• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In defence of Kid Icarus's Controls. Sakurai: "You doing it wrong."

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
After Sakamoto's bizarre control design decisions for Other-M (NO ANALOG, D-PAD ONLY, FINAL DESTINATION), and Sakurai's stubbornness here, I'm excited to see what the final part of the BAD CONTROLS Nintendo Trilogy is going to be.

Jintor

There's still two things wrong:

a) It's still physically painful to hold for longer periods of time
b) Lefties go home

Sophia

There's still two things wrong:

a) It's still physically painful to hold for longer periods of time
b) Lefties go home

b) is about the only thing I can agree with there, and that's less the fault of the game and more the fault of the 3DS.

Alchemy

The aiming controls are fine with adaption, but the touch screen power activation sucks and I'm not a huge fan of the dodge mechanics as it is pretty easy to dodge off a ledge. Those are minor complaints in comparison to the issues people have with the touchscreen aiming.

AzaK

I have, honestly, found no problem with KI:U's controls.
But, then I'm fairly adaptive.

You must have tiny hands. A friend bought it for me the other day. I got through 1 level before I had to stop and hand it to him. He got through 1/2 a level and stopped.

This was without the stand, I haven't tried that yet. However, having to pack in a stand for a handheld is admitting that the default controls/system are not well suited to the type of game it is.

Kazerei

Banned
There are pros and cons to the stylus controls. Would've been nice to have more control options though. The more options, the better IMO.

Again, no. Go and read the post again.

There is a clear and obvious difference between saying "Yes, Kid Icarus' controls work for me, but I understand why they don't for others", and comments like these.
Yeah, I read that the other day.

I don't think he's mindlessly trashing the game. Quote from the article:

This is my point. This is unprecedented in my experience as a gamer and critic - a game that needs artificial aid. A mandatory peripheral provided not to enhance gameplay, like a Wii racing wheel or a Guitar Hero controller, but to compensate for the game's faulty design.

How can anyone disagree with that quote? The stand, even if you don't use it, is compensating for controls that do not belong on a handheld.

b) Lefties go home

This is demonstrably wrong, at least anecdotally at GAF. I actually tallied up people's opinions in this thread, the most critical thread possible on the subject of KI controls.

GAF lefties: 14 likes, 3 dislikes. And that's just from the critical thread and not the massive OT which is sure to include a lot more positive impressions.

Non-left-hander opinions on the first 2 pages of the same thread: 18 likes, 2 iffy, 1 dislike. Not too different of a ratio.

Jintor

It's difficult to argue that the controls don't belong on the handheld when they work so well for the most part.

Can't we just have a Kid Icarus: Uprising controls argument garbage thread once and for all? Cripes. Nothing new is ever said, everybody's mindlessly defending their extreme view of the matter and it's a huge waste of time, ignoring the meat of the actual game which is quite possibly the best original content Nintendo's made in years.

EDIT: And this is coming from someone who hasn't had a single problem with the controls.

L00P

Any lefty here who played the game without using a cppro? Like, you use your right hand to aim with the stylus and stuff? Haven't bought the game since I'm a lefty and wary about the controls. And I don't feel like spending more money on a cpp.

EDIT: That's really helpful, unclesporky. Might try out the game now!

Glix

I have more than double the hours logged in this game than any of my other 3DS games.

I LOVE it. The controls are great and get the job done. Sometimes my hand cramps a little, but I just put the game down for a bit and come back.

Great great great game

Jintor

Alright, so lefties like the controls, I'll never understand you crazy brain-flipped sideways Australians

dashing is still fucked though

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
I think the controls are perfect (for a right handed person) and agree with him. Been playing for two days now (just got the game) and have had 0 problems

When more people hate your controls than like them, you are doing it wrong sir.
A vocal minority isn't not a majority.

How can anyone disagree with that quote? The stand, even if you don't use it, is compensating for controls that do not belong on a handheld
I can disagree by saying I've never used the stand. A guitar strap isn't needed to play Guitar Hero, it's just makes it easier.

Any lefty here who played the game without using a cppro? Like, you use your right hand to aim with the stylus and stuff? Haven't bought the game since I'm a lefty and wary about the controls. And I don't feel like spending more money on a cpp.

You couldn't buy one if you wanted to, they have been backordered for awhile and now the Gamestop site has a new release date 4 days from now (5/7/12).

http://www.gamestop.com/nintendo-3ds/accessories/3ds-circle-pad-pro-gamestop-exclusive/98636

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Alright let's put this to bed already. If you aren't holding it like this:

tATNE.jpg

you're doing it wrong.

