• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I had a successful (and not crazy expensive) Gen Con. Grabbed:

• Mice and Mystics
  • Flip City
  • Burger Up
  • Runebound Co-op/Solo expansion
  • Shadows of Brimstone 6 Mission Pack (Mega Pack was sold out, but it was the same value)

I demoed Disney Codenames and loved it (will buy when it comes out), Fallout (already preordered), and watched a game of Clank. I want to grab Clank, but I need to decide how much play it will get. Fallout is super cool and should deliver on all of my expectations. I wanted to grab Codenames Duet, but they only had a few copies each day. Apparently that comes out soon, though.

A lot of other things I saw and could talk about if I weren't mobile, but overall, I can say I had a great time for the one day I was there. A lot of great gaming to be had in the future!

Picked up a few more things because why not. Lazer Ryders, Dread Draw, and Century Golem Edition.

Honestly, my surprise game of the show is a TCG. Not technically a board game, I know, but I'm going to talk about it briefly anyway. It's called Lightseekers, and kind of (pretty much) apes Skylanders art style. There is also a F2P game that is an arpg set in the same world. But don't let things fool you like I almost did. It's a surprisingly easy to grasp but mechanically deep game. There are no resources in the traditional sense. There are some combo cards that require you to shuffle cards with the appropriate symbols from your hand back into your deck, but that's the extent of resources. The meat of the game is in the card rotating mechanic. At the beginning of your turn, cards in your playing field rotate clockwise. If there is a symbol with a number in the top right once it rotates, you do the cards effects, generally based on the number. If there isn't anything once it rotates, it's discarded. This is compulsory, and don't confuse it with tapping. It goes around on a full circle, if there are symbols in every corner. So you end up building combo machines like, "if I wait to play this card a turn, this card I have in play will be rotated twice, which means it will do double damage when it rotates once." That's a simple example, but gets your head in the right place. I've mostly sworn off of collectible games, but this game really impressed me.

Let me know what you think about Lazer Ryders. I fully admit I'm ready to buy it on packaging alone. Never played anything like that before, but it sounds like it could be fun? Again, the aesthetic and packaging has me readying my wallet, but would like to hear some opinions on the game itself.

Experien

How to Rob a Bank, picked it up from Target today.

Fun, little game but I can see playing four players, the bank guard has a tough time. Definitely a good chunk of strategy in it.

joelseph

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
So Gencon dinged me for:

Cthulhu Wars expansions:
Tcho Tcho faction
Sleeper faction
Great Old One 1 pack
High Priests

Millenium Blades Set Rotation
Battlecon Promo characters
Shadowrun Crossfire + xpac
Mistfall
Clash of Cultures + xpac
Captain Sonar
Some mechs for Battletech

I will write up some more later when I am not on my phone but it was a great time.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a good cribbage killer. I can't get my parents to ever play board games with me, but they'll play cribbage my my brother or grandmother all the time and its infuriating.

zulux21

Does anyone have a suggestion for a good cribbage killer. I can't get my parents to ever play board games with me, but they'll play cribbage my my brother or grandmother all the time and its infuriating.

this was the best cribbage joke I could come up with
aX5uIm0.png

but uh, I don't think there is such a thing as a cribbage killer.

some people don't have any interest in board games but are happy to play card games.

you might have some luck with something like code names or dixit though.

EYEL1NER

I know I was expressing some disappointment in the lighter rules of SONAR after reading them, but I was able to meet up with a guy from my game group last night and we played a 1v1 match on the map with a ton of islands. I was expecting it to go really quick but the match lasted quite a while. We both enjoyed it though, it was a winner. Easy enough for each of us to handle both roles at the same time too.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Since I'm assembling minis for SOB and can't play it until that's done, I've decided to give Feast For Odin a college effort over the next few days! Here we go!!

Blizzard

Banned
Since I'm assembling minis for SOB and can't play it until that's done, I've decided to give Feast For Odin a college effort over the next few days! Here we go!!
Post if you have any questions! Did you see the post I made a while back with somewhat common mistakes? I can dig it back up for you.

