• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

River City Underground (PC) Launch trailer - Coming on February 27!

King Kye

Banned
It's a low budget game and the Kickstarter didn't do well enough to meet its console stretch goals. Did you back it?

Never heard of it until this year.
It can probably run on a toaster. You have options.

So play it on PC. What's the problem?

I don't own a PC, but I own a Macbook Retina display. Hopefully that'll suffice. It would literally be my first Steam game or anything not on a console.

eastx

I don't own a PC, but I own a Macbook Retina display. Hopefully that'll suffice. It would literally be my first Steam game or anything not on a console.

Ah, well Underground does support Mac and Linux at least. Should be a good chance of it working for you. :)

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
I hope this blows up when released. I've been keeping track of this game since I funded on kickstarter, and it looks exactly like I hoped it would be. Can't wait to play.

MrFixIt

Somehow I had no idea this game existed until now. It actually looks great. Shame it's not coming out on console at the same time.

Sagroth

First I've heard of this(the original RCR is one of my all time fav NES games). Looks great, though I wish I could have helped to get it to console.

King Kye

Banned
I can't believe this post. If you wanted this on "consoles" so bad you could've kickstarted it.

The fuck are you talking about? I didn't even know this game existed until a few weeks ago and I actually thought it primarily on consoles already, for some reason.

Take your moral grandstanding elsewhere.

Card Boy

Banned
The fuck are you talking about? I didn't even know this game existed until a few weeks ago and I actually thought it primarily on consoles already, for some reason.

Take your moral grandstanding elsewhere.

1 post away from been a full member and not getting perma banned. Thats gotta hurt (I assume you got banned for posting in Trump threads)

Elixist

1 post away from been a full member and not getting perma banned. Thats gotta hurt (I assume you got banned for posting in Trump threads)

wouldnt be surprised if it was the whiny port beg either. Juniors warning dont port beg! if u do, do it very gently (would be cool to see on console ie) if u care about your account.

OmegaDL50

I hate to be a downer, but it doesn't seem to have the charm of the real thing. Nice effort, though.

Artwork/setting don't seem to match or mesh with the original. But that's ok. This looks good.

Ironically Double Dragon 4 was faithful to the original NES games to a fault and was heavily criticized for not pushing the envelope despite having the original Double Dragon development staff involved.

River City Ransom Underground is a complete opposite of this and yes I agree, I don't like some of the designs, especially the redesigns for Ryan or Alex.

Interestingly both Double Dragon and Kunio-kun series creator Yoshihisa Kishimoto was responsible for overseeing both projects.

Of the new characters, Glen is the only one that interests me. Hopefully "Kunio" and "Riki" are unlockable some way. While the game may be awesome, not really sure if I like the idea of Alex and Ryan becoming their own entities rather than some localization thing from years ago.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Ironically Double Dragon 4 was faithful to the original NES games to a fault and was heavily criticized for not pushing the envelope despite having the original Double Dragon development staff involved.
It was in a lot of ways watered down compared to the NES games. That's where it stumbled for me. Bland level design and odd pacing.

River City Ransom Underground is a complete opposite of this and yes I agree, I don't like some of the designs, especially the redesigns for Ryan or Alex.

I thought it was funny they got aged up, and they're still doing the teenage street punk thing.

OmegaDL50

It was in a lot of ways watered down compared to the NES games. That's where it stumbled for me. Bland level design and odd pacing.

I'm talking more about their character designs in general in that they look nothing like their original sprite designs just redone in the newer art style. Alex with Blond Hair for example.

It's more so that this Alex and Ryan have become entirely new characters and simply aren't just localized names of Kunio and Riki.

I was hoping throwback designs would be included but this is basically "River City Ransom" that takes place in America including many of the localized changes and story elements of the western release of RCR making it a separate entity to the actual Kunio-Kun games.

I think it's Alex having blond hair is what is throwing me off, Ryan / Riki's design seems consistent with the Bosozoku outfit, stomach wraps, blue hair in a pompadour. Alex however is way off going from brown hair in the source art to orange / blond is odd choice, especially considering this is official artwork that Conatus Creative made, which looks way more faithful rather that what it currently is now.

alex-coverart.png

@MUWANdo

Banned
Interestingly both Double Dragon and Kunio-kun series creator Yoshihisa Kishimoto was responsible for overseeing both projects.

Kishimoto has overseen a lot of bad games and has even admitted that he's treated his role as a paycheck from time to time. I don't think his involvement or lack thereof means much anymore.

OmegaDL50

What is the chronology of the River series and which ones are available in English to play?

