• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo: new Super Mario for Wii U, Reveal at E3 [Update: Based On E3 2011 Game]

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
The gameplay was great, but everything else was bland, indeed.

I still don't understand why Nintendo is not making a good, real 3D Mario game in a somewhat sandbox in the Mushroom Kingdom.
Who says they are not? I think Nintendo realizes that like Legend of Zelda, 3D Marios are more core-gamer oriented. Anybody looking for innovation/HD-level graphics should wait for the 3D Mario that is inevitably being made.

An open-world Mario would indeed be amazing.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
All I'll say until we see the game revealed is:

1. Nintendo games DO undergo complete visual overhauls based on sudden decisions. They've admitted this happened with several games, including Skyward Sword.

2. If it turns out they're NOT using the "new" brand name, and the game is not called New Super Mario Bros. Mii, odds of it not even using the prototype graphic set are higher IMHO.

If their official hint is that the game is "based on" what was demonstrated at E3, then it could be a 2D Mario game that's merely 4 players. Past that, might be very different game from NSMBWii.

Gaborn

I think the people that are pointing out "based on" doesn't necessarily mean "identical to" are right.

I also am surprised that people forget the obvious - it wasn't THAT long ago that E3 gave us a 2D Mario AND a 3D Mario. Just because 2D Mario is being confirmed now does not mean we won't see a 3D Mario game at E3 too.

Sadist

I think the people that are pointing out "based on" doesn't necessarily mean "identical to" are right.

I also am surprised that people forget the obvious - it wasn't THAT long ago that E3 gave us a 2D Mario AND a 3D Mario. Just because 2D Mario is being confirmed now does not mean we won't see a 3D Mario game at E3 too.
Yup.

I'd be shocked if we didn't hear anything about EAD Tokyo during E3.

Cipherr

/shrug, I had a blast playing NSMBW with 3 other people. That shit was exactly what I expected LBP co-op to be, 4 people in a room screaming loud as hell getting in each others way and whatnot having a blast. Sort of easy for me to believe it sold so much. It was very good and what it did. A sequel is a no brainer.

Edit: Wait what? People are acting like 3D mario is dead just because a new 2D one is being made? One that we knew was coming when it was shown last year?

Never change....

Kai Dracon

/shrug, I had a blast playing NSMBW with 3 other people. That shit was exactly what I expected LBP co-op to be, 4 people in a room screaming loud as hell getting in each others way and whatnot having a blast. Sort of easy for me to believe it sold so much. It was very good and what it did. A sequel is a no brainer.

Edit: Wait what? People are acting like 3D mario is dead just because a new 2D one is being made? One that we knew was coming when it was shown last year?

Never change....

3D Mario games sell millions and have proven to have a reliable audience. Nintendo is still making games in franchises that sell less than 3D Mario.

I think it's a given from this point out, that Nintendo will continue to make 3D and 2D Mario games on every platform.

1. Nintendo games DO undergo complete visual overhauls based on sudden decisions. They've admitted this happened with several games, including Skyward Sword.
I think an even better example would be Yoshi's Island. Nintendo asked Miyamoto to change his art direction to look more like Donkey Kong Country; in retaliation, Miyamoto complied with the order to change the art direction - and went in the complete opposite direction, making it look like a little kid drew everything. As you can surmise, that's what we wound up with, and it was hardly a bad change.

Wiz

This makes me think back to EAD not developing another Super Mario Galaxy because they ran out of fresh new ideas.

If this turns out to just be another New Super Mario Bros, I'd hope they bring a lot of fresh new ideas and gameplay mechanics. I love NSMBWii, but I'm having trouble thinking what more they could add to it to make it a unique experience.

Grymm

Banned
This makes me think back to EAD not developing another Super Mario Galaxy because they ran out of fresh new ideas.

If this turns out to just be another New Super Mario Bros, I'd hope they bring a lot of fresh new ideas and gameplay mechanics. I love NSMBWii, but I'm having trouble thinking what more they could add to it to make it a unique experience.

Miis. And DLC. And DLC for your Miis.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
But who wants a Super Mario game where you play as a Mii? I play games to get away from everyday life, why would i want to play as myself?

You can still play as Mario.

yeah for now,...

i also don't like the general DIRECTION this seems to be going in...

i get that they are trying to "connect" with their audiences but imo Nintendo games should remain fantasy games, not grounded in the real world at ALL, it's what i (and many others i'm sure) love about them..

