• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Wars 2 |OT| Warranty For Suckers

Fuchsdh

What's going on with the Johnson voice over/actor?

Apparently there's a VA strike going on right now, so David Scully was unable to voice the role.

Also, I had forgotten how much I missed allied vision indicators in multiplayer. Makes playing with randoms so much easier.

Akai__

Johnson's up for me. Mechs ahoy! (Slightly sad there's no achievements but I guess I'm fine with keeping my 100%).

Yup, no achievements, but it's pretty cool they gave him the Mantis as this "theme vehicle."

Ahem:

New Achievements

Here are the three new Achievements that will be added to Halo Wars 2 with the Sergeant Johnson DLC:

• "Am I right, Marines?" - Win 3 matches as Sgt. Johnson (Multiplayer, Skirmish or Blitz)
  • "I dont do bits and pieces" - Use Healing Beacon special ability 15 times (Multiplayer, Skirmish or Blitz)
  • "For a brick, he flew pretty good!" - Kill 50 infantry units with the Colossus' Stomp ability (Multiplayer, Skirmish or Blitz)

I know they weren't live at that time. :p

Fuchsdh

Ahem:

I know they weren't live at that time. :p

Whoops.

I'm liking the bunker ability in Blitz. If they're not going to vary up map conditions much in the mode than having more leader flexibility with area denial/control like this and Colony's abilities are nice and welcome. Breaks things up beyond the go-to "park siege units and camp" strategy.

The fact that they still haven't fixed the whole "re-download the entire game" bug is... Incredibly frustrating and annoying. I'm probably gonna uninstall it, I just can't be bothered to re-download all 28 GB EVERY SINGLE TIME there's an update. I mean it's almost a game-breaking bug at this point, it's pathetic and beyond ridiculous that something like this made it through QA and certification let alone 3 months of actual updates.

Lucifon

The fact that they still haven't fixed the whole "re-download the entire game" bug is... Incredibly frustrating and annoying. I'm probably gonna uninstall it, I just can't be bothered to re-download all 28 GB EVERY SINGLE TIME there's an update. I mean it's almost a game-breaking bug at this point, it's pathetic and beyond ridiculous that something like this made it through QA and certification let alone 3 months of actual updates.

This. It's happening to multiple of my friends too. I have fibre so it's a pain in the ass but not the worst thing in the world. But I have friends who literally take 4+ hours to download that and it uses a huge chunk of their cap. How is this not fixed yet.

dLMN8R

This. It's happening to multiple of my friends too. I have fibre so it's a pain in the ass but not the worst thing in the world. But I have friends who literally take 4+ hours to download that and it uses a huge chunk of their cap. How is this not fixed yet.

On Xbox or PC?

vsMIC

How's Johnson?

First impressions from halowaypoint forum are very mixed, from terrible to solid. Tested him also for some games, but does not fit my playstyle. Maybe he clicks later...

He seems to be more defensive in early game and shining (?) in mid game. Mechs are not bad, particularly Mantis with upgrades (Warthog replacement). But expensive (resources/population) and very, very slow. Obviously heavy use of Pelican transport is necessary. And as both mechs are vehicle, they get shred by cyclops, air, etc. EMP bomb seems to be goodd on vehicles. His (not upgraded) bunker drop can be easily bombed and destroyed early game and costs population. Could not thouroghly test the Jonsohn hero.

I guess it will take more time to conclude...

m23

First impressions from halowaypoint forum are very mixed, from terrible to solid. Tested him also for some games, but does not fit my playstyle. Maybe he clicks later...

He seems to be more defensive in early game and shining (?) in mid game. Mechs are not bad, particularly Mantis with upgrades (Warthog replacement). But expensive (resources/population) and very, very slow. Obviously heavy use of Pelican transport is necessary. And as both mechs are vehicle, they get shred by cyclops, air, etc. EMP bomb seems to be goodd on vehicles. His (not upgraded) bunker drop can be easily bombed and destroyed early game and costs population. Could not thouroghly test the Jonsohn hero.

I guess it will take more time to conclude...

Interesting. I have yet to try him out. I doubt he will be able to pull me away from Colony.

Akai__

I've been hit with the stupid game re-download bug yeseterday. I then played 1 game with Johnson and noticed that the achievements are not even live.

Turn the game on today and they are still not live...

Fuchsdh

I've been hit with the stupid game re-download bug yeseterday. I then played 1 game with Johnson and noticed that the achievements are not even live.

Turn the game on today and they are still not live...

They're live for me at least. Have been since late yesterday.

Fuchsdh

I restarted my Xbox One a couple times now. Not appearing for me. :(

Huh. That's really weird.

