• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored: Death of The Outsider |OT| The Other Side of The Coin

burgerdog

This thing is running at 60fps locked(up to level 2 so far) with most settings at ultra/very high on a 970/3750k @ 1080p and 85fov. What a drastic difference over Dishonored 2.

epmode

Now that Dishonored 2 is no longer stuttering horribly, I've been tearing through it so I can start this. I hope it's good!

Porcupine

So, if you're playing a no kill run, can you NOT complete all the
contracts
? Because a lot of them are
hits.

I was pleased that
killing the dog
in the contract for level 1 didn't count at least...

I'm going to assume this isn't a spoiler, since it's been featured heavily in the game's promotional material.

I want to know this, too.

Mission 2's contract wording is explicit. I've been trying to do a no kill run, but I'm still trying to figure out a few of the contract's puzzles. I managed to complete one, but it was inherently a no-kill contract.

I've got 4 hours in and I'm not finished with Mission 2. I am in love with this game! I've been exploring, trying to figure out contracts, and taking me time at tackling the mission objectives. This franchise has been so outstanding and it has garnered multiple playthroughs for me, which is a rarity; I normally consume and then move on.

You can't do a no-kill run AND fulfill all the contracts. You have to kill some guys for the contracts. Dogs don't count as a kill.
In opposite to the previous games, there is no achievement for doing a no-kill run,there is only an achievement for not killing anyone in a single mission. There is also an achievement for not being spotted in the entire game, but you can kill people and there is no combined achievement for no-killing and not being spotted.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I wanted to start this yesterday but I'm halfway through both a Civ VI and XCOM 2 campaign and it feels weird to just drop them and start playing a new game. I'll hopefully finish those up in the next week or two so I can dive into the Dishonored universe once again...

Truant

Only at the second mission, but I like how they handled the branching story of D2. Reminds me of
Bioshock Infinite.

Audioserf

I'm really loving the removal of the mana meter. Nothing better than having the quick displace bone charm equipped and zipping carelessly through levels, gives the game such an active feel.

Also, I think Rosaria Dawson's Billie is just a better character than either Emily or Corvo, so I'm really enjoying her voiced reactions to things in the world.

It's just such a great thing to come back to 10 months later to remind you why Dishonored 2 is one of the best games of all time.

CHC

Started a second playthrough with the express purpose of fucking around.

Turns out for the first mission contract you can use a
hook mine to snatch the white dog right through the vent, straight into the room with the two hanging Overseers. From there you just walk on over to the oven and toss him in

Also, shooting
the red button that opens the dog cages onto the boss of the bathhouse
... that was delightfully evil.

Just beat the 2nd mission. I spent a bit of time having fun in
the bar. I realised I could only take people out the front door and there's two contracts there, so I was having fun knocking everyone in the bar out.
I'm in love with hook mines.

I'm still sad that Daud isn't playable because he's still my favourite, but Billie is pretty good so I can not be too salty about it.

By far the best lore the series has had. Which is good, because it's probably the weakest level design of the series. Too many chokepoints and narrow passageways with minimal alternate routes, powers are required, too many enemies who stand in one place and need to be knocked out or distracted (extremely finicky with the way Dishonored 2's AI works). Since most of my playtime in Dishonored 2 is finding reliable no powers, no knockout, no detection routes through each level and I think it has some of the best level design in any stealth game, Death of the Outsider is kind of a disappointment.

burgerdog

So it seems like games that are perceived as DLC completely bomb. Uncharted TLL thread is tiny compared to the numbered releases as well. I hope this won't be the last Dishonored game.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Since most of my playtime in Dishonored 2 is finding reliable no powers, no knockout, no detection routes through each level and I think it has some of the best level design in any stealth game, Death of the Outsider is kind of a disappointment.

tenor.gif

Turnstyle

You can't do a no-kill run AND fulfill all the contracts. You have to kill some guys for the contracts. Dogs don't count as a kill.
In opposite to the previous games, there is no achievement for doing a no-kill run,there is only an achievement for not killing anyone in a single mission. There is also an achievement for not being spotted in the entire game, but you can kill people and there is no combined achievement for no-killing and not being spotted.

Thanks for clearing that up - good to know. Well, looks like I'm going to have to break with my usual dishonored play style, but it'll be worth it to play these contracts...

So it seems like games that are perceived as DLC completely bomb. Uncharted TLL thread is tiny compared to the numbered releases as well. I hope this won't be the last Dishonored game.

Uncharted TLL absolutely did NOT bomb.

Also keep in mind the much smaller budget of something like Lost Legacy and Death of the Outsider. They're much cheaper to make than their full game counterparts. Hence the cheaper price and the need to sell less overall than the full scale games. Not to mention they get to re-use assets and technology when making these smaller games that are offshoots from Uncharted 4 and Dishonored 2.

It's a bummer. I like how Billie's powers are built around working together, but they seem to have built the levels too much around "hey try out Foresight + Displace." It's cool but definitely doesn't lend itself to as much variety in power use/ not using powers at Dishonored 2 did. I guess being able to telefrag people constantly would have been overpowered, but that it knocks you down rather than being a strong combat tactic is especially a missed opportunity.

burgerdog

Uncharted TLL absolutely did NOT bomb.

Also keep in mind the much smaller budget of something like Lost Legacy and Death of the Outsider. They're much cheaper to make than their full game counterparts. Hence the cheaper price and the need to sell less overall than the full scale games. Not to mention they get to re-use assets and technology when making these smaller games that are offshoots from Uncharted 4 and Dishonored 2.

That makes a lot of sense and I hope you're right because we need more Dishonored games, or just Arkane games in general.

EvB

So great to go back to the Dishonored universe.

