• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

JosiahB

Naples here. The mobile home I live in with my parents was fine, thank God. Rest of the neighborhood wasn't so lucky, extensive damaged all around. Looks like a bomb went off. Based on the amount of downed lines I saw on the way home, we'll be out of electricity for a decent bit.

Currently trying to get some water brewing for some tea, head is killing me.

Going against the grain of reports here, but got power here in Gainesville, and as far as I'm aware we never lost it for a significant period of time if at all. Some flooding, a few fallen trees, but nothing major happened in my immediate area. Not sure about campus.

Parents and friends and Lee County didn't lose anything either, which is amazing since most were staying in Zone A and there were fears about losing homes.

Astral

Not only does it suck not having power but I have to walk so far from my house to even get signal on my phone. I feel so cut off from the world. I don't even know what's going on with my friends or family.

III-V

I've stayed at my parents during it. The water came halfway into their garage, and half their neighbors had water in their houses. So they got lucky. It's here in ft. Pierce. My house is 5 minutes away and I fear I have water in my house. The flooding is still too high sk I can't get to it yet.

damn hoping for the best

breakfuss

I am honestly shocked Tampa having kept power so well. The legend of 'Tampa can't get hit' continues.

when it does we are so screwed

TECO reported ~330K outages. Not sure if that's relatively good or not. I know mine hasn't been restored.

RBH

Really glad that turned out to be essentially nothing for Sarasota. Never even lost power.

The only damage done was me telling this girl I love her incase the hurricane kills me.

image.php

Going against the grain of reports here, but got power here in Gainesville, and as far as I'm aware we never lost it for a significant period of time if at all. Some flooding, a few fallen trees, but nothing major happened in my immediate area. Not sure about campus.

Parents and friends and Lee County didn't lose anything either, which is amazing since most were staying in Zone A and there were fears about losing homes.

About half of Gainesville lost power it looks like. I wonder how long it will take to get it back. In 2004 I think some people were out for 10 days.

J.W.Crazy

We never lost power here in St Augustine and surprisingly there doesn't appear to be any major damage. Even the tree that had it's roots lifting up out of the ground with every gust is still standing.

Heard from my brother that our place in Ocala is fine, just a big mess. Huge relief. Few other people I know are fine so far too. Now I've just got to find out if my job is still there in Wildwood.

Glad it seems so many were spared the worst.

About half of Gainesville lost power it looks like. I wonder how long it will take to get it back. In 2004 I think some people were out for 10 days.

Yep, I was there for that one. In a shitty apartment with cinder block walls painted over with old lead paint.

Talk about sweating.

Berordn

And here I was, hoping for some good to come of this.

Still no power, but no major damage outside of my traumatized cat and the backyard fence. My car did narrowly miss a tragedy with a tree limb, however.

ascii42

Starting to get gusty in Warner Robins. I'm sitting on my back porch watching the storm and already heard a tree limb crack and fall.

Barzul

Honestly it's looking like overall, the state held up pretty well. I know damage is still being assessed but it looks like manageable and not catastrophic.

Yikes. Gonna be a long week then...

I was 13 at the time and we never lost power that time, so my memory is a bit iffy, but power came back pretty fast for the first hurricane. It was until the third one that people were out for 10 days. Unless you're in a rural part of the area I wouldn't worry. If Jose comes this way then it might be time to start worrying.

My parents still have power in Tampa, they never lost it. They got some water in the outside utility room but that was pretty much it. I'm very thankful they are ok because they decided last minute to ride out the storm.
I'm hoping everyone else here is safe.

It’s crazy how useful Snapchat is. There’s a girl in my neighborhood from Tampa walking around and snapping houses with tree damage and such, glad ours hasn’t showed up yet phew.

TheZink

Just got word my house is ok. Was forced to evac on Friday. A neighbor just a few houses down was not so lucky.
Hopefully I can head back tonight to see for myself.

didn't get much of anything in bradenton. my parents fortress has been without power since around 9 last night, but apparently my shitty ass apartment kept power entirely throughout.

Gamerman1

Had power last night but it was flickering and going off for a second then back on a few times. I shut main power off so I wouldnt blow out AC or appliances and went to bed at 4am. Woke up at 830 and no power. Lines are all up. I see the issue on pole near community entrance. Branch is stuck across two line breakers and a transformer. Bet it would short out when wind pushed it a certain way once it shifted direction. Power is on up the road on left side.

Zero shingle loss or damage. Same for neighbors. Very thankful. In Wyndtree, Trinity area New Port Richey.

p2535748

Still no idea on my parent's place, but there are a few pictures from right down the road, and it looks like tree damage and some street flooding, but not much else, so I'm cautiously optimistic. The pool cage is probably damaged, but considering they got a direct hit when it was still a Cat-3, that seems like a small price to pay.

Sadly, they're in a community with mostly older people, so not much snapchat coming out of there.

Just wanted to say Im glad it seems like most of Florida survived pretty well. My thoughts and prayers go out to any and everyone that were affected heavily by Irma. Hope we can all recover quickly.

Glad everyone is ok. I grew up in hurricane territory so I'm pretty used to these, but I haven't been this worried about a hurricane in a long time

Alive but no cell signal or electricity. Had to drive out just to call people and post this lol.

Be safe all of you and lets hope recovery is fast.

daveo42

Banned
Parents said they haven't had power since 12pm yesterday in Palm Bay, but no real damage or flooding in their area. They are in the process of cleaning up after the hurricane.

Buddy just back to us about our house we closed on 2 days ago in Tampa. House went completely untouched. Old man groot(Monster tree in our back yard) just left a few small branches in our back yard. Can’t wait to actually move in and get my game room set up. I’m so glad most of us are doing ok. Gonna be driving back down to FL this afternoon. If we run low on gas and can’t find a pump, I’ll be counting on You Gainesville Gaf for some temp shelter 😉

Lkr

LTE never been this slow. Back in 2004, nothing worked and in 2017, we get 2007 speeds. Trying to view the Duke energy power outage map and can't even get the page to load

Top Bottom