• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

If people want to play in a ranked list that is about team work, awesome. They need to not be in party chat. If they want to be in party chat, they can play other playlists. They have options still, and it encourages team work and communication in the ranked lists. Yay.

He was my first boy crush. #dearlivejournal

what ranked lists?

;)

also, im sorry but what? disabling party chat doesn't automatically mean teamwork and communication is gonna start happening. i don't know what games you've been playing lately but in MW2's competitive playlists (which disable party chat) i would go a hundred games before getting people who worked together and communicated. and those hundred games involved me muting everyone else. that old community comradery and fun is gone from console games, and im pretty sure party chat is not the reason. disabling a feature that so many people like is not gonna bring the old days back.

Hell naw. I want to be able to ask my best friend how his wife and kids are doing without being harassed by some 8 year old. Party chat is a godsend.

Vire, you silly goose. Halo 4 is rated "M for Mature"! You'd only be playing against at worst late teens. I mean, c'mon... You crack me up.

Yea restricting party chat so you have to talk with your team would be a really good move to reinforce the theme that this time rank is going to matter. They really need to reinforce that theme a lot this game though. Its not a move that makes everyone happy, its a realtalk move.

Start with solid weapon starts. Don't force loadouts like AR+Pistol. Dont make shitty maps give us a solid five maps with an equal amount of objective flag and bomb in with slayer gametypes (Similar to MLGs weightings actually) These maps need not be super large but arena symetrical smaller dongblain maps. I don't wanna see 4v4 on Tempest sized shit. Stupid. Don't give us insanely vertical maps (SwordBase sucks Oddballs) Give us real compettive maps with cool jumps and useful lines of sight. Moderate the insane amount of crap weapons and crap powerups AA's Armor Abilities, armor powerups specilizations, perks, powerweapons, score streaks so we can play some good old fashioned predictable no aces in the sleeves Halo.

It'd only matter in the more competitive playlists where you probably should be talking about the game and not how your day was.
My issues with can be divided up into play with a party and by yourself.
Playing with a party: Not a big deal in a game like Halo because of the 'Team & Party' option, bit is incredibly annoying in a game like COD where you are talking with your team of 6 and then when the game is over and you're back in the lobby, all of the sudden you have the others teams chat punching you in the ear when you're trying to talk to your party/friends.
Playing solo: I rarely use a mic when I play solo, and if I do it's usually to get into party chat with a friends who is not in that game with me. If those restrictions are in place, I can't talk to my friend, or I simply can't enter that playlist, which I feel is a mind-numbingly stupid decision.
There's gonna be ranked something, and I'd prefer if it disabled party chat.
Maybe.

Hopefully without putting words in his mouth, I fee Frank has been pretty clear that 343 thinks that attempting to have a system/environment with as little of cheating/cheesing as possible is their priority over having a ranking system in the game. The last we heard, they were working on ranks that only you can see, which doesn't necessitate the need for separate "ranked" and "social" playlists in that case, as all playlists can be "ranked".
also, im sorry but what? disabling party chat doesn't automatically mean teamwork and communication is gonna start happening. i don't know what games you've been playing lately but in MW2's competitive playlists (which disable party chat) i would go a hundred games before getting people who worked together and communicated. and those hundred games involved me muting everyone else. that old community comradery and fun is gone from console games, and im pretty sure party chat is not the reason. disabling a feature that so many people like is not gonna bring the old days back.

Agreed.

Yea restricting party chat so you have to talk with your team would be a really good move to reinforce the theme that this time rank is going to matter. They really need to reinforce that theme a lot this game though. Its not a move that makes everyone happy, its a realtalk move.

Start with solid weapon starts. Don't force loadouts like AR+Pistol. Dont make shitty maps give us a solid five maps with an equal amount of objective flag and bomb in with slayer gametypes (Similar to MLGs weightings actually) These maps need not be super large but arena symetrical smaller dongblain maps. I don't wanna see 4v4 on Tempest sized shit. Stupid. Don't give us insanely vertical maps (SwordBase sucks Oddballs) Give us real compettive maps with cool jumps and useful lines of sight. Moderate the insane amount of crap weapons and crap powerups AA's Armor Abilities, armor powerups specilizations, perks, powerweapons, score streaks so we can play some good old fashioned predictable no aces in the sleeves Halo.

agree, please keep vertical maps to a minimum. they're hardly ever fun.

Havok

Yeah, disabling party chat is just going to lead to folks like me, who would rather not roll the dice on the quality of a given random, muting everyone in the lobby but the party I'm playing with. All it's doing is making more work for me and my ilk with the same result. If you care that much about the outcome of the game, aren't you going to be playing with a full team as often as possible anyway? As far as I can tell, the ratio of good randoms to awful randoms who wouldn't actually use the information I'd be giving them isn't high enough to merit removing a much-loved feature of the console. Party chat or full teams is the only reason I put a mic in at all anymore. Every once in a while I'll get a random who joins an open Party Chat, often opening with "'sup, fags?" and my automatic muting of every person online is immediately justified.

Yeah, SP first for me, I dont want to be spoiled from XBL, the internet or something else.. but man its gonna be tough, cause I do want to try the MP..

FUCKING KNIFE PARTY IS DOING A HALO 4 REMIX
:bow

Also, the "DA NA NA NA NA BWOOOO" thing I always bring up seems to show up in
Revival
... keep in mind the first time we heard this theme, it preceded "I have long dreamt of this day, Reclaimer..." along with Didact's logo. Fingers crossed we wake him up in the penultimate mission in dat atmosphere so that he can help us kick the ancient evil's ass.

5 Anniversary achievements left for me! (Finally got the warthog run on The Maw one, pretty easy after I turned off Boom! :p)

1. Complete the game on Legendary
2. Complete The Library without dying
3. Complete Two Betrayals without killing any Grunts
4. Complete Two Betrayals without picking up a new weapon
5. Kill all enemies in the first fight of T&R without being detected

Any tips for 3, 4, and 5?

dude check your pms man

also, it'd be totally willing to help you with all of those tonight/this weekend. I still need Library no deaths, Library under 30 mins, complete Legendary (library's all I have left) and I can do the Two Betrayals/T&R ones for you if you want to do co-op.

Vire

I'm definitely doing campaign first, but I will take a gander at all the maps in a private custom game just to see what they are like.

TCKaos

I wish that you could filter for players currently using a microphone. I mean, shit, you get one with the console regardless of what version you get. Where did they all go?

Fuchsdh

Not necessarily true. It's just that we haven't seen a good one in a while. Same can be said about asymmetrical maps

I like the idea of vertical maps where there's a strong push to get on top, but it can't lend itself to a shooting gallery (like Prisoner with more than 6 players.)

Vire

So I was playing Halo 2 the other day and I totally forgot how easily the Jackals shields disperse. Anyone else miss this?

It just feels more fun. Fighting Jackals in recent games is tiresome.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, disabling party chat is just going to lead to folks like me, who would rather not roll the dice on the quality of a given random, muting everyone in the lobby but the party I'm playing with. All it's doing is making more work for me and my ilk with the same result. If you care that much about the outcome of the game, aren't you going to be playing with a full team as often as possible anyway? As far as I can tell, the ratio of good randoms to awful randoms who wouldn't actually use the information I'd be giving them isn't high enough to merit removing a much-loved feature of the console. Party chat or full teams is the only reason I put a mic in at all anymore. Every once in a while I'll get a random who joins an open Party Chat, often opening with "'sup, fags?" and my automatic muting of every person online is immediately justified.
Yeah, maybe you're right. I like chatting with randoms online, and don't have a problem with muting the assholes, but I'm probably in the minority.

m23

Finally got my tickets to Fanexpo.....for real this time, 2 more days til Halo 4! My cousin gets to play tomorrow, so I'll post his impressions.

Finally listened to samples, Revival....just wow.

Man, the thoughts of what is taking place during the Revival track has me so excited. Epic and Haunting with an amazing buildup. Though I will say, I do not like the way 1:17 to 1:23 sounds in the Revival track now compared to in the Composing Worlds BTS. At 50 Seconds into that video, I fell in love with that track. Wonder why it changed? Maybe it just has multiple appearances in the OST, but I doubt it.

