• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EVE Online |OT| of Internet Spaceships

2l1IcTm.jpg

IN EDITING, as of 9/29/17

Current News:

Returning player? Check HERE for details on what you've missed and what's upcoming.

What is EVE Online you say? THIS. IS. EVE.

F.A.Q.

I've heard EVE is hard to get into, why should I start now? Won't I be far behind veterans?

The hard truth is that due to the way the skill training system works in EVE Online, you'll never completely catch up to veteran players, yes. HOWEVER! That's only speaking in terms of breadth. Since each skill caps at level V, there is a maximum mastery in terms of depth. Add that to the fact that each skill level I to V becomes exponentially longer to train and you'll find that you can specialize and be 80% effective very quickly, and equally effective as a veteran in a specific role in a quite reasonable amount of time. Veteran pilots simply have more options available to them.

Just started up a trial, wat do?

Is there a NeoGAF corp?

Technically yes. But it's completely defunct. Please join the "NeoGAF!" (sans quotes) community chat channel in game instead to find currently active NeoGAF members.

------------

Resources:

Many of these sources are pulled from TotalEVE. The ones listed below are the best/my favorites.

Official

EVE Subreddit
Jester's Trek (still useful, but no longer updated)
EVE-Survival
Official Wiki
EVE University Wiki
Evepraisal (loot value calculator)

News/Blogs

Podcasts/YouTube

Tools/Other

----

Old OP Text said:
So there have been a few small EVE related threads over the years, but nothing that lasted very long. While the current EVE NeoGAF guild is pretty much dead, it might pick up some when Dust 514 is released. For now, this thread is for general EVE discussion, no matter what corp or alliance you may be a part of.

I recently got back into the game recently and don't really have anyone to talk to about it, so this thread will also sort of serve as a role call for current (and lapsed) players.

UltraMav

Thank you for posting this. I just started the trial version about a week ago and was searching GAF for a topic about this intriguing game. Hopefully some players pop up here and I can gleam some information to help me with the intense learning curve.

Woorloog

Banned
Ah, EVE online. The only science fiction game that truly delivers what i want. Mass Effect and Halo are fine and great games but they do not have playable space battles.
If i just had a computer capable of running EVE online with max graphics and no other worries, i'd be playing it still. And this time i'd actively try to find PVP battles.

Despite not playing at the moment and not restarting any time soon, i still have a question...
I'm not interested in making money really but is is means to an end, in this case, getting better ships and more equipment for PVP.
How to get that money?
I really don't like mission running or doing deadspace complexes... so what does that leave to me? I'm a pirate and mercenary in my hearth but i need sufficient funds and equipment to start those careers i think. So, how to start getting that money, easily and relatively fast?
(Setting up alternate account is out of question)

I've been doing exploration recently, seriously for the first time. While it can be hit or miss, the hits make it so good. You really get that endorphin shot when finding items worth millions of ISK, much more so than just blowing up ships in missions.

Last night, for example, I had a Combat site escalate to its final conclusion, and I netted a couple implants and faction loot along the way, earning 60million+ ISK easily, and probably closer to 100m or above for around 90 minutes to 2 hours worth of work.

That sort of thing is rarer though - some radar or magnetometric sites you'll have half the containers empty. However, an average radar site in the past few days I've been doing this might give me anywhere from 15million to around 30million ISK.

Depending on how advanced you are, the numbers I'm talking about might not be that impressive, but they're great for me, as someone sitting between 7million and 8million skill points. Things will be even better when I can get into a Tengu (Soon! Though I'll have to be able to afford it.) and do my exploration and combat in those sites all from one ship. For now I have to probe in a Heron, and switch to my drake to complete sites if there are any enemy ships at all.

However, I'm training up Shield Management V which will be done in 2 weeks, and I'll go back to Level 4 mission running in a Raven then for awhile. I used to do that, but I got blown up once and have been cautious ever since, just running Level 3s in my Drake until I got on this exploration kick.

UltraMav

Ran out on my trial tonight and bit the bullet on a one month subscription. Gonna continue on mining and building up funds until I get a better handle on what to do I suppose. If it doesn't "click" for me within this month I'll just let it pass, but so far I find mining while doing other RL tasks really relaxing for some reason. Guess it's the roleplayer in me.

Joined the NeoGAF channel but haven't seen anyone in it yet...

