• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Patent: stopping your game play to sell you Soda

patsu

Play via Gaikai for free, but with ads? That's the only scenario this would make sense indeed.

Probably more for short format games. You can complete a few rounds quickly, watch ads and continue.

It's less suitable for an experiential game like Journey, The Last Guardian, FF and Uncharted. I guess they can break at the chapters, but it's going to be really annoying.

People are already used to free casual games (with tiny ads), and freemium games. User experience-wise, getting interrupted by ads is a (huge) step backwards.

shaowebb

When my gaming is interrupted with popup ads, or halted entirely for a commercial I will officially quit playing entirely. Figure out how to make money off of that.

eastmen

Banned
I've said it before but i don't mind ads in games as long as they make sense .

COD MW with Pepsi or coke ads ? Sure I don't care if I'm in a fire fight and off in the distance there is a coke sign or the fast food resturant is a burger king that i'm fighting in.

If its a space game then at least make it an intersting futureistic add for coke or whatever it may be. It can work well

i-Lo

Even in a F2P game, the ads should be placed in Menus or places where they do NOT directly interrupt people from actually playing the game. This is not cable tele.

Of course, if Sony goes through with it and many people publicly oppose it instead of minority making all the loud noises in forums like these and majority of people not caring, i.e. taking it up the ass like most of the time, then Sony should retract this sort of intrusive service.

Yagharek

When my gaming is interrupted with popup ads, or halted entirely for a commercial I will officially quit playing entirely. Figure out how to make money off of that.

They will make it mandatory to have a gamertag before you can apply for work anywhere.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Obviously people seem against this. But how much less would games have to cost for you to go along. Half price game plus ads sounds fine to me. Of course with the option to pay the difference to get rid of the ads later.

Emitan

Obviously people seem against this. But how much less would games have to cost for you to go along. Half price game plus ads sounds fine to me. Of course with the option to pay the difference to get rid of the ads later.

If they made it like the Kindle with Special Offer or whatever, then sure. Cheaper price, but you can buy your way out of the ads later.

Come on guys, I'm sure we prob–

DrPepperDrool_thumb4829d8f569df3.jpg

–ably won't even notice them.

i-Lo

No, No, No.. once again, it's an absolute disgrace to even consider the idea of unwanted, unwarranted, intrusive, obstructive, interruptive ads while actually playing the game.

RagnarokX

"To resume gameplay, please purchase a refreshing best brand soda and input the code found on the cap or tab or wait 24 hours."

XeroSauce

I can't wait for the Youtube comments.

Patents look so long and obtuse. Must be hell going through them and comparing patents.

ElRenoRaven

Gold Member
I can already see the op-eds calling anyone who has a problem with this a petulant manbabby and/or MegaHitler.

Oh without a doubt we'd have plenty of those.

Oh hey guys, the ads aren't so bad. You barely notice them after a while!

Oh and without a doubt we'll see plenty of mindless morons saying that too.

Is it just anyone else that feels the almost aggressive urge to never buy a product that is forced upon them in the form of advertising?

You're not alone. If someone goes out of their way to shove an ad down my throat I tend to go out of my way to not buy their product. Luckily it usually helps that it's for total shit I have no interest in anyway.

GamerSoul

I can only see this working....when you pause the game maybe? Im not saying they should run a full ad maybe just a couple banners or something.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
FWIW, they're already using in game ads in their F2P games. For DCUO if you're a Free player you get an offer in the middle of your screen every once and a while when you exit out of a portal. You can't move your character until you either back out of the offer or agree for it to take you to the Marketplace. The same applies to Premium members (someone who has spent $5 in game) too I think. If you're a subscriber you have the option of removing that specific ad from the list of offers that get sent to you or you can turn off all the adds in the options settings.

I guess this is the evolution of that so they can offer more intrusive ads.

CorvoSol

I feel as though I can say with absolute certainty that advertisements in games would not decrease their retail price. It just would not happen.

I feel as though I can say with absolute certainty that advertisements in games would not decrease their retail price. It just would not happen.

Yep. The savings will never, ever be passed on to the customers. They'll always be able to put the blame on someone else. Next thing you know, they blame their 'lack of profits' on customers who don't buy their games at full price. After that, they blame people who aren't 'subscribed' to their services. It'll just go on and on and it will never work in our favor.

kerrak

Kudos to Sony.
I can see thousand of suits at MS, Zynga, Apple, OnLive/Gaikai, Activision, EA and many others asking themselves how they missed this.
For the implementation itself i don't see the problem. If it's for free games, skippable after 5 secs, a la Youtube, and non climax interrupting, i don't see how is this is different from any other form of free product funding like tv, youtube, websites, spotify...

