• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey V demo version available now

I'm glad Adventure Logs are a thing, now when the game baits me with an "eat this thing?" event and then say "Psyche! It's poison, why'd you eat it, dummy?" I could at least get experience for surviving.

Gila Moo

Neo Member
If I'm understanding correctly, the Masurao class Peerless Demon support skill helps increase damage for multi hit attacks such as Whirlwind?

spiritfox

I'm leaning towards a Dragoon/Pugilist/Harbinger Warlock/Rover party. But this means I'll have no Brounies and I don't feel like doing class alters. That does suck though since the Brounie racial Unions are pretty good. Maybe I should swap in a Shaman but I'm not sure yet.

I'm leaning towards a Dragoon/Pugilist/Harbinger Warlock/Rover party. But this means I'll have no Brounies and I don't feel like doing class alters. That does suck though since the Brounie racial Unions are pretty good. Maybe I should swap in a Shaman but I'm not sure yet.
Swap Shaman in for the Harbinger and you have my party. It's fun so far!

Unfortunately, as much as I want to believe my

Pugilist/Dragoon/Masurou
Shaman/Necromancer

party would work at later levels, the party is simply unable to heal enough to get through the lower levels. Shaman in particular just does not make sense to me as a class. It's heals are so weak compared to similar classes like Dancer and Trabadour and at least before speccing, doesn't have any tricks of its own to make up for the lack of healing.

Like what the hell is a Shaman even meant to do in the early game? Buffs are always nice, but TP costs at low levels are too high for them to be consistently used. Also, in my experience, buffs only really come into their own in middle game onwards once you've been able to invest enough points into the buff. When all you have is a couple points in an attack buff, you're really not doing all that much.

I've thus changed my team to the following

Pugilist/Dragoon/Masurou
Necromancer/Rover

Healing is much more in control now and I'm actually making decent progress. That said, I'm a little bit concerned that Nec and Rov are going to be stepping on each other's toes since they are both pet classes. Especially since I'm planning on speccing my Necromancer into an Evoker, which relies on having as many wraiths as possible

spiritfox

I wouldn't run all 3 pet classes. You only have 3 slots, and you won't be able to efficiently use Necro if Rover and Dragoon are hogging the slots.

vall03

Currently running this line-up.

Fencer/Dragoon/Harbinger
Warlock/Necromancer

I'm doing fine so far, but I have a bad feeling that this party is gonna fuck up hard and hit a wall at one point. But then again, this is Etrian Odyssey, almost any set-up will work with little tweaking when necessary. Still trying to get a grasp on each class so I had the remaining classes as a different line-up with mostly support skills for farming lol.

Also, from the looks of it, the Fencer class isn't that good? I'm barely seeing anyone have it on their line-up or is the class stronger late-game?

tuffy

Also, from the looks of it, the Fencer class isn't that good? I'm barely seeing anyone have it on their line-up or is the class stronger late-game?
They seem like a reliable chaser-type class to me. Combined with a Warlock and I get a nice elemental-followup two hit combo that's enough to finish off enemies with an elemental weakness.

But I'm still really early into the game, so I have no idea how the class holds up later on.

spiritfox

Currently running this line-up.

Fencer/Dragoon/Harbinger
Warlock/Necromancer

I'm doing fine so far, but I have a bad feeling that this party is gonna fuck up hard and hit a wall at one point. But then again, this is Etrian Odyssey, almost any set-up will work with little tweaking when necessary. Still trying to get a grasp on each class so I had the remaining classes as a different line-up with mostly support skills for farming lol.

Link Fencer does not reach the highs of the other dedicated damage classes but she does not require you to build a party around her like the Linksknecht in EOIV. Her evasion build is kinda iffy though, but since you have a Dragoon you don't need to worry too much about that.

vall03

They seem like a reliable chaser-type class to me. Combined with a Warlock and I get a nice elemental-followup two hit combo that's enough to finish off enemies with an elemental weakness.

But I'm still really early into the game, so I have no idea how the class holds up later on.

I went with the Warlock as well because of the synergy, its working out so far early game.

