• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Destiny Alpha Withdrawal Thread

Kelsey

Banned
The flat face buttons are actually my favorite part of a Playstation controller. Rounded buttons are pretty terrible for any action or fighting game.

The 360 D-Pad is awful though. Made it rather useless for playing any classic emulated games.

The updated DPAD in the Up position made it usable for me, but the extent of my dpad gaming is pretty much just Lumines. I agree about the flat buttons. Round buttons make no sense.

watching_avengers_i_understood_a_gif_reference-88347.gif

Korben

Banned
Are you Destiny die-hards all going PS4?

I haven't been keeping up with the threads to get a feel for GAF's intent...

For now, only PS4 owners played Destiny (during the public alpha, of course, developers and private alpha-testers played it on XBO too), so yeah, you're not gonna find many XBO owners (as a "main console") in this thread...

Not to mention a significant portion of these XBO owners are currently in full "hypocritical mode", saying Bungie "betrayed" the "Xbox fanbase", etc...

And multiplatform are better on PS4 this generation, so this is another argument for buying Destiny on this console.

Anyway, like many people said, if you got friends on XBO and nobody on PS4, take it on XBO (or make new friends).

SnakeEyes

Banned
Not to mention a significant portion of these XBO owners are currently in full "hypocritical mode", saying Bungie "betrayed" the "Xbox fanbase", etc...
Hahahaha, you know what? Fuck those guys! :D

The Bungie/Destiny forum is FULL of idiots like that. I've given up replying to their stupid whining posts.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
The DS4 is a billion times better for shooters than the DS3 was.

This. I was "OK" with the DS3, but the DS4 is way better. To the point that the DS3 seems like a joke.

The DS3 sucks compared to the DS4 for first person shooters. Analogs feel much better in terms of grip, resistance, all that jazz and the triggers are also much better.

Have really had no problem pulling off precise head shots with the DS4. My only complaint with the controller is the atrocious battery life.

There ya go. And yes, it sucks up battery like you wouldn't believe. I normally have it plugged in whenever I play close to the TV.

Golden Gun is great against bosses, and some of those bullshit enemies like the Fallen Captain that have the shield.

I think they're as good as each other. I found the Nova Bomb excellent for sneaking up on enemies in PvP, like over the top of the building to capture Point B on the Moon, or any of the points on Rusted Plains.

Warlocks do well with double-jump and then Nova Bomb from the skies :)

Well, it was mentioned here in the Destiny - What We Know So Far video. (timestamped at 15mins for your pleasure) :)

Yeah, doing that with the Warlock feels so awesome. So, I take it Golden Gun does massive damage but with it targeting specific enemies, doesn't have the splash damage the Titan and Warlock's super has?

Oh, and I asked this earlier but got buried, anyone tried Remote Play with Destiny? How are the controls? I'm gettin a Vita soon and salivating at the thought of playing it while on the bed. :D

Korben

Banned
Oh, and I asked this earlier but got buried, anyone tried Remote Play with Destiny? How are the controls? I'm gettin a Vita soon and salivating at the thought of playing it while on the bed. :D

I remember reading someone in the old alpha thread who was really enjoying his Destiny Remote Play experience on his VITA.

So it would seem that Destiny on VITA is good and easy to play.

But we need this mysterious guy to confirm it.

EDIT: Found some picture of Destiny on VITA: http://i.imgur.com/URA7xoE.jpg and http://i.imgur.com/AUUYlG5.jpg

SnakeEyes

Banned
Yeah, doing that with the Warlock feels so awesome. So, I take it Golden Gun does massive damage but with it targeting specific enemies, doesn't have the splash damage the Titan and Warlock's super has?
Nope. Golden Gun is a timed 3-shot Super. High damage and a higher chance of 3 kills per Super activation with the tradeoff of it being on a timer and no splash damage, unlike the other characters Supers.

Lurch666

Not sure if answered, but did anyone try the alpha via remote play? Getting a Vita very soon and the thought of playing Diablo 3 and Destiny on my bed is making me all giddy.

GAF, please tell me it's good.

I tried it.
Looks great but controls let me down.didn't feel as good as when using the ds4
Can a ds4 be used with a vita yet without having to log into another account?