FWIW, they're already using in game ads in their F2P games. For DCUO if you're a Free player you get an offer in the middle of your screen every once and a while when you exit out of a portal. You can't move your character until you either back out of the offer or agree for it to take you to the Marketplace. The same applies to Premium members (someone who has spent $5 in game) too I think. If you're a subscriber you have the option of removing that specific ad from the list of offers that get sent to you or you can turn off all the adds in the options settings.

I guess this is the evolution of that so they can offer more intrusive ads.

Beautiful. I have nothing against ads when I'm not doing anything worthwhile, but ads interrupting gameplay... Ugh.

Tellaerin

Kudos to Sony.
I can see thousand of suits at MS, Zynga, Apple, OnLive/Gaikai, Activision, EA and many others asking themselves how they missed this.
For the implementation itself i don't see the problem. If it's for free games, skippable after 5 secs, a la Youtube, and non climax interrupting, i don't see how is this is different from any other form of free product funding like tv, youtube, websites, spotify...

Kudos? Seriously?

This is fucking insane.

Did you read the description of how this thing is supposed to work?

Let's say you're playing a racing game. In mid-race, a warning pops up that there's an advertisement incoming, the action slows down, and you're forced to sit through a non-interactive ad. Then the game rewinds to a few seconds before the commercial, you're given control again, and the action speeds back up to normal.

I think for most normal people, in any game requiring reflexes and concentration of any kind, this would be considered 'fucking with the player'.

No, Sony, I don't have to try it. I intend to avoid any console or game that implements this like the plague.

jonno394

Hypothetical situation:

PS4 without ads - $400
PS4 with ads (subsidising console cost)- $199

Ads occur once every half an hour during single player gameplay.

Two year period, much likes MS subsidised 360 deal.

Kudos to Sony.

Kudos? Seriously?

They want to implement ads that essentially freeze your game for the duration of said ad. That ad could pop up as you're fighting the last boss in a game, it could pop up in multiplayer (heavens forbid), it could and will, in all likelihood, pop up at the most inopportune time and go on to ruin whatever game you happen to be playing.

A plague on Sony's house if they ever implement this.

Hypothetical situation:

PS4 without ads - $400
PS4 with ads (subsidising console cost)- $199

Ads occur once every half an hour during single player gameplay.

And how long would these ads continue for? Who decides if you've paid off the subsidized cost through watching ads? Or are you suggesting the ads would continue for perpetuity/for however long you own the console?

boiled goose

good with gravy
If they made it like the Kindle with Special Offer or whatever, then sure. Cheaper price, but you can buy your way out of the ads later.

exactly.
lowers the entry point and they get the product out there in ppls hands.

the reason DLC is becoming so terrible is because the current pricing models need to change. games are going to be broken up to lower the entry price.

Another option is: would you buy gears of war for 10$ per chapter + $20 for multiplayer?
I get the feeling publishers prefer to bundle it together though, that way they get $60 no matter how much you play or what aspects of the game u are interested in

jonno394

And how long would these ads continue for? Who decides if you've paid off the subsidized cost through watching ads? Or are you suggesting the ads would continue for perpetuity/for however long you own the console?

Good question, a two year period much like Microsofts xbox deal maybe?

YoungFa

I hope they're just suiting up for a patent lawsuit, given the latest technology business news. Even though I condemn this, it would be better than actually see this happen on the console of my choice..

Acosta

Fuck that, I wouldn't play with ads even if the companies payed me to do it. I would never play a game using that.

Good question, a two year period much like Microsofts xbox deal maybe?

two years of ads interrupting gameplay every 30 mins. What a terrible future.

Tow years would probably be the accepted length though, but I just can't imagine sitting through intrusive ads for two years.

A subsidized console would also require gamers to have a constant online connection. What happens if your BB connection is down for whatever reason or SEN is down for maintenance? Will the console refuse to play games as they can't stream ads?

jonno394

two years of ads interrupting gameplay every 30 mins. What a terrible future.

Tow years would probably be the accepted length though, but I just can't imagine sitting through intrusive ads for two years.

A subsidized console would also require gamers to have a constant online connection. What happens if your BB connection is down for whatever reason or SEN is down for maintenance? Will the console refuse to play games as they can't stream ads?

Unless maybe the ad's are on rotation, each week/month you download a patch (like firmware downloads) with the file getting saved on to your hard drive so that ad's are updated.

I agree it would be a terirble future, but It could be a low cost alternative for getting expensive next-gen consoles into households.

It is an optionI'd never take though, i'd rather pay full price and avoid these, I mean unskippable ads at the start of blu-rays/dvds are the bane of my existance.

Top Bottom