There the only continuity this game has is with the original River City Ransom on the NES which is heavily Westernized to the point of the sprite designs being changed to T-Shirts and Jeans rather than Japanese style school uniforms, as well as the plot being entirely changed for Western audiences.

But to answer your question. Only four games of this series were officially localized in the west.

River City Ransom on the NES, River City Ransom EX on the Gameboy Advance, River City Tokyo Rumble on the 3DS.

Tokyo Rumble is the newest mainline game in the series based on the SP version of Nekketsu Koha Kunio-Kun

There is a bunch of side games as well such as Kunio-Kun Soccer (Nintendo World Cup), Crash N' the Boys Street Challenge (I forgot the original title), and Super Dodge Ball.

There is over a dozen games in the series though. None of the ones from the SNES, PC Engine / Turbo Duo were localized.

Tizoc

When do games typically go up on Steam?
There is not set time frame
But if u go to a game's page it can tell u when the game releases.
Generally though assume games unlck or be available for purchase within 12ish hours from now

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
I'm talking more about their character designs in general in that they look nothing like their original sprite designs just redone in the newer art style. Alex with Blond Hair for example.

It's more so that this Alex and Ryan have become entirely new characters and simply aren't just localized names of Kunio and Riki.

I was hoping throwback designs would be included but this is basically "River City Ransom" that takes place in America including many of the localized changes and story elements of the western release of RCR making it a separate entity to the actual Kunio-Kun games.

I think it's Alex having blond hair is what is throwing me off, Ryan / Riki's design seems consistent with the Bosozoku outfit, stomach wraps, blue hair in a pompadour. Alex however is way off going from brown hair in the source art to orange / blond is odd choice, especially considering this is official artwork that Conatus Creative made, which looks way more faithful rather that what it currently is now.

saw this in the backer rewards

You'll receive everything in the LEAD PIPE reward tier, along with unlocked Kunio and Riki variations for your Alex and Ryan characters.

Nessus

Anyone know how you're supposed to claim your Steam key if you backed the Kickstarter at the $15 digital copy level? I scanned some of the more recent Kickstarter updates and couldn't find any instructions.

Psxphile

Anyone know how you're supposed to claim your Steam key if you backed the Kickstarter at the $15 digital copy level? I scanned some of the more recent Kickstarter updates and couldn't find any instructions.

I assume they'd be sending out emails w/ instructions. I think I backed at the 15 tier too.

plushyp

There the only continuity this game has is with the original River City Ransom on the NES which is heavily Westernized to the point of the sprite designs being changed to T-Shirts and Jeans rather than Japanese style school uniforms, as well as the plot being entirely changed for Western audiences.

But to answer your question. Only four games of this series were officially localized in the west.

River City Ransom on the NES, River City Ransom EX on the Gameboy Advance, River City Tokyo Rumble on the 3DS.

Tokyo Rumble is the newest mainline game in the series based on the SP version of Nekketsu Koha Kunio-Kun

There is a bunch of side games as well such as Kunio-Kun Soccer (Nintendo World Cup), Crash N' the Boys Street Challenge (I forgot the original title), and Super Dodge Ball.

There is over a dozen games in the series though. None of the ones from the SNES, PC Engine / Turbo Duo were localized.
Thanks a lot for clearing it up! It was confusing me quite a bit before.

Edit:
Just to be clear, Underground follows the rewritten story of Ransom for NES, right? So Underground has no link to Ransom EX for GBA?

OmegaDL50

saw this in the backer rewards

Meh, I don't like how they hid that behind the $75 level backer level. You'd think that sort of content of having the original Kunio and Riki designs be in the game as is as a respect to the source material without hiding it behind some exclusivity and whatnot. Oh well.

Thanks a lot for clearing it up! It was confusing me quite a bit before.

Edit:
Just to be clear, Underground follows the rewritten story of Ransom for NES, right? So Underground has no link to Ransom EX for GBA?

Well Ransom EX on the GBA is a remake of Downtown Nekketsu Monogatari with new moves, new characters to play as, but it follows the overall story of the original game so it's a remake in a sense, just closer to the source material without the name changes and sprite edits in this case.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
Meh, I don't like how they hid that behind the $75 level backer level. You'd think that sort of content of having the original Kunio and Riki designs be in the game as is as a respect to the source material without hiding it behind some exclusivity and whatnot. Oh well.

It means it at least exists, and there will be some way to mod it into the game for the nonbackers. You know the temptation is too great.

eagledare

Are codes going out yet? Assume they will show up in my kickstarter account portal when ready?

Hype cannot be contained at this point.

Top Bottom