In other news, I've finally been sold on Great Western Trail. I thought you might need to love the western theme, but I've heard that's not necessary plus it's quite solid for 2 players. So now my only question is, does anyone know a good place to buy the English 2nd edition? I think it only corrects some small mistakes like a misprinted tile, but people haven't had any success getting the misprinted tile replaced by itself so I'd rather just get the 2nd edition outright. *edit* Miniature Market said their computer lists it as 2nd edition. No one else knew, and I haven't found out a way to distinguish the boxes.

I'm making a concerted effort to actually play the games I purchased at Gen Con this year. In the spirit of my noble goal, we played Professor Evil and the Citadel of Time during lunch today.

For those that don't know, PEatCoT is a co-op game for 2-4 players in which you are attempting to save valuable treasures that Professor Evil has captured and hidden in his, well, Citadel of Time. Each player takes a character, all of which have unique abilities, along with a six-card deck they'll draw from every turn. The setup of the traps and treasures is randomized every game, so this adds some level of replayability, and the difficulty can be tweaked by variance during setup, such as including/removing more difficult to capture treasures. We played what the manual recommended for the first game and it was pretty easy, so experienced board game players can probably just forego the easy mode.

On each turn, a player draws two card from their deck. During their action phase, they can use one of the two cards they drew. At the end of turn, both are discarded, so generally you want to use one anyway. During your turn you have three actions and can:

1. Unlock a door.
  2. Turn OFF a switch for a trap for the room you are in.
  3. Move through an unlocked door to an adjacent room.
  4. Save a treasure.

In order to save a treasure, ALL traps in the Citadel of the type shown on it must be switched OFF. This is where the puzzle-y aspect of the game comes in, where you try to coordinate who can turn off what so others can save treasure. The goal being to save four treasures. If the Professor manages to lock four away, you lose. And how does he do this, you ask? Well, with a pretty cool set of dice that control his AI. At the end of each players turn, they roll three dice. One determines if he moves or if a treasure token moves counterclockwise on the clock dial (more on this in a minute). One determines how far forward the clock dial moves. The last determines which direction he will move or which treasure token moves.

COLORBLIND WARNING: Unfortunately, this game uses color for some of its mechanics without using corresponding symbology. It's disappointing and honestly the only blemish on the game for me after a playthrough. I'm not colorblind, but do play with people that are. They even use red and green. Like, seriously, guys. END COLORBLIND WARNING.

When the Professor moves, he does a few things. He locks unlocked doors he moves through. He switches on traps in every room he moves through if they're turned off. If he ends in a room where a player is, they are bounced outside of the Citadel and have to spend an action to move back in on their turn.

I've mentioned treasure tokens. There are always only three treasures available to save in the Citadel at a time. When one is saved or captured, a new one replaces it. When you place a treasure, you put a token on it, then put the corresponding token on the clock dial in the position indicated by the treasure. If the clock dial ever passes a token, or is a token is moved counterclockwise passed the dial, it is captured by the Professor.

Those are the basics. I mentioned each character has unique abilities. I was playing a character that could manipulate the clock dial with my cards. Someone else was able to move people around the board. Another could manipulate dice.

Very enjoyable game overall after one playthrough. It's really easy to grok, but becomes puzzle-y very quickly. Like, we were set up to win, and my Professor roll completely pushed us back a few turns. Can't wait to try it again.

I managed to sell my Dark Soul wave 2 pledge contents.

But I still have the base game. Anyone interested?

I've opened it, punched the tiles, sleeved the larger cards, organized tokens and cards into baggies, but never did play my copy. It's virtually brand new.

Anyone played Tiny Epic Quests? It looks quite novel and fun.. Is it? Does it sort of feel like Zelda, as they say?

I've opened it, punched the tiles, sleeved the larger cards, organized tokens and cards into baggies, but never did play my copy. It's virtually brand new.

Anyone played Tiny Epic Quests? It looks quite novel and fun.. Is it? Does it sort of feel like Zelda, as they say?

