• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is 2017 the best year for games since 1998?

sotojuan

What was the year Bioshock 1 and all those games came out? 2007? I still remember that year being incredible.

I remember back in 2007 it was called the best year in gaming not only on forums but in websites and magazines.

It seems that the years considered "best" in gaming are usually two or three years into their respective generations (with 2017 being a little late).

Myze

-Breath of the Wild
-Horizon
-Yakuza 0
-Nier Automata
-Persona 5
-Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
-Stormblood
-Sonic Mania
-Splatoon 2
-New 3D Mario
-Crash Bandicoot Revival
-Tekken 7

Ok, so this is 12 games. If you took the best 12 games from prior years, I feel like the inclusion of Stormblood, Crash Bandicoot, Persona 5 (isn't general consensus that this was definitely not a bad game but really disappointing?) and Splatoon 2 make this a pretty weak 12 to bring to the fight.

Also, this definitely wasn't the best year for Microsoft. According to the list, their big three for 2017 are Tekken 7, dlc for a 2016 game, and a downloadable Sonic title.

Persona 5 is probably a big chunk of people's GOTY (it is mine), and possibly only second behind BotW. There are some detractors, but really the biggest complaint is that it's not as good as Person 4, and even that is the minority. It definitely is not a consensus disappointment from what I've seen based on GAF, reviews and my personal opinion.

Lunar15

I don't know about comparing it to other years, but to me, it feels like a year where a lot of developers learned from the mistakes of previous generations. I feel like fans and developers are on a similar wavelength and it feels good.

A lot of games just smack of listening to fan-feedback while improving on old models. See: Sonic Mania & Breath of the Wild

You're also seeing a slight bit more mainstream love for titles that were completely niche last generation. See: Persona 5, Nier Automata, & Yakuza 0

There's also some new IP out of the west that feels genuinely fresh while also taking some of the best elements of beloved genres. See: Horizon Zero Dawn & Prey

Then you have some kind of nuts phenomenon: Player Unknown's Battlegrounds.

I'm not sure if we have a higher number of genuinely ground breaking games compared to previous years, but I just think that there's an overall "good feeling" about most releases coming out these days. A high diversity of genres, a lot of new & old, realistic & stylized, etc.

FRS1987

i do not agree
2004 was good though

Same. 1998 had

Half-Life
Metal Gear Solid
StarCraft
Ocarina of time
Resident Evil 2
Baldur's Gate
Xenogears
Grim Fandango
Parasite Eve
Suikoden 2
Marvel vs Capcom
Pokemon Yellow (if you want to count that)

2004 had

Half-Life 2 (which I still feel is inferior to 1)
San Andreas
Halo 2
Metal Gear Solid 3
Counter Strike Source
Unreal 2k4
Paper Mario TTYD

Aim_Ed

2015 is underrated. Witcher 3, Bloodborne and MGS V are all 10/10 games. I don't think we've had 3 10/10 games this year.

Horizon and BotW so far, personally I'd say Sonic Mania but I assume you mean AAA titles.

We still have Fall/Christmas to look forward to.

2015 is underrated. Witcher 3, Bloodborne and MGS V are all 10/10 games. I don't think we've had 3 10/10 games this year.

2015 had a few really great games (Splatoon, Life is Strange, MGSV, Xenoblade X are my tops, haven't played BB or Witcher) but it was brutal how 80% of the most anticipated games either were forgotten really quickly (Order, Arkham Knight, Halo 5) or got delayed (BOTW, Uncharted 4, Persona 5...).

What's the point here? I'd guess over 90% of this forum are not part of the Japanese release calender.

I'm cheeky.

I agree with this. From what I've played so far this year, I'd put only BotW in the same category as those three. Though I haven't gotten around to starting Horizon yet, so maybe that's two. Either way, this year hasn't been the best as far as the cream of the crop goes, but there is still time...

I wish I loved MGS V as much as other people. It had so much right as it relates to gameplay, but it felt unfinished to me in some respects.

Bloodborne and Witcher 3 felt like complete (and incredible) games to me.

No one's forcing anything. It's not like this comes up so regularly every year. I think if anything this year is being underrated by many folks here. I've been gaming since 1991 and this is certainly one of the best years I've ever seen.

Great list, OP. I'd definitely add What Remains of Edith Finch, Hellblade, and Night in the Woods to that list as well.

yes. this comes up every year. multiple times.

Fbh

Don't know if the best but at least for me it's among the top 3 of all time
I just can't remember the last time I struggled to keep up with all the new releases I really wanted to play.

So far I've played

The Last Guardian (this one isn't even from this year!)
Nioh
Horizon
Persona 5

Still have to play (some of which I've already purchased)
Nier Automata
Gravity Rush 2
Yakuza 0
Rime
Resident Evil 7
Hell Blade
Breath of the Wild
Dark Souls 3 DLC
Prey
Pyre
Owlboy

Right now there are enough 2017 games out for me to play until at very least early 2018 or more. In over 20 years of gaming I've never had this happen to me

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Don't see why people always bring up 2004 that year was so MEH

1994, 1998, 2007, were truly great years

2017 is pretty good tho

Servbot24

Banned
I mean honestly... Not really. This has been a pretty good year to be sure with the launch of the Switch and Zelda with Mario on the way but at the same time Microsoft has completely failed to bring anything new to the table this year and thats WITH an upgraded Xbox One coming out as well. A truly great year has all platforms doing extremely well or at least having notable titles Microsoft certainly lacks that.

XBox had zero games in 1998. They're not essential to having a great year.

Persona 5 and Zelda are on that level, and Mario could end up there too. Though Bloodborne will still probably be the best of the gen.

2016 sucked but you have a 2016 game in your OP?

Don't be cute.

