• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Picks Sale NA

Qwyjibo

Don't worry buddy, I'm a Yakuza expert. If you are indeed buying this, do head on over to the

I did pre-order Yakuza Kiwami (at a discount, of course) knowing that I would eventually play this game first. I assume that is the correct order?!

Even with such a huge backlog (because I'm a crazy person, like many on Gaf), I have this huge desire to get into this series. Yakuza 0 will probably jump the queue and get some play time this weekend.

I did pre-order Yakuza Kiwami (at a discount, of course) knowing that I would eventually play this game first. I assume that is the correct order?!

Even with such a huge backlog (because I'm a crazy person, like many on Gaf), I have this huge desire to get into this series. Yakuza 0 will probably jump the queue and get some play time this weekend.
Yes, you made the right call. Yakuza 0 is made as a prequel to Yakuza 1, but Yakuza: Kiwami was made as a pseudo-sequel to Yakuza 0.

So it's best to just play in order which is Y0 -> Y:Kiwami.

Yes, you made the right call. Yakuza 0 is made as a prequel to Yakuza 1, but Yakuza: Kiwami was made as a pseudo-sequel to Yakuza 0.

So it's best to just play in order which is Y0 -> Y:Kiwami.

Keep in mind I haven't really played the Yakuza series. However, since the release order was obviously Yakuza 1 first, I'd be worried about some revelations in it not being as impactful if you played 0 first -- akin to watching the Star Wars prequels before the original trilogy. Is this completely not the case? Or is it a wash and it works either way?

Keep in mind I haven't really played the Yakuza series. However, since the release order was obviously Yakuza 1 first, I'd be worried about some revelations in it not being as impactful if you played 0 first -- akin to watching the Star Wars Prequels before the original trilogy. Is this completely not the case? Or is it a wash and it works either way?
Yakuza 0 was a prequel made as part of the series' 10th anniversary project.

Yakuza 0 is a prequel that takes place in 1988, literally 7 years before the start of the first one (and then you have a ten year time skip in the first one so it really takes place in 2005, making it 17 years before Yakuza 1).

The thing to remember about the Yakuza series is that almost all the games are self-contained. The story of one does not affect the story of another. Yes the protagonists and supporting cast does carry over and they do grow as characters but the villains are ALWAYS new people and the story is always new.

But the thing about Yakuza 0 is that it's an incredibly well made game, and that it gives backstory to characters in Yakuza 1 that barely even got any backstory in that game. The mere existence of Yakuza 0 elevated Yakuza 1's story even though it had ZERO (pun not intended) connection to the overall plot, simply through giving characters development and time to show off their personality. That being said, Kiwami was made keeping the events and actions of Yakuza 0 in mind and incorporated it into the game making the transition much smoother and making the story feel as if it's a two-part series or something.

So yeah, play Yakuza 0 first then Yakuza: Kiwami. You CAN play it the other way around but I wouldn't recommend it personally. That's also the official SEGA recommendation.
Guys, the Y0 / Kiwami "which do I play first?" argument is silly.

There are narrative details and substories that have been added to Kiwami that follow up on things that happened in Y0. They aren't written in a "prequel" way in Y0, they are written in a sequel way in Kiwami. In other words, Y0 was the prequel to Y1, but Kiwami is sort of a sequel to Y0.

The official SEGA recommendation is you play Y0 then Kiwami.

Edit: And when I say silly, I mean "amusing".

Yakuza 0 was a prequel made as part of the series' 10th anniversary project.

Yakuza 0 is a prequel that takes place in 1988, literally 7 years before the start of the first one (and then you have a ten year time skip in the first one so it really takes place in 2005, making it 17 years before Yakuza 1).

The thing to remember about the Yakuza series is that almost all the games are self-contained. The story of one does not affect the story of another. Yes the protagonists and supporting cast does carry over and they do grow as characters but the villains are ALWAYS new people and the story is always new.

But the thing about Yakuza 0 is that it's an incredibly well made game, and that it gives backstory to characters in Yakuza 1 that barely even got any backstory in that game. The mere existence of Yakuza 0 elevated Yakuza 1's story even though it had ZERO (pun not intended) connection to the overall plot, simply through giving characters development and time to show off their personality. That being said, Kiwami was made keeping the events and actions of Yakuza 0 in mind and incorporated it into the game making the transition much smoother and making the story feel as if it's a two-part series or something.

So yeah, play Yakuza 0 first then Yakuza: Kiwami. You CAN play it the other way around but I wouldn't recommend it personally. That's also the official SEGA recommendation.

Fair enough, and thanks for the explanation. If it wasn't clear, I wasn't recommending one or the other. I was simply voicing my concern.

Some Nobody

Hm. Isometric gameplay bothers me unless it's strategy RPGs like Tactics or Fire Emblem. Still, I love RPGs and fantasy. Is Divinity worth the investment for me?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I've seen people in the thread praise Divinity: Original Sin's combat, but how is story and characters? Can you compare it to something? Somebody said Diablo earlier, and then another said it's not like Diablo.

Late reply, but I didn't think the story was particularly good. The moment to moment writing is fun but the main plot and characters aren't especially interesting. The lead characters are basically blank slates. You can give them an AI but all it does is automatically select responses based on whatever AI you give them.

Hm. Isometric gameplay bothers me unless it's strategy RPGs like Tactics or Fire Emblem. Still, I love RPGs and fantasy. Is Divinity worth the investment for me?

Original Sin's combat is fairly tactical with a lot of emphasis on positioning, managing and mixing different elements, and creatively using various items. You may still enjoy it despite not being a "proper" strategy RPG.

I've seen people in the thread praise Divinity: Original Sin's combat, but how is story and characters? Can you compare it to something? Somebody said Diablo earlier, and then another said it's not like Diablo.

Late reply, but I didn't think the story was particularly good. The moment to moment writing is fun but the main plot and characters aren't especially interesting. The lead characters are basically blank slates. You can give them an AI but all it does is automatically select responses based on whatever AI you give them.

Yeah, I agree with chaosblade. The writing was certainly fun and it was still a jolly time.The story is interesting but nothing amazing.

Davide

So kind of a stupid question, but I have Battlefront on disc and EB Games is offering $12 trade credit for Battlefront, so I want to trade it in and buy the Ultimate Edition on PSN for $6.79. Will all my progress transfer over to the digital version?

What do I need a sale on PlayStation Picks for? I already got it for free

Z0097201.jpg

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I got need for speed rivals complete edition and the discounted mai shiranui dlc pack for DOA5LR

...this is by far the best need for speed this gen obviously, but i will say that not being able to pause and not having a dedicated menu are the worst things ever. seriously, all drive is cool and all, but it is almost literally impossible to play this game if you have to actually go and do things while playing. They should have atleast seperated all drive into its own dedicated online mode that you could switch on and off. just being able to pause while offline would be a big improvement

kikiribu

Is Dishonored: Definitive Edition worth it for $10 on PS4 (I have a Pro)? I played the demo for Dishonored 2 and I'm really surprised at how good the combat is. Game looks like concept art most of the time, it's so good.

But I want to play the first. Is the DE a bad port?

lupinko

So kind of a stupid question, but I have Battlefront on disc and EB Games is offering $12 trade credit for Battlefront, so I want to trade it in and buy the Ultimate Edition on PSN for $6.79. Will all my progress transfer over to the digital version?

I think te Ultimate Edition is just the game with the dlc. I can't speak for Battlefront but you should be alright because I've used disc saves (GGXrd Revelator, SFV and KOFXIV) on digital versions of games just fine.

In other news I'm quite impressed by TitanFall 2.

Top Bottom