Depending upon the price though I've heard it's pretty bad

TEQ is really fun, it's only like Zelda in the sense that the items you get for your meeples enable them to do things better and the items are zelda items. Gameplay wise it's essentially a mixture of worker placement and push your luck. Like all of the TE games the fact you play on everyone's turn keeps everyone involved. My only issue with teq is that you need to learn how to be efficient with moves during the day otherwise you can't do much at night.

Blizzard

Banned
Can you hunt it down? I'm not sure how far back it is!
Here you go:

I was going to send this to HashtagLegend, but I'll just post it here since multiple people are getting it. A few easy things to overlook in Feast for Odin:

• You can only put one of each type of tile horizontally in the feast phase.
  • To get bonus spaces, you must surround all 8 adjacent spaces, not just 4.
  • Read the income-covering rules and examples carefully, since this is an important mechanic.
  • You can buy ships using money without taking an action. You can also load ore onto them outside of an action.
  • When you use a dice space, you get to roll up to 3 times, though you must accept the last roll you make.
  • In the mountain phase, remove the leftmost resource on every mountain tile. If any tiles are empty, then you remove the EMPTY tiles. In the original rules it was easy to misinterpret (people would see a tile with silver + ore, remove the ore, and then remove the tile -- this is wrong -- silver can be left by itself after the mountain phase).
  • In the final round, you can choose to pay yourself your income in silver, or simply add it to your final score. You do NOT do both.
  • When you add silver to unclaimed islands, do it even if someone owns the island that would have been flipped.
  • When the rules say the market spaces are bad, they are not joking. It's hard to starve so you should pretty much never use those spaces unless you get forced to due to starvation, or you have an occupation that improves them.
  • Houses use the same placement rules as islands and the main board, EXCEPT you cannot put ore in houses, and you can put green tiles next to each other in houses.

daevv

Back from my 3rd Gen Con and had a blast! All five of us that went agreed that it didn't seem crowed at all. The expansions made really opened up the convention center. Sure you had some congestion at intersections in the vender hall from time to time but for the most part it was great!

I played X-Wing all day Thursday and since I wasn't not worried about anything I wanted selling out I bought stuff on Friday and Saturday before leaving Sunday morning. I managed to get most of the items on my list plus some impulse buys either on the floor or auction store. First 6 items below were on my list to buy, the rest were impulse buys. Wanted to get the USA version of Monopoly Deal as here in Canada the text is super small to hold the different languages while the American version is in English only with larger print. Managed to find Risk Europe while waiting in the auction store to buy other games. It went up for auction and didn't sell so I snagged it when it was brought down to the store table. :)

Downforce - New
Indulgence - New
Monopoly Deal - New
Risk Europe - Auction Store
Centery Spice Road Playmat - New
X-wing Guns for Hire expansion -New

Friday - Auction Store
Dungeonscroll - Auction Store
Quartermaster General - Auction Store
Beowulf The Movie Boardgame - Auction Store
13 Days - New

I went with the intention of buying both the Apocrypha Adventure Card Game ($80usd) and Sidereal Confluence ($65usd) while there but the prices were just to high for games that will be tough to get to the table. Other then those two I was hoping to luck into a copy of Targi and Trekking the Nation Parks from a 3rd party. Targi is out of print currently and hard to find while Trekking is expensive to ship to Canada.

Hoping to go back next year but every second year might be my norm going forward.

I'm making a concerted effort to actually play the games I purchased at Gen Con this year. In the spirit of my noble goal, we played Professor Evil and the Citadel of Time during lunch today.

For those that don't know, PEatCoT is a co-op game for 2-4 players in which you are attempting to save valuable treasures that Professor Evil has captured and hidden in his, well, Citadel of Time. Each player takes a character, all of which have unique abilities, along with a six-card deck they'll draw from every turn. The setup of the traps and treasures is randomized every game, so this adds some level of replayability, and the difficulty can be tweaked by variance during setup, such as including/removing more difficult to capture treasures. We played what the manual recommended for the first game and it was pretty easy, so experienced board game players can probably just forego the easy mode.