Still have my minmatar pilot around 20M SP. Can fly all minmatar ship minus capital ships. But gave all my stuff away when I left. I knew I should have never done that. I got the urge to fly again.

Ran out on my trial tonight and bit the bullet on a one month subscription. Gonna continue on mining and building up funds until I get a better handle on what to do I suppose. If it doesn't "click" for me within this month I'll just let it pass, but so far I find mining while doing other RL tasks really relaxing for some reason. Guess it's the roleplayer in me.

Joined the NeoGAF channel but haven't seen anyone in it yet...

When I Started EvE way back in 2004-2005 I found mining to be what I wanted to do as well then ... when you get better, you touch to PvP and can never go back! MERC corps are tons of fun. Constant PvP.

UltraMav

I'm tempted to just take one of my crappy starter ships out into lowsec and get the getting ganked part over with so I don't worry about it anymore.

Need to do a LOT more missions before I even think about trying to do anything competitive.

Oh man. So I found a C2 wormhole that had a station in it, but wasn't currently occupied. It certainly hadn't been visited in awhile as there were well over a dozen anomalies and plenty of signatures. Took a really long time to scan down the various sites. Hell, the server is going down now and I didn't even have time to clear everything out over a period of hours.

But I did reap a pretty good share out of what I had the time to do. Over 200 million ISK easily, which is about half my current liquid fortune.

I've always wanted to get really involved with this game but the ratio of downtime to action is a killer. I imagine you need to get wrapped up in corporate politics to be totally engaged but I haven't had the time for something like that in a while.

What's the state of the political landscape in game now, and is it a little more friendly to jumping in and blasting space-bozos for half an hour?

Ianan

Planning on jumping back into EVE soon, but was just wondering something. How long can your account be inactive until CCP delete your characters? Or do they keep your character data always?

Planning on jumping back into EVE soon, but was just wondering something. How long can your account be inactive until CCP delete your characters? Or do they keep your character data always?

They should never delete characters. Hardly any MMO would do that in this day and age. Especially a subscription one.

This tempts me so, I have concsiously stayed away because this game offers exactly what I want, but I am not sure how much it will take from me.

Anyone is watching fanfest stream?
http://fanfest.eveonline.com/en/stream/free

There was security panel just a minute ago and at 17:00 GMT there will be Dust 514 Keynote and it will be available also in Playstation Home

Full Schedule:
http://fanfest.eveonline.com/en/events/evetvschedule

I've been watching some of it.

In other news, I lost 2 Drakes today. Offset by the fact that I got an implant drop worth ~100mil. So it's sort of a wash. Second one I warped into a gate camp of 6+ people in low-sec and podded, so that was closer to a 70mil loss (30mil in implants), not counting what insurance covered. T

he first was me trying to clear out a bit of a DED 5/10 before going back in my BS, was too hard with just the Raven as there was a jamming BS about. Kind of my fault on this one as I was kiting a bunch of stuff over 100km from the gate warp-in when a red Tech 3 cruiser popped up. I warped out, and then came back a bit later and the cruiser must've just cloaked. There's a few more details here, but simply put, with a much better skilled and fitted pilot on my ass, along with the aggro of over a dozen rats, I was pretty much a goner. It was my fault for warping back in at all though after I knew a guy had tracked me and/or the site down.

The second kill I was on my way to null-sec though for the last portion of an escalation from the same series that had a Dread cruiser drop the 100mil+ implant. I'll have to try at some time when there aren't many people on, but I'm sure the drops from the last bit will be worth it if I can just get there and back without getting killed.

So UK subs will only have to pay £9 from 1st May instead of £12.50, due to silly euro exchange rate.

Thats good, I've seriously been thinking about resubbing. But why the hell are you waiting until 1st May?

How extensive is walking in stations now?

Nothing worth speaking of. It's pretty much the same shit as when Incarna launched, though they do have different themes for the different races now. Previously all the stations were identical. You can wait ages for it to load, walk around, and do nothing better than you could not loading it up. It's only you in the tiny Captain's Quarters environment. You can't actually do anything unique there, or anything with other people. Thankfully, ship-spinning is there after being removed for awhile. Way more efficient UI.

God damnit. I bought this game on Steam. I've tried to play it a few times before, but always gotten tired in the tutorial when you drive around and shoot space pirates or what it is.

I love the idea of the game and reaaally want to like it. What do I have to do to enjoy it?

