• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Kiseki / Trails (of the Sky/Zero/Ao/Sen/Etc) Community Thread: SPOILERTAGS OR DIE

Thanks Falcom, I guess you wanted to get the new fans to experience the despair that is
a cliffhanger ending from back in the FC days.

FUCK

I mean, there was CS1, but that didn't feel as painful as this one.

Also,
Jusis, Laura, and Alfin on a one-way trip to suffering with Rean in front. Not cool.

Lol yep. Sen 3 ending spoilers
Worst part IMO is just how abrupt it all ends. I've said it before in this topic but its literally like mid cut scene where you think something else is about to happen. My guess is Crow or someone is going to help save Rean and Class 7 will escape. Several things from the interviews have yet to happen such as the students being mad at Rean.

PK Gaming

My problem with it is that a lot of the less remarkable tracks get used an absolute ton, while many of the best tracks are used infrequently and backloaded. It has 90 tracks but it manages to feel like significantly less. Judging by track names, I'm guessing I've heard about 72 tracks by now, but it feels closer to 50. There aren't as many tracks that I can see myself regularly listening to out of context as in most other games in the series.

Persona 5 suffered from the exact same issue, haha. It had the largest OST in any Persona game, but was incredibly repetitive when it came to song choice. Pretty much every major scene had this song.

That's a shame, especially since CS1/2 were so much better with their soundtrack.

preta

Persona 5 suffered from the exact same issue, haha. It had the largest OST in any Persona game, but was incredibly repetitive when it came to song choice. Pretty much every major scene had this song.

That's a shame, especially since CS1/2 were so much better with their soundtrack.

I think FFXV was worse than either with regard to this.

OrionX

CS1 Ch. 4 continued: *wanders into
jewelry store in Heimdallr*

People:
"Look at this crimson tiara on display! It's a national treasure worth 100 million mira! <3"

Me:
*Blueblanc warning bells everywhere* Mhmm... good luck with that.

*1 hour later*
"Help! There's been a robbery!"
-_-

Gu4n

I was expecting this one, which was the other half of the game.

Lol yep. Sen 3 ending spoilers
Worst part IMO is just how abrupt it all ends. I've said it before in this topic but its literally like mid cut scene where you think something else is about to happen. My guess is Crow or someone is going to help save Rean and Class 7 will escape. Several things from the interviews have yet to happen such as the students being mad at Rean.
(Sen III end)
I thought it was a cruel, but great way to end the game. Unless they planned this, which I feel they did, I do fear that Sen IV will end up as another Sen II, where padding and action is emphasised over world-building. Also, the angry students thing already happened. Juna gave Rean slack throughout the early chapters and North Ambrian exchange student Valery treated Rean with contempt for most part of the game - though, that's partially how stoic she is, I guess.

I've said this before, but imagine (Zero spoiler)
Zero would've ended on the moment Demon Joachim grabs the party and before Renne arrives. That would've made the Ao teaser even more terrifying than it already was.

ToC II - Just finished the first fight against Duvalie, is the general conscious she's pretty much the same as Marie from P4:G, they even share the same VA I think?

PK Gaming

ToC II - Just finished the first fight against Duvalie, is the general conscious she's pretty much the same as Marie from P4:G, they even share the same VA I think?

No, definitely not

Duvalie is actually a good character, while Marie is the Persona equivalent of Poochie

They do share the same VA, yea

No, definitely not

Duvalie is actually a good character, while Marie is the Persona equivalent of Poochie

They do share the same VA, yea
DLZ5jk1W4AEYUL0.jpg:large

ResourcefulStar

Neo Member
Duvalie is the best thing to come out of Ouroboros thus far, as far as I'm concerned (although I haven't played the Crossbell games yet). I wish the rest of them dressed sensibly and took their positions seriously. Maybe I'd be able to take them seriously.

PK Gaming

IJAKURq.png

Further proof that if Xseed doesn't get Sen III, it'll be a huge blow to its quality. Xseed removes superfluous dialogue and unnecessary laughs constantly, and it just now hit me how big of a deal that was (not to mention making appropriate changes).

Come to think of it, I'm not really in love with the source material; i'm in love with Xseed's version of these games.

even with my weak japanese I caught how much fufu and aa was happening in the writing while watching streams. Its like every single sentence for 4 characters straight has one of those.

Jiraiza

Japanese writing is weird in general. I'm not sure if it's a cultural thing, but they rely on repetition in their writing too much, and it does get pretty tiring to read after awhile. At least, this is what I've noticed with anime mediums; can't comment much on actual literature over there.

Japanese writing is weird in general. I'm not sure if it's a cultural thing, but they rely on repetition in their writing too much, and it does get pretty tiring to read after awhile. At least, this is what I've noticed with anime mediums; can't comment much on actual literature over there.
XSEED and 8-4 have both talked about their efforts to make conversations more natural by removing the japanese repitition, so it at least seems common enough that localizers take notice and try to avoid it. However it also seems like (based on the response to sen 3) that japanese gamers are pretty tired of it as well.

Granted I'm inferring a lot off of some amazon reviews there.

PK Gaming

Like I cannot imagine running around as Estelle and co and seeing the characters go "fu~fu" on a constant basis. Hatsuu made a point of mentioning they kept that quirk for certain characters (like Schera)

And dialogue that's less straight to the point...

Anoxida

I played about 70% of the 1st chapter a while back, enjoyed it but I think I got sidetracked by some other game. Is there a good video summary of the story for first chapter? Cuz I'll probably just jump into second chapter.

Nyoro SF

I played about 70% of the 1st chapter a while back, enjoyed it but I think I got sidetracked by some other game. Is there a good video summary of the story for first chapter? Cuz I'll probably just jump into second chapter.