Sure this is probably just a Mii that you can or can not select if you don't want to, but i am kinda scared what would be the next logical step if this proves to be a success with the casuals, achievements(which wouldnt even bother me that much though) and real time facebook updates in my Mario games? ;)

ok overreaction mode off!

But who wants a Super Mario game where you play as a Mii? I play games to get away from everyday life, why would i want to play as myself?

If they expand Miis to have neat customization options (like giving them a blaster or jump really far) it could be neat.

That said, I would rather have my tribute to SMB 2 and be able to play as Peach this time. Heck, add a whole stable of characters. Wario, Donkey Kong, etc.

And make Wart the villain damnit.

Kai Dracon

http://www.betanews.net/article/560078

Use google translate = Super Mario 4

Hmmmm.....

I really always felt that "New Super Mario Bros. Mii" was more or less a mock-up game to go with Wii U's original unveiling, to gauge response. Given the response to Mario 3D Land, wouldn't be surprised if internally, Nintendo flipped the switch from "New" branding to "classic Mario". They do this shit you know. They've loooooong had a reputation for developing multiple playable prototypes internally then killing several off in favor of whichever one looks right for the market at that exact moment.

EuroMIX

If they expand Miis to have neat customization options (like giving them a blaster or jump really far) it could be neat.

That said, I would rather have my tribute to SMB 2 and be able to play as Peach this time.

Yeah, that was one of my gripes about NSMBW; lack of Peach/any female character. The second Toad felt so unnecessary, and I was surprised that they didn't at least make it Toadette to add some level of variety.

Peach was may favourite to play as back in SMB2.

Of course, since NSMBW made all of the characters control the same to add a level of balance, it wouldn't have made much of a change to the gameplay and would have been purely aesthetic.

Also, given the choice, I prefer 3D to 2D Mario, purely because since World Mario has been given weird "floaty" physics which I struggle to get on with. For some reason I never had any issue up till then. Also, I prefer the general set-up to 3D Mario what with more open stages and typically lack of time limits allow me more time to drink in the environments.

They do this shit you know. They've loooooong had a reputation for developing multiple playable prototypes internally then killing several off in favor of whichever one looks right for the market at that exact moment.
I was more under the impression that they shelved some of them in case the idea had merit, to be brought back later. I mean, obviously they outright axe some ideas, but as I recall they like to take the good things from even their failures.

EeuroMIX said:
Yeah, that was one of my gripes about NSMBW; lack of Peach/any female character. The second Toad felt so unnecessary, and I was surprised that they didn't at least make it Toadette to add some level of variety.

Peach was may favourite to play as back in SMB2.

Of course, since NSMBW made all of the characters control the same to add a level of balance, it wouldn't have made much of a change to the gameplay and would have been purely aesthetic.
In retrospect, it would've been a pretty cool reward for beating world 8 to unlock playable Peach.

yeah for now,...

i get that they are trying to "connect" with their audiences but imo Nintendo games should remain fantasy games, not grounded in the real world at ALL, it's what i (and many others i'm sure) love about them..

Sure this is probably just a Mii that you can or can not select if you don't want to, but i am kinda scared what would be the next logical step if this proves to be a success with the casuals, achievements(which wouldnt even bother me that much though) and real time facebook updates in my Mario games? ;)

Fuck overreaction blah blah blah. NO MiiS goddammit!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!
:p
Miis are fugly as fuck and they will not fit in a beautiful Mario game. Miis SUCK Nintendo. Miis are only useable as an avatar for a save file. As even that is stretching it.

ALSO: FOCUS ON ANTI ALIASSING. Graphics without jaggies instantly look 100 times better.
Go watch the Dolphin thread for reference.

Thanx a bundle. I knew i could talk some reason in to you Ninty.

Who says they are not? I think Nintendo realizes that like Legend of Zelda, 3D Marios are more core-gamer oriented. Anybody looking for innovation/HD-level graphics should wait for the 3D Mario that is inevitably being made.

Open world mario sounds terrible. Mario and great platformer work the best when the entrance and the exit to a level are controlled. Letting the players have a choice would be almost impossible to ensure everyone has all the gameplay tools to solve the problem at hand.

Fuck overreaction blah blah blah. NO MiiS goddammit!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!
:p
Miis are fugly as fuck and they will not fit in a beautiful Mario game. Miis SUCK Nintendo. Miis are only useable as an avatar for a save file. As even that is stretching it.

