• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gigantic Open Beta Thread: It's not really a MOBA

Figments

icUwLro.jpg

Platforms:
Xbox One, Windows 10​
Release Date:
December 8th, 2016​
Developer:
Motiga​
Publisher:
Microsoft/Perfect World Entertainment​
Genre:
Action MOBA​
ESRB:
Teen--Violence and Blood​
Price:
FREE TO PLAY​

PC System Requirements
Minimum

Architecture: x64
DirectX: Version 11.1
Memory: 6 GB RAM
CPU: 2.6 GHz Processor
GPU: Geforce GTX 580 or AMD HD 6990 or higher
HDD Space: 10 GB (~5 GB actual download size as of 12.10.2016)
Recommended

Architecture: x64
DirectX: Version 11.1
Memory: 8 GB RAM
CPU: 3.2 GHz Processor
GPU: Geforce GTX 580 or AMD HD 6990 or higher
HDD Space: 10 GB (~5 GB actual download size as of 12.10.2016)

Official Website: Available Regions:
DRQuOFq.png

What is Gigantic?

As defined by the official game FAQ, Gigantic is a third-person shooter with MOBA-esque elements where you fight alongside a massive Guardian against an enemy team. Players must kill opponents, destroy creatures, and collect power orbs to fuel their Guardian's attack and take home victory.

(The link should take you where you need to go.)

Maps available in the Beta
ZpUkn65.png

ga7inWZ.png

jwBKE82.png

That's all nice, but how do you play Gigantic?

If all you want to know is how to run, shoot, and the very basic of the fundamentals, the in-game tutorial is for you. However, as known for many months--well since the Closed Beta--said tutorial does very little to actually teach people how to win in Gigantic (though it is getting better). While there aren't many useful guides around to help, there are many people in this very thread who can either point you in the right direction or lend some hands-on help to get you where you need to be.

The basics, however, are this: Kill enemy players, kill their summoned creatures, and collect power orbs to fill the yellow Power meter at the top of the screen. When that meter is full, your Guardian will attack the other Guardian and allow you to actually damage it for a brief window of time. Wound the enemy Guardian three times and claim victory of the day.

DRQuOFq.png

FAQ: Frequently Asked Questions

I prefer not to use the Windows 10 Store. Is there anywhere else I can play the game?

Gigantic has a standard Win32 package available through Perfect World's Arc platform on Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10. Unfortunately, however, only the Xbox One and UWP Windows 10 versions of the game have access to the Open Beta. When the game fully launches, the Arc version will open up, as well.​

Since the game is F2P, does that mean I have to unlock characters?

Yes. All characters in Gigantic must be unlocked using either Crowns--the grindable in-game currency--or Rubies--the paid-for currency. Characters are priced according to their difficulty, and you can generally grind out the necessary crowns for a low-priced hero in around five games.​

If the game is available for UWP Windows 10 and Xbox One, does that mean it's a Play Anywhere title?

Yes! Gigantic features full cross-save and cross-play between both Windows 10 and Xbox One. And don't worry too much about imbalance due to control preference--pure shooting characters share the roster with full melee ones, and are balanced out accordingly. It's more action game than shooter.​

Do I need an Xbox Live Gold membership to play?

Only when playing on Xbox One. If you choose to play on PC, you can play online, party up with friends, et cetera, free of charge.​

Is there any DLC available for this game?

Yes. During the Open Beta, Motiga has made a Founder's Pack available for purchase. It gives you permanent access to all 16 current heroes, 4 upcoming heroes, two limited edition "Imperial" skins--one for Tyto the Swift and one for Charnok--and two exclusive Founder's profile icons.​

How much is the Founder's Pack?

$39.99 USD, pricing may vary depending on region.​

Can I still purchase the Founder's Pack after the game launches?

No. The Founder's Pack is only availble during the Open Beta period.​

Where do I submit feedback/bugs that I find in the game?

Use the official Gigantic forums on Arc here.​

Are there patch notes available for the current build of the game?

Yup. Check right here.​

Is there an official list of known issues?

Known issues are always updated in the patch notes for every update Gigantic recieves. The current known issues are here.​

DRQuOFq.png

Other Useful Things
Windows 10 Store Link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/gigantic/bnzn0x4r6tmr
Xbox Store Link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/gigantic-game-preview/bnzn0x4r6tmr

There is a GiganticGAF Club on Xbox. To join, PM me your gamertag so I know if the requests are coming from GAFers, then go to the Club page (search for GiganticGAF in the Clubs section of the Xbox app, or the Club section under Community on Xbox One) and request an invite. I'll add you as soon as I'm able.