So in regards to Guardians, there are two distinct sub classes for the Titan, Hunter and Warlock and each sub class has a different Super and different set of skills to choose from that go with it.

I only know the Titan's alternate Super which is a shield dome. What are the alternate Supers for the Hunter and Warlock, or is that unknown at this point?

I was thinking about this because I was aware I'd seen the Titan summoning a shield in pre-alpha analysis videos and had wanted to try it (Titan is of course the class I'm most interested in playing). In fact, with no real knowledge of exactly how the shield works (does it reduce damage or block it entirely? how long does it last/how much damage can it take?) I'd say now that I've played the game that I'd be more inclined to go for a shield as a Super than the Fist of Havoc. I think it would be much more useful, especially during the "survive waves of this while Dinklage hacks" bits of a Strike/Raid The dome looks like it could protect other players as well so it'd be handy to give myself and other players a safe place to recover during a boss battle.

It'd be interesting to see what the alternate Supers for the Hunter and Warlock are and how they change the gameplay for each class.

Korben

Banned
Hello Destiny Gaf, I have some questions seeing how much excitement there is in this thread from those who played the beta. On a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being the best, how would you rate Destiny's coop experience based on the Alpha? ... Thanks for any opinions/experiences anyone can share, I'd appreciate it.

8/10

They should implement the same communication system that DayZ is using (i may be wrong, i actually never played DayZ) which allow players to talk to each others during their "free exploration" session when they're close enough.

And we need more "coop ability" in the Class's skill tree, Borderlands did this part very well.

Besides those two points, it's a near perfect for Destiny (in my opinion).

WITHE1982

I played for a couple of hours and I have to say it looks absolutely stunning on the Vita. Probably one of the best looking remote play games I've played on it.

Controls we're a bit hit and miss. The touch screen wasn't too bad TBH which surprised me. Right part of the screen is R1 and left part is your L1. Then press both sides for your super). It's great that they've not used the rear touch pad at all and it's just plain shit for FPS.

DestinyRemotePlay2.jpg

The weird thing for me was having down on the d-pad to run. It was just a but too clumsy. Also e-motes we're hard to do having to press a direction on the d-pad then a button at the same time.

Overall though it works very well for single player, I probably wouldn't play too much PvP on it though. I'm still just praying for the day they release an official L2-R2 adapter for the Vita.

Marvel

could never
I love the DS4 so much I wish I had it in my Halo days... and I loved the 360 pad.

ipWqDlRqe8iPx.jpg

I wonder if we will get that Rocket emblem for being in the Alpha. Would be kinda cool.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
I remember reading someone in the old alpha thread who was really enjoying his Destiny Remote Play experience on his VITA.

So it would seem that Destiny on VITA is good and easy to play.

But we need this mysterious guy to confirm it.

EDIT: Found some picture of Destiny on VITA: http://i.imgur.com/URA7xoE.jpg and http://i.imgur.com/AUUYlG5.jpg

Thanks for this! Now I know how the controls are mapped out. Aside from the "run" button being in an odd place, it seems doable enough. I just wish there was a toggle to auto-run and not walk since I don't see myself walking unless in non-combat situations.

I also saw a video on YouTube for Remote Play, but sadly, it does a poor job of showing how the controls and such work.

Nope. Golden Gun is a timed 3-shot Super. High damage and a higher chance of 3 kills per Super activation with the tradeoff of it being on a timer and no splash damage, unlike the other characters Supers.

Not having played the Hunter class, is the tradeoff for splash damage worth it? I mean, when you attack that big spider boss, how much damage does on Golden Gun shot does to the leg?

I tried it.
Looks great but controls let me down.didn't feel as good as when using the ds4
Can a ds4 be used with a vita yet without having to log into another account?

Deets, man! What was the annoying thing about controls? Running? It's safe to assume the controls won't be as good as the DS4, but if the run thing is the only issue, I can live with it.

And yeah, if we can use a DS4 for the Vita. My god -- it's going to be legendary.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
I played for a couple of hours and I have to say it looks absolutely stunning on the Vita. Probably one of the best looking remote play games I've played on it.

Controls we're a bit hit and miss. The touch screen wasn't too bad TBH which surprised me. Right part of the screen is R1 and left part is your L1. Then press both sides for your super). It's great that they've not used the rear touch pad at all and it's just plain shit for FPS.

