• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atelier Totori Plus (Vita) |OT| Stealthily Adventuring onto PSN

Alright, just bought this so hopefully I enjoy it given I've never played a game in the series. I really have no self-control, Monster Hunter shall have to wait.

Edit: New page woes, suppose I'll ask a question. Any tips for someone new to the series?

Rarutos

Nah I just did that randomly.

Yep, that's why it kinda sucks. :(

Eh, I like that Gust switches series every 2/3 games! It allows me to meet more lovely characters. And I thought Meruru wasn't as good as Rorona/Totori in a story/dialogue sense because the old characters kind of took all of the spotlight from the new ones.

Stark

Banned
Yeah, the thing that bothered me the most was how she was handled.

Yes, I <3 her.

She's my true sad life waifu.

My man and lol. :p

Eh, I like that Gust switches series every 2/3 games! It allows me to meet more lovely characters. And I thought Meruru wasn't as good as Rorona/Totori in a story/dialogue sense because the old characters kind of took all of the spotlight from the new ones.

I wish they hadn't done that. And I guess I have a bit of an odd stance on it, I don't like sequels since I know it'll shortly come to an end later if I really get attached to that world and its characters, but I also like to see more of that. It will probably end up the same for Ayesha. Hard to let go.

OceanBlue

Alright, just bought this so hopefully I enjoy it given I've never played a game in the series. I really have no self-control, Monster Hunter shall have to wait.

Edit: New page woes, suppose I'll ask a question. Any tips for someone new to the series?
Basically what Rarutos said. Also, you eventually are able to "Register" items so you don't need to keep making them. This is useful for items you need a lot of, like high quality Supplements. I used it so I didn't have to spend time making bombs and healing items, lol.

Basically, don't feel too stressed out to get everything right. You have a lot of time. I'll also add a warning: In my opinion, the game starts out pretty slow because you're really limited on what you can do. Once the game opens up, seeing all of the new locations and making new items to fight bosses or take on areas is a lot of fun. I think one of the more fulfilling things in this series is getting destroyed by a boss, spending a month or two in-game mixing items for amazing bombs and equipment, and beating it later.

That's definitely what I felt about Meruru as well. I loved the original characters in Meruru, but it definitely felt more dependent on Totori than Totori did on Rorona. That and the seemingly more limited world put Totori ahead of Meruru for me, although seeing your gathered items become better as you improved each area was great and I really liked the additions/improvements to the game.

Varion

Probably because Rorona Plus doesn't exist and Meruru Plus is just coming out tomorrow in Japan! Or is it today now?
It's up there now.

Still waiting for reports out of Japan whether they really did fix a certain plot issue (
Rorona not getting her memories back at all. Normally I wouldn't expect them to change that but NEW EVENTS and ADDITIONAL ENDING with screenshots that relate to that have my hopes up right up.
) I didn't like to decide whether I'm going to double dip on it. If they did, I will. It's my favourite of the trilogy anyway, I'd be happy for an excuse to replay it.

vall03

I think one of the more fulfilling things in this series is getting destroyed by a boss, spending a month or two in-game mixing items for amazing bombs and equipment, and beating it later.

My god, now Im remembering how I got destroyed by
Flauschtraut
several times and was about to give up. Then I came back with slightly better bombs and somehow made it through.

Is there a DLC pack to make this game less creepy? Can I pick a character that isn't an 11 y/o girl who you don't play dress up with?

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Is there a DLC pack to make this game less creepy? Can I pick a character that isn't an 11 y/o girl who you don't play dress up with?
I don't think you're the target audience for this game.

Rarutos

Still waiting for reports out of Japan whether they really did fix a certain plot issue (
Rorona not getting her memories back at all. Normally I wouldn't expect them to change that but NEW EVENTS and ADDITIONAL ENDING with screenshots that relate to that have my hopes up right up.
) I didn't like to decide whether I'm going to double dip on it. If they did, I will. It's my favourite of the trilogy anyway, I'd be happy for an excuse to replay it.

I hope to Joo Dee that what you're saying is true. I'd be so happy.

Eusis

It's really is peculiar how this is the series people seem to have latched onto Atelier to go "hey look fanservice" when there's only a couple in each game usually. Esp. since (maybe I just don't see it often enough) Neptunia is much more wall-to-wall fanservice than Atelier ever was and doesn't seem to get anywhere near as much thrown at it. :/
Well, in general it seems to me more that the Arland games sorta dance along the line. This isn't Neptunia or later Ar Tonelico by a long shot (from what I heard/saw of them anyway), but just early in Rorona you see Rorona's ADULT tutor making suggestive teasing, and it seems that sorta stuff is through the whole series (nevermind the octopus or whatever attack.) It's enough to give pause whether or not it REALLY goes too far. Probably on the same level as something like Evangelion actually (though that does kinda bug me now that I'm not in the same age range as the main characters.)