On each turn, a player draws two card from their deck. During their action phase, they can use one of the two cards they drew. At the end of turn, both are discarded, so generally you want to use one anyway. During your turn you have three actions and can:

1. Unlock a door.
  4. Save a treasure.

In order to save a treasure, ALL traps in the Citadel of the type shown on it must be switched OFF. This is where the puzzle-y aspect of the game comes in, where you try to coordinate who can turn off what so others can save treasure. The goal being to save four treasures. If the Professor manages to lock four away, you lose. And how does he do this, you ask? Well, with a pretty cool set of dice that control his AI. At the end of each players turn, they roll three dice. One determines if he moves or if a treasure token moves counterclockwise on the clock dial (more on this in a minute). One determines how far forward the clock dial moves. The last determines which direction he will move or which treasure token moves.

COLORBLIND WARNING: Unfortunately, this game uses color for some of its mechanics without using corresponding symbology. It's disappointing and honestly the only blemish on the game for me after a playthrough. I'm not colorblind, but do play with people that are. They even use red and green. Like, seriously, guys. END COLORBLIND WARNING.

When the Professor moves, he does a few things. He locks unlocked doors he moves through. He switches on traps in every room he moves through if they're turned off. If he ends in a room where a player is, they are bounced outside of the Citadel and have to spend an action to move back in on their turn.

I've mentioned treasure tokens. There are always only three treasures available to save in the Citadel at a time. When one is saved or captured, a new one replaces it. When you place a treasure, you put a token on it, then put the corresponding token on the clock dial in the position indicated by the treasure. If the clock dial ever passes a token, or is a token is moved counterclockwise passed the dial, it is captured by the Professor.

Those are the basics. I mentioned each character has unique abilities. I was playing a character that could manipulate the clock dial with my cards. Someone else was able to move people around the board. Another could manipulate dice.

Very enjoyable game overall after one playthrough. It's really easy to grok, but becomes puzzle-y very quickly. Like, we were set up to win, and my Professor roll completely pushed us back a few turns. Can't wait to try it again.

Thanks for the impressions. I have been very interested with this game. Can't wait for it to become available here.

Olorin

Played The Big Book of Madness, Magic Maze and Century: Spice Road this weekend, all for the first time.

Big Book of Madness was a fun little coop deckbuilder. Looks good, and the progressively stronger monsters worked very well.

Magic Maze is an interesting idea, but it wasn't really enjoyable to me. The real-time aspect combined with the fact that you can't communicate with the other players makes the game very stressful if one player doesn't see what needs to be done.

Century: Spice Road was great. Really simple to teach, but lots of options, and once we all got the hang of it, turns went pretty quickly.

And I've officially started my own boardgame company, with my first game hopefully hitting Kickstarter in 2018. Exciting times!

zulux21

Played The Big Book of Madness, Magic Maze and Century: Spice Road this weekend, all for the first time.

Big Book of Madness was a fun little coop deckbuilder. Looks good, and the progressively stronger monsters worked very well.

Magic Maze is an interesting idea, but it wasn't really enjoyable to me. The real-time aspect combined with the fact that you can't communicate with the other players makes the game very stressful if one player doesn't see what needs to be done.

Century: Spice Road was great. Really simple to teach, but lots of options, and once we all got the hang of it, turns went pretty quickly.

And I've officially started my own boardgame company, with my first game hopefully hitting Kickstarter in 2018. Exciting times!

I enjoy big book for the most part but the balance in the game is not very good.
some characters are clearly way better, and some spells are garbage while some are amazing in the same tier. If you just choose the spells randomly one game can be really easy and the next super hard on the same difficulty setting depending on what spells you get :/

I mean I don't mind some variability in difficulty but we are talking there are similar spells between tiers that the lower level spell can just be outright better than the higher harder to cast spells which just doesn't seem right.

I wasn't the only one that felt this way though some people have worked on a rebalance on BBG. I am hoping an eventual expansion will eventually help fix it as well as I like the theme and the gameplay for the most part.

1. Unlock a door.
  4. Save a treasure.

Sounds as good as id hoped. Keen to try this one.