DJIzana

I think 2018 and 2019 will be better. The number of titles I'm looking forward to those years... far too many compared to 2017.

I'm not saying 2017 is a bad year or anything. I've had a fair number of games I've loved. A lot of memorable ones too. Titles like Nier Automata, Yakuza 0, Persona 5, Breath of the Wild all great games and still have Super Mario Odyssey and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 this year as well (apparently).

2018/2019 brings me, personally, Granblue Fantasy Re: Link, Anthem, Monster Hunter World, Yakuza 6 (and possibly the next Yakuza), Ni no Kuni 2, Code Vein, DBZ Fighters, Fire Emblem Switch, Pokemon Switch, Metroid Prime 4, Kingdom Hearts 3, FFVII Remake + titles yet to be announced.

I also don't want to forget the year Smash Bros U, Xenoblade Chronicles X and Dark Souls 3 came out as well. 2014-2016 were pretty solid there too just... not as much, in ways.

Edit: I think that nostalgia makes it hard to agree that it's the best as well... hard to top Earthbound and Chrono Trigger releasing the same year (or other years like 1999, 2000 or 2006).

2017 is pretty good tho
2004 was really top-heavy, with Half-Life 2, MGS3, Prime 2 and San Andreas. But my recollection was that there wasn't a whole lot outside of those few really good games that came out towards the end of the year. I don't consider it anywhere near on the same level as 1998, 2001 and others.

I think 2010 and 2011 are a bit underrated. A lot of great games both years, and a lot of variety to them.

Euron

Not at all, it's actually done almost nothing for me so far. 2015 on the other hand was the best ever for me: Bloodborne, The Witcher 3, Undertale, Rocket League, MGSV, Halo 5 Arena, Super Mario Maker, and more were all fantastic, some of which being my favorites ever.

2007 is close with Super Mario Galaxy, Halo 3, CoD4, Rock Band, Bioshock, Mass Effect, and God of War 2.

Rajang

Same. 1998 had

Half-Life
Metal Gear Solid
StarCraft
Ocarina of time
Resident Evil 2
Baldur's Gate
Xenogears
Grim Fandango
Parasite Eve
Suikoden 2
Marvel vs Capcom
Pokemon Yellow (if you want to count that)

2004 had

San Andreas
Halo 2
Metal Gear Solid 3
Counter Strike Source
Unreal 2k4
Paper Mario TTYD

Also in 1998

Tekken 3 (PS1 release)
Fallout 2
Spyro the Dragon
Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped
Pokémon Red and Blue (western release)
MediEvil
Final Fantasy Tactics
Gran Turismo
Thief

2004 had

San Andreas
Halo 2
Metal Gear Solid 3
Counter Strike Source
Unreal 2k4
Paper Mario TTYD

and
Metroid Prime 2
Burnout 3
Need for Speed Underground 2
MGS: Twin Snakes
KOTOR 2
World of Warcraft
Fable
Katamari Damacy

and a few others. Plus the DS launch (even though the launch games weren't great)

2017 is pretty good tho

blasphemy!

For some gamers every year is the best year ever...

Some people just loved rating everything the "this is the best * ever"

bet you no one was saying this in 2014.

And tbf, 2015 was looking like an exceptional year until some big games got delayed (Uncharted, Zelda) and others disappointed (Halo, The Order). Same thing happened with 2016 too. Both were still good years though. Better than 2014 anyway...

Between big releases and smaller stuff, I've gotten more play time/enjoyment this year. If Odyssey is as good as it looks and Xenoblade 2 is as good as the original, then 2017 will probably be one of the best years in recent memory.

This year has been great for couch co-op/local multiplayer as well. My girlfriend and I (as well as friends we have over) have put a ton of time in to ARMs, Jackbox Party, Death Squared, Mario Kart, Overcooked, Flip Wars, Bomberman, etc. Games like this have become instant buys because of the play time they get. The ACA Neo Geo releases are a favorite for my brother and me, too. SHMUPs and beat em ups were our favorites as kids.

Megatron

It's the best year for games since 2016.

2016 was a dumpster fire. Thank god that year is over. One of the all time worst for gaming.

2017 is phenomenal.

bet you no one was saying this in 2014.

And tbf, 2015 was looking like an exceptional year until some big games got delayed (Uncharted, Zelda) and others disappointed (Halo, The Order). Same thing happened with 2016 too. Both were still good years though. Better than 2014 anyway...

2014 is unfairly hated on. Its much stronger than people think. It had to follow up a fantastic 2013, so maybe thats part of it.

Vandole

It's always tough to argue which year is better than another. However, whenever a year has this many quality games and you can mention it in the same breath is other big years like 1998, you know things are pretty damn good.

Unknown?

No summer drought this year with Mania and Uncharted this month and smaller titles like Yakuza and Everybody's Golf.

Gartooth

Absolutely! Granted a lot of it is because this year caters a ton to my interests in gaming. (Nintendo + Sony 1st party, classic platformer revivals, JRPGS) Two major games ended up disappointing me (Yooka Laylee and Marvel Infinite) but I don't even really care since there's so much great stuff to play.

It's probably my favorite year of releases ever honestly. So many games that are up my alley, which is a huge change over some previous years. 2015 had me questioning if I was really still interested in video games long-term, and this year turned me around. I've been playing sequels for the most part, but they have all been so good and short in between. Even games you won't see on every websites' GOTY lists, like UNIST or Project Diva, have provided me with so much entertainment. Long-term support for my favorite online shooters, like Overwatch and Rainbow Six, has also been awesome.

Crazy to think there's still more coming too. I could have formed my GOTY list months ago with all the things I've played already. And there's still big games like Gundam VS, Mario Odyssey, and Wolfenstein 2 coming.

Top Bottom