DRQuOFq.png

See you guys on the battleground!

Theorry

Really enjoying me time with it wich i didnt expect. More because i was also thinking its more a MOBA. But it sure has influences but its more a Hero shooter like Overwatch. Wich i really enjoy.

Gowans

I've been flicking between Xbox and PC on this and it's starting to click now.

Defiantly not a moba with no creeps, towers or lanes, more of a character brawler.

I love the art style and the characters seem pretty meaty and varied and games seem to be a lot quicker to find. I believe the PC and Xbox players are pooled together too.

The founders pack seems like a lot tho, comparing it to smite where you get 70+ gods and all future ones at half the price, here you get 14 and 4 upcoming.

I'm liking it a lot tho, passed the kids test in watching me place, just hope I can get some games in with mates soon, it's free so no reason why not too.

Figments

Downloaded the Microsoft Store build, but it tells me I am not logged in when I start the app.

4zoeHS5.jpg

Maybe try opening the Xbox app and seeing if you're logged in there?

That could be why it's asking.

EDIT: Oh, that? Try restarting the game. It's a bug that happens on Xbox One, too, and they know about it.

I played this game way back in the closed beta, way back before Motiga got bought out by Perfect World. I really enjoyed the game back then, but eventually the closed beta weekends fell on weekends where I just couldn't play, so I fell off.

Now that open beta is here, I'm back in. I will admit that a $40 Founder's Pack is quite steep considering what you get, but the game is really fun and I just want all the characters unlocked.

The game itself is very different from other MOBAs/Hero Shooters out there, it really offers a different gameplay experience. The title of this topic is correct in that Gigantic is not really a MOBA, it's more akin to a third-person shooter/action game. Each character moves really quick, can dodge during combat, and has a swath of abilities. It really surprised me at how fun it is when in motion.

gtvdave

Downloaded the Microsoft Store build, but it tells me I am not logged in when I start the app.

Could not login in Xbox app either (0x406 error). Problem solved by re-registering all my Windows apps using this command in Windows Shell as Admin:

Get-AppXPackage | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

gtvdave

Downloaded it and I'm having a blast! Btw, is this coming to Steam?

Turning off VSync gets rid off the 30 FPS lock. This game's pacing really requires a steady 60FPS.

I played a round and had no idea what is going on, but had fun with it anyway. Just spammed abilities and upgraded them when needed :)

People with Overwatch experience: how does this game stack up? I'm curious.

Gigantic cannot really be compared to Overwatch in terms of gameplay; they're entirely different. Gigantic is much more like Super Monday Night Combat in how it feels and plays, since Gigantic is third person and OW is first person.

I guess OW has more modes? Gigantic currently only has one mode of play, and that's the current point capture & hold + team deathmatch where the goal of each game is to gather enough power for your team's giant monster so that it weakens the enemy team's giant monster, allowing you to hurt it directly. You earn power by holding points(and summoning monsters onto them), getting kills and picking up powerups.

The ebb and flow is more elongated than Overwatch. Team fights can last a while, it's crazy. TTK is higher, 3rd person, etc etc etc.

wipeout364

I was sure this was a moba. So are you saying its a third person shooter with heroes? No mobs, leveling up, nodes or end stations. That is weird because what little marketing I've seen made me think this was a moba. This is like the opposite of battleborn marketing if that's the case.

How long does are the games then 10 to 15 minutes?

BlizzKrut

Banned
I was sure this was a moba. So are you saying its a third person shooter with heroes? No mobs, leveling up, nodes or end stations. That is weird because what little marketing I've seen made me think this was a moba. This is like the opposite of battleborn marketing if that's the case.

Around the 20 minute mark, more or less.

It has levelling and 'towers', but towers are built by teams, and can be rebuilt if destroyed. No items a la a full MOBA, but many more choices than something like Overwatch.

Excited to give this a go. Played a good amount of the closed Alpha or beta (can't remember which), and it was super rough at that time due to it being so early. I really want to try the more fleshed out version! Downloading now.

Figments

When is it launching?

They haven't announced anything yet. Might be a year, might be six months. The only ones who would know at this point is Motiga, and--like the launch of the open beta--it's likely to be kept close to the chest for now.

Weston

Do you guys buy fortune card draws? It doesn't seem like it's worth it. Normal cards are like 100 to 150 crowns for 20 rubies. Even when you factor in completing set rewards, it seems like a net loss. I don't care much about prestige.

