• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Waypoint Thread: Vice City Stories

Jintor

I really love the more we hear from Rob the more you get the impression he's this incorrigible drunkard who just holds it together pretty well

What is the gaming site that didn't condemn GamerGate that was referred to in episode 102?

Are you talking about when Patrick said he used to work at a place that didn't come out on them hard enough? I might be getting it wrong, but I don't think he meant they didn't condemn them, just that they weren't as invested in fighting against that as he wanted them to be. I don't know where else he's worked at besides Kotaku and Giant Bomb...

bigkrev

What is the gaming site that didn't condemn GamerGate that was referred to in episode 102?

It also took Polygon a long time. Frank Cifaldi is blocked by most of their staff because he tore into some writers on the site for not taking a stand.

Hasney

Dammit, the 101 on Wolfenstein is making me want to try it yet again. I find the controls really floaty using M+KB and the weapons in the opening chapter lack weight as well. Might have a look around to see if there's anything that fixes that because the sensitivity isn't enough.

I have such a weird relationship with Wolfenstein TNO. Two times I've started playthroughs and one part or another of my PC have died resulting in a reformat and losing the saves.

This time I just downloaded a save and started at the last chapter I had finished. Now I think I'm 2-3 chapters from the end and really enjoying it.

I probably won't buy The New Colossus at launch but it'll definitely be something I'll play once it goes on sale.

BTA

I had a suspicion so I decided to check just to be sure, and I was sadly right.

In case you were wondering if there are Gamergaters angry at Joystiq because Arendt said that despite the fact that they eventually did publish something against GG: yup. Apparently feeling that your place of employment didn't speak up enough despite the fact that they said anything makes you a hypocrite?

maped

Neo Member
Dammit, the 101 on Wolfenstein is making me want to try it yet again. I find the controls really floaty using M+KB and the weapons in the opening chapter lack weight as well. Might have a look around to see if there's anything that fixes that because the sensitivity isn't enough.

I know what you mean, when I tried playing the game the first time a couple of years ago I stopped in the first chapter and only continued on now. Thankfully the guns in the first chapter aren't completely representative of the rest of the game but still it seems there is something a bit off with them (also make sure mouse smoothing is disabled in game and Windows and maybe try disabling v-sync). I think the game works quite well as stealth- and cover style shooter where I try to stealthily pick off enemies for as long as I can and then clear the rest with aimed headshots moving from coverto cover. I pretty much never use the dual guns because of how much they slow you down and how quickly they chew through ammo.

edit: Also, on-topic, I've been listening to my backlog of podcasts and the last maybe month of Waypoint Radio has been really excellent. I've been a fan from the start but lately they've just gone from strength to strength. Special mention goes to Rob who I could just listen to talk about anything for hours.

I always liked Rob when he would pop up on gamers with jobs, but since hearing more of him on waypoint my appreciation has really skyrocketed. Best story teller in the biz?

I think I need to start listening to Idle Weekend

Idle Weekend is a really good chill podcast and suits Danielle and Rob's style to a T. If you still can't get enough of Rob and have even a passing interest in strategy games, I'd also recommend giving Three moves ahead a shot, in addition to insigthful analysis there are some great war stories told by Rob.

I really love the more we hear from Rob the more you get the impression he's this incorrigible drunkard who just holds it together pretty well

I always liked Rob when he would pop up on gamers with jobs, but since hearing more of him on waypoint my appreciation has really skyrocketed. Best story teller in the biz?

I think I need to start listening to Idle Weekend

BTA

That statement is actually better than I was expecting, good on Jeff

Yeah, the issue isn't/wasn't the quality of the statement; it was more that it was posted in October. There was a few days where suddenly several big sites decided to post (largely vague) statements about it then. It very much felt too little too late, particularly when the reason for the 2 month delay in doing it largely seemed to be "we didn't want to validate it by giving it attention" which... sure, I guess, but that means nothing if people are suffering due to tons of harassment even if it isn't "valid".

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
There's a lot of sites with skeletons in their closets, too, and are worried saying anything would have folks open them up and see what's there. Especially with regards to harassment.