EDIT: And don't forget Meruru got re-rated in Japan, and Totori's rating going up in Australia despite the additions alone seemingly not being enough to bump it. There's clearly ENOUGH there, even if it's not enough to go to M like Neptunia and Ar Tonelico did.

OceanBlue

My god, now Im remembering how I got destroyed by
Flauschtraut
several times and was about to give up. Then I came back with slightly better bombs and somehow made it through.

Haha, I was thinking of the Wyvren in Meruru. The first time I fought it, I got my shit wrecked. After I spent two months making really awesome equipment and bombs, I dominated it. The battle theme for that fight was amazing, and I finished it off with
Sterk
's special, which is the first time I had ever beaten anyone with a special in Meruru. It felt great.

Stuart444

Nah, I liked her! I just didn't like how she was handled. I would have been a lot happier with her presence if she had retained her memories, at least. (Or eventually got them back in-game)

Oh yeah, that REALLY annoyed me :/. She could have been handled just so much better.

vall03

Haha, I was thinking of the Wyvren in Meruru. The first time I fought it, I got my shit wrecked. After I spent two months making really awesome equipment and bombs, I dominated it. The battle theme for that fight was amazing, and I finished it off with
Sterk
's special, which is the first time I had ever beaten anyone with a special in Meruru. It felt great.

Eh? I don't think there was any particularly difficult boss in Meruru imo. Considering how OP the new traits they added. Theres also that Lias skill that you can abuse. Every enemy outside of Makina Domain, I was able to sweep the floor including
Masked G
in just a few turns.

This is also going to be my problem in Totori when I play it again, since the bombs here are weak compared to the ones in Rorona and Meruru. Now I shudder at the thought of fighting
Flauschtraut
again with sub-optimal gear.

Eusis

Is the game related to the rest of the series story-wise?
To Rorona and Meruru, yes. If it's got Arland in the subtitle it's connected. Same, I presume, will happen with Atelier Ayesha and Dusk.

On that note, the games actually had plainer subtitles in Japan. Rorona's was the same, but Totori was "Alchemist of Arland 2" and Meruru was "Alechmist of Arland 3". I expect if the Dusk games do the same and TK keeps bringing them over it'll follow the same pattern since they're phoning this in anyway.

OceanBlue

Is the game related to the rest of the series story-wise?

The Arland trilogy (Rorona, Totori, Meruru) are related. That being said, so many people say to skip Rorona because of the improvements in Totori that it probably isn't a really big deal. I'd say it's fine, since the plot of Totori isn't really related, but there are a few reoccuring characters.

Eh? I don't think there was any particularly difficult boss in Meruru imo. Considering how OP the new traits they added. Theres also that Lias skill that you can abuse. Every enemy outside of Makina Domain, I was able to sweep the floor including
Masked G
in just a few turns.

This is also going to be my problem in Totori when I play it again, since the bombs here are weak compared to the ones in Rorona and Meruru. Now I shudder at the thought of fighting
Flauschtraut
again with sub-optimal gear.

Wow, really? Lol, I guess that shows how bad I am at these games.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Man.. can't decide between this or Ayesha. I rented Totori and played about 5 hours and loved it. Ayesha looks so good too though..

Man.. can't decide between this or Ayesha. I rented Totori and played about 5 hours and loved it. Ayesha looks so good too though..

Totori for portability, but Ayesha is amazing too! They will both be there forever (essentially) no matter which one you pick. :)

Eusis

I kind of expect that unless you REALLY value portability that if you're just going to jump in cold and skip Rorona you may as well just play Ayesha first instead, then if you like it go back. It seems like Rorona can leave a bad taste in people's mouths (didn't get too far yet, but maybe that says something there?), yet if you dig seeing continuity it'll be worth going through for Totori/Meruru, plus it's clearly not a pain to play like older JRPGs can be (I can't seriously recommend playing pre-IV Phantasy Star games just for continuity, not unless you got the Collection off of the Japanese PSN and just set things to be fast/easy.)

Also I believe the main character IS 14-17 in each game, at least by the Japanese ages (I think they quietly aged at least Rorona up here), so it's still kinda bad but not AS bad as having 11 year olds.

Pomegranate

Neo Member
Thanks guys for answering. I never played any game in the series and I don't have a PS3. Is it okay to start here or do I need to know what happened in Rorona and Meruru first?

Rarutos

Thanks guys for answering. I never played any game in the series and I don't have a PS3. Is it okay to start here or do I need to know what happened in Rorona and Meruru first?

Meruru is the sequel, so no worries about that. It's fine to skip Rorona, you'll just miss a few jokes/references here and there.

Eusis

Meruru's a sequel, so that's definitely no. Rorona's the prequel, but most don't consider it essential, though there's recurring characters. Given they deliberately skipped Rorona I wouldn't sweat it, if it were really necessary then it's a problem on their end for skipping ahead (similar to EA opting to get ME2 on PS3 without 1, and ME3 on Wii U without 1/2.)