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
Didn't know where else to put it but apparently CCP works with Nvidia on letting us buy graphics cards with PLEXes - link
So I guess if this works out prices are not going back to below 400 million anytime soon

Zona

God damnit. I bought this game on Steam. I've tried to play it a few times before, but always gotten tired in the tutorial when you drive around and shoot space pirates or what it is.

I love the idea of the game and reaaally want to like it. What do I have to do to enjoy it?

If your on a new account try going through Eve University. Then join an active corp that fits your interests. I'd recommend PvP, but try to find a corp that will reimburse you for ships.

Woorloog

Banned
If your on a new account try going through Eve University.

What if you don't accept EVE University's rules? I'm probably the only one who does not. Last i played EVE, i considered joining it, noticed something i could not accept and didn't join (and then there was the inconvenience of having to use external voice chat program, didn't have a headset then).
If you want to get in PVP (and already have grasped the basic mechanics), what then? I've read good things about Red vs Blue though never got around joining them, considered it seriously though.

Gods, i shouldn't enter this thread. I don't have a machine that can run EVE with high graphics nor even smoothly with low settings, i don't want to spend all my time playing it (which would happen should i really start playing it)... yet it is pretty much the game i'd love to play. Sandbox, spaceships. Claims it is "spreadsheets in space" doesn't deter me, i'm just happy to fly around, and preferrably hire myself as a merc, a courier or something or be a pirate.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Heh, don't think I even stayed around long enough to actually get an invite.

Still thinking about trying it again.

Ianan

GAF-Corp. Full of people who care. JK.

It's why I quit out and started my own corp about a month ago. No taxes being shuffled off to a void. I may end up joining Dreddit eventually, but I'm fine sticking around mostly high-sec for now by myself.

In other news, I've earned enough this month to buy a PLEX, which is sort of neat. Actually buying it will take me down to 300mil though, so I'm not sure if I just want to pay for this coming month or not. Had a few things go in my favor that let me get close to a billion from less than 100mil at the start of the month.

And I'd talk about more stuff, but I don't want to dominate the conversation here - there isn't anyone else posting regularly, and I'd rather not be every other post in the thread.

So I bought a PLEX today. I've now officially paid for a month of game time solely with the effort I put into playing the game. That's pretty damn neat.

Don't know if I'll be able to keep it up though - I still have a good chunk of change, but I got a bit lucky with a low-sec exploration site that escalated to null where I got an A-Type module worth ~330mil. I did, however, lose 2-3 ships and was podded once in the process of that escalation, for a loss of over 100mil as well.

Currently doing a bit of Level 4 mission running in a Raven, though I'll probably go back to exploration in a few days. I'm torn between spending 7 days training to get into a Cov Ops frigate for better scanning, or just biting the bullet and spending ~18 days training up Cruiser V to be able to hop into a Tengu for better everything (exploration especially) shortly thereafter. The problem will be getting the funds to actually afford a Tengu, while hopefully being able to pay for another PLEX with ample buffer ISK afterwards. I may just pay for a month and save my ISK so I can get ahead in the ISK battle, and that should allow me to stabilize.

I could also try and gamble my way up with Somer.BLINK, but that's just asking for it.

I don't want to keep this thread alive just by myself, so this is probably the last thing I'll post for the foreseeable future unless other people have things to discuss. It's stupid if it's just my own personal EVE blog. EVE just doesn't seem to be a popular game on GAF.

Anyway, was in a C3 wormhole earlier today. Accidentally got Drake blown up doing an anomaly. I was nearly done with the site at that time though, so instead of buying another Drake and fitting it all out, I grab my missioning Raven. (I should note that for the few hours I had been in the WH scanning and working on this one site, there wasn't anyone around). Go in, take armor damage while having to warp in and out to finish off these last two battleships.

Finally take them out, and I come back in my cheapo looting/salvaging destroyer (Cormorant). About to loot the last thing in the anomaly and out of nowhere comes a stealth bomber and a Loki. I'm the idiot for not having checked D-Scan, as I felt I was fairly safe, but oh well. Get one-shot by a bomb, but I was able to warp out in my pod fine. Not like that made much of a difference as I was using a jump clone without implants for scenarios like this, rather than risk losing an extra ~25 mil in implants on top of whatever ship losses.

When I checked the kill-mail it said I lost about 80mil in salvage/loot which was fairly devastating as losing a Drake for the day was already bad enough. At least the loot gods screwed my attackers over, only dropping about 15mil for them - none of the nanoribbons dropped.

