• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 09•29-10•01•17 - Cruise spitroasted by Pennywise and Kingsman, Flatliners DOA

kevin1025

Banned
I think the last truly great Ridley Scott film was American Gangster, but I’ve definitely liked the hell out of a good chunk of his movies since then.

J_Viper

Please no one go in that Nelly thread, we can't lose any more BO GAF members

I'd say Prometheus was the inbetween. Not good or not bad. Alien Convenant was trash though.

The acting from everyone except Noomi and Bender is what brings Prometheus down to hot garbage.

At least Covenant had decent enough performances

The acting from everyone except Noomi and Bender is what brings Prometheus down to hot garbage.

At least Covenant had decent enough performances
The fingering and shower sex are both more than enough for me to consider Convenant hot garbage. People acted stupid in both movies but Prometheus had a sense of mystery surrounding it. These type of movies don't need Oscar worthy acting to be memorable.

One of the more personally depressing opening I can recall in recent memory. $8.7M for the actual Friday gross is rough, and the significant downgrade from early numbers (and even those reported late last night) suggests this was a very presales heavy film. Internal multipliers have gotten healthier this year overall, but I'm not going to be shocked if it fails to hit $30M for the weekend. Which means it's almost guaranteed to gross less than half of Tron Legacy, and could gross less than half of Fury Road.

Did we know Death Wish got bumped? March 2, 2018 now.

They're citing "getting it out of the busy fall season" as the reason, which is weird considering I doubt it and The Punisher getting delayed right now is a coincidence. I guess they're just ashamed of the movie.

kswiston

Me and Dune have a sordid history. Back when i was younger when late night movie shows was a thing(Kswiss knows about that), when i would sneak and stay up they always ended up showing Dune or Phantasm. Flying deathballs were cool, Shakespeare in the desert wasn't

Haha. I remember seeing the Elephant Man at around 2am when I was home with the flu at 11 or 12 years old.

Surfinn

Shit, I didn't know BR 2049 was gunna perform so poorly. For some reason I just assumed it was going to be huge.. but I guess it makes sense that it's not (since it's kind for a niche audience)

My double feature viewing on Thursday was less than half full.

Or maybe audiences don't like films that end with them sitting in their seat felling empty and hollow. It's pretty ballsy to release a movie like that and expect commercial success of any sort, even ignoring the budget.

That was kinda like the original response to Blade Runner too. History repeats itself, still I'm not a fan of when people ignore films like that. It doesn't always have to end "happy" you know, or have lots of action.

BR opening is a huge bummer, I thought the movie was amazing and while I don’t necessarily want another BR sequel I was hoping it would do well so at least we could send the message that people like adult sci fi still but looks like the length and subject matter was a nonstarter for domestic audiences.

Oh well, at least it got made and it was the directors vision instead of the OG’s fucked up release.

Yup. He's more of a miss these days.

Last film I genuinely enjoyed from him was Kingdom of Heaven, and that was 10+ years ago.

d8942e5ba40fcfde4b6499ed9be1f2e0.gif

The directors cut of KOH is SO good.

This shit is depressing. Blade Runner 2049 is far and away the best film to come out this year. Though I suppose it's not too shocking that it underperformed at the box office, like the original did.

Surfinn

This shit is depressing. Blade Runner 2049 is far and away the best film to come out this year. Though I suppose it's not too shocking that it underperformed at the box office, like the original did.

We shall see.

We shall see..

But yeah, I'm more surprised that this film got approved for a 150M budget, that is insane.

Though I did enjoy it.

Don't see anything topping Blade Runner 2049 as my favorite movie this year. Maybe Call Me by Your Name, or You Were Never Really Here before it got delayed to 2018.

Need to send Mr. Nolan a handwritten apology with Dunkirk dropping to #2.

kitzkozan

If he is not this type of director, then why are people hoping for a big budget Dune movie. I mean sure, no one here is going to finance the movie but if we just take a look at the track record of Dennis, it is easy to see why giving such a huge budget for his passion project will only end up making the studio look stupid in the end.

IMO, Dennis should drop his Dune plans and make more movies like Sicario, Prisoners and Arrival. He is great with mid budget movies and I do like him as a director, just not as the best.

It's just selfish human desire and it makes sense. :) The vast majority of GAF posters are geeks and love sci-fi so Villeneuve could make a very solid Dunes movie. That doesn't make 99% of them qualified to handle the business aspect of making movies. ;) Christopher Nolan is a very rare breed of director who can make a personal project while crossing over with the mainstream audience, just like James Cameron. Villeneuve doesn't have the gifts for pure blockbuster conventions that Nolan and Cameron possess, but he doesn't need to. He's more in line with the elite directors of the world who prefer making their passion projects on smaller budget and outside of the blockbuster system.

It feels weird to say this, but I do think Villeneuve should stick with original projects. At least with those, he's able to sell them a bit better. Pre-existing IPs carry a whole bunch of expectations.

Sanjuro

Everyone I know has had nothing but negative things to say about BR2049. Still can pick up some extra cash on Monday I imagine, but not surprising.