ALSO: FOCUS ON ANTI ALIASSING. Graphics without jaggies instantly look 100 times better.
Go watch the Dolphin thread for reference.

Thanx a bundle. I knew i could talk some reason in to you Ninty.
Actually, I really hope this game supports 1080p. All the promo shots Nintendo put out last E3 topped out at 1280x720. I suppose could understand a graphical powerhouse maxing out at a lower resolution (because Lord knows we've had that situation tons this generation), but something as graphically simple as New Super Mario Bros. should not be too taxing to run 60FPS natively on even mediocre hardware at 1080p.

EuroMIX

Open world mario sounds terrible. Mario and great platformer work the best when the entrance and the exit to a level are controlled. Letting the players have a choice would be almost impossible to ensure everyone has all the gameplay tools to solve the problem at hand.

I still think that 64 went the best way about it. The Galaxy games were great, but often felt too linear in mission structure, especially 2. I like that in 64 there are many different orders to play and a veteran player can collect stars in very unorthodox orders to give the game more variety.

Actually, I really hope this game supports 1080p. All the promo shots Nintendo put out last E3 topped out at 1280x720. I suppose could understand a graphical powerhouse maxing out at a lower resolution (because Lord knows we've had that situation tons this generation), but something as graphically simple as New Super Mario Bros. should not be too taxing to run 60FPS natively on even mediocre hardware at 1080p.

I agree. They should easily be able to make this game run at 60fps, in 1080p AND with good aliassing.
What they showed at E3 should look NOTHING like the final product. It hd horrible art direction, weird ugly textures, NO anti aliassing, only 720P and Miis.

AzaK

Let's not forget that a full game, while still being based on a tech demo, can look extremely different.
And this is probably a bad example, because in this case, a lot of people would have prefered that Nintendo stuck to the look of the tech demo...
I'm just saying, things can change.

zeldahr.jpg
I'm not one of them at all. Wind Waker was a revolutionary Zelda IMO. Nintendo were very bold to go with the style like that and I think it was just wonderful. I'd love to play another console version with the graphic style.

E3 mode in full swing it seems!
Under 8 weeks left!

You ain't seen nothing yet.

Redford

aka Cabbie
yeah for now,...

What irks me is that it seems like a calculated move to dilute the character of Mario games. Wait, it doesn't seem like it, it is. That's why Wii Sports was received warmly. If it had been Mario Sports, sure people would have loved it still, but probably been sort of... embarrassing for non-gamers to play, I guess. Simply because they would be ignorant to the characters and series tropes. Obviously everyone knows who Mario is, but...

If they're going to bastardize the series this way, they might as well make it a totally generic platformer. But obviously that makes no sense from their perspective.

Yup.

Open world Mario set in the Mushroom Kingdom, with a similar core design setup as Zelda (but instead of puzzles, the 'dungeons' would be intense platforming segments), would be absolutely phenomenal...

A man can wish, can't he?

Grymm

Banned
If they're going to bastardize the series this way, they might as well make it a totally generic platformer. But obviously that makes no sense from their perspective.

What platformer is a more generic platformer than 2D Mario games?

Yup.

Open world Mario set in the Mushroom Kingdom, with a similar core design setup as Zelda (but instead of puzzles, the 'dungeons' would be intense platforming segments), would be absolutely phenomenal...

This has really great potential. Maybe that's how they can structure the next game in the Super Mario World series if they ever go back to it.

Tookay

Yup.

That would be great but it feels like Nintendo has no interest in making that kind of game anymore. Even the recent Zeldas have moved away from it.

This has really great potential. Maybe that's how they can structure the next game in the Super Mario World series if they ever go back to it.

It's exactly how I envision an ambitious, next-generation Mario title that encompasses the best elements of Galaxy mixed with the expansiveness of Mario 64, all wrapped in a package that has the diversity, adventure, and character of a Zelda title.

It would simply be.... game of the forever, most definitely.

While I've enjoyed the recent mario games and the galaxy series, I haven't felt the sense of amazement at how much the genre has advanced since the Mario 64 days.

I'd give anything for the feeling of playing Mario 64 again for the first time, but for the next-generation of consoles.

That would be great but it feels like Nintendo has no interest in making that kind of game anymore. Even the recent Zeldas have moved away from it.

Yeah, sadly this is the case.

What I want as a core gamer does not jive well with Nintendo's recent focus on accessibility. It's why the NSMB games sell so much more than the more hardcore 3D mario games, and I'm simply not a fan of the former while loving the latter.

Top Bottom