• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mystery Science Theater 3000 Season 11 |OT| It Stinks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd echo everyone else so far. It's excellent. Kind of shockingly so. Like, I expected to enjoy it - but more so just as another riffing project, or out of nostalgia - but I genuinely think it's living up to the series history.

I've only watched the first 3 episodes (silly life getting in the way of binge watching). The first episode is the roughest, but still very enjoyable. I think this 'roughness' is mostly because it's our first exposure to the newish look, and the new voices, and crew and so on. Part of it is structural as well - feels weirdly rushed and a little disjointed. Not bad by any means, but it was about what I was expecting going into the show.

Episode 2 and 3 though? Holy cow - really nailed it. 2 was much better than 1, and 3 is probably going to go down as a classic for me honestly. I was in *tears* at one point I was laughing so hard.

I really think people who dug the original series will equally dig this. And I hope it finds a new audience as well. It really deserves it.

Yeah episode 2 is among the all-time best for the series, in my opinion. And I hate everything.

I'm only through episode 4 but I'm very surprised by how good this is. I mean this show has always been inconsistent (easy to miss if you've only been watching the 20 Best Episodes Ever for the last few years) so there are still dry spells when the movie doesn't give them much to work with. But I think this proves the show can be an institution that lasts as long as they want it to.

When they announced Elliot Kalan as the head writer, any worries I had really vanished right then. He is literally the exact perfect comedy writer they could have possibly hired for the job. And from the start, I thought Jonah was a great choice for the new host.
WOW, how had I not heard about this until just now?!

I absolutely love Eliott Kalan's humor. I was already excited for this but now I'm over the moon about it!

El Topo

It's releasing in all English speaking Netflix countries (Canada, UK, AUNZ). Nothing for the rest, which I can understand, since some of the jokes are very hard to adapt. (Plus, rights)

I really hope the episodes will be available in some capacity other than their (really expensive) VHX store.

opoth

Banned
Huh, why's that? Because of the Daily Show

Yes, other bona fides aren't important. Some people hear the words Daily Show and lose it. Just picture GAF's theoretical reaction to like, Rifftrax announcing that Sean Hannity would be permanently joining as their 4th man on stage or whatever.

opoth

Banned
I heard from a friend who backed this on kickstarter that it was complete garbage.

I read on the internet that everything you read on the internet is true.

In all seriousness though, it's better than I thought it would be, I backed it and hoped it would be good, not great. I was kind of envisioning this season as a dry run for these new guys to learn the ropes with the hope that the lessons learned would eventually lead to great things in potential future seasons. I found that so far, it has exceeded those best case scenario expectations I had.

Aesthetically it reminds me of the Joel era, the theater segments are like a more manic paced version of the SciFi era. That pace ebbs and flows but it's generally tending toward fast. Ultimately, there's always going to be some Joel people, some Mike people, some people who love it all, and others who found the show impenetrable up until now and maybe this new crew will be the ones that help some new people get it. It's certainly not garbage by any stretch of the imagination and it has its own voice but retains the old voice, just like the handover to Mike did.

Blader

How's the new Servo?

Kevin Murphy is such a damned high bar to clear. I'm nervous. :/

Only watched the first ep so far, but he sounds alright. Hard to distinguish between his and Jonah's voices during the movie but I think others have said it becomes easier to tell them apart in later episodes.

Sanjuro

I would say it's safe to say Servo is the least distinct test subject in the episodes I've seen so far....that is until he breaks into song.

Different. Don't try and compare, just judge him on his own performance and you should be fine.
Is he better than the guy the had doing Servo's voice in season 1 of MST3K?

I was rewatching the series a few years ago and I couldn't watch many episodes of that season just because I couldn't stand his voice.

Not that I mind at all, but is there a story reason why a new victim kidnapped by a new set of Mads and trapped in a new location would have the same robot friends?

I know, I should really just relax.

mclem

I'm really curious about the film lineup, and excited it's gonna focus up on more "recent" stuff.

One of the things that's struck me in particular - as someone who's been going through the very early years recently - is how *good* the films in this new series are in terms of film stock quality. While there's occasional graininess still, of course, it's *so* much easier to watch just by virtue of being much better prints than early MST3k.

Sanjuro

I'm really curious about the film lineup, and excited it's gonna focus up on more "recent" stuff.

Nope. It's reminiscent of the Sci-Fi era selection. No shorts though.

I hope the shorts do return. With this medium though, it honestly is something they could produce in between seasons as well.

One of the things that's struck me in particular - as someone who's been going through the very early years recently - is how *good* the films in this new series are in terms of film stock quality. While there's occasional graininess still, of course, it's *so* much easier to watch just by virtue of being much better prints than early MST3k.

I believe the quality of the prints had some bearing on the films they chose, I think Joel talked about that in one of the interviews or Q&As.

Any impressions from backers or early reviews?

It's absolutely fashinating....

Seriously though, it's fantastic. I watched the first two episodes twice now (my wife wanted to watch with me) and I'm in tears at how good it is and that MST3K is back. First episode takes an adjustment, but then 2nd is almost top 10.

Not that I mind at all, but is there a story reason why a new victim kidnapped by a new set of Mads and trapped in a new location would have the same robot friends?

So part of that question is false but to answer it anyway, not really from what I remember. But I watched the first episode on a TV distracted unlike the rest of the season which I've watched on a monitor with headphones.

I'll say that if they don't answer it in the first part of episode 1101, then they don't really answer it the rest of the season.

Mother of God...the end of experiment 1108 is amazing.
LOL yes! It was very classic MST3K.

Can someone tell me where I've seen the Peterson guy from the first episode?

This guy:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0664850/?ref_=tt_cl_t6

I see nothing in his discography that looks familiar, but I know I've seen his face! Maybe in another MST3K movie?

There is a relatively popular gif from Reptilicus that has been bouncing around the internet for years.

kuva_1247668191.gif

B.K.

Kinga had 10 seasons of MST3k to watch. She could have built new versions of Crow, Gypsy, and Htom Sirveaux and programmed them to be like they were in the episodes she watched.

Machine

I have been watching the new episodes in order and just watched 1104. I haven't been following the updates very closely so imagine my surprise when I found out that we now have celebrity cameos. This season keeps getting better.

Venture

Just restarted my Netflix membership, so I'm all set. I was going to do it eventually anyway but did it today to show a little support for Joel and MST3K. Honestly I'm not getting my hopes up but Ill certainly give it a chance. The preview was promising anyway.

RetroMG

Rifftrax did a little shoutout to the show's return during tonight's Rifftrax Live event.

Also worth mentioning that the live show was HILARIOUS. Worth picking up whenever it comes out. I don't think I've said, "What the hell?" So many times in a single movie since I saw The Room.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom