• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

i bought it, and ive only played a bit so far. but boy is it linear. there is a bit where leon is walking through a hallway and any input will move leon forward along his pre-programmed path, at one point i was pulling back on the analogue stick and he just walked forward along the path until a quick time event happened. why not just make that a cut scene, i want gameplay in my games dammit.

Wouldn't that be like 10 minutes of a 30 hour game? I am pretty sure you get plenty of gameplay.

News Bot

Banned
Leon's campaign is no more linear than BH4 or BH5. A lot more just happens.

i bought it, and ive only played a bit so far. but boy is it linear. there is a bit where leon is walking through a hallway and any input will move leon forward along his pre-programmed path, at one point i was pulling back on the analogue stick and he just walked forward along the path until a quick time event happened. why not just make that a cut scene, i want gameplay in my games dammit.

Well, no shit. That's the prologue. It's a tutorial stage. The game never takes control away from you any other time apart from maybe manipulating the camera to zoom in on something or prevent you from running (happens like twice in all of Leon's campaign).

xtianmarq

Yet someone else recommending that people buy a game to form an opinion about it. Jesus Christ, what is wrong with you people.

I think that's what he was getting at. Clearly at this point reviews and impressions are going to be all over the map. This is a game that people might have to *gasp* actually read reviews and impressions, and probably several, to make a personal buying decision on the game (which is what I'm waiting for). Review-wise I'm just curious if any of the "big" reviewers like GI or IGN are going to go either super high or super low on their scores.

It's called forming your OWN opinion about something rather than relying on so-called critics or experts to make up your mind for you. It may be an entirely foreign concept to some people; it sure sounds like it. Years ago we didn't have the luxury of video game reviews. OMG! What did we do? We bought the game, played it and made up our own minds.

We already know that reviews and impressions are going to be all over the map. As with ANY video game, movie, tv show, book...any product, really...some people are going to love it, some people are going to hate it and some people really won't give a flying !@#$. Gamespot gave Skyward Sword a 7.5...if I would have followed their advice I would have missed out on one of the best video games of this generation. Enough said.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Whelp, I can feel it in the air. See you guys after the 2nd... totally envious of those who scored an early copy. Alas, I must wait impatiently.

For now.... I'll go sliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiddddeeeeeeeeeeeee under my covers.

:0)

meta4

It's called forming your OWN opinion about something rather than relying on so-called critics or experts to make up your mind for you. It may be an entirely foreign concept to some people; it sure sounds like it. Years ago we didn't have the luxury of video game reviews. OMG! What did we do? We bought the game, played it and made up our own minds.

We already know that reviews and impressions are going to be all over the map. As with ANY video game, movie, tv show, book...any product, really...some people are going to love it, some people are going to hate it and some people really won't give a flying !@#$. Gamespot gave Skyward Sword a 7.5...if I would have followed their advice I would have missed out on one of the best video games of this generation. Enough said.

To be honest I kind of agree with him. Games are expensive and the demo just made it additionally hard to just buy it without making sure there are no other deeper issues with the game. Its always okay to just read multiple reviews and see what they liked or disliked and then take the gamble.

MrDaravon

It's called forming your OWN opinion about something rather than relying on so-called critics or experts to make up your mind for you. It may an entirely foreign concept to some people; it sure sounds like it. Years ago we didn't have the luxury of video game reviews. OMG! What did we do? We bought the game, played it and made up our own minds.

Sure, but reviews are basically to help purchasing decisions. I agree that someone who hasn't played a game at all can't really have their own opinion on it, but suggesting that someone should buy a game and play it to decide whether or not they like it is also inane. Buying games blind is stupid, especially in this case where opinions were split on the demo (and I feel that's being very generous), and reviews seem like they're going to be all over the place. If your point was only that people shouldn't dog the game if they haven't played the demo or the full game I agree.

It's a 30 hour game now?

Shitty gameplay is shitty, no matter how much or how little there is. If something is bad, it should be cut. This is especially true if the game is "30 hours" long.

From what everyone is saying yes it's 30 hours. And I don't think that is gameplay that is basically a cutscene.

Robertto

Neo Member
Wouldn't that be like 10 minutes of a 30 hour game? I am pretty sure you get plenty of gameplay.

yeah that comment is only for the very beginning, dont really have a fully informed opinion yet of the meat of the game because i havnt played enough.

but i was more a comment of how tired i've gotten of these polished on rail video games (see uncharted, new tomb raider, cod), if there is no freedom in the gameplay systems just make it a movie, coz theres no tension on whether drakes gonna make this jump (ohh ohhhh that one was close he almost slipped but just made it).