Mr. F

Banned
Rob's "the people getting mad must be the ones getting suckered" was a weirdly tone deaf takeaway on the loot crate thing. Feels like it does a disservice to an otherwise valid anxiety about where things are going with games and shitty/cynical monetization. Granted this was also intermingled with them discussing people's tendency for backlash on forums/twitter, so maybe it was a joke that I misinterpreted.

All the same I haven't spent a cent on crates in my time playing games and I'm still a bit antsy seeing how prevalent they've become. Especially as games are already expensive as is here in Canada, the thought of boxes being so invasive as to affect the game or progression itself beyond cosmetics is a huge bummer.

LaNaranja

Yo I just saw a thing called "Waypoint Presents" as I was flipping through channels and I was like holy shit someone stole Austin's schtick. Then I put the channel on and holy shit Austin is on TV. You made it Austin. You fucking made it. I was way more giddy and excited to see that then I should have been.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
This latest episode is very strange?I like the direction. The ad break was weird as fuck though
Yeah, the ad break was poorly done and reminded of music breaks in really early episodes of Retronauts, in which it seemed like the person just wasn't too familiar with how to edit so an episode sounded smooth. I like this new direction because the podcast has been feeling slightly repetitive from week to week for me, and having explicit topic episodes are a nice way to diversify the show.

spiritfox

They need to have some sort of enforced break if they want to put ads in the middle of the podcast. Just cutting it off like that is pretty jarring.

But I do like the new format. It does feel like sometimes there's nothing new to talk about with 2 podcasts per week.

BTA

This latest episode is very strange?I like the direction. The ad break was weird as fuck though

I haven't listened yet but didn’t they say in an earlier episode that the ads were automatically inserted or something?

Seems like a bizarre way to go about that.

Mr. F

Banned
Lol yeah I came to see if others were feeling the same, the ad break is literally mid sentence.

I wasn't familiar with her work on the idle network podcasts but I'm not totally feeling Danielle's approach to hosting. Also I've kind of noticed rob isn't one to interject much on the podcast, maybe a side effect of being remote but I honestly forget he's there for long stretches.

Joeku

I haven't listened yet but didn’t they say in an earlier episode that the ads were automatically inserted or something?

I think some crazy futuristic podcast app with region-targeting ads can do that...but not the one I use, Overcast. It's just the same others have mentioned.

jaina

yeah their hosting provider is managing the ad sales. Their website talks a lot about advertiser features (https://www.acast.com/about, https://www.acast.com/advertisers) but also touts "full control of ad placement". So could just as well be an human editing/publishing mistake.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
I wasn't familiar with her work on the idle network podcasts but I'm not totally feeling Danielle's approach to hosting. Also I've kind of noticed rob isn't one to interject much on the podcast, maybe a side effect of being remote but I honestly forget he's there for long stretches.
Re: Danielle's hosting and Rob's involvement in this episode, immersive sims in general and Prey in particular are topics that they've wrung dry on Idle Weekend, and I think that showed in the quality of the conversation here. This felt a bit more like a chat and grumble than a real discussion.

BTA

I think some crazy futuristic podcast app with region-targeting ads can do that...but not the one I use, Overcast. It's just the same others have mentioned.

I meant before it goes out (as in, audio file is uploaded and it automatically shoves the ad in before it’s distributed), not on the fly in your podcast app!

Joeku

I meant before it goes out (as in, audio file is uploaded and it automatically shoves the ad in before it’s distributed), not on the fly in your podcast app!

Yeah but the latter sounds much more insidious and capitalistic so it has to exist, right?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Danielle is a fine host, but I would really like Rob to host more. He's a really good podcast host on Three Moves Ahead, good at guiding conversations and injecting follow up questions to keep up momentum without letting other speakers dominate too much

Joeku

Danielle is a fine host, but I would really like Rob to host more. He's a really good podcast host on Three Moves Ahead, good at guiding conversations and injecting follow up questions to keep up momentum without letting other speakers dominate too much

Welcome to my thinking about all of Idle Weekend.

The Technomancer

Does anyone have any good recommendations for podcasts like Three Moves Ahead or this recent Waypoint Radio, i.e "subject" based rather than "weekly roundup"? Idle Weekend never quite did it for me

Anno

Does anyone have any good recommendations for podcasts like Three Moves Ahead or this recent Waypoint Radio, i.e "subject" based rather than "weekly roundup"? Idle Weekend never quite did it for me

Maybe check out Watch Out For Fireballs. Its mainly for older games but each episode (and sometimes multiple episodes) focuses on deep discussions of individual titles.

