• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Picks Sale NA

Ahasverus

Original Sin has a completely different combat system than Baldur's Gate. BG is realtime with pause, Original Sin is turn-based.

(Original Sin has the best turn-based RPG combat I've ever seen)
I was talking about depth and overall style, but yeah, DS is turn based. Really, really old school. That's its charm, but it's not casual ready. Hell, it's not even soft hardcore ready. It's hardcore to the bone.

Linkura

tumblr_inline_og4o5jEb1g1tmjfiq_500.gif

This and DQ Builders people, get on that shit.

Thanks man, was on mobile.

bman94

I guess I should finally try to get into Rocket League. I have 3 friends that play it so I guess I'll give a shot.

Is there any big difference between the Game of the Year edition and the regular?

My 12-year old son loved Dragon Quest Builders on the PS4. My 8-year old daughter is starting to get into it. I think I'll get it on my Vita for her as well.

I guess I should finally try to get into Rocket League. I have 3 friends that play it so I guess I'll give a shot.

Is there any big difference between the Game of the Year edition and the regular?

GOTY edition includes the Chaos Run, Revenge of the Battle-Cars, and Supersonic Fury DLC packs (more than $7 total after discount if bought separately). Definitely worth the extra few dollars.

Within these packs you'll get several cars, including the Dominus (second most popular car in the game), as well as more wheels, boosts, paint types, etc. If I remember correctly, one of the packs has the pixelated shades topper, which is my favorite in the game.

Does the Manhunt port include the feature where the director speaks to you through a headset if you use one? Oddly tempted to revisit that for some reason.

Is Dragon Quest builders still a good buy for someone who doesn't like Minecraft at all?

Depends on why you dislike Minecraft, but outside of the building they aren't super similar.
it's much more structured and focused than Minecraft from what little I've played. I believe there is still a demo up.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
So it plays more like X-Com than Diablo?

Closer to X-Com definitely(only in combat).

You have certain skills based on your class and you spend Ability points to both move and perform actions. Being high fantasy, you have magic, swords, bows, and unique to Divinity all sorts of environmental stuff that can affect battle outcome(light oil puddles on fire as the most base example).

Otherwise, you wander the world freely. Take on quests(some of which have multiple solutions), enjoy the ridiculous NPC banter. In that respect it is closer to a Baldurs Gate but much lighter in tone and humor. But again, the moment enemies show up, it becomes turn-based and thoughtful.

Biggest hurdle most will have is being let loose in a semi-big city after the linear tutorial with maybe too much freedom to choose your next objective. Either you are confident and comfortable with forging a goal for yourself, or uncertainty takes control and scares you away.

dralla

I really want Divinity, but I'm worried that it'll be too complicated and I'll give up on it.

Divinity was my second time playing a proper "CRPG" (first was Wasteland 2, which I did not care for) so I went in with basically zero experience. The first few hours are definitely difficult and I was contemplating quitting but I'm glad I pushed through because it ended up being one of the best games I've played on PS4. I don't think it's that impenetrable of a game as long as you know what you're getting yourself into. Know it's not a mashy action game like Diablo and know you're probably going to struggle in the beginning as you're learning the ins and outs.

bman94

GOTY edition includes the Chaos Run, Revenge of the Battle-Cars, and Supersonic Fury DLC packs (more than $7 total after discount if bought separately). Definitely worth the extra few dollars.

Within these packs you'll get several cars, including the Dominus (second most popular car in the game), as well as more wheels, boosts, paint types, etc. If I remember correctly, one of the packs has the pixelated shades topper, which is my favorite in the game.

Okay, cool thanks! Just bought it.

Is Dragon Quest builders still a good buy for someone who doesn't like Minecraft at all?

It may look like Minecraft, but from what I've seen from my son playing it, it feels more like Zelda with a lot of crafting.

There's even an item you can build late in the game that plays retro-sounding game music that reminds me of Zelda. I think it's the original 8-bit Dragon Quest tunes? It's awesome. How did I miss out on those classic games?

epmode

I was talking about depth and overall style, but yeah, DS is turn based. Really, really old school. That's its charm, but it's not casual ready. Hell, it's not even soft hardcore ready. It's hardcore to the bone.

I think you're off-base here. Original Sin's combat system is unique for the genre. You can do all sorts of stuff that other games don't even attempt, let alone succeed at. And they do it with style, with excellent tooltips and a very modern interface. It's definitely more complicated than other stuff in the genre but it's still very accessible.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
How's the PS4 port of divinity for couch co-op?

Only tried it VERY briefly awhile ago, but it was impressive and worked brilliantly for getting up and running.

I was quite fond of the rock paper scissor matches for debating whom gets to respond to NPC dialogue when selections differ. Also combat can be awesome when trading strategies for each turn.

Cleve

Only tried it VERY briefly awhile ago, but it was impressive and worked brilliantly for getting up and running.

I was quite fond of the rock paper scissor matches for debating whom gets to respond to NPC dialogue when selections differ. Also combat can be awesome when trading strategies for each turn.

Cool, played it on the PC, but looking for an easy way to get my dad in. I'll pick it up. No regrets double dipping on it.

Okay, cool thanks! Just bought it.

You won't regret it. Rocket League is easily one of the best games this gen and my favorite game of all time--and I've been gaming since the Atari 2600. I have over 1000 hours in it! It's a blast with buddies, whether online or in splitscreen local co-op.

JC Lately

I tried out the demo for NieR Automata, but the battle system kinda bored me. I wasn’t expecting something Bayonetta-esque, but the demo was sub-KH1 when it came to fighting. Was 2B just overleved for demo purposes or something? Is the fighting in the full game more enjoyable?

ghibli99

Definitely some good stuff in here. Of course, it's a reminder of all the games I bought when they were more expensive that I have yet to open/play...

Johndoey

Banned
I'm torn 3 ways between Yakuza 0, Dishonored 2 and GTAV.

I'm torn.

Badly.
Yakuza 0 is red hot. It brings all the laughs, the tears, and the pulse pounding excitement anyone could want. And chickens, debt collectors, slick suits, phat beats. Honestly what more do ya need?

The other two are fine and all but they just don't match up.

Gonna grab Divinity. I'm in the mood for a Diablo-like RPG and for $12 you can't go wrong.
It's a fantastic game, but nothing like Diablo. It's a turn based affair with a focus on comboing abilities and items for combat and problem solving. And some delightfully cheesy writing.

I tried out the demo for NieR Automata, but the battle system kinda bored me. I wasn’t expecting something Bayonetta-esque, but the demo was sub-KH1 when it came to fighting. Was 2B just overleved for demo purposes or something? Is the fighting in the full game more enjoyable?

Not really, though I found the actual game quite challenging at bosses. If the demo ain't your thing then it's not for you. FWIW i felt the same thing but still bought it then regretted my purchase later.

The full game is exactly the same, and no she isn't overpowered for the demo.

Top Bottom