Rarutos

Meruru's a sequel, so that's definitely no. Rorona's the prequel, but most don't consider it essential, though there's recurring characters. Given they deliberately skipped Rorona I wouldn't sweat it, if it were really necessary then it's a problem on their end for skipping ahead (similar to EA opting to get ME2 on PS3 without 1, and ME3 on Wii U without 1/2.)

I think they only skipped making a Rorona Plus because it would have required more work.

I don't... wait... what?

I just woke up and I'm so confused. Did this really just get stealth released without any kind of announcement beforehand?

That's spectacular in how ridiculous it is.

Eusis

I think they only skipped making a Rorona Plus because it would have required more work.
I do find that kind of odd given they're all on the Phyre Engine, but maybe there's something I'm not understanding here? Or it has to do with how big of a jump Totori was over Rorona and the problems it'd take to bring it up to par (visual overhaul, battle overhaul if Ayesha's not entirely different and those screenshots DO make it seem like they share the battle system), and combined with the fact it was no ME1 was easy to just skip.

Rarutos

I do find that kind of odd given they're all on the Phyre Engine, but maybe there's something I'm not understanding here? Or it has to do with how big of a jump Totori was over Rorona and the problems it'd take to bring it up to par (visual overhaul, battle overhaul if Ayesha's not entirely different and those screenshots DO make it seem like they share the battle system), and combined with the fact it was no ME1 was easy to just skip.

I think if they want to bring it up to par with Totori/Meruru/Ayesha they'd need to update the graphics for sure, as well as to update the systems in the game that the subsequent games greatly improved on so that the newer fans wouldn't be so averse to it if they pick it up... I know a few people that got Rorona after playing Totori, and they felt like Rorona was a chore. :(

So essentially, Rorona would need a remake rather than just a port.

I personally could probably go back to Rorona and love it to pieces all over again just fine, but I'm obviously not everyone.

Varion

I hope to Joo Dee that what you're saying is true. I'd be so happy.

Well having checked the trophy list there's a very promising sounding gold trophy added with the description (Meruru Plus trophy list spoiler)
'Returned Rorona to her original form'. Doesn't specifically say memories but surely they wouldn't give that far and not the extra mile.
Anyway Neowing had one first press left and there seems to be double the bosses too made me buy it. Whistle.

Seems like it. It's looking (judging by the comments at the latest game's release + the tease at the end of the Meruru Plus countdown) like they'd rather give it the full remake treatment. I love it as it is, but I can't say I wouldn't love a remake to bring it up to the quality of the rest even more.

Rarutos

Well having checked the trophy list there's a very promising sounding gold trophy added with the description (Meruru Plus trophy list spoiler)
'Returned Rorona to her original form'. Doesn't specifically say memories but surely they wouldn't give that far and not the extra mile.
Anyway Neowing had one first press left and there seems to be double the bosses too made me buy it. Whistle.

Seems like it. It's looking (judging by the comments at the latest game's release + the tease at the end of the Meruru Plus countdown) like they'd rather give it the full remake treatment. I love it as it is, but I can't say I wouldn't love a remake to bring it up to the quality of the rest even more.
I'm starting to get all excited now.

Stark

Banned

Tecmo pls. Surprise me next week. ;_;

kuroshiki

So I did some calculation.

1. Rocket bird = 6
2. Costume pack from DOA5 = 13
3. Earth Defense Force = 30

This should be around 50

and now if I buy

4. Totori = 40
5. HSG DLC pack = 13

that would be 53, so roughly 100.

Does that mean that I will get $20 return next month from PSN?

vall03

Correct me if Im wrong, but wasn't there an ending in Meruru wherein that exactly happened? Albeit, Rorona returned to her old pre-Totori self. Or is this different?

Rarutos

Correct me if Im wrong, but wasn't there an ending in Meruru wherein that exactly happened? Albeit, Rorona returned to her old pre-Totori self. Or is this different?

By "original" form, I hope they meant with memories in-tact and at her proper age. This is supposedly a new trophy after all! That, and there wasn't a Gold trophy involving just Rorona in the original at all. The Gold trophy where she does turn back is called "Witch's Tea Party" but that involves everyone getting turned younger too.

vall03

By "original" form, I hope they meant with memories in-tact and at her proper age. This is supposedly a new trophy after all! That, and there wasn't a Gold trophy involving just Rorona in the original at all. The Gold trophy where she does turn back is called "Witch's Tea Party" but that involves everyone getting turned younger too.

Oh! Its a new trophy, so thats why! I was kinda disappointed in Totori Plus having the same set of trophies with the PS3 version. Looks like theres significantly more added content in Meruru Plus. Now Im getting hyped for it!

Top Bottom