I'm really enjoying this more focused Friday approach, but, man, they need to work on that ad placement. Waypoint Radio is available now from anywhere on the Internet--listen today. It just gets inserted anywhere and is hella jarring to the conversation flow; it'd be unbearable if the breaks were any longer.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
The ad break was actually really funny to me because it felt like the kind of ad breaks they do on crime dramas, where Austin revealing that stalker being included as an immersive Sim is the evidence that will break the case wide open.

I almost could hear a "dun dun"

Idle Weekend is a really good chill podcast and suits Danielle and Rob's style to a T. If you still can't get enough of Rob and have even a passing interest in strategy games, I'd also recommend giving Three moves ahead a shot, in addition to insigthful analysis there are some great war stories told by Rob.

I listened to TMA years ago but stopped because my impression (at the time) was the Julian lead podcast it was turning into was worse than the Bruce & Tim podcast it was. I should give it a fresh shot now.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Hope we have a show about the situation at ND. Vile.

The Technomancer

I listened to TMA years ago but stopped because my impression (at the time) was the Julian lead podcast it was turning into was worse than the Bruce & Tim podcast it was. I should give it a fresh shot now.

TMA is one of my favorite podcasts now yeah. Rob is really good as a host and their broad definition of "strategy game" that their regulars and their guests always treat as worth diving into keeps it refreshing

Brakke

Banned
I subscribe to Three Moves Ahead and end up deleting about half of them. I just have no interest in the super intense Gettysburg-simulation style wargames. But I always listen if they hit a game I do play or might play, or for more accessible games like Tooth and Tail or Shadow Tactics. They've been on a good run of those less intense games lately.

Danielle is irrepressibly cheery and that’s great for the most part, but if she’s going to be hosting regularly in the future she needs to tone the giddiness waaaaaay down. Hopefully the intensity of that Friday ep was just because they were covering a topic she’s super passionate about, but it really felt like the others were struggling to get a word in, and by the end were just exhausted by her energy. The flow was pretty bad.

Mr. F

Banned
Danielle is irrepressibly cheery and that’s great for the most part, but if she’s going to be hosting regularly in the future she needs to tone the giddiness waaaaaay down. Hopefully the intensity of that Friday ep was just because they were covering a topic she’s super passionate about, but it really felt like the others were struggling to get a word in, and by the end were just exhausted by her energy. The flow was pretty bad.

This was my takeaway as well, and why I wasn't really feeling her approach to hosting (or maybe the level of preparedness?). I honestly have a hard time remembering her contributions as they're interspersed between a lot of "oh wow haha gee hahaha *pun* ahah yep good great, alright. haha."

But as others have mentioned, this topic has been exhausted on other Idle network shows so maybe it was just a bad one to start with for these focused shows.

maped

Neo Member
I don't think the problem with the podcast was Danielle hosting, I think her work in Idle Weekend speaks for itself, it's more their format. They try to keep the podcast to a tight hour, usually without any leeway and that just isn't enough for four people to have a nuanced discussion on a topic+emails+usual shenanigans. Austin and Patrick tend to naturally dominate the discussion and Rob has his storytimes so it's usually Danielle who doesn't get a word in edgewise (though they've gotten progressively better with this). The problem with Fridays episode (which I enjoyed nonetheless) was mostly just having too little time to first setup the premise of the discussion and then have all four say something meaningful about a subject obviously near and dear to them.

I think it might be worth trying to change to a three-person format, that would give some more room for each personality and has worked for them in the past and when someone has been out. Also, more Danika. Always more Danika.

Catvoca

Banned
Damn, Patrick is sounding super down on the new South Park game and his opinions on the show generally line up with mine (including really liking Stick of Truth). Guess I won't be playing it until it's very cheap!

Sou Da

Damn, Patrick is sounding super down on the new South Park game and his opinions on the show generally line up with mine (including really liking Stick of Truth). Guess I won't be playing it until it's very cheap!

Eh, to be fair Dan Ryckert said he had similar thoughts at first but it's apparently just a slow start.

Top Bottom