It should still be tracking your progress behind-the-scenes, though (I had two games before the achievements went live and my third win got me that one) so you can still probably finish them off.

foxdvd

OK, so I bought this on release along with my buddy so we could coop the campaign. We have not had time to play until now, so almost three months after release you would think we would have no issues playing together right? WRONG.

Every game we try and play we can make it through the end of the mission then the game crashes out and says your partner has resigned. This literally happens during the ending cinema of the second mission every time. We have tried like 5 times and cannot progress.

I am very disappointed in 343i for having their name on the box of ANOTHER Halo game with issues playing online. I have looked for solutions online and see we are not the only people with this issue.

I'm playing on a XB1S and my buddy on OG XB1. Anyone in this thread have this happen to them and can give me anything to try?
LLShC.gif
LLShC.gif

does anyone know if this was ever patched? Patch notes are not clear, but I am having the same issue.

Anion

On Xbox or PC?

Yeah this keeps happening to my friends. Its not an issue for me as I have pretty neat speeds, but one of my friends has a very very low bandwidth - so it takes him at least a day or two to download 30gb...

This is on Xbox

Fuchsdh

Achievements started to appear for me earlier today.

The Stomp achievement is pretty tiresome, though.

Buildings count. What I did was corral the enemy to one base and waltz up and stomp their buildings, back up and repeat. Get two Collosi and alternate their stomping power on different bases.

Akai__

Buildings count. What I did was corral the enemy to one base and waltz up and stomp their buildings, back up and repeat. Get two Collosi and alternate their stomping power on different bases.

I didn't have the patience to do this, so I asked a random in matchmaking if he would help me. Stomped a big ball of Marines/Hellbringers and got ~20% with every stomp. Much easier.

Hey guys, I'm finally going to buy this, but I have a quick question- is the season pass worth $12 if I don't care about multiplayer?

Basically, I can run to Wal-Mart and buy the regular version for $39.99, or get the Ultimate Edition through the MS store for $51.99 right now.

Are the extra campaign missions worth it?

Hey guys, I'm finally going to buy this, but I have a quick question- is the season pass worth $12 if I don't care about multiplayer?

Basically, I can run to Wal-Mart and buy the regular version for $39.99, or get the Ultimate Edition through the MS store for $51.99 right now.

The extra campaign missions haven't been released yet and we don't even know anything about them. But the ultimate comes with the definitive version of halo wars 1 and to me that is worth the extra money.

Streaks

Multiplayer is where the games shines. I honestly haven't finished the single player campaign yet but from what I remember reading it leaves you at a cliffhanger. I'm assuming the DLC wraps up the story. So if you want the full story, the Ultimate version is probably the better version. I'm assuming it'll be announced at E3.

If you want an even better deal, CDKeys has the Ult version at $45 with 5% off if you like them on FB I believe. I'd get the Ult version there.

http://www.cdkeys.com/xbox-live/games/halo-wars-2-ultimate-edition-xbox-one-pc

The extra campaign missions haven't been released yet and we don't even know anything about them. But the ultimate comes with the definitive version of halo wars 1 and to me that is worth the extra money.

Oh, bizarre on the extra missions. I had an extremely busy few months so I haven't kept track of anything, I just now have time to actually buy and play it. Thanks for reminding me about the definitive edition! Totally forgot about that.

Multiplayer is where the games shines. I honestly haven't finished the single player campaign yet but from what I remember reading it leaves you at a cliffhanger. I'm assuming the DLC wraps up the story. So if you want the full story, the Ultimate version is probably the better version. I'm assuming it'll be announced at E3.

If you want an even better deal, CDKeys has the Ult version at $45 with 5% off if you like them on FB I believe. I'd get the Ult version there.

http://www.cdkeys.com/xbox-live/games/halo-wars-2-ultimate-edition-xbox-one-pc

Nice, I'll go there. Multiplayer might be super neat, but I haven't played PvP RTS in over 10 years, and even then it was super casual. How is the skill matching though? Would I be playing equally bad people? Then it might be okay.

Streaks

Matchmaking is pretty good in ranked play, not sure how it is in the casual games. Honestly, the competition can be pretty brutal. I prefer team games to 1v1. You'll probably lose your first 10 games but just watch some vids online until you get the gist of it. The game is deeper than you think. Since there are two factions and different leaders on each side, the game can be quite overwhelming at first. You have to learn each leader's play style and abilities to really play against or with them. It's like playing a fighting game for the first time and going online. My only real experience with RTS prior to this was Empire Earth 12 years ago and a little HW1 back in 09. As frustrating as it is, it can be equally rewarding

Anon67

Why is the ranked matching making so bad? My friend and I keep getting paired up with incompetent players who don't build armies well nor support us effectively. We have to babysit these losers when they get attacked, which is awful because our armies get weakened and at the same time, other enemies start encroaching onto our other bases. We are now losing due to incompetence, I feel, not because the enemy played better than us. I can't imagine how we are paired up with brain dead players when we are upper platinum / lower diamond. You'd think people at this tank would play at least decently but apartently not...