Browsing through some gencon videos on YouTube and there was a video play through of a couple of rounds of The Thing: Infection at outpost 31. I'd never heard of it before now.

Damn I was very impressed. Lots of neat ideas in there including the ones you'd expect, like players becoming infected and having to hide the fact while sabotaging victory progress for everyone else.

Seemed very thematic with tight gameplay. Can't wait to see more of this.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Browsing through some gencon videos on YouTube and there was a video play through of a couple of rounds of The Thing: Infection at outpost 31. I'd never heard of it before now.

Damn I was very impressed. Lots of neat ideas in there including the ones you'd expect, like players becoming infected and having to hide the fact while sabotaging victory progress for everyone else.

Seemed very thematic with tight gameplay. Can't wait to see more of this.

yeah, the demos for this were constantly packed, and people left them extremely impressed. This is probably going to be hot.

Regarding Professor Evil..... uggh.... I tried on three different days to buy the damn game.. and CSI is sold out of pre-orders it seems. So frustrating. Played the demo and LOVED it, and am basically unable to buy it. sigh.

I have gone solo through a game of Buffy from Jassco.. It is worth a look if you want a coopoerative game in the style of Arkham Horror, way less playtime and less complex rules, and are a fan of Buffyverse. Wife and daughter have said they'll play also this weekend, something they have had no interest in with previous adventure board games aside from Betrayal at House on the Hill.. the "problem" with that game is we like more cooperative games.. and with the betrayer in that game it usually ends with someone boning it.. this way with buffy it's us vs. the Great Old One.... oops... I mean Big Baddie...

Chorazin

The people I played it with loved it, and I grabbed a copy. Once you realize you only can do a MAX of two things you just need to look at every piece and eliminate the options.

It is funny to watch someone banging the DO SOMETHING token on the table and they're like "WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM ME!!"

mclem

Time to return to a question I've asked a couple of times previously:

I'm going to be spending some time with my nieces in a few weeks, and so my mind has turned once again to games; from asking in various places I've had various tips for games, and I'm after some more now!

The requirements:
* A game that is entertaining for children aged 8 and 10 (ish), but still engaging for adults.
* Ideally reasonably small and light. Doesn't need to be tiny (I've lugged Carcasonne, for instance, albeit transferred into a pencil case)
* Nothing 'scary'.

When I last did this three years ago
- Dobble (Or "Spot It!" in US parlance) was a huge hit. I let them take that back with them.
- Dixit went pretty well; they were probably a little too young.
- Tried Carcasonne-without-the-farmer-rule, based on a recommendation, but that didn't engage them.
- Bought Hanabi, never got around to trying it! Will be taking that again this time.

Some I'm intending to try out this time based on chats and recommendations from elsewhere:
- Family Fluxx
- Hey! That's my fish.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? It's quite hard to find games that work for two vastly different agegroups!

(I kind of want an excuse to finally buy Ticket to Ride, but I don't think they'd like the aesthetics!)

Edit: Oh, I'm somewhat intrigued by those escape-room-in-a-box titles, but I don't know if any are good for a young audience? I still might pick up one to play with my parents, though!

Edit2: Hmmm, is there something of a similar nature to Galaxy Trucker that would fit the bill?

Sheriff of Nottingham is a game that the kids and the rest of the family love whenever it's brought out also it's easy to learn. Camel Up is another game the kids always want to play as it has lots of cheering and funny moments. You couldn't go wrong with either of these.

Oops! Missed the small and light part. Neither of these (though not bulky games) really fit that category.

Olorin

Does anyone have any other suggestions? It's quite hard to find games that work for two vastly different agegroups!

Tsuro is great for kids, and entertaining enough for adults. The box isn't super small, but it's light.

Kingdomino is probably easy enough for kids and comes in a nice small package.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Tsuro is great for kids, and entertaining enough for adults. The box isn't super small, but it's light.

Kingdomino is probably easy enough for kids and comes in a nice small package.

Tsuro is also free on iOS right now. So it's a good way to try before you buy!

They shipped wave 2?

I'm going to be spending some time with my nieces in a few weeks, and so my mind has turned once again to games; from asking in various places I've had various tips for games, and I'm after some more now!

The requirements:
* A game that is entertaining for children aged 8 and 10 (ish), but still engaging for adults.
* Ideally reasonably small and light. Doesn't need to be tiny (I've lugged Carcasonne, for instance, albeit transferred into a pencil case)
* Nothing 'scary'.

- Dobble (Or "Spot It!" in US parlance) was a huge hit. I let them take that back with them.
- Tried Carcasonne-without-the-farmer-rule, based on a recommendation, but that didn't engage them.
- Bought Hanabi, never got around to trying it! Will be taking that again this time.

Some I'm intending to try out this time based on chats and recommendations from elsewhere:
- Family Fluxx
- Hey! That's my fish.

(I kind of want an excuse to finally buy Ticket to Ride, but I don't think they'd like the aesthetics!)

Edit: Oh, I'm somewhat intrigued by those escape-room-in-a-box titles, but I don't know if any are good for a young audience? I still might pick up one to play with my parents, though!

Edit2: Hmmm, is there something of a similar nature to Galaxy Trucker that would fit the bill?

Small boxes?

Incan gold
One night werewolf
Sushi go
Fuse
Don't mess with cthulhu

Escape rooms? I would only play unlock with kids. It went down well with my 9 year old (helping with puzzles and spotting numbers) and my 6 year old driving the app.

The exit games are better, but mainly with two.

Experien

The requirements:
* Nothing 'scary'.

- Family Fluxx
- Hey! That's my fish.

Oh Captain is like a streamlined Sherriff of Nottingham that is easier and quicker to play. The end doesn't get bogged down with too much math and counting.

Blizzard

Banned
I'll echo the post about Tiny Epic Quest being solid.

I forgot to mention one thing about Feast for Odin that's neat: Maybe it's because I play it every few weeks, but I hardly ever need to do a refresher of the rules, unlike some games. Once you wrap your head around it, it's quite intuitive despite the huge array of decisions. It's also neat that the spacial aspect makes it virtually impossible to 100% optimize, only come close.

In other news, I'm super pumped about Great Western Trail getting here Friday. I was originally unsure if I wanted the game, but everything I've heard about it sounds really positive. I wish there were a 1-player version, but at least it's supposed to be good with 2 players. I do see an unofficial solo automa deck on BGG.

The requirements:
* Nothing 'scary'.

- Family Fluxx
- Hey! That's my fish.

The A-MAZE-ing Labyrinth. I think it may just be called Labyrinth now.

Co-op's like Forbidden Island/Desert.

Looney Quest (This is also fun for playing while drinking with adults)

Potion Explosion (Kinda doesn't follow rule 2, though)

mclem

Looney Quest (This is also fun for playing while drinking with adults)

Potion Explosion (Kinda doesn't follow rule 2, though)

It has just struck me that I could order larger titles and have them sent directly to my parents, rather than having to lug them myself. That should make life a bit easier and I can worry about transporting things back *home* afterwards at my own pace. Just need to make sure I get English versions (they're in France)!

Loony Quest and - having looked further - Doodle Quest look *exactly* the right sort of left-field game that I don't think my nieces will have seen before, and I think they'll take to Sushi Go as well. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Edit: What's the release order of Exit: The Game titles?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
A Feast For Odin is quite daunting at setup. I'm going to learn the solo game, but how easy is it to teach the game for a 3-4p run? I want to try and get some friends together every week or two to play games since I feel like I don't do that enough.

Also, I grabbed The Chameleon at Target. Seems like a nice simple deduction game for people who don't like to play many games.

Experien

I need to give Shadows of Brimstone one more chance but leaning towards selling it all off (once I ever get the final shipment). Any advice on where to look to sell it?

I know BGG is obvious place to check first.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I need to give Shadows of Brimstone one more chance but leaning towards selling it all off (once I ever get the final shipment). Any advice on where to look to sell it?

I know BGG is obvious place to check first.

Depends on what you have. Just core sets? Expansions? Exclusive stuff?

Top Bottom