I’m playing on Xbox One, I think there must be some dynamic resolution stuff going on.
It goes from looking pun sharp and better than the last game to looking really really soft.
Not jaggy, but blurry

usp84

In mission 3 what is the point of the sanination area?There is just a dumpster there and nothing to do...

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
It's a bummer. I like how Billie's powers are built around working together, but they seem to have built the levels too much around "hey try out Foresight + Displace." It's cool but definitely doesn't lend itself to as much variety in power use/ not using powers at Dishonored 2 did. I guess being able to telefrag people constantly would have been overpowered, but that it knocks you down rather than being a strong combat tactic is especially a missed opportunity.

I generally play Dishonored no powers/alarms/kills (I've done D1 psycho-style once before D2 came out), so it's a wee bit disappointing to hear that the levels aren't as robust in supporting that style. I really liked the idea of taking on a God with nothing but my wits!

Still, it's not a deal breaker by any stretch. So long as I can play around with the systems in interesting ways, I'll have fun with it.

You'll love Prey, it's amazing.

Good to hear, my man.

Osahi

How many missions are there? I finished
the archives, and I think the next one is the last, correct?

CHC

By far the best lore the series has had. Which is good, because it's probably the weakest level design of the series. Too many chokepoints and narrow passageways with minimal alternate routes, powers are required, too many enemies who stand in one place and need to be knocked out or distracted (extremely finicky with the way Dishonored 2's AI works). Since most of my playtime in Dishonored 2 is finding reliable no powers, no knockout, no detection routes through each level and I think it has some of the best level design in any stealth game, Death of the Outsider is kind of a disappointment.

My thoughts are similar after 1 playthrough. I really enjoyed learning a little more about the Outsider, and I also really liked the last mission - it was cool to see
some more natural environments, and then later, some trippy magical stuff like the gigantic library
. But overall the levels felt a bit more linear and restricted than in series' other games.

I will admit though, there are more routes than I initially thought now that I've started a second new game. Like the
tattoo parlor for instance - you can actually use Foresight to creep through a the vent and put a Displace marker on the other side of the window, then just teleport right in. I also discovered another interesting door at the bottom of the canals that you can open with a crank

In mission 3 what is the point of the sanination area? There is just a dumpster there and nothing to do...

Get in
the dumpster, look to your right, shoot the red button behind the barred window, and strap in for a ride

How were you actually meant to work this out? I felt like the code was on the fight/forfeit board but couldn't parse it.

You can pickpocket a note off of a dude in the baths that tells you how to work it out.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I had like less than an hour to play last night. Played 20 mins of this and 20 mins of Metroid: Samus Returns.

I'm already liking Billie/Meagan (didn't like her much in D2). Her VA did a solid job and I like how she comments on every little note/inspections, which is an expansion of how Emily would occasionally comment on things in D2 but its much more expanded here.

Hope they continue that trend. While I don't like characters who monologue, this game is doing it to establish lore and history instead of giving the player clues on how to solve puzzles.

I can't wait to play more but I'm going out tonight.

Hale-XF11

So happy to be playing more Dishonored. Right away, the game looks even better than D2, especially the lighting and atmosphere. Everything looks and runs great on my PS4 Slim.

CHC

Oh my God.... Mission 2 spoilers:

I wound up doing the
"kidnap the bartender" contract undetected in the funniest fucking way. I walked around in the eyeless bar hiding behind cover and throwing flammable liquor at all the patrons. They were all searching but I was walking around in the open. It was like fucking Clue or something, expect I slowly eliminated everyone but the bartender by just burning them alive one by one
..... SHOCKED that it worked....

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Is it possible to play through this expansion completely WITHOUT using any of the powers that you have in the game or are you required to use them? Thanks.

Lizardus

In Mission 02, does
getting a tattoo
have any consequences?

Also, I'm liking this contracts system.

Performance on my PC is way better than D2 as well.

uh, so my amazon royalty check auto-deposited at some point. So it was just enough of what they owed me to buy this on GMG.

Gonna stream my first playthrough, on my twitch

TitusTroy

This thing is running at 60fps locked(up to level 2 so far) with most settings at ultra/very high on a 970/3750k @ 1080p and 85fov. What a drastic difference over Dishonored 2.

that's good to hear...it's using the same engine as D2 so they must have optimized it like crazy since then

In Mission 02, does
getting a tattoo
have any consequences?

My hunch is that it gets you through
the front door of the Spectre club, or w/e that club is for eyeless. The patrons say 'oh you must be new I've never seen you here before.' I entered through the second floor through the singers house, and was greeted with 6 very hostile people. But then everybody downstairs was friendly. You have a contract to kidnap the bartender so if you want to do the contract it seems important or at least makes it easier

Spoiler is related to a contract on mission 2.

locke_21183

Neo Member
This is strangely reminding me of Shovel Knight DLC, Plague Knight. In that I got really good with the mechanics of the original, then this introduces new mechanics that make moving around just that little bit more fiddly. And I stubbornly want to play with the original mechanics instead so refuse to devote much effort to the new ones, so get unreasonably annoyed when this makes things really difficult and I keep dying.

It's good though!

While I thought the level design in the 2nd mission was great, I'm not liking it as much in the third mission. I feel like they bottled you up with set paths at least in how you approach the
bank
and the
auction area
. In the
auction area
there is seemingly one way to do this and that's it, where as DIshonored 2 seemingly would have given you 3 ways to get to an objective in a specific area. That area, also, only seemingly has 1 way in and 1 way out, which is unusual for a dishonored game... I was expecting there to be a back hallway or something.

For those that finished: about how long is the game?

I'm very slow with most of these games... but for some comparison, I'm at 6.5 hours and I'm just at the start of the third mission. I'm super slow, discover everything try to be stealthy first play through though. I didn't finish mission 2 for like 5.5 hours.

Top Bottom