• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 3: Pining for the Good Old Days Edition

Cynar

I love that ebgames has steam cards now. Offloaded a bunch of games with tivs of at least $3 to get that extra credit towards a $50 steam card.

They're not really cards though, just a code on a receipt. I'm paranoid about that usually and take a pic in case the ink rubs off. :p

Quick

Banned
How long is Best Buy's and Future Shop's Trade 1 for $40 promo going on til?

I love that ebgames has steam cards now. Offloaded a bunch of games with tivs of at least $3 to get that extra credit towards a $50 steam card.

They're not really cards though, just a code on a receipt. I'm paranoid about that usually and take a pic in case the ink rubs off. :p

They have physical cards in the store. Unless those are just for show.

Cynar

How long is Best Buy's and Future Shop's Trade 1 for $40 promo going on til?

They have physical cards in the store. Unless those are just for show.

I guess they're for show. I was expecting to get a physical card but all that the employee did was read the sku number off the card on the floor and it printed a code on my receipt. It worked fine but it would've been nice to get the card. Especially if I wanted to give one as a gift.

Anyone have a Last of Us tsilon code? Do those still work?

We had a problem with them for a while but they got fixed. Only thing is just try to complete checkout at once, meaning don't try the code without finalizing the purchase cause sometimes it just counts as used.

@Calgary Gaf: I think SDM has PS3 Official Bluetooth headset for 30$ this week and I wanna buy one but can't find a store that carry them, could you let me any SDM store that usually carry good gaming stuff?

I am confused about the current Futureshop deal. On their website it says trade 2 for 60$ and trade 1 for 40$. Which it is?

And do they still try to argue that you need to get a game that came out that week right away? The Donkey Kong picture on the promo is making me think that. I usually work it out with them but I am always afraid to get there for nothing.

I am confused about the current Futureshop deal. On their website it says trade 2 for 60$ and trade 1 for 40$. Which it is?

And do they still try to argue that you need to get a game that came out that week right away? The Donkey Kong picture on the promo is making me think that. I usually work it out with them but I am always afraid to get there for nothing.

Both promos are going on at the moment so both are listed. As for having to spend the gift card right away I haven't had any trouble getting just walking out with the gift card in hand.

Ondore

Weirdly enough their website seems to imply it ends Friday. I would have though they end Thursday. New flyers start on Friday right?

Yep, Friday. Since there isn't a big portable release that week, I would suspect the 1/$40 deal goes and the 2/$60 stays.

Also, /me does the "I just did my first tsilon challenge and am ready for E3" dance

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member

Both. Don't need to use it right away.

I did it at BB. Gave me the wrong tiv at first, but when I pointed it out the clerk did another check and needed someone to do an override for her. Heh the guy who did the override said he didn't even know about it and that he was going to trade nintendoland for 40 himself as well.

Quick

Banned
Weirdly enough their website seems to imply it ends Friday. I would have though they end Thursday. New flyers start on Friday right?

I'm hoping at least Friday. I'm ALMOST done with Tomb Raider.

If I trade it in, I pretty much spent $6.50 for Tomb Raider and Hitman: Absolution.

jcutner

This isn't gaming related... well, I'll be sitting on it to game...

I'm going to be moving out shortly, and since I have no living room stuff - I'll need to start getting furniture! I'd like a comfy couch, and I didn't much care for what I saw at Ikea. I saw a bunch of modern design stores online but they are pricy (structube, modern sensibility, west elm, eq3, etc)

I saw this one http://www.leons.ca/living-room-furniture/leather/sofas/calla-ii-sofa/1539404.aspx from Leon's. It seems to be on sale for $799 - any thoughts or maybe somewhere else I should look? That design looks pretty good to me, and I sat on it and it's comfy!

Also, TV stand ideas? I'll be bringing my 40" LED backlit tv with me.

RS4-

Every once and a while we shop at the stores you mentioned. Personally though, I'm just not a fan of leather, especially with our godawful summer heat.

snorggy

I like the aesthetic of leather couches but they generate too much heat and swass I find :(

couch deals are the new pillow deals?

We had a problem with them for a while but they got fixed. Only thing is just try to complete checkout at once, meaning don't try the code without finalizing the purchase cause sometimes it just counts as used.

@Calgary Gaf: I think SDM has PS3 Official Bluetooth headset for 30$ this week and I wanna buy one but can't find a store that carry them, could you let me any SDM store that usually carry good gaming stuff?

I can check the two SDMs in Airdrie for you if you'd like, though it's a bit of a drive if you're not in the NE.

zroid

Banned
Some Animal Crossing news for Canadians:

Official Nintendo-sanctioned "meet-ups":

Calling all Animal Crossing fans in Canada!

There’s going to be a Nintendo-hosted Animal Crossing Meet Up coming to your neighbourhood soon!

On JUNE 15th - 16th and JUNE 22nd - 23rd, we’ll be celebrating the launch of the new Animal Crossing: New Leaf on the Nintendo 3DS System, by facilitating Animal Crossing Meet Ups at multiple locations across Canada. Animal Crossing players are invited to bring their Nintendo 3DS and 3DS XL systems with their Animal Crossing: New Leaf game to interact and share with other Animal Crossing fans.

This will also be a great opportunity to StreetPass other players for your Happy Home Showcase, trade items, and play mini-games with other Animal Crossing fans in your neighbourhood!