DestinyRemotePlay2.jpg

The weird thing for me was having down on the d-pad to run. It was just a but too clumsy. Also e-motes we're hard to do having to press a direction on the d-pad then a button at the same time.

Overall though it works very well for single player, I probably wouldn't play too much PvP on it though. I'm still just praying for the day they release an official L2-R2 adapter for the Vita.

Thanks for this, man! Oh, I thought the left and right thing were for the backpad! Wouldn't that be easier? :D Hmm...I think I can maneuver my index finger to tap the right or left side of the screen while not letting go of the sticks. And yeah, the run thing seems to be an awkward button. Hopefully, we get something to fix this with a control config or something?

I'm looking to play it on Vita in PvE. I'm not a fan of the PvP much, I admit. I have no clue how it goes and always felt like people had better gear and higher unlocks than I had when I played it in the alpha.

Marvel

could never
I'm looking to play it on Vita in PvE. I'm not a fan of the PvP much, I admit. I have no clue how it goes and always felt like people had better gear and higher unlocks than I had when I played it in the alpha.

All gear is equal stat wise in the Crucible :D no one has the advantage gun or armor wise.

I'll flesh it out a little. So you're in a firefight with someone and you're rocking common white gear armor and weapon wise and he/she has rare/uncommons that player will not be stronger than you.

Upgrades you have do carry over though. (faster aiming, ROF, holo-sights that sorta thing and you get those simply by using your stuff everyone will have those)

It comes down to what class you are and how good you play.

WITHE1982

Thanks for this, man! Oh, I thought the left and right thing were for the backpad! Wouldn't that be easier? :D Hmm...I think I can maneuver my index finger to tap the right or left side of the screen while not letting go of the sticks.

Honestly I'm surprised how easy it was to use myself after only a few minutes using the touch screen. The rear pad for me is just too hit and miss. It only works some of the time and in a fire fight it can make all the difference.

I am, and will always be, a very avarage PvP player and I found Destiny's very enjoyable. PvP is quite balanced as all weapon damage etc is evened up before matches so the only things that carry over are player and weapon unlocks. It makes for a much more even playing field.

Looking forward to see what they add in to the Beta as the Alpha was great :)

Already ordered and paid for the game on PS4 although I'm now wondering if I should pay a little extra and get it digitally.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
All gear is equal stat wise in the Crucible :D no one has the advantage gun or armor wise.

I'll flesh it out a little. So you're in a firefight with someone and you're rocking common white geararmor and weapon wise and he/she has rare/uncommons that player will not be stronger than you.

Upgrades you have do carry over though. (faster aiming, ROF, holo-sights that sorta thing and you get those simply by using your stuff)

It comes down to what class you are and how good you play.

Glad to hear that but it didn't feel like it. And I think I'm a fairly good PvP player, too. I'll try and pump more time into it.

Honestly I'm surprised how easy it was to use myself after only a few minutes using the touch screen. The rear pad for me is just too hit and miss. It only works some of the time and in a fire fight it can make all the difference.

I am, and will always be, a very avarage PvP player and I found Destiny's very enjoyable. PvP is quite balanced as all weapon damage etc is evened up before matches so the only things that carry over are player and weapon unlocks. It makes for a much more even playing field.

That's certainly comforting news for Remote Play. :D Once I get a Vita, I'll try the beta and hopefully, it's a smooth experience.

Main negative point of remote play is that you cant do voice chat with your ps4 friends.

What? Damn. Hope Bungie patches that in or something.

broony

No chat in remote play is a system limitation rather than something Bungie can do. I did read a way to do it that involved creating parties in your vita, then entering remote play afterward or something. Was convoluted.

That's the helpful thing about emotes though.

Playstation Tv is going to support the DS4 so remote playing using that should be better. Don't know if that means you will be able to plug a mic into the controller and have that work.

Had to get me a pair of these for Destiny. Don't want to sit there like an idiot with the handsfree thing while playing, plus I want some of that sweet night gaming. Noticed the guns were kinda loud compared to everything else. ;)

PS: They don't seem to have been officially released in sweden yet, Noticed there was 2 in the store on the biggest gaming retailer so had to snag one. No other store has them in stock here :(

PS4-headset.jpg

Lurch666

Deets, man! What was the annoying thing about controls? Running? It's safe to assume the controls won't be as good as the DS4, but if the run thing is the only issue, I can live with it.