No stand, no legs, just stick the bottom-right corner of the system in your right palm, so it rests on the bottom-left corner of your palm. Curl stylus around to success. This is how I played Metroid Prime Hunters, and it works just as fine for Kid Icarus.

(Warning: may not work with baby-hands.)

prwxv3

The game should have had more control options. Just because you think a certain control option is perfect does not mean others do. I think the classic control option for Twisted Metal is perfect but many others don't and eat sleep play were right in adding more control options.

rpmurphy

In 2012 there are more people using controllers on PC's than ever before. Remember the shit storm about ME3 not having controller support?
KI is pretty fast and frantic. Enemies on the ground can constantly spawn behind you, and in multiplayer, opponents dodging, using certain weapons and powers that give them extra (or even extreme) speed, jumping and being knocked away often means that they move out of your field of vision in less than a second and requires you to do quarter, half, or greater turns to keep up with the action.

Well, they wouldn't be if they were designed with dual analog in mind.

I like that this game isn't possible on dual analog. Dual analog has "dumbed down" games in a lot of ways. (See iron sights auto-aiming military FPS games vs Quake III and Unreal Tournament.)

That's not to say that I think the controls are great in this game, but I don't think designing around dual analog would have made for a better game.

Kangi

http://i.imgur.com/tATNE.jpg[IMG]

you're doing it wrong.

No stand, no legs, just stick the bottom-right corner of the system in your right palm, so it rests on the bottom-left corner of your palm. Curl stylus around to success. This is how I played Metroid Prime Hunters, and it works just as fine for Kid Icarus.

(Warning: may not work with baby-hands.)[/QUOTE]
But I'd rather complain than adapt to a control scheme!

The game should have had more control options. Just because you think a certain control option is perfect does not mean others do. I think the classic control option for Twisted Metal is perfect but many others don't and eat sleep play were right in adding more control options.

Dual Analog is pretty much the only reasonable control scheme that the game doesn't have. It has PLENTY of options already.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

tATNE.jpg

you're doing it wrong.

This man knows whats up

Oh wow. I didn't think people would take so easily to touch controls as a replacement for controllers but here we are. The trashing of dual analog and the praising of touch controls. The future is here and I am obviously out of touch (no pun intended).

I went from the joystick to the d-pad and the d-pad to the analog stick and the analog stick to dual analog and I loved the improvements each time. Going from dual analog to touch controls though I am not ready to do.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
In 2012 there are more people using controllers on PC's than ever before. Remember the shit storm about ME3 not having controller support?

ME3 is designed for dual analog limitations. Other games are not. You don't see anyone beasting on Quake Live with a 360 pad and that's the same reason Kid Icarus doesn't include a dual analog option.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Sorry, you included a stand with your game, therefore it obviously should never have been on a portable system in the first place. This would've made a great Wii game. The controls are bad because there's only one action button, not because of the touch screen.

Hear this man.

Alternatively, when given a situation where on the one hand a developer says consumers are doing it wrong, and on the other hand a large part of the userbase (not talking about journalists or whoever) complaining that the feature sucks because it's not uncomfortable and inconvenient to use, I tend to side with consumers, even if I personally don't have a problem with it.

Sakurai, your job is not to tell us that we don't get it. You're not here to educate consumers. Your job is to get what we want. If people endlessly complain about something, your job is to correct it, not to correct people.

muu

tATNE.jpg

you're doing it wrong.

Sure doesn't look comfy, but must not be a problem if it works for you...

I just do this kind of pinky hold, which makes playing comfy for as long of a session as you want:

00152.jpg

Works well enough for my not-so-big hands.

Boney

Banned

tATNE.jpg

you're doing it wrong.

I have baby hands and that's what I've always done!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Both things are different from person to person, I saw plenty of lefties that had no problem with the controls in the OT.
It takes a while to adjust to, though. Maybe a few hours of play. But my hands are small, so I don't have a huge problem with it. At first I was angry about the controls prior to release since I thought it was going to be completely inaccessible to lefties, but it's something you get used to. Still some issues, but manageable.

It's unfortunate that it takes time to adjust to the controls, though. I don't use the stand at all. I usually play my 3DS when on commute or at school when I'm not around a desk or table.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
But I rather tell people to adapt to a control scheme they just cannot work with than to accept some people have different preferences!

If it were up to me i'd prefer to play most of my shooters with a keyboard and mouse.

There are three usb slots on my 360, why i can't i plug them in there and play reach with them?

Sure doesn't look comfy, but must not be a problem if it works for you...

I just do this kind of pinky hold, which makes playing comfy for as long of a session as you want:

00152.jpg

Works well enough for my not-so-big hands.

Pinky works better for accuracy, but the first way is better for long playtimes imo.

Both good stuff.

Top Bottom