Link Fencer does not reach the highs of the other dedicated damage classes but she does not require you to build a party around her like the Linksknecht in EOIV. Her evasion build is kinda iffy though, but since you have a Dragoon you don't need to worry too much about that.

Now that I think about it, I remember dropping my Landsknecht once I unlocked Bushi and Imperial back in EOIV. My reasoning is the same as well with having to build a specific team and how I got frustrated because of how slow it is, requiring multiple turns to wind up. I'll experiment a bit more and see how either the Pugilist and Masurao fares with my line-up.

If this is the case, I'm really gonna be disappointed if I ever drop the poster girl from my main team... :(

Hyoukokun

I made it to the end of the third floor with a a Pugilist, Dragoon, Rover, Shaman, and Warlock. They're all at level 10, so I'm exploring the other classes right now. It definitely looks like the Botanist is way more useful early-game than the Shaman; the Shaman's secondary healing abilities just don't cover the "oh crap something knocked me down to 5hp healplz" contingency that crops up a lot early on.

Anybody found any hidden challenges to try in the demo? I've beaten both flavors of FOE and completed all of the available quests. I could grind the rest of my guild up to level 10, but I've got weeks to do that at this point. Should've stretched it out longer here...

PsionBolt

Anybody found any hidden challenges to try in the demo? I've beaten both flavors of FOE and completed all of the available quests. I could grind the rest of my guild up to level 10, but I've got weeks to do that at this point. Should've stretched it out longer here...

I'm in the same position -- more or less maxed out my main party, playing again with a second, going back for FOE runs with the first party when they respawn (gotta get drops for those +5s!).
Have you killed rare breeds of the FOEs yet? It amps up the lethality quite a bit -- I managed to take out a rare owlbear with my main party, but only two people made it out alive.

Never played any Etrian Odyssey games before, but I was interested in the series, so I tried out the demo for both this game and the previous one (IV).

I gotta say, this game is a big step up from IV presentation-wise. The menus and the voice acting are good... Also the ability to freely recolor your characters hair, skin, and eyes is a nice touch. For those reasons, my initial impression is that I'm going to wait to play this game when it comes out, instead of playing IV right now.

Really enjoying it. Will probably pre-order. Hopefully I have time to play this next year. Radiant historia and strange journey redux might release around the same time as this.

I was able to reach the end of the 3rd floor with a party of Pugilist/Masurao/Harbinger - Warlock/Shaman

The lack of a strong dedicated healer was a little rough early on, but I was able to compensate for it by using the union blessing if things ever got real bad, and once my damage dealers started to get a bit tougher it wasn't much of an issue. I did eat a lot of meat and fish as I progressed though. That said I didn't feel like my Shaman was doing very much, so I might switch them out for a Botanist anyway

Hyoukokun

I was able to reach the end of the 3rd floor with a party of Pugilist/Masurao/Harbinger - Warlock/Shaman

The lack of a strong dedicated healer was a little rough early on, but I was able to compensate for it by using the union blessing if things ever got real bad, and once my damage dealers started to get a bit tougher it wasn't much of an issue. I did eat a lot of meat and fish as I progressed though. That said I didn't feel like my Shaman was doing very much, so I might switch them out for a Botanist anyway

I had a reasonably similar setup (Pugilist / Dragoon, Rover / Shaman / Warlock). Swapped out the Shaman for a Botanist after everyone hit level 10 and the Botanist was pulling her weight despite only being at level 5. Targeted healing and cheap AOE ailment attacks are useful!

I suspect / hope that the Shamans get more useful later in the game, but early-game their buffs and light healing just didn't make the grade. I think a part of it is the way their buff skills are designed to have a high TP cost until you invest in the relevant mastery skill... that's really rough on low-level characters with small TP pools. Mine was stuck with nothing to do but defend half the time.

Verelios

I'm rocking a

Dragoon/Masurou/Pugilist
Botanist/Necromancer

And doing pretty good. Just finished up the second floor and was much better than my initial party which wiped out all the time

Fencer/Masurou
Dragoon/Shaman/Necromancer

Where one fight was like death. Fencer just couldn't deal consistent damage and having Masu as my only dps was death. Plus, no healing. No healing at all. Floor 1 killed me.

Top Bottom