Guess I'm going to avoid wormholes for awhile again, and if I do go into one, to make sure to really scope it out and check if it's abandoned, as well as to only take on a C1 or C2. C3 solo is just not worth the effort/time with what I typically fly right now.

Ianan

I'm seriously terrible at PvP on this game. Got my ass handed to me in a Hurricane vs a Maelstrom, I know its a battleship etc but it seems like the biggest ships always win. How true is this, if at all? Currently training up Missile Operation level 5 to use my Torpedo's and plan on rolling out in a Scorpion or Rattlesnake (If I can afford it by then).

Edit: Forgot to mention, I joined up in RvB over a few days but never felt like I was learning anything. Just blobs of us getting in to fights against blues and the squad leader calling out primary, secondary and tertiary targets constantly. Think I'll give EvE University a go perhaps!

Mindlog

I think I am going blind -_-

There's a lot of overlap with what the FGC went through recently. Probably worth a post in Gaming.

This entire week, we've received dozens of harassing emails and tweets about how the Goonswarm believes that we (as a site) practiced poor journalism, sensationalized the entire event, and painted The Mittani in a negative light.
That doesn't sound like something Goonswarm would do.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Okay. So I've been playing for 2 weeks now, I think. I started one char and played through the tutorials and I started another one and have now played through the tutorials and now exploring the galaxy one agent at a time.

So far my impressions are good. I love the character creator. I love the ships and I love the combat. It's basicly everything I wanted Star Trek Online to be but couldn't be. I even like mining even though I don't nearly have a good enough ship to do serious mining.

What I want to know is: what am I supposed to do? My current goal is focusing on a corperation and do quests for them and slowly but surely getting my skills leveled up. But... I want to know if there's any thing I'm missing or is it this "invent your own fun"-kind-of-game?

Zona

Your-Own-Fun
"Endgame" Would probably be getting involved in one of the larger alliances. They tend to be PvP focused but all have a place for the miners and industrialists.

Onemic

I'm still waiting for the right expansion pack to hit before I jump in. I really want the walking in stations thing to be the fully featured concept they were talking about at fanfest a few years back. The captains quarter thing is bullshit.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Found an old 60 day game card and re-activated. What's the first-to step to do in terms of basic catch up for someone who has been inactive since 2008 (queued up a bunch of skills to last a day for now)? :p

Gvaz

Banned
Everytime I try to play this game I just go "wow this is really pretty" then log out because everything you have to wait for or just requires a lot of effort

Everytime I try to play this game I just go "wow this is really pretty" then log out because everything you have to wait for or just requires a lot of effort

Lol. I know what you mean. I'm definitely going to jump back in (for a short time per usual) when Dust is released.

Guess I'm going to avoid wormholes for awhile again, and if I do go into one, to make sure to really scope it out and check if it's abandoned, as well as to only take on a C1 or C2. C3 solo is just not worth the effort/time with what I typically fly right now.

I remember having similar encounters in WHs, a few times I was able to bribe my way out a situation. Early on, the risk/reward simply wasn't worth it. After giving exploration a rest, I joined a null-sec corp and then later drop from them because the leader was a douche. Then I simply lost interest in the game. I still want to pilot a Tengu though -_- (I think I'm less than a month away from completing the training required)

Derrick01

Banned
I've wanted to play this game for the longest time but it's intimidating. Plus it seems pretty dead on Gaf.

I don't know maybe in the summer I'll crack when there's nothing else to play.

Onemic

Thinking of coming back for Inferno after this guys stream made me want to play again.(he streams like 10/24 hours of the day) I need a gauge of how many gaffers currently play or are planning to come back for around May as well. Lets make a corp and take over the galaxy!

Played this game for a good while, got burned out, came back for a bit when Gaf last had a go at it, but it fizzled. Resubbed a month ago not sure what to do, got treated like shit in some big pirate corp's recruiting channel, had a horrifying revenge fantasy about it that I won't recount here, and canceled my sub. This game is great if you can get together a good group of folks to play it, but that can be tough. It gets hugely boring if you just hang out in high security space running low level missions. For anyone who does start out or pick it back up, the sooner you are out doing stupid shit in lowsec or 0.0 with cheap frigates and cruisers, the better.