Spazznid

Haahahaha!

I just played the demo again and learned to properly use the acrobatics.

Front-flipping , rolling, double-taking, ducking, skidding, etc.

A dude joined and seemed pretty new to the game and the controls, but as this was leon's early stage, it wan't too hard. He kind of looked at me weird, though as I was ass-scooting forwards at a snail's pace with my gun at the ready like a maniac...

THEN, good people.... THEN I realized I could equip a knife.... and scoot...

So here we are, stuck in a hallway and zombies coming at us left and right. My partner is running and turning and trying his darndest to stay afloat. Myself? I scoot amongst the enemy, fighting at their level, Slashing their undead shins... It was glorious!

After a few rounds, the control in this game is superb. It may seem janky at first, or it did to me at least, but given about 30-40 minutes of playtime, I was dodging and rolling around with the utmost precision.

It might not be RE5, but RE5 wasn't RE4, and RE4 wasn't RE3. I can't wait to get a hold of the game.

I've been replaying through RE4 and RE5 as well as a few betas to pass the time.

Sure, but reviews are basically to help purchasing decisions. I agree that someone who hasn't played a game at all can't really have their own opinion on it, but suggesting that someone should buy a game and play it to decide whether or not they like it is also inane. Buying games blind is stupid, especially in this case where opinions were split on the demo (and I feel that's being very generous), and reviews seem like they're going to be all over the place. If your point was only that people shouldn't dog the game if they haven't played the demo or the full game I agree.

This. Those looking for a buying guide need to know what aspects of games they like an don't like. Read a many opinions as possible and pick up on the points that you care about the most.

For me for instance, I have never been bothered by controls. The game camera is rarely an issue for me. QTEs, lots of cutscenes are no problem. What I care about most is if the gameplay is fun, is it varied, will it keep me interested from start to finish. I want gameplay with options, the more actions I can perform the better. And I love content, unlocksables, modes that keep me coming back for more. So this game has most of what I want.

Others can't stand games where the controls are strange or the camera bothers them. Some don't like constant action. We are all different just know yourself.

I will laugh so hard if ORC ends up having better reviews.

At least in that game you could easily see your surroundings and taking cover was simple enough.

MrDaravon

This. Those looking for a buying guide need to know what aspects of games they like an don't like. Read a many opinions as possible and pick up on the points that you care about the most.

For me for instance, I have never been bothered by controls. The game camera is rarely an issue for me. QTEs, lots of cutscenes are no problem. What I care about most is if the gameplay is fun, is it varied, will it keep me interested from start to finish. I want gameplay with options, the more actions I can perform the better. And I love content, unlocksables, modes that keep me coming back for more. So this game has most of what I want.

Others can't stand games where the controls are strange or the camera bothers them. Some don't like constant action. We are all different just know yourself.

I think the big problem somewhat unique to RE6 though is they completely fucked up with both demos. The first demo was largely considered shit which just led to months of bad word of mouth, which likely colored some perceptions going into the the public demo which has also had very mixed opinions. I need to go back and do the other campaigns, but I didn't really care much for Leons at all, but then some people are saying that the final game is better. This whole thing has been a total clusterfuck, and at this point I have no idea if I'm even getting the game on Tuesday or not. Reviews are practically never a deciding point for me, but they might be in this case. At least the review embargo is early on Monday, and not a midnight thing.

I think the big problem somewhat unique to RE6 though is they completely fucked up with both demos. The first demo was largely considered shit which just led to months of bad word of mouth, which likely colored some perceptions going into the the public demo which has also had very mixed opinions. I need to go back and do the other campaigns, but I didn't really care much for Leons at all, but then some people are saying that the final game is better. This whole thing has been a total clusterfuck, and at this point I have no idea if I'm even getting the game on Tuesday or not. Reviews are practically never a deciding point for me, but they might be in this case. At least the review embargo is early on Monday, and not a midnight thing.

The demo is stil the best way to determine if you like. I liked the demo (AFTER playing it a few times. The first time I was like WTF is this shit) so I already know I like the way the game plays.

If you didn't like the demo and have issues with the fundamental mechanics of the game well then you will have to weigh what others say of the finished product against that. If you are still undecided it maybe best to rent.

xtianmarq

Yes, the purpose of reviews is to help purchasing decisions. But reviews are merely one person's opinion. Let's say that 5 sites say the game is shitty and 5 sites say the game is awesome...how will you know who to believe?

I'm not trying to argue with anybody. I am just amazed that we are all sitting here nervously chewing our fingernails, preordering and canceling preorders umpteen thousand times a day depending on who says what about the game...

