• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember the Sonic 2 HD fan project? Apparently it's back [UP] Demo out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Artstyle is terrible in my opinion. Thankfully we live in a world where sonic mania exists now.
The trees remind me of a cheap flash game.
C4YsGJs.jpg

rucury

Banned
What does it say about me that I thought this was an HD remake of Sonic Adventure 2 when I read the title? I was so hyped.

Don't get me wrong, I dont mind a Sonic 2 HD...

Jazzem

Honestly think it looks great! Feels authentic to the original at a higher resolution which can't be easy to pull off
Never thought we'd see this again, especially since some staff worked on Mania.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
I think this looks great. I'd be happy for Mania to go in this direction.

Artstyle is terrible in my opinion. Thankfully we live in a world where sonic mania exists now.
The trees remind me of a cheap flash game.
C4YsGJs.jpg

I think still images of this are misleading, and it looks much much better in motion.

khaaan

I think still images of this are misleading, and it looks much much better in motion.

Chemical Plant looks really nice, the stuff with nature (i.e. Emerald Hill and whatever Zone that image is supposed to be) still look pretty bad. It's a work in progress though so hopefully they can iterate on it. Good luck to the dev(s).

Edit:

Rt8gJa0.png

Kyzer

Banned
Looks good, especially for being made by a fan. For people to come in here and say it looks like ass like its supposed to be able to compete with retail games...come on

BiggNife

It looks good for what they were going for, but if I'm being completely honest I'd rather just have Christian Whitehead's 60fps Sonic 2 remaster on a system that isn't iOS or Android.

This looks bad IMO. The art style looks like a flash game. If they're going for the hand drawn one, they should aim for sprites with the same art direction as Sonic CD intro or Sonic Mania intro and visuals like Wonder Boy The Dragon Trap remake.

KNT-Zero

I like what they did with the title screen. Sonic Mania is still too fresh in people's minds, so maybe it won't have as much on an impact on the fans as that.

lazygecko

Not sure how to explain it but it looks a bit too "clean" ?
Maybe that"s just me.

Completely 1:1 HD recreations of low resolution pixel art has a habit of ending up like this, precisely because it was designed specifically to work within that level of fidelity in the first place. The psychology that underlines pixel art is very different, since it's a very implicit artform that relies heavily on our brain's pattern recognition to fill in all the gaps to make sense of what we're seeing. When the artstyle is recreated at a much higher native resolution, that entire aspect is lost, and since it's so overly commited to preserving the same style of detail, there's nothing new in there to compensate for what was lost in translation.

That's why this whole reverence for preserving the original style in remakes of old visuals comes across as such a giant catch 22 for me.

Shadio

Chemical Plant Zone looks really nice.

But there's something about everything else that feels off. I think it's that the scenery in the other zones is too bright and pops out a bit too much.

completely different groups of people

oh man if you only knew the history behind those trees

Was this the one with the dude who was adamant about being slavishly obsessive to the art being 1:1 with the sprites in Sonic 2, often resulting in things looking not so great? Then, in the end, he hijacked the code for himself?

If I'm remembering this correctly, the project had a really, really weird history...

epmode

Completely 1:1 HD recreations of low resolution pixel art has a habit of ending up like this, precisely because it was designed specifically to work within that level of fidelity in the first place. The psychology that underlines pixel art is very different, since it's a very implicit artform that relies heavily on our brain's pattern recognition to fill in all the gaps to make sense of what we're seeing. When the artstyle is recreated at a much higher native resolution, that entire aspect is lost, and since it's so overly commited to preserving the same style of detail, there's nothing new in there to compensate for what was lost in translation.

The Double Fine remakes of the old LucasArts adventure game suffer from the same problem. (Day of the Tentacle and Full Throttle)

Falk

that puzzling face
Was this the one with the dude who was adamant about being slavishly obsessive to the art being 1:1 with the sprites in Sonic 2, often resulting in things looking not so great? Then, in the end, he hijacked the code for himself?

If I'm remembering this correctly, the project had a really, really weird history...

No, specifically the Hill Top tree sprites in a much older incarnation of the Sonic 2 HD fan project spawned page-long arguments which are absolutely hilarious to revisit in hindsight.

http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=20100&st=241

Stencil

Yeah, initially after seeing a screenshot I thought "meh" but after seeing the trailer, in motion, I'd definitely buy that on a console. Looks great.

orioto

Good Art™
yeah chemical plant and animations are good to me.

Is this the old project ? Is so that's the one that gave me the idea to do remake image of games 10 years ago lol.

Khalme

Neo Member

That's why this whole reverence for preserving the original style in remakes of old visuals comes across as such a giant catch 22 for me.
I see, thanks for the explanation.
I guess not every studio is able to recreate a whole new artstyle and do something like Wondeer Boy : The Dragon's Trap.
I wish, though.

I think it looks pretty decent, not super thrilled about the art style but it looks alright. Is it just me or does it seem kinda...slow? Its been a while since I played Sonic 2 but the HD remaster just looks like the pacing is off from what I remember.

Fancolors

Not a fan of how it looks. It seems like they took the same color pallet from the original game and I don't think it works very well outside sprite work. I'm also not feeling the gradients used to render the assets.

Emerald Hill Zone looks very muddy, mainly because while everything is rendered in high fidelity, none of the materials such as grass and rocks are reacting to light in a believable manner. The original colors just don't work without further refinements. It works better on Chemical Zone tho.

Piers

It's one of those peculiar things where 16bit games look beautiful based on what little they had to work with.
And this game sure has a whole lot more resolution to make use of, it doesn't quite rub off right when so much of it is filled with digital, nice-and-quick airbrushing and gradients.

Saying that Major Magnet does look beautiful imo. Maybe this game just needs an extra something else to justify the pop-art/fake CGi aesphetic the original games had, like giving the graphics dynamic effects such as subtle specular/diffusion or hues slowly pulsating.

Looks amazing and not a rip-off of Mania (it came before ffs). I had a desktop wallpaper of theirs for the longest time after it's cancellation. Game looks crisper and more beautiful than Mania too. Hopefully cynics won't knock it down.

daveo42

Banned
Seems like some of their HD changes are hit and miss. Chemical Plant overall looks good, but Hilltop looks like shit. The soundtrack news also has me somewhat worried because if the early Sonic games did one thing right all of the time, it was the soundtrack.

Anyway, when's Sega going to shut this down? I'd assume with Sonic Mania, that team would be the ones working on any HD remakes of old Sonic games and not another fan group.

Seems like some of their HD changes are hit and miss. Chemical Plant overall looks good, but Hilltop looks like shit. The soundtrack news also has me somewhat worried because if the early Sonic games did one thing right all of the time, it was the soundtrack.

Anyway, when's Sega going to shut this down? I'd assume with Sonic Mania, that team would be the ones working on any HD remakes of old Sonic games and not another fan group.
Sega rarely, if ever, goes after Sonic fan games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom