I know about notifications either.

I hide most lock screen notifications for security reasons and my iPhone 7 unlocks so quickly with touch id that the lock screen isn't useful anyway.

snacknuts

we all knew her

Nonsense.

And if I buy latest Samsung phone, I get Samsung pay, which is equally good as Apple Pay

I don't use a Samsung phone, but Samsung Pay is much better than Apple Pay since it works at something like 95% of card readers and not just ones that support NFC.

It might do it in situations where there is a specific app that can be linked to a specific kind of link like the NYT example you cited, but you absolutely CANNOT set default apps for stuff on iOS. If you click on an address to view it on a map, it will always open in Apple Maps. You can't set Google Maps or Waze to be the default app for viewing map links, just as an example.

Why do you need constant OS updates? Anyway, get a galaxy S8 imo.

Top Bottom