If you don't know how to play the game, please play unranked. Or at least play with your friends so you can lose together.

m23

Why is the ranked matching making so bad? My friend and I keep getting paired up with incompetent players who don't build armies well nor support us effectively. We have to babysit these losers when they get attacked, which is awful because our armies get weakened and at the same time, other enemies start encroaching onto our other bases. We are now losing due to incompetence, I feel, not because the enemy played better than us. I can't imagine how we are paired up with brain dead players when we are upper platinum / lower diamond. You'd think people at this tank would play at least decently but apartently not...

If you don't know how to play the game, please play unranked. Or at least play with your friends so you can lose together.

That's what happens when you play with randoms. I choose only to play with either people I know or people with mics. Use the lfg feature, it helps a lot.

I don't know why you're blaming people for just wanting to play the game. This is pretty much every online mp game.

Facundo_Lopez

Neo Member
That's what happens when you play with randoms. I choose only to play with either people I know or people with mics. Use the lfg feature, it helps a lot.

I don't know why you're blaming people for just wanting to play the game. This is pretty much every online mp game.

Is there any NeoGAF club to post? should we make one?

m23

Is there any NeoGAF club to post? should we make one?

Not sure if there is a GAF club, probably is. I just go on lfg when I'm looking for a teammate and usually find someone.

I've also gotten friend requests after intense 1v1 matches and found people to play with that way. It's been a very long time since gg messages were so prevalent.

Love this game.

Finally picked up the mp after months. I was a total scrub. Played with M23 and lost a match that we should have easily won were it not for my tunnel vision. I was just building Grizzlies and hornets and not bothering to use counter units effectively. Enemy team's were building tons of air and anti-air and wiped me out so fast. Kind of sad about it considering it's one of the few losses I've had in the Halo Wars 1 franchise.

Regardless I'm already confident I'll get back in the flow tonight! Time to go 20-0 for the next 20 matches

Anon67

Upper level players should have SOME competence in their game but I see this isn't the case much more often than in any other online game. They literally act like beginners who have no idea what to do. I don't see this level of idiocy that often in ranked modes of other online competitive games. In unranked, yeah I understand this because it's unranked.

Upper level players should have SOME competence in their game but I see this isn't the case much more often than in any other online game. They literally act like beginners who have no idea what to do. I don't see this level of idiocy that often in ranked modes of other online competitive games. In unranked, yeah I understand this because it's unranked.

Some things never change in Halo XD. I swear I've always ran into stuff like this even in Halo 3/Reach

Well, I just finished the campaign. What it had was good, but it didn't seem to have that much.

I would have really liked more classic RTS missions, where you build up a base and wreck shit at your leisure. I never felt like I really explored the tech tree, or got a feeling for a lot of the top-tier units. Too many timed objectives for my taste.

m23

Well, I just finished the campaign. What it had was good, but it didn't seem to have that much.

I would have really liked more classic RTS missions, where you build up a base and wreck shit at your leisure. I never felt like I really explored the tech tree, or got a feeling for a lot of the top-tier units. Too many timed objectives for my taste.

The game would have been way too easy if it wasn't for the timed aspects. It forces you to make decisions effectively and efficiently rather than just turtling. Though there were a couple missions which gave you time to do that as well, I think it was well balanced in that regard.

The AI leader powers were BS though.

Fuchsdh

The game would have been way too easy if it wasn't for the timed aspects. It forces you to make decisions effectively and efficiently rather than just turtling. Though there were a couple missions which gave you time to do that as well, I think it was well balanced in that regard.

The AI leader powers were BS though.

Honestly playing the game on legendary I didn't think the leader powers made much of a difference. I just split my forces a bit and then just dumped a healing leader power on the force that was taking the brunt, it was enough to negate the majority of the damage. Overall I found the game on Legendary easier than HW.

m23

Honestly playing the game on legendary I didn't think the leader powers made much of a difference. I just split my forces a bit and then just dumped a healing leader power on the force that was taking the brunt, it was enough to negate the majority of the damage. Overall I found the game on Legendary easier than HW.

I'm too scared to even attempt legendary lol. I've hit Onyx rank in 1v1 but the campaign on legendary I think may be too much. I should try though, especially now that I've played PvP so much and know the units much more.

Fuchsdh

I'm too scared to even attempt legendary lol. I've hit Onyx rank in 1v1 but the campaign on legendary I think may be too much. I should try though, especially now that I've played PvP so much and know the units much more.

Honestly if you turn on the helpful skulls (more HP, leader power recharge, more supplies) it's pretty trivial. The only one that gave me any difficulty and I actually failed was the initial Alice one where you don't get any more units to hold out at the end.

Top Bottom