Onemic

Played this game for a good while, got burned out, came back for a bit when Gaf last had a go at it, but it fizzled. Resubbed a month ago not sure what to do, got treated like shit in some big pirate corp's recruiting channel, had a horrifying revenge fantasy about it that I won't recount here, and canceled my sub. This game is great if you can get together a good group of folks to play it, but that can be tough. It gets hugely boring if you just hang out in high security space running low level missions. For anyone who does start out or pick it back up, the sooner you are out doing stupid shit in lowsec or 0.0 with cheap frigates and cruisers, the better.

Well that goes without saying. The game isn't really made for you to be solely doing that stuff. It's like 1% of the actual game. The equivalent of that would be hanging out in Silvermoon all day doing random city faction dailies.(WoW talk)

Oh, I'm in a Tengu now after getting my last Drake blown up in low-sec on the last stage of an escalation the other day by a random guy in a Curse (heavy neuting by him, and I got caught off guard approaching enemy ships - had I been where I was not 2 minutes earlier, I would have been out of range and could've warped away). It did take him quite awhile to kill me though... Not only did I take the ship loss there, but whatever the loot would have been from that site, easily over 100mil. Kind of crushing.

All-in-one exploration fit is definitely much more efficient than taking a prober and a Drake, but I have yet to find anything good. A day or two before the low-sec loss, I almost died (2% structure) to a DED 4/10 in Amarr space, being neuted to hell by tons of NPCs. Which caught me a bit off-gaurd, though I could probably handle it if I had been paying more attention. Lost out on any loot in that site as well, as at least that type in particular despawns if you leave or cloak for more than a few minutes.

The Tengu is pretty damn sturdy, but I have to be careful that I don't lose it, as I really can't afford to replace it at the moment. The tank is roughly equivalent or slightly better/worse than the Drake, though at the moment the damage is a bit worse. It is more agile and can also scan better than a T1 prober though, so that's the current tradeoff.

I still have a Lvl 4 mission-running Raven if I get really screwed to fall back on though.

Onemic

Oh, I'm in a Tengu now after getting my last Drake blown up in low-sec on the last stage of an escalation the other day by a random guy in a Curse (heavy neuting by him, and I got caught off guard approaching enemy ships - had I been where I was not 2 minutes earlier, I would have been out of range and could've warped away). It did take him quite awhile to kill me though... Not only did I take the ship loss there, but whatever the loot would have been from that site, easily over 100mil. Kind of crushing.

All-in-one exploration fit is definitely much more efficient than taking a prober and a Drake, but I have yet to find anything good. A day or two before the low-sec loss, I almost died (2% structure) to a DED 4/10 in Amarr space, being neuted to hell by tons of NPCs. Which caught me a bit off-gaurd, though I could probably handle it if I had been paying more attention. Lost out on any loot in that site as well, as at least that type in particular despawns if you leave or cloak for more than a few minutes.

The Tengu is pretty damn sturdy, but I have to be careful that I don't lose it, as I really can't afford to replace it at the moment. The tank is roughly equivalent or slightly better/worse than the Drake, though at the moment the damage is a bit worse. It is more agile and can also scan better than a T1 prober though, so that's the current tradeoff.

I still have a Lvl 4 mission-running Raven if I get really screwed to fall back on though.

Is the GAF corp still running?

Is the GAF corp still running?

Nah, not as far as I know. I've been out of it for 2 months now, just in my own one-person corp. Personally, I'll probably join up with Dreddit/TEST Alliance eventually, but there's a few things I want to finishing training and doing, as once I move out to null in Dreddit, there probably isn't much coming back, especially with war decs and the like - it won't be safe for my main in high-sec anymore.

Onemic

Nah, not as far as I know. I've been out of it for 2 months now, just in my own one-person corp. Personally, I'll probably join up with Dreddit/TEST Alliance eventually, but there's a few things I want to finishing training and doing, as once I move out to null in Dreddit, there probably isn't much coming back, especially with war decs and the like - it won't be safe for my main in high-sec anymore.

if you're gonna stick around long term, I'll join up once Inferno hits.

if you're gonna stick around long term, I'll join up once Inferno hits.

I can only guarantee being around until the end of May (my sub/PLEX is at the end of each month and I am renewing in a few days here.) With Diablo 3 coming, I don't know when I'll next play EVE with that out. I'd have to divide time between that, and playing enough EVE to PLEX each month (ideally). So I'm really not sure right now.

Top Bottom