But I still buy them because it gives me something to aim for and the card art is nice.

Figments

Do you guys buy fortune card draws? It doesn't seem like it's worth it. Normal cards are like 100 to 150 crowns for 20 rubies. Even when you factor in completing set rewards, it seems like a net loss. I don't care much about prestige.

But I still buy them because it gives me something to aim for and the card art is nice.

They're useful at higher rarities, but for obvious reasons, that's all down to luck of the draw. The basic level ones are nice, since they give out a little Ruby reward, too, so you never really have to spend any money to get a new draw.

But yeah, I do agree that--with my shitty luck--most cards I get are completely useless for grinding out.

TheRed

This game is really fun after I played a few matches to get used to it. The art style and animation are very good.

I'm buying them, but not sure I'm doing the right thing considering the skins cost rubies.

I played the alpha. I played the closed beta (also on Windows store).

Now I go to download the open beta I get this message, the download can't start.

Error code: 0x800728F8

Nice Microsoft. Nice.

Figments

Does the XB1 version run at 30 or 60fps?

I believe it may be 30FPS, but I'm not too sure. Maybe DF would look at this. :p

In other news, I really hope they work out the occasional disconnects. I really don't like it kicking me then giving me a timeout penalty for quitting when I was forced to.

Wow the windows 10 store is weaponised garbage.

Can't uninstall downloaded apps like this one from control panel, because fuck me right?

Can't run monitor or recording software in.the game. Again because fuck me.

Can't change where your recordings save to when using the windows 10 in built piece of garbage recording software.

How this garbage storefront gets past their own QA as acceptable for public useage is beyond me.

Figments

Wow the windows 10 store is weaponised garbage.

Can't uninstall downloaded apps like this one from control panel, because fuck me right?

Can't run monitor or recording software in.the game. Again because fuck me.

Can't change where your recordings save to when using the windows 10 in built piece of garbage recording software.

How this garbage storefront gets past their own QA as acceptable for public useage is beyond me.

1) You can uninstall any downloaded Windows Store app simply by right clicking and hitting Uninstall.

2) You can change your default capture location simply by moving the Captures folder from its default save point to somewhere else.

3) The monitor and recording software part is actually kind of shit, yes.

Figments

Motiga said last night on twitter they were going to do some adjustments to the matchmaking but more players doesn't hurt as well!

Yup. I'm just hoping that the steady influx grows quickly over the coming weeks. This game deserves the support, IMO.

When I got into a game on Xbox my controller wasn't working. I couldn't pause the game so I had to exit the game. Is anyone else getting this problem?

Figments

When I got into a game on Xbox my controller wasn't working. I couldn't pause the game so I had to exit the game. Is anyone else getting this problem?

Are you playing on Xbox One?

If so, do you have Guitar Hero Live and have the USB dongle plugged in?

For some reason, there's a bug where the game only recognizes the dongle as the player 1 controller and refuses to take any input from any other controller that may be connected, regardless of input.

Unplug the USB and it should work.

Otherwise, I have no idea.

This game feels REALLY nice.

Playing on PC.

Went for 17 kills on robot dude in a W first game.

edit: this game looks, feels and plays like what Battleborn was supposed to look, feel and play like. Will buy.

docbon

Yeah, but you can just spend 40 dollars and unlock all the current heroes, plus the four coming later in the beta. If you really enjoy the game, I would just do that because grinding these hero unlocks will take quite a bit of time.

I'll join the club, but I also suggest getting a discord channel set up as well.

This game feels REALLY nice.

Playing on PC.

Went for 17 kills on robot dude in a W first game.

edit: this game looks, feels and plays like what Battleborn was supposed to look, feel and play like. Will buy.
They both play way differently.
Are you playing on Xbox One?

If so, do you have Guitar Hero Live and have the USB dongle plugged in?

For some reason, there's a bug where the game only recognizes the dongle as the player 1 controller and refuses to take any input from any other controller that may be connected, regardless of input.

Unplug the USB and it should work.

Otherwise, I have no idea.
I actually do have the Guitar Hero USB plugged in. I'll see what happens.

Yeah, but you can just spend 40 dollars and unlock all the current heroes, plus the four coming later in the beta. If you really enjoy the game, I would just do that because grinding these hero unlocks will take quite a bit of time.

I'll join the club, but I also suggest getting a discord channel set up as well.

Oh yeah, I purchase the founder's pack.

Top Bottom