Fuchsdh

So I was playing Halo 2 the other day and I totally forgot how easily the Jackals shields disperse. Anyone else miss this?

Agreed. The fact that they can absorb so many hits in CQB without staggering makes it virtually impossible to take them out without grenades, a plasma pistol or DMR notch sniping. It's just not as much fun to fight them.

Hell, in CE the AR could still be used to kill them, even if it wasn't that effective.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Have we heard or do we know what the main menu Halo theme song is?

I hope they kick it old school.

Also, the difference between Standard and special edition soundtracks is so great. I'm probably gonna splurge on the special edition though. That DVD has my interest.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

yup. also, in reach, the jackles seem to regenerate their shields once dropped quite fast. along the same lines, i dont like the grunt bullet sponges in reach either.

Apparently mouthbreathing PC fanboys seem to think that a basic physics system, which was terribly underused from an actual gameplay standpoint, allows everyone to ignore dull landscapes, boring environments, overly long driving sections with absolutely no purpose, simplistic AI encounters, and some of the most depressingly mundane combat this side of Redneck Rampage.

But Gravity Gun! AMIRITE?

I can understand many complaints about Half-life 2 – the AI, the gunplay, underused physics, the driving parts (though I think many people misinterpret that last part) – and agree with most of those to an extent, but one thing I cannot understand is criticisms of its enivornments, and to a lesser extent, its landscapses. Those things that help compose the world.

One of Half-Life 2's greatest strengths, if not its greatest, is its world building. Half-Life 2 does a better job at creating the feeling of a living world than almost any other game, that I've played, including all the Halos. A large part of this is because Half-life 2's world is dynamic – it changes. When you first step off the train at the beginning of the game, you're greeted by a large, dominating viewscreen of Dr. Breen. You see Overwatch forcing people out of their homes. Later on, you witness resistance members tearing down a similarly large screen of Breen, and at several points you observe Combine walls slowly eating the city away. Then you think back to the beginning of the game and realize the following: Overwatch isn't moving people to terrorize them, they're being corralled.

The living world is helped greatly by the level design and its continuity. Half-Life's level design follows a theme of "guided exploration": You're not just walking down a hallway, you'll go through a hole in the wall, to a bathroom on the other side, and walk out of that to a row of cell blocks. There's a strong sense of continuity in the game: It seems like, and is for the most part, one long journey. At any point, from my experience, the player feels he or she can turn around and walk all the way back to the beginning of the game.

The environments are varied and transition smoothly from one to the next. Ravenholm's atmosphere and emphasis on the gravity gun are far different from Highway 17's misty beach scenery and "stop and fight" gameplay.

I can understand where you're coming from in that the environments are "boring" – some of them I can't see at all, like Raveholm – but many of the landscapes are barren in a certain way. And there's a point to that: The Combine are draining Earth of its resources. There's not much left.

I know this post will be completely out of context of whatever discussion is going on at the moment (bulletin's probably up), but given how many people dislike, or don't think highly of, Half-Life 2, and for completely understandable reasons, but I think HL2's fantastic world building is something I think most of us can agree on. This response is late cause I had a work meeting, then had to take an emergency shift to work a band.

I played and beat it on the original Xbox (I wonder how many people actually remember that version). It's not the greatest game, but i guess it was at least better than Half Life 1. It suffers a lot less from being disjointed like HL1, but isn't a very coherent experience and has a loooot of dead time between the memorable setpieces.

That's the version I played it on. Still own it to this day. I thoroughly enjoyed both H1 (PS2 version) and H2. Not in my greatest games of all time list but still great games nonetheless. Eps 1 and 2 are top campaigns too.

I can get behind banning party chat in certain lists. It's not feasible to see it happen in BTB but I do miss the inane silliness of up to 16 players mic'd up and the conversations that popped up from time to time (which contrary to GAF stereotype did not always revolve around racial/sexist/sexuality slurs).

Every game I ever played on it came down to a game of Camp the Lifts.

One thing is that generally the "better" ground. The high ground that people want shouldn't have the power weapons on it. When the other team camps lifts on Construct its already hard enough to get up and overtake it but that team also gets rockets? I dunno about that.