And yeah, if we can use a DS4 for the Vita. My god -- it's going to be legendary.

The thumbsticks are just too fiddly in my hands-movement was ok I guess but aiming was a nightmare compared to the DS4

broony

The thumbsticks are just too fiddly in my hands-movement was ok I guess but aiming was a nightmare compared to the DS4
Yeah aiming is hard on the vita. Hard to explain but I probably got to about 80% of my ability in vita compared to using the ds4.

loldrums

Banned
Applied to DestGAF.
PSNID: wanderwell
BUNGID: indigoducks

I was in the Alpha.
I'll be in the Beta.

I was pretty good at Halo. I intend to be pretty good at this. I haven't gotten the feel for any of the weapons yet, though. I had the most success with the pulse rifle, though I liked it the least. Was forcing myself to learn to DMR Scout Rifle.The revolver was the closest to what I wanted it to be, but it's limited to 6 shots.

Can anyone access the alpha site? I wanted to look at my info again, but I can't get to the site.

Havok

So in regards to Guardians, there are two distinct sub classes for the Titan, Hunter and Warlock and each sub class has a different Super and different set of skills to choose from that go with it.

I only know the Titan's alternate Super which is a shield dome. What are the alternate Supers for the Hunter and Warlock, or is that unknown at this point?

<<snip>>

It'd be interesting to see what the alternate Supers for the Hunter and Warlock are and how they change the gameplay for each class.
Here's what we know about supers.

Titan
  • Fist of Havoc (Striker subclass, Arc element)
  • Ward of Dawn (Defender subclass, Void element) - the bubble shield. No known details about this past the obvious - it's a big purple shield. Possibly named Void Barrier - sources differ in naming.
Hunter
  • Golden Gun (Gunslinger subclass, Solar element)
  • Arc Blade (Bladedancer subclass, Arc element) - AOE melee super - some videos show character pinballing between enemies, others show character doing a sweeping melee with an accompanying AOE.
Warlock
  • Nova Bomb (Voidwalker subclass, Void element)
  • Radiance (Firesinger subclass, Solar element) - buff ability; revives self and/or teammates, boosts power or weapon damage (maybe both?)
Some information may be outdated, since half of it is from the alpha and half of it is from videos of potentially old builds. Off the top of my head, I think they've confirmed only two subclasses per character class at launch (source).

How do you guys stand playing Destiny on such a small screen?

I'm going to be gone from the 16th to the 20th for an Akira Yamaoka and the Silent Hill band concert plus convention, so I'd miss the first three days of the beta if I didn't play on my vita.

Believe me, I wouldn't be remote playing Destiny if I had the choice, though I do love remote play.

Request sent!

ID: AndersTheSwede

Applied to DestGAF.
PSNID: wanderwell
BUNGID: indigoducks

I was in the Alpha.
I'll be in the Beta.

I was pretty good at Halo. I intend to be pretty good at this. I haven't gotten the feel for any of the weapons yet, though. I had the most success with the pulse rifle, though I liked it the least. Was forcing myself to learn to DMR Scout Rifle.The revolver was the closest to what I wanted it to be, but it's limited to 6 shots.

Can anyone access the alpha site? I wanted to look at my info again, but I can't get to the site.

You're approved.
Welcome to DestinyGAF
Take a moment and socialize in the Forum
Be HYPE for BETA!

broony

This has always been possible. You have to use the Party app on Vita to use voice chat. It's part of the suite of apps that will run concurrently with your game.

I thought that the vita part chat gets closed when you start the remote play app.

Here is the convoluted solution I read a while ago. I've not tested it myself:

Ok so managed to trick the vita and ps4 so that i can use my mic on vita to party chat while in remote play.

1. make a party chat on vita and invite everyone you want to it.

2. leave the vita party chat and get a friend to send u a party chat invite .

3. rejoin the party chat on the vita by clicking on the party ( do not use the invite that was sent)

4. start remote play

5.go to notifications on ps4 and accept the party invite. the party now thinks there are 2 of you in the party. 1 on vita and one on ps4.

you should now be able to chat using vita mic and play all ps4 games with remote play on vita at the same time.

Top Bottom