Highly recommend you finish playing the first chapter. Otherwise 70% of the second chapter will feel like a waste.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Lucky me that I still suck enough to not be qualified to actually judge the JP writing(I probably would need to start reading actual books not just games to get there) on that level yet. Ways to go way to go... Just being happy for now to be able to absorb all important info during each lengthy kiseki session.

Jiraiza

Like I cannot imagine running around as Estelle and co and seeing the characters go "fu~fu" on a constant basis. Hatsuu made a point of mentioning they kept that quirk for certain characters (like Schera)

And dialogue that's less straight to the point...

I personally wouldn't mind listening to Estelle's VA forever because she's that amazing. Though I don't think there's much you can do about "......" filler dialogue until they find a way to focus on a character's reaction in a gaming narrative. Improving the models to allow for unique gestures from character to character and the like would be one way to go about things, but they don't have an unlimited budget to spend all their time on that level of detail, unfortunately. Playing with camera angles could work, too.

Anoxida

Highly recommend you finish playing the first chapter. Otherwise 70% of the second chapter will feel like a waste.

How come? Any ways turns out I was way closer to the ending than I thought. I had already reached and done some stuff in the last city so. I'll just read up on the final scenes. Dont have my old save file any way.

How come? Any ways turns out I was way closer to the ending than I thought. I had already reached and done some stuff in the last city so. I'll just read up on the final scenes. Dont have my old save file any way.
thats unfortunate..you are really really missing out if you dont play through that ending.

Whatever you do don't just read a summary.

One of us could see if we have a save file in the last city.

Loz246789

Looking at my own pc saves, I have a random save
in the middle of the sewers as Joshua, Olivier and Zin
, and another save a little later
just before the optional-to-beat super boss
. Now obviously having a save a little further back would be ideal, but these two are just before shit hits the fan... I think, so if no one else has better you could read a summary up to a point, then have one of mine?

Side note: the saves are on route to getting all the side quests, but not all the books, if you care.

Shouta

The laughs and snickering in the dialogue is totally fine. In fact, they're very much welcome because they provide a bit of characterization to the characters. It's actually weird not to include them as it feels a little more unnatural. The problem with it is that they give it an entire box to itself. It should be a part of of another set of dialogue to make it flow better unless it's specifically meant to be separate and then called out.

Dialogue isn't particularly repetitive when you get into the core content it's just their segways are. I mentioned it in the Sen III thread but &#12356;&#12378;&#12428;&#12395;&#12379;&#12424; is used A LOT in Falcom games. I first really noticed it in Zero and Ao but I think it probably was there in Sky. Cutting back on that and other overused phrasing and using other ways to transition the conversation would go a long way.

Ascheroth

I have like a gazillion saves, surely there is one at the point you stopped.
I would really advise against just reading a summary of the last stuff, you're going to regret it.

I just need to download again to check them out :p
But I refuse to believe that we won't find anything fitting among those 220 save files :D

Anoxida

I have like a gazillion saves, surely there is one at the point you stopped.
I would really advise against just reading a summary of the last stuff, you're going to regret it.

I just need to download again to check them out :p
But I refuse to believe that we won't find anything fitting among those 220 save files :D

Oh now I feel bad I've read this https://lparchive.org/The-Legend-of-Heroes-Trails-in-the-Sky/Update 67/ for last half an hour or so. So I would guess I need a save around the point at the beginning of this the page in the link.

This guy's summary is amazing though. It's almost like playing, you miss out on music and some animations. (dont really care for the battle system so no huge loss there)

Ascheroth

Oh now I feel bad I've read this https://lparchive.org/The-Legend-of-Heroes-Trails-in-the-Sky/Update 67/ for last half an hour or so. So I would guess I need a save around the point at the beginning of this the page in the link.

This guy's summary is amazing though. It's almost like playing, you miss out on music and some animations. (dont really care for the battle system so no huge loss there)
This file here is from the end of the page you linked.
This one is a bit earlier from before
delivering the message to the castle.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
The last chapter of FC is one of the strongest points of the (English PC released) series IMO. I'd strongly recommend against just reading a summary and skipping it.

lisaeves

Neo Member
there were a *ton* of 'hmmhmm's in FC (and SC i think) before 3rd were released, but brittany went through and removed most of them. i liked that little mannerism for schera, but it was freaking everywhere.

ResourcefulStar

Neo Member
Speaking of Rean and stores, I wonder how he feels whenever he walks into a grocery and sees
a price tag of 50 mira on something
after the events of CS II.

A quick look about the Japanese internet and it was interesting to see Japanese fans talk not only about the series moving to Calvard, but Arteria after that.

Kalor

A quick look about the Japanese internet and it was interesting to see Japanese fans talk not only about the series moving to Calvard, but Arteria after that.

It seems inevitable since we don't know that much about the church. If you want to have a big series ending arc then putting it where the church is would make sense since you could answer a bunch of long standing questions about it. There's not many other established places the series could go either. Leman State and Remiferia are the two that are probably brought up the most besides Arteria, though we've already had a small bit of Leman State in SC.

Gu4n

Well, where else would it move to? North Ambria has been involved in the Erebonia arc, Remiferia is introduced through Akatsuki, leaving Calvard (and Ored) next, and Leman (and Arteria) for the series' conclusion.

Thud

Well, where else would it move to? North Ambria has been involved in the Erebonia arc, Remiferia is introduced through Akatsuki, leaving Calvard (and Ored) next, and Leman (and Arteria) for the series' conclusion.

Yep. Unless Falcom wants to include Eastern Zemuria all of a sudden :p

Top Bottom