As a better team they should be able to leave their map control or move it to the power weapon spawn spot obtain it and then move back. This is why I think rockets should always be at a semi-open position that you dont camp.

One of the things I think Uncaged/Sword Base does right regarding vertical map gameplay(If it weren't for jetpack) That you have to drop down for rockets/snipe and lose your middle base or upper medpack control which is desireable on those maps.

There was a new IGN article with music tracks, remixes and a mini-interview with Neil Davidge. Also I really love the player IGN has there, interesting to say the least.

IGN Source Link

Apologises is this has been posted in previous pages, I skimmed and didn't see it.

Songs available to listen to are:
"Awakening" (OST)
"Awakening" (Gui Boratto remix)

"To Galaxy" (OST)
"To Galaxy" (Sander Van Doorn and Julian Jordan remix)

"Revival" (OST)

"Beauty of Cortana" (Apocalyptica vs. Neil Davidge)

"Ascendancy" (OST)

"Haven" (Hundred Waters remix)

the only thing im looking forward to in this bulletin is the "Until next week when we discuss _______"

Really hoping its matchmaking and skill based ranks!

probably not :(

Arnie

I can understand many complaints about Half-life 2 – the AI, the gunplay, underused physics, the driving parts (though I think many people misinterpret that last part) – and agree with most of those to an extent, but one thing I cannot understand is criticisms of its enivornments, and to a lesser extent, its landscapses. Those things that help compose the world.

One of Half-Life 2's greatest strengths, if not its greatest, is its world building. Half-Life 2 does a better job at creating the feeling of a living world than almost any other game, that I've played, including all the Halos. A large part of this is because Half-life 2's world is dynamic – it changes. When you first step off the train at the beginning of the game, you're greeted by a large, dominating viewscreen of Dr. Breen. You see Overwatch forcing people out of their homes. Later on, you witness resistance members tearing down a similarly large screen of Breen, and at several points you observe Combine walls slowly eating the city away. Then you think back to the beginning of the game and realize the following: Overwatch isn't moving people to terrorize them, they're being corralled.

The living world is helped greatly by the level design and its continuity. Half-Life's level design follows a theme of "guided exploration": You're not just walking down a hallway, you'll go through a hole in the wall, to a bathroom on the other side, and walk out of that to a row of cell blocks. There's a strong sense of continuity in the game: It seems like, and is for the most part, one long journey. At any point, from my experience, the player feels he or she can turn around and walk all the way back to the beginning of the game.

The environments are varied and transition smoothly from one to the next. Ravenholm's atmosphere and emphasis on the gravity gun are far different from Highway 17's misty beach scenery and "stop and fight" gameplay.

I can understand where you're coming from in that the environments are "boring" – some of them I can't see at all, like Raveholm – but many of the landscapes are barren in a certain way. And there's a point to that: The Combine are draining Earth of its resources. There's not much left.

I know this post will be completely out of context of whatever discussion is going on at the moment (bulletin's probably up), but given how many people dislike, or don't think highly of, Half-Life 2, and for completely understandable reasons, but I think HL2's fantastic world building is something I think most of us can agree on. This response is late cause I had a work meeting, then had to take an emergency shift to work a band.
Great post, I'm perfectly willing to accept that Half Life 2 does a great job of this.

I still think it's a massively overrated game though, because the actual shooter elements are sub par, for me.

Vire

heckfu

Banned
There was a new IGN article with music tracks, remixes and a mini-interview with Neil Davidge. Also I really love the player IGN has there, interesting to say the least.

IGN Source Link

Apologises is this has been posted in previous pages, I skimmed and didn't see it.

Songs available to listen to are:
"Awakening" (OST)
"Awakening" (Gui Boratto remix)

"To Galaxy" (OST)
"To Galaxy" (Sander Van Doorn and Julian Jordan remix)

"Revival" (OST)

"Beauty of Cortana" (Apocalyptica vs. Neil Davidge)

"Ascendancy" (OST)

"Haven" (Hundred Waters remix)

I'm literally throwing my head into my desk.

Top Bottom