J_Viper

The fingering and shower sex are both more than enough for me to consider Convenant hot garbage. People acted stupid in both movies but Prometheus had a sense of mystery surrounding it. These type of movies don't need Oscar worthy acting to be memorable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKZndsxbsoM

I truly believe this to be the worst scene in modern cinema

It feels weird to say this, but I do think Villeneuve should stick with original projects. At least with those, he's able to sell them a bit better. Pre-existing IPs carry a whole bunch of expectations.

Yeah, but he seems to have met them

Critical acclaim is through the roof, and anyone into the genre enjoyed it.

The movie simply didn't click with the modern audience because they're just not into slowly paced, three hour films. There really isn't anything that can be done about that.

Ain't weird at all. I want this dude to steer clear of Dune at all costs and work on original material. I want to see him develop his chops for a while and these pre existing IP's carrying too much baggage for a myriad of reasons. This guy has chops and I want him to expand as an artist unencumbered (as much as possible) by the holly wood tentpole bullshit machine.

The movie simply didn't click with the modern audience because they're just not into slowly paced, three hour films. There really isn't anything that can be done about that.

It really has nothing to do with execution or pace, it's about selling it.

Arrival: "ooo aliens! big mystery! Amy Adams and Jeremy Renner have high profile roles in superhero movies! Intrigue!"

BR2049: "Ugh, am I going to have to watch an old movie that I think I've heard of to get this?"

Kusagari

Arrival: "ooo aliens! big mystery! Amy Adams and Jeremy Renner have high profile roles in superhero movies! Intrigue!"

BR2049: "Ugh, am I going to have to watch an old movie that I think I've heard of to get this?"

It's not like BR is going to do much worse, if at all, than Arrival.

Movies like this are a hard sell at making more than 100-120m domestically.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKZndsxbsoM

I truly believe this to be the worst scene in modern cinema

How about not made a film with such a enormous budget, would have done wonders.

If a film isn't going generate that level of revenue it has absolutely no need to have that large of a budget.

It's not even like the guy made aimed for that audience and they didn't like it.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Who could have imagined a decades late sequel to a box office flop wouldn't set the world on fire? Seriously, I can't believe this movie had the budget it did.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
Remember when people wanted Villineuve for Star Wars like three days ago.

Now that we have a trailer, what are people seeing for Pacific Rim Uprising?
That trailer strengthened my prediction that it will do even worse than the original.

kitzkozan

Arrival barely made 200M worldwide so it's not really a hit lol. It did make money because of it's 47M budget, but could of been a flop if the expense had been higher. IT will make at least 3 time as much as Arrival on a 30M budget so the execution and pace greatly affect the potential box office gross of a movie. Execution is the main reason why Interstellar turned a profit and why BR 2049 will underwhelm despite both being long sci-fi movies.

Is it even possible to make a medium budget Dune movie? I have never seen any form of media for Dune or read the book but from what I have seen, it doesn't look cheap to me.

Ok lets see.

PR1

DOM: $101,802,906
INT: $309,200,00

The original had a little below 3x multiplier so despite the average opening ($37 million) and good WOM, it still felt a little lackluster for boxoffice considering its budget.

The sequel looks to be more over the top but I expect a bigger gross from China as usual. Still that won't be enough to offset the decline in other markets for it so I will go with this prediction.

DOM: $90 million
INT: $280 million (Half of that should be from China)

Drop from the first movie but not a disaster. Although there won't be growth here to make it into a franchise and might just put a stop to it.

It looks fun on its own but compared to the first it just doesn't have that je ne sais quoi that Del Toro brought.

They bailed it out of Black Panther's way so the only real competition is Tomb Raider the week before and Ready Player One the week after. I'll make a very bold assumption and say Tomb Raider won't be an issue, but if Ready Player One is geeky and watchable then it could slash its legs out.

Schlorgan

Which threads will be more toxic when it comes to expectations vs reality: Star Wars Battlefront 2 or Star Wars The Last Jedi?

Pachimari

I didn't feel the trailer for Pacific Rim: Uprising at all, but I didn't expect to. I loved Finn's acting in it and I like Steven D. Knight after what he accomplished with Daredevil S1, but as I found the first one to be extremely boring, I am expecting to feel the same for the sequel. It's just not aimed at me.

kitzkozan

Yea but Arrival had what, a third of the budget of BR 2049?

Try to reverse engineer the process that went into the budgeting of the movie. We have pretty boy Ryan Gosling who's coming off the biggest movie of his career in La-La land. Harrison Ford who's latest movie is him reprising one of his two iconic role which grossed 2 billion. One of the best director in the world willing to work on big ambitious projects by Hollywood standards and a respected IP known for a timeless classic so it should perform decently if we put the effort into it (another MM Fury Road).

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Try to reverse engineer the process that went into the budgeting of the movie. We have pretty boy Ryan Gosling who's coming off the biggest movie of his career in La-La land. Harrison Ford who's latest movie is him reprising one of his two iconic role which grossed 2 billion. One of the best director in the world willing to work on big ambitious projects by Hollywood standards and a respected IP known for a timeless classic so it should perform decently if we put the effort into it (another MM Fury Road).
Sounds pretty fucking stupid when you put it like that

Thank you Hollywood for this bounty

Top Bottom