Haliela

Played through the demo a second time this time with my roommate. We had an absolute blast. Love how it has the item pickups for both players. Stops the bickering that often happens with loot.

A-mazing. Tuesday is too far away!

Margalis

Banned
I think he means we dropped the ball on calling out the PS3 version of the game. I'm not sure how that could have been avoided, honestly.

Playing the game would probably be a good start.

Not hyping up a game to the point where the review score is essentially pre-determined to fall within a certain range would be good also.

Not employing a guy who records a video of himself dancing when he receives the game might also be good.

Man, I'm full of great ideas that anyone with middling intelligence could come up with!

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Haahahaha!

I just played the demo again and learned to properly use the acrobatics.

Front-flipping , rolling, double-taking, ducking, skidding, etc.

A dude joined and seemed pretty new to the game and the controls, but as this was leon's early stage, it wan't too hard. He kind of looked at me weird, though as I was ass-scooting forwards at a snail's pace with my gun at the ready like a maniac...

THEN, good people.... THEN I realized I could equip a knife.... and scoot...

So here we are, stuck in a hallway and zombies coming at us left and right. My partner is running and turning and trying his darndest to stay afloat. Myself? I scoot amongst the enemy, fighting at their level, Slashing their undead shins... It was glorious!

After a few rounds, the control in this game is superb. It may seem janky at first, or it did to me at least, but given about 30-40 minutes of playtime, I was dodging and rolling around with the utmost precision.

It might not be RE5, but RE5 wasn't RE4, and RE4 wasn't RE3. I can't wait to get a hold of the game.

I've been replaying through RE4 and RE5 as well as a few betas to pass the time.

This reminds me when some friends pick up this game one of the first things I want to do is get to one of the crossover boss battles near the beginning of the game with Chris, Piers, Jake, and Sherry which is against one of those ogre monsters, have us all drop down and scoot around with nothing but our fists/knife/stun rod and bat the thing to death. It will be glorious.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
You're in luck, I actually do when it comes to the story-line at least.

For story on-goers, this will be the best order to tackle things by:

Prelude Chapter
Chris Chapter 1
Chris Chapter 2
Jake Chapter 1
Jake Chapter 2
Leon Chapter 1
Leon Chapter 2
Leon Chapter 3
Jake Chapter 3
Chris Chapter 3
Jake Chapter 4
Leon Chapter 4
Chris Chapter 4
Jake Chapter 5
Chris Chapter 5
Leon Chapter 5
Ada's Campaign

I will repeat someone else's request to put this in the OT.

Anyway I get the feeling this thread will be inundated with spoilers now that everyone and their mothers is getting their hands on the game early (what a joke). I'll probably avoid this thread until I get my hands on the game next week...

Spazznid

This reminds me when some friends pick up this game one of the first things I want to do is get to one of the crossover boss battles near the beginning of the game with Chris, Piers, Jake, and Sherry which is against one of those ogre monsters, have us all drop down and scoot around with nothing but our fists/knife/stun rod and bat the thing to death. It will be glorious.

mind-blown-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-1370.gif

Scoot-runs... for charity...

But did you slide?

I forgot to mention the baseball slide... also the baseball slide into 180 turn and run.

If CAPCOM doesn't cash in on Scoot races online, it will be a sad day.

Better not. Just from playing the demo, 6 was more fun, looked better, and had much better gun feedback/sounds.

That will be the easiest way for me to know to ignore any future reviews from that place. ORC is a piece of shit, messed up on so many levels. The demo of RE6 alone was better than the entirety of ORC. Seeing that GS may award both games the first score I will probably ignore them, we'll I have already found GS scoring to be totally opposite to mine so yeah.

Dariso

Neo Member
Game is pre-loading right now on the UK PSN store.

10 gigs download.

Wow surprised about the pre-load,first time they're doing that?.
Hey so the game was available for pre-order in the UK store? Didn't see it in the day 1 thing section of the US store.

I've always loved how that game looked. This is what RE should go back to imo. That figure walking by behind the window was freaking creepy.

Agreed. The biggest problem I had with RE4 was the goofy ass environments. They were kind of cheesy and overdone. Old school RE used a lot of realistic environments

JJD

Wow surprised about the pre-load,first time they're doing that?.
Hey so the game was available for pre-order in the UK store? Didn't see it in the day 1 thing section of the US store.

I don't know if it's the first time, but considering the effort they are doing with day 1 digital/physical releases I'm thankful for being able to pre-load.

Pre order for RE6 has been available since last week if I'm not mistaken.

Top Bottom