If you’ve always wanted to find a local Meet Up, this is the perfect time to meet some new Animal Crossing players in your area.

While there, be sure to look out for our Animal Crossing Ambassador wearing an branded T-shirt. To make the experience memorable, the Ambassador will be on hand to hand out a complimentary gift to the first 50 players to show up at each Meet-Up. They’ll also be there to discuss everything you love about Animal Crossing as well.

You’ll find our Animal Crossing Ambassadors holding a Meet Up at the following locations from 1:00PM – 5:00PM
•Toronto @ Scarborough Town Centre
• Toronto @ Wellesly Community Center (June 16th, 22nd and 23rd only)
• Calgary @ Cardel Place (June 16th, 22nd and 23rd only)
• Edmonton @ Mill Woods Rec Center(June 16th, 22nd and 23rd only)
• Halifax @ Scotia Square
• Montreal @ Montreal Eaton Centre
• Vancouver @ Lansdowne Shopping Centre

and free DLC at Best Buy Nintendo Zone:

Visit Nintendo Zone™ locations at participating Best Buy stores with your Nintendo 3DS™ and Animal Crossing: New Leaf game on the below dates to receive Animal Crossing: New Leaf SpotPass™ items*!

Click here to find a Best Buy Nintendo Zone location near you.

*Items can be downloaded once per player and are available for a limited time.
6/16-6/29 RACCOON WALL-CLOCK
6/30-7/13 CAT TOWER
7/14-7/27 SUITCASE
7/28-8/10 DOUBLE NECK GUITAR

zroid

Banned
What a Best Buy Nintendo Zone looks like?

Nintendo Zone is just the wi-fi thing that your 3DS automatically connects to in Best Buy stores. You should have a Nintendo Zone app already installed. Not sure if you have to access the app to get the DLC or if it's automatic, though.

Nintendo Zone is just the wi-fi thing that your 3DS automatically connects to in Best Buy stores. You should have a Nintendo Zone app already installed. Not sure if you have to access the app to get the DLC or if it's automatic, though.

Thanks! I will test that out at my closest Best Buy during the Animal Crossing event!

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Oh Canada-GAF, I fucked myself over so badly today: I wanted to take advantage of the "trade one get a $40 gift card" at Future Shop, so instead of claiming my pre-order for DKCR 3D at EB games, I put that money towards MH3U to get the CN coins and just trade it in at FS later.

Well, turns out Manitoban laws make no fucking sense as FS wouldn't take my game because video game trade-ins are forbidden in here. To avoid losing my money (I tried the Monster Hunter demo and the controls were atrocious), I had to send the game to my family in BC thorugh express post (had to pay like $10), and I'm crossing my fingers that the game reaches them before the promo expires. Otherwise, I'm gonna be stuck with a game I didn't even want in the first place. FML

TL;DR: Manitoba is stupid

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I hope E3 deals are good this year.. and tsilon at least speaks up soon. The BB one is looking like ass right now.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
I hope E3 deals are good this year.. and tsilon at least speaks up soon. The BB one is looking like ass right now.

I'm also crossing my fingers. This would decide if I buy a lot of games in the coming months, or a boatload of games. I really, really, really hope the $20 off codes are back and allows us to order 3DS/Vita games...

krae_man

Man I still have 7 games preordered from last year:

Rayman Legends
Watch Dogs
Warriors Lair lol
The Last Guardian lol
South Park The Stick of Truth
The Last of Us
Beyond Two Souls

zeitgeist

Sorry I've already asked this but does anyone know if you get a $10 off code for reserving Last of Us from Futureshop?

More on topic: I think we might see a Wii U price drop in early fall before the new consoles launch. And for E3 I expect we will get the same deals we got last year from FS and BB.

Sora_N

Oh Canada-GAF, I fucked myself over so badly today: I wanted to take advantage of the "trade one get a $40 gift card" at Future Shop, so instead of claiming my pre-order for DKCR 3D at EB games, I put that money towards MH3U to get the CN coins and just trade it in at FS later.

Well, turns out Manitoban laws make no fucking sense as FS wouldn't take my game because video game trade-ins are forbidden in here. To avoid losing my money (I tried the Monster Hunter demo and the controls were atrocious), I had to send the game to my family in BC thorugh express post (had to pay like $10), and I'm crossing my fingers that the game reaches them before the promo expires. Otherwise, I'm gonna be stuck with a game I didn't even want in the first place. FML

TL;DR: Manitoba is stupid

Damn that sucks, I hope it works out.

For the Futureshop trade 1 for $40, can I trade in 3 games and get $40 each time? Or do I have to do the 2 for $60?

The ad says something like 1 per customer, so unless you get a nice FS employee (who might let you do three transactions of trade 1 get $40), the best you can hope for is doing a trade 1 and a trade 2.

For those of you interested in a WD My Passport 2TB hard drive, price match at Best Buy for $105.99.

I just got one and probably the cheapest you can find around around.

705775.jpg

http://techcitycanada.ca/index.php?id_product=8&controller=product - $109.99

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/wd-wd-my-passport-2tb-portable-external-usb-3-0-hard-drive-wdby8l0020bbk-nesn-black-wdby8l0020bbk-nesn/10180515.aspx?path=d7d1de312a7eeeddc153d07ffa9cf007en02&SearchPageIndex=2 - 149.99

Top Bottom